gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
230014 Posts in 2575 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay April 29, 2024, 11:19:25 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2003 AKIEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 4
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2003 AKIEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 4  (Read 1988 times)

fhmmany2

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
2003 AKIEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 4
« on: March 25, 2010, 12:26:14 PM »
 Author  Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 4  (Read 1232 times) 

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 4
« on: December 04, 2003, 09:03:23 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM LYCOS:

Web's Most Wanted: Most Searched Male 2003

1. Kobe Bryant (-)
2. 50 Cent (-)
3. Clay Aiken (-)
4. Eminem (1)
5. Tupac Shakur (4)
6. Nelly (2)
7. Michael Jackson (10)
8. Orlando Bloom (6)
9. Justin Timberlake (-)
10. Howard Stern (12)

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: Okay, none of the top three men of this year made last year's Top 20. But at least Kobe Bryant and 50 Cent did receive searches in 2002. On the other hand, Clay Aiken literally came out of nowhere. In January, Aiken was a 24-year-old just out of college and working with the mentally disabled in North Carolina. By midsummer, he was one of America's biggest musical superstars thanks to American Idol, and for the year he finishes as the third most-searched male on the Internet. As of this week, he's spent six consecutive months on the Lycos 50. What's most astonishing about Aiken's popularity is that his fan base, perceived as consisting of teenage girls, actually consists primarily of women aged 30 to 50.

I'd personally like to know how they know WHO exactly comprises Clay's fan base.  I know fans from 4-94, and I'm pretty sure most of the dancing crowd on TRL was not 'women aged 30-50.' 

GAH!

LYCOS 50 LINK

Report to moderator    Logged 

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 09:59:14 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From p. 105 in the upcoming January issue of J-14 magazine:

Pg. 105 - they ask celebs which cartoon character they are most like; this is Clay's answer:

"I'm Boo-Boo [from the Yogi Bear cartoon; btw, Ruben picked Yogi! ], because Boo-Boo was running his mouth all the time & was the brains of the operation.  I don't mind being the side-kick."

Yeah!  And Boo Boo was 'smarter than the average bear.' 

Some of you may be too young to remember Yogi Bear and Boo Boo.
Oh and I am too.  Yeah.  That's the ticket.

outthereforclay
  gonna get myself a pickanic basket!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 10:27:22 AM »   

Pamela my dear, some delusions are totally harmless...so you just keep on believing you're too young to remember Yogi and Boo Boo :  :

Huckleberry Hound? Who's that? :

(by the way, when I was a kid, I named our family dog after Boo Boo bear!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 12:59:05 PM »   

The Grammy nominations have been announced.

Kelly Clarkson was nominated for Best Female Pop Vocal for Miss Independent.

Ruben Studdard was nominated for Best male R&B Vocal fpr Superstar.

No noms for Clay this year, but remember - he has already been nominated for three major awards this year, and has already won the AMA Fan's Choice award.

Congratulations to Kelly and Ruben for their nominations!

outthereforclay
  I just don't get it....
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 01:11:15 PM »   

Sorry to be a pooper here, guys, but I find Reuben's nomination totally out of my range of comprehension!

How much airplay did that single get? Does anyone know? We know what the sales were....

I just don't get it....once again, the music industry machine blows my mind! Reuben is JUST NOW starting to get noticed in December as his CD is coming out and he's nominated for a GRAMMY?!?!?!?!?

Kelly's nomination doesn't surprise me as much...that song DID get a lot of attention and airplay and DOES fit nicely into the "genre" that the industry is hyping to us.

I guess I just don' :? t understand it all. Here Clay has been all over the place, outselling just about everyone with everything he's done, his CD being called the "best pop album of 2003" by Billboard Magazine, his single the 2nd best seller ever, his album being the first in Clive Davis' memory to be shipped double platinum in the first week, his rankings consistently above and beyond either Kelly's or Reuben's....

Of course, now that the nominees have been announced (serendipitously for Reuben :roll: ) just before his CD is released, it can't help but help sales. So....I go back to my posts of yore....

The music industry is a master puppeteer. I hope Reuben does have success and I've always liked Kelly, too. I just get frustrated when logic seems so "askew".

I just don't get it.... :?

lorilovesgolf
UltimateFan

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 01:16:25 PM »   

I know what you mean - it  just blows my mind.  Clay has certainly proven himself all over the place (tv, radio, talk shows, his cd) on how popular he is but the industry just wants to ignore it.  I am happy for Ruben but I don't think he deserves a grammy for Superstar.  It just makes no sense to my.  Clay will be a winner where it counts.

"Some men walk and find their place in the world...
Some men show the world their walk." Author Unknown.
Official Charter Member of OCD

sjmcdona
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 01:35:37 PM »   

Without being disrespectful to the nominees, to NOT nominate Clay is completely ignoring his record sales, TRL success, and his AMA award. I am hopeful that by next year he will be respected by all facets of the entertainment industry. Even if he is never completely accepted by the "critics," as long as he has great fans, sells records and he is having fun, to  :evil:  with what they think!! He can laugh ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK!!  :

caramel131
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 01:52:07 PM »   

Exactly what is the criteria the industry follows when nominating an artist?  I am totally confused.  I can understand him not being nominating in the R&B category, but what about pop.  This is really becoming very frustrating.  Clay's rendition of BOTW and TITN received more accolades than Ruben's version of Superstar.  Is this a pity vote, because it was a song previously recorded by Luther Vandross and now because he is sick, it has been dedicated to him by Ruben?  Clay has been sought after more than any artist this year?  The cards are not adding up here.

playingclay
Claymaniac

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 02:49:06 PM »   

Thanks so much Pamela for the Aiken News Network daily.  I only have a few minutes to be online today so it is what I always check for. :D

And Pamela our 25 year old Clay knows Boo Boo...  Though I have seen it on TV recently.  When I was a kid, I had a stuffed bear that I called Boo Boo.  I loved Boo Boo. :D

Now about these Grammy nominations..... Having read the article that Pam posted on the ANN yesterday, I didn't expect to see Clay get nominated but then to nominate both Kelly and Rueben and NOT Clay!!  I agree with Outtherforclay and everyone else.  Kelly, I can definately understand.  But at this point in time, Superstar is the only thing that is out there for Rueben and it didn't get that great of a reception.  Clay has both the success of TITN and his CD.  I would have thought that, at the very least, he should have been nominated for best new artist or best pop male.  That is what he does! Pop and he is darn goood at it.  To have the best selling single since Candle in the wind and then be ignored is a travesty.  He showed that it wasn't just a flash in the pan by his CD being so successful. 
 :evil:  :evil:  No wonder they whine that the industry is going down the tubes, they don't know what to do with a successful  artist.

Love my clayshake---warm milk and a couple of scoops of vanilla icecream....especially at bedtime.
Keeper of the wind to blow the shirts up.

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2003, 02:59:54 PM »   

Quote from: caramel131
Is this a pity vote, because it was a song previously recorded by Luther Vandross and now because he is sick, it has been dedicated to him by Ruben?  Clay has been sought after more than any artist this year?  The cards are not adding up here.

caramel131, it's not a pity vote because guess who else is nominated in the R&B category?  Yes, Luther himself, for Dance with my Father, which is an outstanding song by the way.

I know it's frustrating and confusing.  I do feel that although the Grammys are the benchmark for music awards, they are still an indicator of the good old boy network in the industry.  This is why I thought it incredible that anyone from AI was nominated at all.  Those people in the industry that decide the nominations are probably the movers and shakers; the ones who control it all.  For them to nominate someone, anyone outside their 'system' is noteworthy.

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 03:05:29 PM »   

We cannot be complacent.  Yes, Invisible was #1 yesterday, but we must remain diligent in our voting!  I know Clay appreciates it, because if you signed up for his TRL street team like I did, you got an audio message from him in your email thanking you for voting for him.

That's right!  Go check your email if you get the daily street team reminders!   

Please vote online as much as possible today!

And don't forget to call too - 30 minutes prior to the show!  Thanks!

VOTE FOR INVISIBLE ON TRL!

Vote online all day!

You can only call in thirty minutes prior to the show.
TRL starts at 5pm EST, so that means you can call from 4:30pm-5pm EST, and then adjust for your time zone.

The phone number is 1-800-DIAL-MTV (1.800.342.5688)
CALL from 4:30pm - 5:00pm (Eastern)
CALL from 3:30pm - 4:00pm (Central)
CALL from 2:30pm - 3:00pm (Mountain)
CALL from  1:30pm - 2:00pm (Pacific)

If voting by name (option "1") enter 2-5-2 (C-L-A)
If voting by video (option "2") enter 4-6-8 (I-N-V)

Remember, everyone is calling at the same time so don't be
discouraged by a busy signal, you will get through!
You can call and vote THREE times PER PHONE LINE/PER DAY!
IMPORTANT:  The first 10 minutes is the easiest time to get through.

Thanks for voting!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2003, 03:33:56 PM »   

The Grammy nominees for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance:

Christina Aguilera
Kelly Clarkson
Dido
Avril Lavigne
Sarah McLachlan

The Grammy nominees for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance:

George Harrison
Michael McDonald
Sting
Justin Timberlake
Warren Zevon

The Grammy nominees for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance:

R. Kelly
Brian McKnight
Ruben Studdard
Tyrese
Luther Vandross

I thought R. Kelly was arrested for a sex crime.  Hmm.  I guess not.
I pick Sarah McLachlan, George Harrison and Luther Vandross to win.

HERE is the Grammy site.

FAITH
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2003, 03:41:22 PM »   

Sorry to be a 'brat' as well! I totally agree with outthere's comments and feelings!

cjrmax
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2003, 04:11:41 PM »   

The Grammy nominees for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance:

George Harrison
Michael McDonald
Sting
Justin Timberlake
Warren Zevon

Ok, who cares if Justin is the onlyone under 50.  Its interesting that 2 of them are dead!  But I AM THRILLED!!! MY GEORGE HARRISON WAS NOMINATED!!!! HE'S BEEN DEAD FOR 2 YEARS NOW AND HE'S NOMINATED??  Seriously - George was my first love, my first music industry obsession.  And my only music industry obsession until Clay!!  I want him to win.  He never cared much about awards, but how wonderful it would be if he won this last one.  I LOVE GEORGE HARRISON!!!!

Ok, now you know I have had years and years of practice being obsessive about someone!

GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

ANN
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2003, 04:40:55 PM »   

I CANNOT HELP IT EITHER.  I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THE GRAMMY'S.  UNTIL THANKSGIVING, YOU HARDLY EVEN SAW REUBEN, LET ALONE HEARD HIM.  I KNOW THAT CLAY WOULD BE UPSET WITH ME SAYING THIS, BUT I CAN'T HELP IT.  HOW COULD HE HAVE BEEN IGNORED SO BADLY?  IS THIS THE YEAR TO HONOR ONLY THOSE WHO ARE DEAD OR SICK?  I LOVED THE BEATLES ALSO (PAUL WAS MY FIRST OBSESSION AND ONLY ONE UNTIL CLAY.).  I THINK IT IS NEAT THAT GEORGE IS NOMINATED, BUT, LET'S GET REAL HERE. CLAY HAS ONLY BEEN IN THIS BUSINESS 6 MONTHS, BUT SO HAS REUBEN.  FAIR IS FAIR. I DON'T KNOW WHY, BUT THIS REALLY UPSETS ME.  I DIDN'T EXPECT HIM TO BE NOMINATED A LOT, BUT.......... I JUST CANNOT SEEM TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL BETTER ABOUT THIS.  NOW I AM WORRIED ABOUT THE BILLBOARD AWARDS.  COULD THEY SCREW UP AGAIN?  IS IT BECAUSE CLAY WAS SECOND AND NOT FIRST AND REUBEN WAS FIRST? SOMEONE MAKE ME FEEL BETTER.

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER

grammaof6
SuperFan

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2003, 06:33:50 PM »   

You guys, Chill. I've been saying for a long time that Clay is up against a tidalwave. Because of who he is, what he is, and what he stands for, he will always be the "enemy" in the secular music industry as it functions today. He's stayed firm in his beliefs and image under very strong pressure by the industry. That is something to truely admire in this day and age. 

The Music World might give him a few tidbits now & then to keep his fans quiet, but I expect it'll be a long time before he'll be totally accepted as a legitimate music star. Think about it however, because Clay IS Clay, isn't that why we love him so much? His journey will be lighter is we stay fan faithful and continue to uplift him, support him, BUY & VOTE! Maybe eventually he'll be recognized as the talent he is, but again, I suspect it will be a long time. STAY STRONG & STAY COMMITTED! The rest is up to Clay whether he want's to go the distance or go back to teaching.

It's frustrating and irritating and very unfair, but would you rather have another Justin, 50 Cent, Kid Rock ---- or do you want CLAY!!!!!

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2003 AKIEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 4

gfxgfx
gfx