gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229998 Posts in 2575 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay April 28, 2024, 01:43:05 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Joseph & Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat 2013  |  Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat RECAPS, PICTURES
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat RECAPS, PICTURES  (Read 67444 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat RECAPS, PICTURES
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2013, 08:11:49 AM »
MERCEDES AT CV

Hi guys! We're in beautiful Maine. Clay was magnificent and Ncwannabe will give you one of her super duper recaps.

I will share a silly conversation I had with the guard at the porta potty station this afternoon at the venue. I commented that I thought it was a great idea to have them set up outdooors because there were hardly any lines. The nice young gurard said they were set up for only the full house shows and all 'Josephs absolutely Sell out. They credited Clay and his Claynation. They are thrilled he's here and doing fantastic in the box office and happy he we are here for him. He was sweet and sincere.. It's a win for him. I can't tell you how many locals asked if we were here to see Clay.
They are all sweet and happy he's here and of course that we've(all of us and more to come)been around here too.
Seeing double,, it's getting late..
Show was more than what I expected,, see Ncwannabes future post.. She's good....
Nite. Nite. Ambien is working.........xOX
Btw.. We went to the piano bar and it was rocking tonight. We loved it
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2013, 08:16:39 AM »
(ncwannabe @ Aug 8 2013, 02:05 AM)
Tidbits that I remember:

(This will be full of horrible typos and lack of grammar and caps and spelling cause I cant type kn this tablet for shit. Its a nightmare!!!)

When he first comes out, a giant book of Joseph slides to the side and he appears backlit through the fog. He begins to sing ADWD and he's looking at the childrdn as he sings it he looks at them suth such love and tenderness in his syes, with a smile playjng at the corners of his mouth. At the bridge of fhe song he steps forward and looks out and becomes distraught and emotional T what he is singing. He sort of sighs and then catches himself to coms back to the present and once again becomes serene and again smiles at the children as he finishes the song.

He smiles and shares a book with his father as they show that he is the favorite son. Joseph beams at his father, who clearly adores him they show them talking but you dont hear it as the narrarator is singing but you see jacob tell joseph to cover his eyes so joseph covers his eyes and his dad surprises him with the coat. Joseph shows wonder in his face at gstting the coat and thdy place it on him. He bdgins to twirl around with it and he is so gèeky and innocent and playfull as he does so, all conveyed perfectly thdough his facial expressions and body language.

He falls to his knees repeatedly throughout the show as he is first sold into slavery and when thrown in jail he gets manhandled qjite a bit. At one point he gets dragged across the stage on his knees (matinee) and his elbows and chest (evening).

CED was sublime both shows fhsre are a few notes he hits that are gasp worthy and are so classic clay. I was so impressed with his acting skills on this song. He is lying there, beaten and broken on the floor. His entire body shakes as he is crying he is sprawled sith his legs and arms akilter. When they first place the chains on his wrists the guard roughly pulls his hands out from under him so his upper body drops to ths floor. He begins to sing while his head is still down on fhe floor with his hair splayed all around. At the matjnee, when he raised his head while singing, his hair was in his face and since his hands were chained he couldnt push it back right away. So the hair wkuld blow up n fhen he finally buys in and this incredible smils lights and away frlm his mouth as he sang, until he could finally push it back as joseph in character.

In go joseph when the kids are singing to him to not give up he starts to look at them and he is taking it all in with a pensive look on his face but as it goes on he gains belief and this incredible grin comss out and it is like a beacon of light and his eyes twinkle and I swear that smile complstely transforms him. He stands up and pulls on his chajns and they bfeak free from his wrists.

Whsn potifers wife seduces him the choreography is fun. He finally sort of gets thrown down on his back over thebed with his head hanging over the side. Hd does tell us he "doesnt bslieve in free love" lol

When he is listening to the pharoh to try to interpret his dream he listens very intently and is rather amazes by the goings on of the dancers and whatnot. At the end of the pharohs song the dancers fall to the floof and lid fhre not moving. Joseph reaches down to the one female dancer and pokes her with his long slender finged as if to see if shes still alive, cute! When pharoh makes joe his number two and gives him the gold adornments, thd girls are gathef round him and cloy amd paw him. At one point they circle him and you lose sight of him and then suddenly he comes crawling out of the circld looking back at them as he sheepishly crawls away.

When the brothers come to get help and dont ddcognize him , joe is playing them. He tells them somethjng, and whdn they look away he sort of looks to the audience with a self satisfied laugh and a rathef smug grin. He rolls his eyes at them. And he glares daggers at them when he is listenkng to their tale of woe. Like if looks could kill! Lovd thd way he sings this part. So forcefull and powerf

He rides out on his golden chariot near the end. He gets off the charkot and is singjng ADWD again to thd childfen whdn he sees jacob approach. He only has eyes for his fathdr as he moves through the crowd to get to him. Hes singing lyrics something like seeing if what he thought he was seeing was real. Jacob has his head down and joe approaches him and lifts his head and grasps his hands ànd sings right to hkm looking into his face with such joy that he is seeing hisbeloved father again.

At the end of the song joe and narrorator are holdkng hands and singing toward each other and joe has a huge grin kn his face.

At the end of the megamix joe had his arm around narrator's neck and she would put her microphone in front of clay, sort of cutely sharing her microphone with him. When they have all taken their bows and its time tl leave fhe stags clY has a huge coat of colors on with a huge train sk as he leaves the bdofhers characters gather it up and clay walks backward off the stagd pulling them off as they hold onto the long coat.

I ABHOR TYPING ON THIS THING!! Soooooo sorry this is awful it has taken me hours to type this on this keyboard. AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
Chris @ Aug 7 2013, 12:35 PM) *
Just got home from Maine late last night and want to go right back again. It’s beautiful there. We saw the show Saturday night and Sunday night. There was no show on Monday. We had such an incredible time. I laughed so much and cried and was just grinning from ear to ear. The show is fantastic. I have always loved Spamalot but this is so much better. Clay was amazing! We had great center seats so I saw all his facial expressions and just about died inside when he was being kicked and pushed and thrown into a hole. I don’t know what’s in the hole but it’s not that big. He’s on the brothers’ uplifted arms laying on their hands with his arms raised straight up in the air and they just jettison him into the hole feet first. I kept thinking he could be hurt because they just threw him in a flash and he was gone. Later they pull him up by his arms and he’s just fine. The second night I held my breath when they did it and still felt uneasy about his safety. Hopefully there are people in that hole who catch him.
The entire cast was first rate. We enjoyed everyone in the show. Our special favorites after Clay were Elvis, the brothers and the narrator. I could not believe that I was laughing through a bible story but it was done so well it seemed everyone enjoyed it a lot and had a great time.
During intermission we went to get some souveniers and the lady and man selling them asked us where we came from. We said Pennsylvania and the lady asked us directly if we came because of Clay. We smiled and said yes we did. She then told us that they knew of Clay but didn’t realize he had such a huge fan base that will travel to see him. She said the theater has never been this full and that Clay has the best fans. The man was very impressed how many people have flown in to see the show because of Clay. He said that never happened there before. Most people vacation there and come to see whatever is playing at the time. They were amazed at all the fans who travelled from across the country and Canada just to see Clay. They said he’s the biggest draw that they ever had and were very pleased at the attendance. I don’t have the exact figures but it looked 99.9% full for both nights

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2013, 06:55:27 PM »
Amore welcomed Clay Aiken today for breakfast! He's AWESOME as Joseph in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the Ogunquit Playhouse! He said of our seaside town, that before coming here, his home state of North Carolina was the the most beautiful place! He could be convinced that we are at least tied!!
[attachment=44966:amore.jpg]

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2013, 01:28:17 AM »
Usher said its nearly a full house. I spy only 1 empty seats on the bb7 which is blocked view. The usher said "this is good!!"
DEEMER

Yes Clay was not at the talk back. Many of the brothers. Jacob &pontifera's wives and pharaoh were there
They said Clay was sweet and a regular guy one of the family. Says he is very funny and teases the brothers as a brother would. Later they were asked if they had to audition and they did. Pharaoh actor said he auditioned by video. Had been an Elvis fan when young and even had nickname Elvis. But now not as big a fan as one of the wives who reminded us Aug 15 death anniversary. She's big Elvis fan. On auditions they added that Clay didn't audition so only way he's not normal ( laughingly ).

to elaborate on what one of the wives said. She said she saw Clay on idol when she was young and thought he'd be quiet southern boy. She said he's not - not quiet. He's funny and SASSY. She was surprised. The person who said Clay was sweet-- be said sweet twice was I think Judah be sings the calipso song--- oh no not be Benjamin's as straight as a bamboo tree--- by the way this particular actor is taller than Clay I noticed. Program says his name is Nicholas Ward

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2013, 01:28:50 AM »
Ogunquit Playhouse @OgunquitPH

Packed, I mean, PACKED matinee right now. Tweet us if you're here (during intermission/after show) & tell us what you thought of the showQUOTE
Ogunquit Playhouse @OgunquitPH

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2013, 01:33:31 AM »
GOODLIFE 5

Interesting note about the matinee show today, is that Keala took a fall as she was stepping off the center stage steps and heading off stage. She did recover and completed the show but it was a hard tumble. At the talkback one of the actors noted that she was ok but whether she was or not she'd have to be the remaining shows as there are no understudies or swings to replace any of the actors.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2013, 01:43:28 AM »
FROM FACEBOOK
Brenda Seely
CLAY AIKEN was amazing today in Joseph and the technicolor Dream Coat!!! Sold out crowd at the Playhouse. Catch it if you can!!!!Music to die for!!!

Jessica Morin
Going to see clay Aiken tonight in Joseph and the techno colored dream coat! Very excited!

Paul Kit
Joseph and his crazy raincoat starring Clay Aiken — at Ogunquit Playhouse
(This comment includes some pictures of them waiting outside the Playhouse)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »
ncwannabe

s mentioned, Clay wasn't there for the talk back. But it was still quite entertaining. It was basically the brothers and the female dancers plus the guys who play Pharoh and Jacob. They were very nice and engaging. Someone did ask (and it was totally appropriate) about what it was like to work with Clay.

They said he was great. One guy said that when he first heard it, he was a little apprehensive (my paraphrasing - not his word) just because they didn't know what he would be like. But he has fit in beautifully and he's part of the family. One said about how funny he is, another said he was sweet. One said he was sassy. And one guy said that they're all like brothers. Since they play brothers in the show, Clay teases them like brothers! He'll call them out on things. One girl said that she had seen him on Idol and thought he'd be this good ole country boy and all quiet and reserved. Said she was totally surprised by him and I think she's the one who called him sassy. One said Clay is just one of them - when they met him he became no longer Clay Aiken (in air quotes) but is just Clay - a part of their theatre family.

They were talking about auditions - they said they all auditioned but it could be in various ways or thru different channels. As they were explaining the process, they summed it up by saying "so yes, we all had to audition." Then one piped up and said "well, Clay didn't have to audition!"

We saw the guy who plays Pharoh later after the evening show as he was leaving and we were talking to him and started talking about Clay and he said they're both from the south so they have a connection and they get along great - as Clay does with everyone. He said Clay does well with handling fame, but says he's also not totally open and likes to guard his privacy and protects his son.

Clay did stage door for the evening show. There obviously wasn't one because of the talk back for the matinee.

Eta to add some answers to questions:

Debk - sorry to miss you! But yes, the stage door is easy to find. It's on the left side as you look at the theatre about midway down the building. And yes, the girl Elvis fan had his death anniversary date correct - and told us to mark our calendars.

As a side note - we saw Kaela later that evening in town and she said she was hurting a bit, but she's okay and the show must go on. She said the theatre didn't want her to wear her heels for the evening show (her tumble was during the matinee) but she said she told them that if she didn't get right back to wearing them again, then she wouldn't do it. And she did just fine in the evening show. We told her we loved her performance and she was extremely gracious in thanking us.

One other detail I forget in my recap. The brothers were teasing and taunting Joseph by stealing his book from him as he was reading and walking along. They would toss it to each other as Joe tried to grab it back from them and at one point they lifted him so he was parallel to the ground as this arms were outstretched in front of him reaching for the book as they held it just out of his reach.

Oops - one more thing. I saw someone asked if Clay sang the colors correctly. Luckily, he doesn't have to sing them. He's busy doing a LOT of twirling at the time!!!

I think that's it.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2013, 08:19:57 PM »
deemer

he takes his golden cup and hides it in Benjamin's sack --this is just as he is going to do that -- then accuses someone of stealing, pretending to be sending Benjamin to jail for this. The brothers beg and offer themselves instead and the narrator says he realizes they are now honest men and then says don't you recognize my face? He reveals himself as Joseph, their brother and then hugs them and Benjamin. Benjamin is his only full brother, their mother Rachel (whom Jacob loved the most) had only Joseph and Benjamin. She died in giving birth to Benjamin (these last details are not in the play, they are from the Bible).

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »
(vjm @ Aug 9 2013, 03:36 PM)
Reactions from Friday, 8.3 and Saturday, 8.4

I don't know how relevant reactions are when they are a week after the event, but these thoughts have been rolling around in my brain, so I might as well post them

I LOVED the show and everything about the experience in Ogunquit. What a great weekend! My only regret is that I can't go back. I'd love to be there closing weekend. The theater is charming, the show is fun and energizing, the town is full of things to do, and with the exception of 2 curmudgeons at the gas station on Main Street, the people were friendly and helpful.

Highlights of the show, for me:

Close Every Door - Clay's delivery of this song is stunning, not just through his singing voice which defies my descriptive skills, but also through his inflections and body language. I have many favorite performances of songs by Clay over the years, and this one is among those at the top of my list. He connects so well with this song and you feel Joseph's anguish.

Go, Go, Go, Joseph - This is the song that keeps playing in my head. When the children gather around him with their luminaries (am I remembering that correctly?) and encourage him through this song, it just made me smile. What a thrill for them! Beyond that, though, they were very effective. They made me want to join in their cheers and pull for Joseph. My favorite line is "We read the book and you come out on top." Wouldn't it be great if we all knew that things would turn out well when we are in the midst of a situation that we can't imagine getting better? The children's voices were very sweet and sincere. I loved that scene!

Joseph in Egypt with his groveling brothers - I don't remember exactly why this was a highlight, just that it was. I loved the emotion in Clay's voice when he called out Benjamin, later when the told the brothers who he was, and especially when he was re-united with Jacob. I love the way he sings the word 'patricide.' I loved it all.

Stage Door Friday night - There was a young girl (11 or 12 years old, I'd guess) who was standing on the low wall on the side of the theater very close to the Stage Door and she was calling to her uncles, telling them where to stand so that they were most likely to get Clay's autograph. She was promising them that she'd get Clay to see them, and indeed, he did. The two uncles were the men with Down's Syndrome that others have written about. Clay was going through the line very quickly, signing as he went, but when he got to the end and saw these men, he put his arms around them for pictures and one of them kissed Clay on the cheek. I loved that Clay gave them special attention and that they were so obviously thrilled, as was the girl I assume was their niece.

Another tidbit - While Clay was moving down the line (I think it was Friday, could have been Saturday), a tall man in the back of the crowd yelled something like "Great job in Apprentice," to which Clay replied something like "Yeah, something else to lose." He was laughing a bit when he said it. I love that people recognize Clay for his role in TCA

Stage Door Saturday night - Some of the children from the cast came around to the Stage Door, were waiting excitedly for Clay him to come out, and strategizing how to get his autograph. One mother came over to ask her daughter why she didn't just get his autograph back stage, but the child was insistent that she wanted to get it in the crowd. A boy and girl were searching for a pen, obviously unaware of the stashed Sharpie. They found a pencil, but the girl said it wouldn't work on her iPad. The boy asked why she was getting her iPad signed and she said because she took it with her everywhere and it was 'current.' He just nodded. I moved out of their way to help the get closer, and apologize to the fans behind me who weren't happy with me for that. At least I stepped out of everyone's way. Sorry...... the kids were short and there was no way they'd get in otherwise.

The Brothers - They were great! Very funny, expressive and great performers!

Some miscellany:

Some thoughts on character of Joseph - Joseph, as a character, didn't hold together in my experience. Joseph at the opening didn't seem to be the same person as Joseph in Potipher's household who didn't seem to be the same person as Joseph in prison who didn't seem to be the same person as the Joseph who triumphed in the end. It could be the way the character was written, the way Clay performed the role, the way the director wanted the character to be portrayed.... I don't know. I'm not judging, just saying how the character hit me. I liked all of the Josephs, they just felt disjointed. If I over-analyze (as if I already didn't  ), I might think that it makes sense for Joseph to change given what he experienced, but that explanation just doesn't seem to fit, at least not to me. In the beginning, Joseph hit me as somewhat awkward, more of a bumbler than a dreamer, and I can see how some people saw bits of Sir Robin in him. In Potipher's household he seemed more of a match to the campiness of the show. In prison he was intense and serious, appropriately so, of course. In the end he seemed the most natural.

Promo pic - I wasn't going to share this tidbit, as that particular turd has been throughly stirred, but I decided to go ahead as the experience was genuine. Let me just say that I don't like the promo picture, but don't have any emotional reaction to it. It doesn't bother me, I just think it was a less-than-optimal choice for promotion. cagney and I were on the deck of a restaurant in town very late on Friday night and had a very friendly waitress who practically joined us for dinner as she wasn't busy. We talked about a variety of things, and eventually the fact that we came from Jospeh came up. There was a large poster for the show on the deck and she looked at it and made some comment about finding the picture to be ...... I don't remember the word she used, but it meant something like 'strange.' There was nothing mean-spirited about her comments, just her honest reaction. We told her that he didn't look like that in the show, and that the wig, in particular, was not like that. One of us (I think it was cagney showed her the chains picture and she was surprised and said it was much better. I had my playbill and showed her the picture of Clay in the cast bio section so she'd see what he looks like out of costume. She was, again, surprised. The bartender came over at some point and joined the conversation and made similar comments. She said that "even the gay guys" thought the picture was "over the top." Again, there was nothing mean spirited about her comments. Anyone who has been to Ogunquit knows that it is a very gay friendly town, and she was no exception. Obviously, this picture is not keeping people from the show. The great attendance has been commented on many times. It still has an effect on people's perceptions of Clay, though.

Hopes for Next Summer - I hope Clay goes back to Ogunquit. It's not easy for me to get there, but I'd go annually if he were appearing Hey, Sally Struthers is a regular there, maybe Clay will go back! cagney and I are already planning our next trip!

I hope everyone has as great an experience at the show as I did. It's among my best Clay trip memories

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2013, 08:23:57 PM »
deemer

It may look like there are two different golden head-dresses, but really it is the same one. As his chariot comes out it moves into the light and the shot where he faces left and then faces right are really only seconds apart. I think as he tilts his head down the top just looks larger when he is in the light.

The other crown, as explained in earlier answer to your question, is from the scenes before, he has the headband with the blue jewels once he is chosen by Pharaoh. Some handmaidens come out and give him the neck piece and cuff pieces and the narrator puts on the headband/crown. But, after that they go to a song the brothers sing (sing, dancing, sing) and then when they come to Egypt, Clay comes out and his hair has been very neatened, he looks all pressed and neat. I don't know if he really changes his shirt or they just straighten him up, but his hair/wig looks great at this point. That is the scene the headband/crown pics are from.

BTW, in the scene with Pharaoh in the hard hat, the ladies keep grabbing Joseph(Clay) and telling how much they love him. They are really getting into it -- I think more embellished last night. One went down at his feet and grabbed his leg. They stare at him like adoring fans. LOL is he giving them hints? Or have they fallen too?

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2013, 08:25:08 PM »
said Faye and Parker are 3rd row dead center ..this should be fun for Parker

I think they were talking about Parker's hair being blond and wavy.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2013, 08:46:09 PM »
WOW!! Listening to cellstream and Close Every Door was so very emotional!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2013, 09:06:42 PM »
Sarah McCannon ?@SarahMcCannon 1m
After watching @clayaiken's performance of 'Close Every Door' I am BITTER that he came in second place on American Idol #rubenstuddard

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Joseph & Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat 2013  |  Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat RECAPS, PICTURES

gfxgfx
gfx