gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229963 Posts in 2575 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay April 25, 2024, 08:49:35 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  AIKEN NEWS NETWORK AUG 26, 2014
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK AUG 26, 2014  (Read 850 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
AIKEN NEWS NETWORK AUG 26, 2014
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »

Aug 25 2014, 10:44 AM
CLAY EMAIL

I wanted to be sure you saw something our campaign released on Friday. There are so many issues that are important to our district, but one that I've highlighted in this campaign and will continue to bring awareness to as a Congressman is how we serve our military and veterans.

Over the past few months, I've carefully listened to the needs and concerns of the veterans and military families here in our community. With thousands of veterans making their homes around the Fort Bragg area following their service, it's essential that the representative serving this district be an advocate for their needs in Washington. Unfortunately, their voices are too often going unheard by our current representative and in the halls of Congress.

In my recent Huffington Post article, "5 Easy Things That Members of Congress Could Be Doing for Our Military and Veterans, But Aren't," I lay out a few easy ways Congress could better serve our military and veterans. The topics range from combating veteran homelessness to properly funding the schools attended by the children of our service men and women.

Very little gets done in Washington these days, even when congressional action and attention is desperately needed. It's time for Congress to stop being reactive and start being proactive -- especially when it comes to addressing the needs of our military and veteran community. They fought to serve us. We must serve them better.

I hope you'll read and share my latest Huffington Post piece. We've got to do more for our nation's heroes. Bringing attention to their needs is a good start.

Yours,
Clay
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK AUG 26, 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:05:54 PM »

Aug 25 2014, 11:36 AM

New Gold Circle email and winner:
Good morning, CA4NC Gold Members!

It is time to reveal last week's raffle winner. Everyone, please join me in congratulating SHARON OBRECHT of Jeromesville, OH. Sharon, you are the recipient of personalized copies of a CA4NC campaign palm card and 9" x 9" placard.

CA4NC Gold Circle Weekly Raffle #9

This week’s raffle prize is:

A personalized copy of the DVD live version of Clay's 2010 "Tried and True" album
The next raffle winner will be announced on Monday, September 1st.

Thank you and good luck!

Eric Cannon

Clay Aiken For North Carolina

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:10:01 PM »

Aug 25 2014, 03:26 PM

Clay Aiken Supports Efforts to Ease the Military-to-Civilian Transition

By Rebecca Strong
Posted August 25, 2014 11:00 AM
Clay Aiken commends college's effort to ease the veteran transition.
Clay Aiken commends college's effort to ease the veteran transition.
By now, most people are well aware that Clay Aiken has a voice. The former "American Idol" contestant isn't just using it to croon, though - he's also spreading the word about the challenges veterans face. Aiken, a Democrat, is facing Republican Renee Ellmers for North Carolina's Second Congressional District seat, and a core part of his campaign has focused on increasing support for those who have served in the military.

This subject is a personal one for Aiken.

The singer told WTVD-TV that his brother, a Marine, completed two tours in Iraq. When he returned, he struggled to secure a job, which Aiken attributes to the fact that his military training didn't translate easily to college curricula or the civilian workforce. Fortunately, Fayetteville Technical Community College (FTCC) in North Carolina has made a concerted effort to ease this transition for the soldiers coming out of Fort Bragg.

A Model for Making a Difference

Over the past two years, the school has enrolled 3,000 veterans or more - the highest rate of any state college or university, according to WTVD-TV. The institution also opened an All-American Veterans Center earlier this summer, which offers services such as counseling, coaching, assistance with job placement and certification of military experience for college credit. Veterans and servicemembers who are hoping to continue their education can search FTCC's new online database to determine how their training may meet the requirements for an associate's degree, the Fayetteville Observer reports.

While touring community colleges across North Carolina, the singer stopped at FTCC to see the school's new Veterans Center. Aiken applauded the center's efforts, commenting that it could serve as an example for what should be established across the country, particularly in areas with considerable military communities.

Still, Aiken says there is much work to be done to bring attention to available veteran resources and the accessibility of mental health referrals. He stressed that servicemembers should be better educated about the full scope of benefits that can be available to them.

"When you're done with active duty the DOD sort of hands you off to the VA and there are a lot of people who fall through cracks there," he said, as quoted by WTVD-TV. "I think the federal government has an obligation. I think all of us have an obligation to do a better job of supporting people."

Getting Vets Back in the Classroom

FTCC isn't the only institution that has made these matters a top priority. The famously military-friendly Middlesex Community College, for example, has a dedicated Veterans Resource Center that assists vets in achieving their aspirations, both educational and professional. Here, they can seek out information about particular programs, gain access to college resources and find out crucial information regarding their eligibility for services sponsored by the government, state and community, according to a school press release. Then, once service members have decided what kind of academic program they wish to pursue, they can select from a wide range of daytime, evening, weekend or online options.

Meanwhile, other schools are doing their best to ensure veterans' educational success. Starting this fall, Washtenaw Community College is offering a two-credit course to current students who are veterans or currently serving in the military, the Ann Arbor Journal reports. Students will learn how to choose and prepare themselves for a career, as well as identify what training will be necessary for success in that field.

"Through this course, veterans will have the opportunity to learn about resources at WCC and in the community, become more knowledgeable about employment trends, and build a professional network," said Cristina Buzas, a college student advisor at WCC, according to the Ann Arbor Journal. "We hope this class will benefit our veterans as they move forward in their career pursuits."

http://www.usnewsuniversitydirectory.com/a...px#.U_uMZPAg9LN 

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:17:24 PM »

Aug 25 2014, 09:56 PM

Dee Snider ?@deesnider 2m
Proud to support my friend @clayfornc in his latest endeavor. Check him out and support him too: http://tinyurl.com/pva36zd #NC-02

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:26:36 PM »

Aug 26 2014, 02:10 PM

From yesterday's San Francisco Chronicle - Leah Garchik column:

-- "He's already been accused of having 'San Francisco values,' " says Armistead Maupin, "so he might as well get some San Francisco bucks." Maupin, Christopher Turner,David Perry and Alfredo Casuso are hosting a fundraiser for Clay Aiken, who first achieved fame on "American Idol" and is now running for Congress in North Carolina. The event is set for Tuesday at the Catch in the Castro. Aiken's opponent, Renee Elmers, has been endorsed by Sarah Palin.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/garchi...-up-5708840.php

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 09:32:23 PM »

Aug 26 2014, 02:58 PM

Tyra has set up a page for Clay hoping to raise $10,000

Tyra Banks
1 hr ·
I'm proud to support my friend Clay Aiken in his latest endeavor. Check him out and support him too: http://tinyurl.com/n2uwm7m ?#?NC?-02

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 09:38:37 PM »

Aug 26 2014, 06:23 PM

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Stokes...4962?fref=photo

Steve Stokes 4 District Court Judge
3 hrs · Edited ·

With Clay Aiken, Candidate for U.S. Congress

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »

Aug 26 2014, 06:36 PM

http://ladyliberty1885.com/2014/08/26/surr...-at-same-event/

Surreal Moment: Claude Pope and Clay Aiken At Same Event
Posted on August 26, 2014 by ladyliberty1885

This past Monday, I attended a Policy Matters USA (PMUSA) meeting in Cary, North Carolina. For those unfamiliar with PMUSA, it’s a group formed by former NC02 Congressional Candidate, Frank Roche. PMUSA is about raising awareness and engaging in discussion on policy issues facing both the nation and North Carolina. Check out their website for more details.

(snip)
The third speaker was Clay Aiken.
He opened with some back story about himself and his special education experience in schools and volunteering at an afterschool program the YMCA. Aiken expressed his frustration that, at the time, the YMCA didn’t have the capacity to include the kinds of special ed kids that he worked with.

Aiken then weaved that background into his appearance on American Idol and how he had spoken of that back story during his time in the limelight. “I had a microphone and a platform to talk about things and effect change”, said Aiken.

That public commentary while on American Idol opened up a slew of checks made out to the “Clay Aiken Foundation” which didn’t exist at the time. The amount apparently was around $50k. Instead of sending them back, Aiken created a group to utilize that cash called the “National Inclusion Project”.

Some highlights of his comments include (paraphrased):

Washington is not working. Sitting on legislation or not letting bills come to a vote is not right. “I am not a fan of the Pelosi rule.”
There was someone filming and Aiken noted it as he said this would get him in trouble, but that he doesn’t always agree with his party and that voted for Lauch Faircloth.
 The motivation for being in public office should be that you want to help people in your area or state.

Questions asked included how he differs from Ellmers; why should we believe or vote for you? Aiken didn’t really answer the question. He countered by saying that people expect their elected officials to be lawyers, professional politicians or similar and that this is not representative of what we did in the past. Aiken said we are “a representative democracy”.

A question asked if Aiken knew he was using a system of fundraising based on the old Organizing for America system. Aiken responded, “I don’t know what we use to get donations.” That’s not good.

Another person asked him quite pointedly about ISIS. Aiken clearly knew what ISIS was, but his response wasn’t very crisp. Aiken said that of course ISIS was a big concern, especially for North Carolina due to Fort Bragg. Aiken said that, “we need to be more aware of these groups”. Dissent from the audience came quickly with one audible reply along the lines that we are aware but aren’t doing anything.

Questions from there turned to securing the border. Aiken was asked directly about where he stands on securing the border because ‘his party doesn’t seem to want to do that’. Aiken flat-out said, “I don’t agree with them (Dem Party).” This statement garnered the only big round of applause of the evening. Aiken elaborated, ‘if we don’t spend to secure the border, we’re going to be in the same place 30 years from now’. I followed up after the meeting on that comment and made the analogy to trying to bail out a bathtub with the taps still running full blast. I expect I’ll see that same analogy used down the road by Mr. Aiken.

I also had a moment to ask Mr. Aiken about Common Core. His reply was that he didn’t believe the federal government should be directing states on standards or curriculum. Aiken but then turned around and said he did think there needed to be “commonality for commerce purposes”. I am sure the Chamber of Commerce would love that quote. Aiken’s concern seemed to be more tied to high stakes testing and the inappropriate use of it to assess teachers and predict the potential of children.

As I’ve been very engaged in the Common Core fight, I invited Mr. Aiken to learn more about Common Core. I hope he does. It is far more of a nightmare than I think he knows.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
Beth Spotswood
@bethspotswood

I write stuff for the internet. Like everyone else.
San Francisco

Beth Spotswood @bethspotswood · 3m

Waiting for @clayaiken to show up at his event in the Castro. I hope he sings "Invisible!"

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 10:01:26 PM »
Aug 26 2014, 09:54 PM

Beth Spotswood ?@bethspotswood 9m
Ha! You called it @M2Meee. Voila! #selfiewithclay photo by @clayaiken https://twitter.com/bethspotswood/status/504444256585412608/photo/1

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 10:04:50 PM »
Clays fundraiser at the Whetstone Winery was cancelled:

https://www.facebook.com/whetstonewinecellars

Whetstone Wine Cellars ATTENTION: Due the #NapaQuake many city and county officials are unable to attend this event so unfortunately we're canceling the fundraiser at this time. Thank you again for your support.
3 hours ago · Like

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 10:29:07 PM »
Luke Adams ?@DaddyLukeSF 6m
@clayaiken takes a selfie w/ me and John Newmeyer in SF. Win, Clay, win. https://twitter.com/DaddyLukeSF/status/504450278037266432/photo/1

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  AIKEN NEWS NETWORK AUG 26, 2014

gfxgfx
gfx