gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
230014 Posts in 2575 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay April 29, 2024, 12:11:10 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2004 AIAKEN NEWS NETWORK JANUARY 15
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2004 AIAKEN NEWS NETWORK JANUARY 15  (Read 1109 times)

fhmmany2

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
2004 AIAKEN NEWS NETWORK JANUARY 15
« on: March 25, 2010, 03:19:47 PM »
Author  Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK APRIL 15  (Read 1758 times) 

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

AIKEN NEWS NETWORK APRIL 15
« on: April 15, 2004, 04:43:08 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOOD MORNING, EVERYONE

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

"JUNK", ---stuff you throw away.
    "STUFF", ----junk you keep!!!

Report to moderator    Logged 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 04:47:42 AM »   

Now for the news:

Surgical Tunes: Music Strikes a Chord in the OR

By Catherine Donaldson-Evans
When you’re on the operating table and just about to go under, instead of hearing the beeping of monitors or the murmur of doctors you may notice the sultry sounds of the blues, jazz or … is that Clay Aiken (search)?

Playing music during surgery is a trend that's alive and well at hospitals across the country — and doctors groove to everything from show tunes to The Smashing Pumpkins (search).  (snip)

Sagan said her surgical staff — whose operations are accompanied by Faith Hill, show tunes, classical music, Clay Aiken and Bruce Springsteen — handles that by negotiating. In one eight-hour reconstructive surgery procedure, the two doctors took turns listening their favorite CDs.

"I haven't gotten anybody who's really into rap," said Sagan. "It's kept as background music, so we don't have people running around dancing in the OR. And if something does turn critical, the CD players are immediately turned off."

FOX NEWS

(My note:  I spend part of my day in the Operating Room and we really do always having music going!!!  Now I need to figure out how to get MOAM on!!!)

Clay "is" the "News"

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 04:52:20 AM »   

ANOTHER APPEARANCE ANNOUNCED:

Clay Aiken To Perform At State Fair

INDIANAPOLIS -- "American Idol" runner-up Clay Aiken will perform during this summer's Indiana State Fair, fair officials announced Wednesday.

Aiken (pictured, left) will perform at the grandstand on Aug. 16. Tickets go on sale May 1.

Fair officials previously announced that Brooks and Dunn and Reba McEntire will appear at the fair this summer for the first time in four years.

The Indiana State Fair will run from Aug. 11 to Aug. 22.

THE INDY CHANNEL

Clay "is" the "News"

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 04:55:24 AM »   

AGAIN:

Clay Aiken to sing at State Fair

Associated Press
April 14, 2004

"American Idol" runner-up Clay Aiken will perform during this summer's Indiana State Fair, fair officials announced today.

Aiken will perform at the grandstand on Aug. 16. Tickets go on sale May 1, fair officials said.

Fair officials previously announced that Brooks and Dunn and Reba McEntire will appear at the fair this summer for the first time in four years.

The Indiana State Fair is scheduled to run Aug. 11-22.

INDYSTAR

Clay "is" the "News"

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 04:59:19 AM »   

Aiken, Clarkson give OK performances
'American Idol' duo likable but not standouts

By Matt Sebastian, Camera Music Writer
April 14, 2004

DENVER — Choosing an "American Idol" is sort of like electing a president.

Voters aren't really picking the best performer in the land; instead, armed with a pre-scrubbed slate of telegenic candidates, they tap the most likable performers available, slapping them with instant, pre-fab stardom.

It's the musical equivalent of representative democracy: Everyone can't possibly participate, so a few talented souls are chosen to stand in for the rest.

And what's so wrong with that? Judging by the giddy fan reaction at Tuesday night's "American Idol" double bill at the Pepsi Center, not much.

On the face of it, Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken — the winner and runner-up, respectively, of the Fox reality show's first two seasons — delivered exactly what was expected of them: soaring, over-the-top vocals; sappy, generic love songs; and vague, inoffensive declarations of self-empowerment.

Yet that's the problem with these two. While Clarkson and Aiken received tens of millions of votes during their respective "American Idol" runs, there's almost nothing exceptional about either star. And there's certainly nothing to justify either's status as overnight, arena-level acts.

Certainly, both "AI" stars can sing very well; they've each got strong, conventional voices that get the job done, but, in the end, don't really stand out.

In fact, the singers seem to have gotten to where they are by sheer force of personality rather than pure talent: geek-turned-hearthrob Aiken still trades on the "aw shucks" persona that made him last year's surprise stand-out, while Clarkson tempers her newfound role as a pop star with a bubbly brand of G-rated Texas charm.

Aiken opened Tuesday night's concert (the two trade off headlining chores), and appeared to be the favorite of the shrieking, not-quite-capacity crowd, a group ranging from face-painted, school-age kids to senior citizens.

Keeping with "American Idol's" karaoke theme, Aiken devoted about half of his hour-long set to covers, opening with Mr. Mister's'80s hit "Kyrie" before getting to a procession of treacly ballads from his debut, Measure of a Man.

Through it all, Aiken was in fine voice, confidently working the crowd while, seemingly, pouring himself into his songs with an almost palpable joy. After a medley of tunes by Sting, Leo Sayer and James Taylor, though, he made his only misstep of the night: offering a horrid, soulless cover of Prince's "When Doves Cry."

Dig, if you will, this picture: Clay Aiken, one of the whitest men in show businesses, turning the Purple One's stark, funk-pop classic — a song practically dripping with sex — into a bombastic and sterile number that sounded like it belonged in an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.

After a quick stage changeover, Clarkson followed this travesty with an equally predictable set, mining last year's Thankful for a string of pleasant ballads and a few more up-tempo cuts, like her monster "Miss Independent," the highlight of the night. She wrapped her performance by playing to her teen fans' parents with another vintage nugget: Journey's "Open Arms," a duet with Aiken.

Like Aiken, though, Clarkson was, in the end, neither spectacular nor embarrassing, just merely adequate. And that's really about all you'll get by trying to fabricate a consensus-building candidate, "American Idol" style.

BOULDER AT NIGHT

Clay "is" the "News"

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 05:01:43 AM »   

SALES UPDATE

The single remains in the #1 spot on the sales chart this week with 22,224 copies sold.  The four week total now stands at 197,132 copies sold.  On the Billboard singles chart, it dropped to number 61.

However, TITN/BOTW is still on the US singles sales chart at number 65. That single's sure got legs!  Let's hope for such longevity for TW/Sol!

MoaM moves up to #73 from #76 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, with sales of 19,262 units. This represents an increase of 13.5% over last week. After 26 weeks, 2,492,028 units have been sold, and next week should take us over the 2.5 million mark!  CONGRATULATIONS CLAY!

Updated charts are HERE.

Clay "is" the "News"

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 05:25:54 AM »   

Third Season 'American Idol' Contestants Sing Soul Classics on New Compilation Album, Due in Stores April 27
Wednesday April 14, 9:05 am ET

LOS ANGELES, April 14 /PRNewswire/ -- The judges have called them the "best group of 12 in the history of 'American Idol.'" The Top 12 contestants from the third season of the popular hit series have put their special touch on the greatest soul classics of all time, for a new compilation album to be released on April 27 by the RCA Records Label.
Interest in the third season contestants continues to build, thanks to the soaring ratings for "American Idol," with record highs being set this season by FOX Television. The "Greatest Soul Classics" album will be the first recorded product by this latest group of "American Idol" finalists.

This album follows the successful releases of compilation albums by the first and second season contestants, as well as multi-platinum albums by Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard, and Clay Aiken.

YAHOO

There is a song list at the site.

Clay "is" the "News"

ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 06:01:21 AM »   

once again here's some opinion of an opinion

Quote from: Matt Sebastian

...soaring, over-the-top vocals; sappy, generic love songs; And there's certainly nothing to justify either's status as overnight, arena-level acts.

man, the thing that justifies their status are the people in those seats and the sales Clay is enjoying despite everyone's complaining! the people who buy tickets and the music are who justify Clay's status. 

Quote from: Matt Sebastian

both "AI" stars can sing very well; they've each got strong, conventional voices that get the job done

and i ask all of you this: why can't a critic ever leave it there? they never do. they continue on and give their opinion on Clay's style of music and their personal hatred of it and so how can a critic give a good review if they hate the music style...read on and you'll have to agree:

Quote from: Sebastian

...he made his only misstep of the night: offering a horrid, souless cover of Prince's "When Doves Cry."; turning the Purple One's stark, funk-pop classic — a song practically dripping with sex — into a bombastic and sterile number that sounded like it belonged in an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.

and just WHAT'S so wrong with bombast and Andrew Lloyd Webber? "Memory all alone in the moonlight i can smile at the old days, it was beautiful then; when dawn comes tonight will be a memory too...look a new day has begun...touch me, it's so easy to leave me all alone with the Memory..."

Clay's songs are bombastically beautiful, so there!! look that up in your Funk and Wagnall's!

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~

lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 08:25:58 AM »   

I THINK THIS REVIEWER NEEDS TO TAKE A STEP BACK AND LOOK AT WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE.  THE PEOPLE SPEAK BY BUYING TICKETS TO HIS CONCERT AND BUYING IS CDS.  THAT IS ENOUGH FOR ME SO AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED I WILL PRETEND I DIDN'T READ THIS REVIEW.  THANKS DEANNA FOR THE INFO.

LORRAINE

LiftClayUp
Claymaniac

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 08:30:26 AM »   

Hey AC - What these critics haven't figured out is we like sappy love songs and Clay's version of "When Doves Cry".  And I love Andrew Lloyd Weber and his tunes.  If Clay sang "Memory" they would call it a love song and the way Clay sings it would be.  He sings with such love in every song.  These critics just don't get it.

Clay is our gift from GOD!!!!!

clayfannj
UltimateFan

Remember, CHEESE is a comfort food.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 08:38:22 AM »   

Dig, if you will, this picture: Clay Aiken, one of the whitest men in show businesses, turning the Purple One's stark, funk-pop classic — a song practically dripping with sex — into a bombastic and sterile number th
at sounded like it belonged in an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.

YADA DADA DADA..   AGAIN

WHAT did he say???? :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

[/quote]

It's NEVER ENOUGH!!!

Honorary Southern Belle

OBSESSIVE BIRD WATCHER

Tracking the Red -Crested Warbler
"I may be old, but I'm strong and lusty!"..Wm. Shakespeare

songbird457
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 09:34:03 AM »   

Quote from: clayMaine-iac
Now for the news:

Surgical Tunes: Music Strikes a Chord in the OR

By Catherine Donaldson-Evans
When you’re on the operating table and just about to go under, instead of hearing the beeping of monitors or the murmur of doctors you may notice the sultry sounds of the blues, jazz or … is that Clay Aiken (search)?

Playing music during surgery is a trend that's alive and well at hospitals across the country — and doctors groove to everything from show tunes to The Smashing Pumpkins (search).  (snip)

Sagan said her surgical staff — whose operations are accompanied by Faith Hill, show tunes, classical music, Clay Aiken and Bruce Springsteen — handles that by negotiating. In one eight-hour reconstructive surgery procedure, the two doctors took turns listening their favorite CDs.

"I haven't gotten anybody who's really into rap," said Sagan. "It's kept as background music, so we don't have people running around dancing in the OR. And if something does turn critical, the CD players are immediately turned off."

FOX NEWS

(My note:  I spend part of my day in the Operating Room and we really do always having music going!!!  Now I need to figure out how to get MOAM on!!!)

Once I land my music therapy job, I hope to work Clay music into my treatment plans. Happy therapist = happy clients/ patients.  :

This is what music therapy is about!!!  :D

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 10:07:41 AM »   

IT'S CLAY DAY AT HALLMARK'S KALEIDOSCOPE

Clay Aiken will join Kansas City children in a private art session at Kaleidoscope to launch the Bubel/ Aiken Foundation’s Call for Art initiative.

This event will pair children with developmental disabilities with their typical peers to create an art project together centered on the theme How Art Defines You.

Concurrent with the Kaleidoscope session, the Kansas City schools and the YMCA After-School program will create an art experience within schools across the metro-area.

Selected pieces of art created by the children will be submitted to the Bubel/Aiken Foundation.  Later, the art will be considered for holiday cards, calendars, murals, and promotional materials for the Bubel/Aiken Foundation.

The session with Mr. Aiken at Kaleidoscope is closed to the public.

KC LOVES KIDS

sjlogghe
SuperFan

Clay's Geography Tutor

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 11:33:53 AM »   

Dig, if you will, this picture: Clay Aiken, one of the whitest men in show businesses, turning the Purple One's stark, funk-pop classic — a song practically dripping with sex — into a bombastic and sterile number that sounded like it belonged in an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.

I just had to chuckle when I read this!  Doesn't anyone get that Clay knows (thinks) he can't dance??  He does it simply for his fans, because he knows we all love to see it.  And that is more than any other celebrity can say, because it seems as though they do nothing to please their fans, just themselves! 
There will always be people out there who don't like Clay's music, and that is fine.  We just have to keep showing them that he is a star, and maybe one day they will realize it also!!! 

Sarah

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2004 AIAKEN NEWS NETWORK JANUARY 15

gfxgfx
gfx