gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229517 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 10:14:55 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  JNT 2012  |  12/15/2012 ST. CHARLES, IL - ARCADA THEATER
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 12/15/2012 ST. CHARLES, IL - ARCADA THEATER  (Read 31287 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 12/15/2012 ST. CHARLES, IL - ARCADA THEATER
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2012, 03:06:01 AM »
ARTZ11@CV

This concert was special in many ways. There was the initial enjoyment of sitting in the row of the random collection of estate chairs mark by white tags . The poor people behind us were actually behind and at least a shoulder below us. There were side screens for viewing that lasted about half way through the show and I don't think Clay has made so many interesting faces in one night. The unintended light show must have been left over from one of the venues alternative rock band shows. We got some flashing fall colors in no particular order, than some bright blue lights, than no lights.....seizure inducing rhythms that did not go unnoticed by Clay, but he handled it all with grace and a lot of humor and mumbling under his breath, "it's Christmas time, it's Christmas time. As mentioned above the moment of silence followed by A Grown Up Christmas List, was very emotional and will stay with most of us forever.

There's a chain story that someone will tell, but I don't know if it will translate to a post and be as hysterical as it was in person .It truly demonstrates how quick this man is and how he finds humor where no one else would even look. He picked a CYT to play the song game with him. She was comfortable on stage and a fine singer. She won a $100 Macy's gift card for knowing that her true love gave her 8 maids a milking.

My only concert and it was excellent in all it's quirkiness and maybe because of it
.[/color]
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Tiffany

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2012, 08:52:35 AM »
Sounds hilarious and Clay is such a Pro.

Tiffany

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2012, 09:15:25 AM »
Sniff Just watched Clay's speech about CT. Very touching.  :'(

woodstock854

• Claymaniac
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2012, 10:55:37 AM »
First of all, I want to say that it was wonderful to see Thea and Phil!!!  Thea and I are both "talkers" so it is surprising that we even ate our food.   ;D  I guess we just took turns....she talked while I ate, I talked while she ate.  It worked for us!   ;)  Thea is a lovely person, and we always enjoy getting together.  Our hubbies have met a few times before and get along well, and always find plenty of things to talk about while Thea and I are chatting away.  I actually asked hubby what they talked about on the way home, because Thea and I were totally unaware of their conversation!   :laugh:  It was a great time!  Thea brought me an unexpected lovely gift.  Thanks again, Thea!

The theater was a small venue, and in some ways "quaint".  There were lots of technical difficulties all evening which got worse as the night went on.  The concert didn't start until nearly 8:30.  Clay was trying to be gracious, but he had to pause many times because of problems with the sound system, and somewhere near the end he finally said, "I wasn't going to say this, but this is NOT my crew."  The owners resurrected this older theater 8 years ago and is trying to make a go of it, but I have a feeling Clay won't be coming back.

Hubby and I were in the 9th row overall, and no more than 30 feet from Clay.  Hubby even commented on how close we were.  We could see every expression on his face.  That part alone was glorious!  I had not even read the list of songs, so a few surprised me.  I could not even pick out a favorite.  I loved All is Well, because that is one of my all time favorites.  O Holy Night was particularly wonderful!  For some reason, I loved Clay singing Away in a Manger.  Such a common, simple song sounded extra beautiful.  Clay's voice sounded so much more mature.  His voice was strong and wonderful.  He hit all the glory notes with ease!  I cried during MGUCL, and DSIAFCD, because it was beautiful, and I knew the concert was about to end, and it was all so beautiful.  (Did I already say that?)  BTW, I asked hubby's favorite song, and he said MDYK.  He sang that with a choir once, and he loved it last night!

Clay's banter was wonderful.  He was very funny and spontaneous.  When he picked a girl to come up on the stage, she walked over a rope that was roping off the stage, but it had fallen on the floor.  Clay asked the security guy what was that???  He said what are you trying to keep out....ants....earthworms?  It was a particularly funny moment.  He also noticed a girl making a phone call in the front row, and asked her who she was calling, and she said her friend that was working at KMart.  So Clay took her phone...as we know he has done before, and called the girl.  The front desk answered and he asked for the girl, and she asked who was calling.  He said Clay Aiken...she said WHO...and he said Clay Aiken.  She said he had to call her at home and hung up!!!  Again, a very funny moment of the night.

One thing was very special to me.  We got to the theater early, and I decided to go to the bathroom before it started.  There was a LONG line for the bathroom.  I literally crawled over a woman to get to the line, and nearly stepped on her foot, and I told her I was trying to get to the bathroom line.  She joined me and said she was glad I mentioned it as she did not even notice how long the line was.  We started to talk in line.  I asked her if she was a long time fan, and she said OH, yes.  She is from Kansas and flew in with friends the day before the concert and was flying out today.  Like so many of us, she has been to concerts all over the place.  This was the closest concert so they flew to Chicago.  I asked if she posted on any Clay websites, and she said no.  So I asked how she met her Clay friends, and she said first she met one, then was introduced to another, and soon her circle of friends amounted to 12, and they all traveled together many times to see Clay.  After the concert, she was in the lobby and stopped me on the way out.  We just smiled at each other and shook hands and wished each other safe travels.  I don't know why, but it was a special moment, and it is bringing tears to my eyes thinking about it today.  The Clay Nation is alive and strong, if a bit smaller than years ago.  But I told hubby once in the car, that this is part of the magic of Clay.  No matter where we are, we "get" each other, and are instant friends.  I will never forget her!

Clay also mentioned that a few more guys are coming to the concerts, now that he appeared on CA.  He made his usual jokes asking guys if their wives/girlfriends dragged them there.  One said he actually bought the tickets for her, and Clay said that he was going to get lucky tonight...in his cute, sing-song voice.  We have heard him make those jokes before, but somehow he makes them funny every time!  I think it is his endearing personality.

If you read any of the Cellcert, you heard that Clay did a silent moment for the children and adults killed in the tragedy in CT.  He made a poignant speech that touched us all.  His moment of silence seemed to go on and on.  It reminded  me a lot of when a teacher says to close your eyes for one minute, and kids are always surprised how long a minute is.  I think Clay extended the moment to stress the importance.  He followed it up by MGUCL.  It was beautiful, and perfect.  I did not mind the "Dead Baby" stories, as only one was about a child that had died.  Hubby thought they were boring, but they were perfectly placed and followed up by songs that were at the perfect moment.  It was great.

I left with tears in my eyes I could not control.  I was overwhelmed with joy, to be honest.  Every single thing about the night reminded me of why I am a Clay fan.  The dinner with Thea, which would have never happened w/out Clay, and the many dinners and get togethers I have had with so many of you.  The fun as Clay's humor is always spot on.  It is a natural talent he has that also reflects his intellect.  He knows the right thing to say at the right moment.  He is not hard on the eyes.   ;)  And his voice is more beautiful than ever, and I still get goosebumps.  I was overwhelmingly reminded of why I am a Clay fan, and always will be.  It was a special, special night.  I loved every minute and will go again and again.  What more can a Clay fan say?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:22:47 AM by woodstock854 »
It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.  - John Cassis

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2012, 11:06:54 AM »
WOODSTOCK, THANK YOU FOR THE LOVELY RECAP!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »
CINDILU2@CV

The Fisher-Price theater made for some of the funniest moments I've ever had. His facial expressions during the Tug Boat scene were priceless. After a particularly long, low series of moans from the speakers he said, 'There's a tugboat coming through. Be on it!' He warned us to be prepared to run for our lives few times.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »
CANUCK2010@CV

The strings were wonderful. The sound system, not so much. Everyone agreed that, in spite of their age, the orchestra was wonderful.

Clay didn't have one single off note. He was perfection when singing and "johnny Carson" at his best when speaking. I would judge it the best concert ever for so many reasons but his voice was sublime. The most emotional he seemed was during "My Grown Up Christmas List" .

OAN his fingers are ridiculously long, slender and mesmerizing

When he started the story about Jacob and Emmanuel, several people called out " Council Bluffs!!!!". The look onClay's face was utterly priceless. .

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:18:05 PM by Marilyn »

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2012, 11:12:09 AM »
MARHAVEN@CV

Back to the concert, Clay had no trouble with any of the songs - I think he was challenged by the demon building and was determined to make the music shine - and it did. The look on his face after he nailed All is Well was that of a cat licking the cream off his lips. I mean, imagine doing that song so well when you don't know what is going to happen at any given moment. And, yes...we were told to prepare to evacuate. Should he drop the mic and abruptly leave the stage we were to immediately run from the room. Not a good idea, LOL but his presentation was hilarious. He also said he would be glad when the Jesus part of the concert was over and he could move on to the secular because he felt like swearing. He hadn't noticed he already had used "crap" and "hell". LOL.

The beautiful singing in sharp contrast to the quick, witty entertainer is what made the evening so special. The music wasn't ruined, it was kind of enhanced by the fact a mic could go out at any moment - but it didn't during the songs, just during the banter. I had trouble going to sleep, still had a grin on my face at 2AM.

woodstock854

• Claymaniac
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2012, 11:33:04 AM »
I just read through the whole cellcert, and first want to thank Marilyn and Tiffany for doing this for all of us, and bringing all of this here for us to read.

Just a few clarifications.  The concert DID start a half hour late due to all the technical difficulties.  I was worried it would never go on!

As for the Midwest...Clay said we were a combination of polite and rowdy, and he liked that.  No drunks there.  A few shouts of "I love you, Clay"  and "Woo", but not too many.  There was a mom sitting in front of me with a girl that must have been about 11 years old and she yelled out "I love you Clay" a few times.  Good to see a new generation of Clay fans!   ;D

We are on Central time here, so the concert was over by 10:30.  I noticed there were a lot of hotels right on the same street, so I bet many people were spending the night.  Hubby decided he would rather drive last night than this morning, so we did drive the nearly 3 hours home, but we have relatives in that area, so we are used to the drive.  And you are right, Marlene, Clay is worth it!!!

As for the lights, they weren't exactly "flashing", just changing from one color to another.  Not exactly high-tech modern, but it wasn't distracting to me.  It takes a lot more than that to distract me when Clay is in front of me singing.   ;)

Marlene, hubby thought Faye's story was hard to understand, too.  I knew Faye read one of the stories, but it didn't sound like her to me...she sounded different than when I have heard her in interviews.  Maybe it is the recording.  But it was hard to understand.  She talked a bit fast.

But all in all, it was wonderful...despite the technical flaws. 

Barb - Have fun tonight!!!  I just couldn't do 2 concerts this time.  I would have loved to be up there in Milwaukee with you!

Many thanks again to Marilyn and Tiffany!

It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.  - John Cassis

mimi

• Enthusiastic
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2012, 01:26:10 PM »
Marilyn & Tiffany. ~ Thanks so much for bringing us the recaps. Even though Clay had the difficulties it sounds like it was another wonderful show. Just 4 more to go. Boo! Hoo!  I only hope after he gets the rest he deserves that he will not stay in hibernation for the remainder of winter.  STRIKE WHILE THE FIRE IS HOT.
Forgive your enemies...it messes with their head.

Tiffany

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »
Very welcome Woody and Marlene. I saw Thea's recap as well on CM. Loved yours Woody. Thanks! Agreed with everything you said about Clay. I never had a doubt that he can sing just as beautiful as when we 1st saw him and he still loves what he is doing. This concert sounds like it was memorable or sure. LOL So glad you had a wonderful time and with Thea and your hubbys also. It's nice you met a fan also Woody. I like that too to meet Clay fans you don't know and be reminded that we are are still here.

Some people on Twitter are saying that the theater should tell Clay they are sorry. Have no doubt he will never play there again. I guess soundcheck was ok though cause no one mentioned of any problems. Guess you never know and it does happen. Like I said Clay is such a pro and classy the way he handles these things.

I really hope more people are reading here, watching clack, seeing the pics. etc I know Marilyn works hard to do this for us. I just help a little. So you are missing out if you aren't here. All the shows are not the same. He keeps getting better with his singing, banters etc. He sure is a special guy and I too am proud to be his fan and part of the Claynation! ;D

Still crying over MGUCL. sniff  :'( So beautiful. Like to see more clack. Only one I saw so far.

Tiffany

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2012, 02:04:35 PM »
Like to bring what Thea said over if she doesn't mind.

My review in a nutshell:

1.  Great company; loved seeing DEBBIE and her hubby again!   Wishing we could have spent more time together.

2.  Clay was in near/perfect voice.  His voice has a much richer sound than it did a couple years ago.  And thankfully his intonation was spot on.  That has not always been the case IMO!

3.  Clay's stage presence has evolved into being highly professional.   I was very impressed!

4.  The venue was sub-par and the in-house crew was pathetic and incompetent.  But Clay being the consummate showman that he was.....He held it all together.  Clay is worthy of much better...I hope that someday he will once again be able to be more selective in his choice of venues.

5.  Loved his hair and wardrobe this time around.  He looked very GQ and hot!

6.  I'm very proud to be a Clay fan!

Tiffany

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2012, 02:08:48 PM »
THanks Fran for finding this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emjwzys4DSU

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2012, 08:34:47 PM »
PINK ARMCHAIR AT CH M&G

Some more detail about St. Charles, now that I'm awake and caffeinated...

The M&G (my first OFC one ever): Having received at least two sternly worded emails from TC warning me -- in ALL CAPS -- not to be late, that latecomers WOULD NOT be admitted, etc., I was understandably nervous during the hour-long rainy drive out to St. Charles. My group -- Beagle3, Snix, ShyGirl and our fabulous driver hensey -- were absolute saints to get me there by 5:00, three hours before the show. At, I think, 4:57, Beagle3 got a call from cablegirl (thank you!), asking after my whereabouts. We were three blocks away at that point. We got there, I jumped out and ran around the building, and was met at the side entrance by Clay's tour manager Lauren, who quickly ushered me up the steps and ran hurriedly through the program. I guess she wasn't interested in seeing my I.D., and just be be clear: I WASN'T LATE. I was just LAST. *g* I do regret that I didn't get to talk to or meet anyone beforehand -- it was all moving very fast.

As instructed, we filed into the back row of the theatre and sat watching the sound check/orchestra rehearsal, already in process. I think we heard portions of "Emmanuel" and "The First Noel." After a few minutes, Clay strolled on stage in a navy UCONN hoodie and gray sweatpants. I didn't notice his shoes, but his hair was how you see it in the photos. He mostly marked the songs, but did belt out a few tasty appetizers -- Lauren admonished us not to applaud, but it was hard not to.

After that, Clay made his way back to us. The lady sitting next to me had not only never met him, but this was her first concert, and she quietly told me a couple of times that she was afraid she was going to faint. Very sweet. With a row of seats between us, he made a few very subtle but choice remarks about the condition of the venue and its bad audio, saying, "it's a rock concert venue" in a way that made it clear it wasn't a compliment. I think he also made a reference to the basement housing dead people. *g* The stage backdrop at that point looked like a wrinkled white sheet, and he said we could choose whether to use that or the red velvet curtain that followed. (Needless to say, we opted for the curtain.) Then he went down the row of the five St. Charles M&Gers, two from Detroit, and the two auction winners, asking our names and where we were from. Then he signed various things. I had brought a photo and my "burning dress" story and decided on impulse to have him sign my story. He surveyed it and said sardonically that he thought he'd heard it before. *g* We had a brief chat about Downton Abbey with regard to a flash drive I had brought him, and later I handed Lauren a red tee-shirt for him that read, "KEEP CALM AND FREE MR. BATES." Hope he likes it -- I'd have liked to have given it to him myself.

Then we lined up for photos -- first the auction winners, then the two Detroit folks, and then the rest of us. Clay orchestrated it so that we were facing the back of the theatre with three of us standing and the other two kneeling on seats in front. Clay came and stood in back -- not sure where, but I could feel him in back of me. No idea how the photo is going to to look...it was dark in there!

And then it was over. Great dinner at McNally's Pub down the street, where we were joined by Shamrock, MsCrabtree, sugrbugr, and Paradox. I'd never had a "boxty" before...sort of a cross between an omelet and a big quesadilla, only made with a spongy flavorful potato pancake and stuffed with roast beef, mushrooms, and provolone. Delicious! Bailey's Irish Cream Cheesecake, too. I'd go back there even if there wasn't a show.

SHOW RECAP:
Speaking of the show: Well, as my station has filmed a few things there, I had heard stories from our crew about how rundown it was. These stories were a gross understatement. As others have said, many of the seats in the center section had been removed and replaced by a mismatched collection of what looked like very old kitchen chairs with several generations of masking tape labeling them -- and crammed together like sardines. As we entered, a man was playing a big theatre organ, giving it a very nostalgic vaudeville ambiance. When he was done, a hydraulic lift lowered him out of sight and Dean Martin started serenading us over the PA system. For a long, long, time. The theatre owner -- think the smarmy guy from the movie That Thing You Do who introduced the band at the Pittsburgh rock concert -- came out to give us the rah-rah speech (we'll definitely be back to see Shirley MacLaine on February 22). He seemed touchingly excited to have Clay performing there (as well he should have been!), and as he left, we thought the show was starting. But no...more Dean Martin (maybe it was his ghost? I wouldn't have been surprised). Finally, after a couple of "any minute now!" announcements, the show began almost a half-hour late, with Clay taking full comic advantage of the situation.

He looked and sounded great, and was in great voice...the best I've ever heard in some of the songs. But the lighting was garish, weird and generally horrendous, the sound system was full of glitches, the speaker continually booming was very annoying and the whole thing was very amateurish. You could even hear music coming through the walls. Clay covered it well for the uninitiated, but I'm sure he was livid. The local girl who sang was adorable and Clay's banter about the chain on the stairs ("Protect me from WHAT? Ants?" Clay asked the security guy) was hilarious. He really did make the most of a bad situation...he can always put on a great show when lesser entertainers would have let the situation defeat them.

His tribute to the Newtown victims and subsequent rendition of "My Grown Up Christmas List" were incredibly moving...I thought it was fantastic that he did that. (I should also say that the toy drive in the lobby was a huge success...the elderly usher collecting them seemed overwhelmed -- I'm guessing that community won't forget Clay's appearance there anytime soon.)

When Clay made his final emphatic exit after the encore, that door went straight out the street and we joked that he probably strode directly to the bus and got the hell out of there! Lord knows we wouldn't have blamed him. Oh, to be a fly on the wall on that bus!

It was so great to see everyone -- especially the folks I haven't seen in ages. On to Milwaukee, where I hope to have more time to chat.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »
CARPECLAY@CV

Home from a marvelous trip to St Charles Il. Wonderful time with fizzgig and TheClayWay and her dh. Met and talked to many other fans at the Hampton. Thrilled to have attended the ONE of a kind concert of this tour. I will just "DITTO" every other recap I have read here. It was one for the books and one I will remember for a very long time. He was his most entertaining self and well needed medicine for many of us. I thought about our sweet Jen several times and hoped she was watching and laughing with us from her front row seat in Heaven....and maybe had some of newest angels watching with her as he so eloquently honored them with his words and song. It was very moving.

I did talk with several locals who were fans of him on Idol and had never seem him live. We had a some of them right in front of us that were maybe in their late 20's maybe early 30's. We commented before the show that it was good to see a younger group and one of the girls said she was excited to hear him sing Christmas songs we assured them they would be blown away by not only his voice, but he was hilarious.. They had not heard anything about his banter. Well they laughed and laughed and clapped and clapped throughout the show and were very impressed on how funny he was. One of the guys commented that he had a lot of material to work with that night...but did not seem to matter to those NJU...they LOVED IT.

When we were walking out, we ran in girl who was in her mid 20's, bf or dh..not sure and her parents. She was from St Charles, never seen him live...but was a big fan. Had made 2 signs...ALL of them loved the show..!!! They were blown away that we had come all the way from St Louis to see him and actually introduced us to the theater manager.. poor guy was so excited that Clay was there, but I would imagine that Clay was not near as excited.

It was so good though to see a concert that had so many issues and glitches still entertain and enthrall the NJU's.

Bottom line for me...no matter what is next for Clay...be Broadway or TV..if he ever completely retires as a touring artist/entertainer...it would be a BIG mistake..HUGE

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  JNT 2012  |  12/15/2012 ST. CHARLES, IL - ARCADA THEATER

gfxgfx
gfx