gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229517 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 11:21:33 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Joseph & Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat 2013  |  Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat RECAPS, PICTURES
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat RECAPS, PICTURES  (Read 63579 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat 2013
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2013, 12:15:09 AM »
August 3 EVENING

(cindilu2 @ Aug 3 2013, 11:25 PM)
Most fun I have had in years. YEARS!!! The entire cast is outstanding and each of them deserve whatever amounts of applause/cheers they get. Most of them have much more rousing songs than Clay does - of course they get the rowdy applause. They also stay on stage longer and milk it (part of the staging of the show). Probably helps to make it seem like they have more/louder applause, but I don't believe for a minute they were getting any more respect or appreciation than Clay. Not from the people around me, anyway. Clay is the STAR of the show and everybody reacted accordingly.

IMO The role of Pharaoh is written to be a scene stealer, and this actor lives up to it. Funny as hell, charming and hot. The brothers are all wonderful and look like they're having the time of their lives on stage. Canann Days is the funniest part of the show, IMO, and this version of it is better than the DVD version (also IMO). "Ruben" is a freaking hoot, and he can sing. Keala is definitely different as Narrator and at first it seemed odd (given how use to Maria Friedman I am) but she was marvelous and had a great comic flair that I never saw from Maria (DVD Narrator). Loved her!!

And Clay absolutely knocked it out of the park. Vocally, he is unparalleled. Watching him sing to the kids at the start is just wonderful. He looks at each one of them individually, smiling and his eyes are just sparkling. His interpretation of the songs (both Any Dream and Close Every Door) is much more emotional and somehow more innocent than Donny's (and others I've heard) and it just makes them that much better for me. I love his change ups to CED and I had chills from the first note to the last. At the matinee there was an NJU and her three daughters sitting next to me and she had to show me her arms when he was done- said he gave her goosebumps!! There is so much of the play where Clay has no lines - he's only reacting to everything happening around him. That's a tough thing to do and he pulls it off very well. He doesn't have the flashy scenes that the brothers and Pharaoh do, but he is absolutely the heart of the show. In the scenes where he has to act, like when he accuses Benjamin, he does it very, very well.

One thing I thought was amusing - during the Potiphar scene, he gives Joseph a big stack of cash which Joseph then puts in his pocket. After he's taken away to jail, for however long (months? years?) he was in there, when he's 'freed' at the end of Go Go Go Joseph, he still has the cash in his pocket, lol. Not that I was checking out his front pockets in the white pants. Uhhuh.

Reading back briefly, I saw the report of the 'ex-broadway critic'. I was also told this story but there was an additional comment made by this 'critic' (not about Clay) that completely negated any credibility their opinion had for me. Whatever, honey. I also couldn't disagree more about the children. They were not frantic or out of place at all. This play is about telling the story to the children for heaven's sake. They are meant to be a part of it all.

I just had to add - I had row A (which is second row) and row B tickets today - left of center, and they are by far the best seats I've ever had for anything. LOVED!!! If you can get them, do it!!!
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2013, 12:17:58 AM »
August 3 M

(Cherie @ Aug 4 2013, 11:36 AM)
(Floridaiken @ Aug 3 2013, 04:25 PM)
Close Every Door OMG!!!!! Had me in tears y'all! So emotionally sung.
Real tears.... believe you me! The man is one helluvan actor!
I feel so fortunate to be seeing this and wish everyone could see it!

You weren't the only one crying. He was absolutely amazing on Close Every Door. The tears were running down my face through the entire song and even though I wiped them away when the song was over, my eyes kept leaking for awhile after. I kept telling my husband later on that evening that I would love to get my hands on a recording of that song exactly the way he sang it Saturday afternoon. It was perfection. He couldn't have sung it any better.

To be perfectly honest, I was worried that I was going to be disappointed because after listing to the little snippets that were posted the other day, I wasn't thrilled with the way he sang Any Dream Will Do. To me it sounded like he completely changed the melody and I wasn't liking what I was hearing. But Saturday afternoon, he sang it the way I've always heard it and I was very happy. There was one part in the show that surprised me so much so that I let out a little shriek. It was after Joseph's brothers took his coat from him, they picked him up and dropped him in a hole in the floor. I wasn't expecting it so it totally caught me off guard.

I also wanted to add that my seats were fantastic. I was complaining a little bit the other day because I was worried that being so far to the right at the end of the row, that I might not be able to see everything. But I was actually closer to the stage then I imagined and because of a raised platform that was there, my wheelchair was positioned so that I was much higher then the rows in front of me so my view of the stage was wonderful. It didn't matter to me that I wasn't sitting in the center. Where I was sitting was perfect. I don't know if there will be any Clack or not, but I'm thrilled that I was able to go just this one time and have the memories logged in my brain.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 12:35:30 AM »
RHODE ISLAND FAN  Aug 4 2013, 07:14 PM

Took the granddaughters ( 8 and 10) to see Joseph today. Incredible!! I cannot wait to see it again.

His voice gave me chills when he sang "Close Every Door"--picture the "chain" picture at the end of the song.

I felt as if I saw a lot of Sir Robin in Joseph--that same sweet innocence was there.

The show itself is fantastic--the music just has you tapping your feet. The kids loved it. We were in row W -way near the back, but still good seats. The place was packed except for the two rows in front of us-gave us a much better view, especially for the kids. It was perfect. He got enthusiastic applause for everything.

I also really love the narrator--can see why she was Tony nominated.

I'm not good at remembering details, but I always like to mention audience reaction. I heard someone say that they'd seen four other versions and that Clay was the best Joseph they'd ever seen. The ladies behind me said, "How did he not win?" I got in a short conversation with him and told them about "National Inclusion Project", etc. They found that it was mentioned in the program and were impressed. At the end they told me they just loved him as Joseph. Heard so many other random comments about how terrific he was. People just kept saying it over and over. Whenever I go to plays, I don't usually hear such enthusiasm! And I know that these were not diehard fans.

Got to do the stage door.  The usher mentioned it and I wasn't going to because I needed to get home and knew traffic going south on 95 would be horrible. But, the girls really wanted to. He appeared about two minutes after we got there. I had the girls move up to the front and I stayed back a bit. I know he loves kids (and my granddaughters were adorable in little dresses and braids--knew he wouldn't be able to resist). He was about ready to turn and go, but saw them and signed their programs. Sooo, they have autographs and I don't! LOL I could kick myself for not taking a picture, but I blame "the fog".

Have to say this is the best day I've had in a long time.

Clay Aiken is good for what ails ya, for sure!!!

Seeing it again on the 20th with my RI buddies and I just CANNOT WAIT!!

Just have to add how gorgeous he is from three feet away. Simply stunning!!

There really is an ethereal quality about him, isn't there!! 

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2013, 12:36:46 AM »
copingincalif   8/3

alright okay clay is awesome. Loved the entire cast. Matinee went well. Looking forward to tonight. Clay is large and in charge.
He stands during go go Joseph with chains on. Absolutely cant emphasize enough how good he is and how amazing that high register is. Wow.
I don't even know what to say. He sings the high stuff beautifully. We know he can do it but he has to sustain it throughout the show. Smooth as silk. Easy peasy. Very impressed. Not surprised that he can act of course. Lots of NJU in audience and they loved it. Standing O of course for him at both shows. At this evening show the person next to me had never seen the show and loved it. She is the aunt of actress Laura Flynn Boyle. Crazy world. Loved the show, loved him and I have no interesting the ticket sales. What I saw today was a full theatre both shows. Whatever. Lave at 430 am so Turning in. Hope others post reports too.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2013, 12:43:04 AM »
(emerson @ Aug 5 2013, 02:32 PM)
The theater is a wonderful venue...no bad seats.

Due to the generosity of a Clay Angel, I got upgraded to first row center. Some people may prefer to sit further back, but, you can literally touch the stage. At times, you could almost reach out and touch Clay. Chest hair, eyes, toes, wonderful facial expressions...I didn't miss a thing!!!

The cast was much better than I ever imagined for local theater. I really enjoyed the narrator and the brothers. After Clay...they were my favorites.

One of the brothers got very emotional and was crying at the end of Those Canaan Days....beautiful song....3rd only to CED and ADWD ...for me. Someone said it may have been because he had special family in the audience.

There were a number of young kids in the row behind me. One was cuddling a stuffed animal. Warmed my heart to see little ones enjoying Clay so much. Not a peep from them all night.

I wish Clay sang even more songs...but, I would "kill" to have a professional recording of Close Every Door. I have listened to the Donnie Osmond rendition for years....though I have never seen the play until tonight. I knew Clay would do an amazing job with it...but never imagined he would make it virtually impossible to listen to any other version again. I cried. Sigh.

Another emotional moment for me was when he was reunited with his"father". 

At stage door, I never imagined I would get my program signed...i don't scream out. Clay said he was done and started to walk away, then almost turned around as an afterthought and signed mine. I said "thank you so much. I have travelled from two different coasts to see you (sleep deprivation at it's worst...  ). Clay, who was very quickly walking away again, momentarily stopped in his tracks and said something like...WHAT? How did you travel from two different coasts??!? Embarrassing for sure. In my sleep deprived state, I totally baffled him. Hopefully, it gave him a chuckle. I was worried I would fall asleep during the play. WOW was I wrong!!! No way could I have fallen asleep during this phenomenal play!!! It is Clay at his finest. JMHO...but, he was brilliant. I love theatre Clay!!! Three more things...get to Joseph if humanly possible, I  that CV can get a good cellcert for those who can't make it, and just to hear CED!!, and, I just bought a ticket for the next show!!!! THAT is how powerful and amazing it was for me!! ps...Clay signed my program in green. I think he has also used gold and black.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2013, 12:50:03 AM »
Floridaiken
I was at both shows today and I stood up to look around right before opening curtain and right before second curtain went up.
Place looked damn full to me both shows. Lots of applause for both Clay and the whole cast throughout. Third show for me so far and he just gets better and better. Best I've ever heard him. Voice is spot on and he retains it throughout the show. He's killin' it I tell ya! Just wrings the emotion out of every note.
Never expected this show to be so funny, but it's hilarious! Since I was a lot closer I finally noticed that the Pharoh was wearing blue suede shoes! That should give a clue as to what comes next. LOL. Front row tonight and front row both shows Sun. 

Had a lovely and relaxing Bday dinner with Coping. Just a perfect day!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2013, 12:53:10 AM »
Couple of tweets at intermission:

Andrea Creamer ?@andreacreamer 18m

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhmazing! @clayaiken IS Joseph. #intermission

Katherine Ferreira ?@kfferreira17 20m
I just cried because of clay Aiken, oh my god... (this young lady tweeted earlier that she was going with her mom)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2013, 12:53:58 AM »
Two more tweets from the girl who tweeted at intermission:

Andrea Creamer ?@andreacreamer 9m
@OgunquitPH Joseph - Incredible! @clayaiken is sensational!! The narrator, stunning! @MatthewRagas... oh myyy! The remix was off the hook!

Andrea Creamer ?@andreacreamer 7m
If you love theatre, you CANNOT miss @clayaiken in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at @OgunquitPH! Shows through August 25th

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2013, 12:55:26 AM »
Katherine Ferreira ?@kfferreira17 pic.twitter.com/JlHgntKFs7

Katherine Ferreira ?@kfferreira17 love me my clay ???? #clayaiken http://instagram.com/p/cmux3EFowr

? Sarah ? ?@sarahfarnham13 42m
@clayaiken You were fantastic in Joseph today in Ogunquit, Maine! My family and I were wondering if your long hair was yours or a wig?!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2013, 12:55:56 AM »
facebook 8 4

Becky Szymcik
13 minutes ago near Portsmouth, NH via Mobile
As usual, the Ogunquit playhouse has put on a superior production with Joseph and the amazing technicolor dream coat. Clay Aiken was Joseph and he was fantastic--perfect vocal range for this role. choreography was outstanding. not a week cast member in the bunch--in fact, an extremely strong cast across all roles.
As a Joseph fanatic, i have to say this was an exceptionally great production, and once again OP proves they deserve the name "Broadway at the Beach" because of the top notch production values. OP productions are often better than the national tours!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2013, 12:57:51 AM »
Ian Whalen @Ian_Whalen93
Never thought I was going to see Clay Aiken in my life, but he was actually a good singer... #TechnicolorDreamcoat

Marci Anne
Wonderful show with clay Aiken Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat — at Ogunquit Playhouse

Jordan Martin
Omg. I've loved clay Aiken so much today — with Brenna Skye Costin.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2013, 07:36:18 AM »
Hannah Lilac ?@HannahLilacscoo 3m
Just saw @clayaiken in kennebunkport wish I got a freaking picture!

Wesley Hodge ?@mhhmwes 4m
Yeah I just saw Clay Aiken

woodstock854

• Claymaniac
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »
Marilyn - Thanks for bringing all this over here!!!  It was a joy to read.  I absolutely loved watching the short You Tube videos of Clay at the stage door.  It sure brought back memories of past concerts, and made me want to go and see Clay again soon!  I am so happy for Clay that the play is going so well and he is getting great reviews. 
It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.  - John Cassis

mrs. c.

• Claymaniac
  • Clay's Buttercup
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »
Marilyn, been checking out pics and reviews, I so wish I could see this production!  It's perfect for him!
Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
Baby you can drive my car
Magnificently eye frelled in Clio

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2013, 11:13:09 PM »
(cagney1950 @ Aug 5 2013, 08:14 PM)
recap

Vjm and I got tickets for Friday, August 3rd and Saturday evening’s performance. We barely made it to Friday night’s show due to (a) overly optimistic estimate on how long it would take to get there from the Philly area, and (b) stop and go traffic for nearly two hours going across Massachusetts. What we originally planned as a leisurely afternoon in Ogunquit before going to the play turned into going straight to the theatre after changing clothes in the restroom at the Maine Visitor Centre. We settled into our seats with ten minutes to spare. There was a lot of electricity in the theatre-we were seated in Row G on the side, great seats. Sitting next to me was a woman with her husband who were there on vacation. Small world, she graduated from the PA college where I work.

I had never seen the musical even though I love musicals and see a lot of local theatre. The play had a run in Lancaster’s Fulton Theatre that ended at the end of June. It got great reviews (more on that later). I thought the production at Ogunquit was first rate, really outstanding. Not a weak actor in the bunch. The dancing-amazing. I thought Clay did fine among such talented, experienced group with some areas that were truly stellar and other areas (in my opinion) he has room to grow. And I confident he will because that is his work ethic.

Clay’s voice was stellar-I am not sure I have ever heard it better. Close Every Door-I don’t think I breathed through the entire song. I was mesmerized. Vjm and I talked about this – there were many very good voices in the production but there is just something so very special and gorgeous about Clay’s – it just sets him apart. I found myself thinking that Clay’s voice is perfectly suited for the theatre (not that he should be limited to that). His emotional and physical connection to that song was superb while he was singing CED, just wonderful.

An area where I think Clay will continue to grow is his acting, particularly when the action does not directly involve him yet he is still on stage. A sports analogy for me would be the importance of moving without the ball in basketball. I don’t mean that Clay should be actually “moving,” more that his actions and reactions might fit better in the whole. Actually I saw some improvement in this the next night. He seemed more forceful in the scene with the brothers who were begging for mercy for the youngest brother. I so wish I could see Clay the last week. I suspect he will study his performance and continue to make adjustments.

It seems that the general consensus from NJU that I have gleaned from the reviews and the FB posts brought to the board is that Clay does fine and sings wonderfully but that the showstoppers involve scenes featuring the brothers and the Pharaoh who did get the louder applause on Friday night . (Clay got the loudest applause on Saturday). This is consistent with the reviews on Joseph from the Fulton. The reviewers focused on the brothers, pharaoh and narrator and mentioned Joseph briefly but positively for his voice. I just don’t think that the character of Joseph quite lends itself to fun, over the top moments as do some of the other characters.

On a more shallow note, I thought Clay looked very, very handsome. The play must be physically demanding on him. He is thrown down on the floor, pushed around, hoisted up over his brothers and passed around. I must imagine he gets sore.

I feel very fortunate to have had a chance to see Clay in this production. I wish I could see more performances.

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Joseph & Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat 2013  |  Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat RECAPS, PICTURES

gfxgfx
gfx