gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229519 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 01:27:36 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Indepedent Tour 2004  |  CLAY & KELLY IN WINSTON SALEM 3/13
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: CLAY & KELLY IN WINSTON SALEM 3/13  (Read 13119 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
CLAY & KELLY IN WINSTON SALEM 3/13
« on: March 25, 2010, 12:42:14 AM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« on: March 14, 2004, 09:54:56 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was my last concert (for now.)  So I particularly wanted to remember everything.  Of course, that means I don't remember too much...I do remember how lucky I felt that once again Clay walked right by us on his entrance with a great big old happy face. outthere and I were 4 seats in from the aisle and the CHA Security Team was in full force but we could see him very well as he approached the stage.  He then stopped before he climbed the stairs and sang to us on our level.  I couldn't see him so much then from the fifth row, but I could see the top of his head and he was about two feet in front of the front rowers singing his heart out and I know that at that moment, about two minutes into the concert, those front rowers were dutifully rewarded for the night.  I hope none of them passed out.

He went straight into Perfect Day, and I don't think I've seen him quite so high energy.  He sure does enjoy being back in NC!  All About Love had him bounding all over the stage, dancing, pumping his fists, playing air guitar, dancing, clapping.  Make no mistake - he loves singing this one! 

He did take a cell phone and sing to someone, but he didn't bring anyone up on stage during WYSYLM.  I was glad.  I know it makes someone's day, but it seems distracting too.  He had the house lights brought up at one point, and read some signs, and had a long interaction with someone about guessing what song he was going to sing next.  If she guessed right, she could come backstage.  She guessed right.  Lucky girl!

For some reason, Invisible was particularly emotional.  I couldn't figure out why last night, but I awoke this morning with an understanding.  This is the song that in the AI concerts last summer, was the 'surprise' of the show for most people.  It wasn't like anything we saw him sing on AI and after that first video hit the web after the first concert in St Paul, it became the entire reason for going to that show for many people.  I had seen the TV performances of course, but I hadn't seen it live since last summer.  It was...different. Coming in the middle of the set, it was kind of shocking to see how much more...professional...it looked, for lack of a better word.  I guess I enjoyed the spontenaiety of the performances last summer, and even though I do realize that the entire show is basically choreographed, it still made me sad just a little bit.  But it was still smokin!   8)

One of the highlights for me was I Survived You.  I don't know what Clay was so angry about, but he took it all out on that mic stand.  He did that in Raleigh too, and although it seemed a little bit more contrived this time, it was still masterful.  I was pissed off right along with him by the time he finished... :

The acoustic set was my favorite part.  He talked about Angela and Quiana's hair...evidently Angela had some new braids and she was looking good.  Quiana said 'if you can't achieve it, weave it!' which cracked everyone up.  Even being as close as the fifth row I couldn't keep my eyes off the screens to the side of the stage.  That cameraperson deserves an award for capturing the wonder and the beauty in those close ups.  Actually seeing Clay feeling the music is only the second best thing to hearing him feel the music. 

Which leads us into WDC.  When it was all over, he mentioned that there were people in the audience that had known him since he was 6, and that they were probably laughing at him right then....which proves that he is aware of what he is doing on stage, and that his NC performances, while always electric, are tempered by friends and family in the audience.  But still, he is the biggest tease.  Yes, his mother and other friends and family were in the audience, but after seeing all the video of some of the other more 'frisky' performances of WDC, I was glad to see it get back to the original version.  He and Angela express the tension of the song beautifully with their little give and take.  You just can't help but be riveted to them both during their teasing little dance.  GAH!

The Way was introed as a love song.  Romantic love...and how it's so hard to express in words we feel when we love someone.  But he told us it  was also the way he felt about us as fans and he sang it to us as a thank you for our support.  Funny, I always kind of felt the song was also an expression for how we as fans feel about him.  How many times have you heard someone say, 'I just don't know what it is...'

In reality, I think we do all know what it is.  It's Clay!

More later...outthere, Lainey and Carolyn just showed up!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:55:27 PM by Marilyn »
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: CLAY & KELLY IN WINSTON SALEM 3/13
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »
maddiegirl
  Thanks Pamela
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 10:03:25 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for that review Pamela.  I have desperately been waiting for someone to share their experience.  I have felt a void ever since seeing Clay perform in Columbus on 3/10.  I am curious though, do you think Clay is getting better in concert?  Was he better this time around then the first time you saw him?

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 10:58:23 PM »
Leveland
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 10:04:25 AM » 

Pamela thanks for making my Day.  I really enjoyed talking to all of you yesterday.  I felt like I was right there with you.  I can't wait to hear what the rest of the gang has to say.  Please give everyone a Big Hug from me.  Maybe next time I will be there to join you. 

Much Love, Terry

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 10:58:53 PM »
dudley5
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 10:20:07 AM » 

Thanks for the review Pamela - sounded like you have a wonderful Clay evening :D

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:59:33 PM »
ANGELA
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 10:33:07 AM » 

Pamela,
I want to thank you for letting me live your life thru your words---if just for a moment.
THANKS THAT WAS A GREAT REVIEW.

TAKE CARE,

ANGELA

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 11:00:26 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Re: Thanks Pamela
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 10:42:17 AM » 

Thanks for that review Pamela.  I have desperately been waiting for someone to share their experience.  I have felt a void ever since seeing Clay perform in Columbus on 3/10.  I am curious though, do you think Clay is getting better in concert?  Was he better this time around then the first time you saw him?

maddiegirl, interesting question.  I think they were each unique in their own way.  Charlotte was good because it was the first.  Think about it -we didn't know about the grand Kyrie entrance,  we didn't know about When Doves Cry, we didn't know about All About Love...so it was all fresh and new, exciting and surprising.

Raleigh was...Raleigh.  There is always a certain dynamic in Raleigh that just electrifies the place.  Knowing that he enjoys being there, and how much Raleigh loves him makes it very special.

There was a certain vibe in Winston last night that was incredible and comfortable and it was obvious he was happy to be there.  Maybe it was because he knew he has a few days off now... I don't know.  Or maybe it was because I was on the fifth row stage right....  It was niiiiiice.... :

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 11:00:48 PM »
lorraine
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 11:24:49 AM » 

Pam thank you so much.  I kept getting back online to see if someone had a review from last night and of course you came through. I couldn't do another thing today (except vote of course) until I had heard something.  I relived Clay through your review and felt it in every part of my body.  I am glad he has sometime off.  He deserves it.  I miss him so much and will do anything to see him again. You have made my day and night.

Lorraine

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 11:01:37 PM »
mackncsu
 Re: Thanks Pamela
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 01:08:23 PM » 

There was a certain vibe in Winston last night that was incredible and comfortable and it was obvious he was happy to be there.  Maybe it was because he knew he has a few days off now... I don't know.  Or maybe it was because I was on the fifth row stage right.  It was niiiiiice.... :

I agree...I think there was an incredible vibe last night...he seemed happier than I remember him being.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 11:02:08 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 03:52:27 PM » 

I'm back.  More caffeine and I'm feeling more sentient now; I was telling Mr. P about the concert and remembered lots of things.   :)

First I wanted to say something about Kelly.  Kelly was GREAT last night.  There was something different about her set, but I'm not sure what it was.  She got a rousing response from the crowd - and she deserved it.  There were some Kelly groupies at the end of the catwalk, and one guy in particular that stood the entire time, clapping and dancing for Kelly.  I love Kelly's songs Beautiful Disaster, Thankful and I love her take on the Reba McIntyre song - she kicks it!  Someone threw some panties up on stage and Kelly was like 'What? I've got my own panties!' but she realized later they were for Jacob, the backup singer. :  He stuffed them in his pocket.  The response for Kelly in Charlotte wasn't so great, and in Raleigh it was good, but it was Raleigh after all; everyone was hot wired for Clay.  I hope Kelly realizes that although most of the audience are Clay fans, and that some Clay fans are not as loud for her, that many of us yelled very loud for her and love her show and think she is extremely talented. I think her connection with the audience was so much improved since Charlotte and I think she really had a good time.  There were lots of signs for Kelly and someone handed her a Scrabble tshirt which she put on right on stage and wore it for Miss Independent, her final number.  Very cute!

Clay took my friend's cell phone during WYSYLM. The person on the other end of the phone didn't realize he was talking to her, and she never even said hello to him!   :  Oops.

During Invisible, Clay came to the end of the catwalk and did the 'reach out but no touchy' thing.  At the end of the song he went back out to the end of the catwalk and granted a touchy or two after all.   :  After the concert I found out my friend DanieP was the recipient of a touchy; she was quite honored.  Oh, and her sign was faboo, it said 'Clay Please Sing Touch.'   :  Didn't work though...oh well. (ETA:  From her vantage point at the end of the catwalk, Danie got some amazing pics at the concert, go see them in the Photo thread!

Just before he sang The Way, he mentioned the video and knew every placement on every day.  After he mentioned #1 on Wednesday, he said 'after that, not so good. But I know with fans like you, it'll be back at #1 soon!'  *sigh*  Dang it Clay, you know your wish is our command, and I'm a busy girl.  Yeah I just voted again before I started writing this...

He also mentioned that the single comes out Tuesday, and that the B side was Solitaire.  For one nano second, I thought he might actually sing Solitaire...which I've heard by the way and OMG!  It's so beautiful.  Buy it.  As soon as you can!

The crowd was LOUD last night, but mostly in between songs.  Clay's voice was strong, but he did show some strain in the expected places.  It didn't detract, but it cause him to change things up a little bit.  However, Without You with Quiana sounded like perfection.  I'm becoming very attached to that song, it just soars.  Quiana is a wonder.  I hope the K Lo version is as beautiful.

One more thing I wanted to mention is the loveliness that is Fields of Gold. I would pay good money to hear the full version of this song during the acoustic set.  (summer tour - hint, hint)  It is mesmerizing...the lyrics are beautiful, the guitar is tender and touching and Clay seems to sing it from a place of contentment, or of gratitude.  It's a spiritual moment -- it was in Charlotte, it was in Raleigh and it was in Winston.  It's one of the greatest memories I will revisit when I think of the Independent Tour of 2004.

Thank you Clay.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 11:04:35 PM »
claylady
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004, 04:08:51 PM » 

Pamela, Thank you so much for your reviews.  It's making me relive Columbus all over again.  I still cannot stop thinking about it and feeling sorry that it's over. 
I agree with you 100% about Fields of Gold.  It was absolutely gorgeous.  One of my favorites.  I downloaded it and play it over and over again.  I would love to hear the whole song. 
One funny thing about this song.  I still remember it when it first came out years ago.  I always sang "fields of holly"  Hearing Clay sing it I realized it's "fields of barley" 
Can someone say "DUH!!!"

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 11:04:57 PM »
trish
  Reviews
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2004, 04:48:20 PM » 

again Pamela a resounding THANK YOU!!  I appreciate all the reviews that are posted here.  I am disappointed that the tour is not coming anywhere neare Mobile Alabama so I check here and am never disappointed.

Thanks to everybody that takes the time to post.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 11:05:23 PM »
ANGELA
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2004, 05:07:09 PM » 

Pamela,
AGAIN thanks for the second recap---I wish he was coming back to the New England Area. Once is never enough when it comes to OBC.

Take care,

Angela

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 11:05:48 PM »
lovinclay
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 05:09:16 PM » 

PAMELA, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REVIEW!  ONCE AGAIN, I FEEL LIKE I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YOU.  I'M LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE ONE MORE CONCERT TO LOOK FORWARD TO.....LAS VEGAS!  I ALSO WANT TO SAY "THANK YOU, CLAY" FOR GIVING SO MUCH OF YOURSELF AT THESE CONCERTS.  WE APPRECIATE AND LOVE YOU FOR IT!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 11:06:15 PM »
nursingme
  Winston-Salem
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004, 06:20:19 PM » 

Pamela, Thanks for all your reviews. I got to the Charlotte concert and that wasn't enough so I had to do it again. Made it to Winston-Salem and he justs gets better and better. Kelly was great also. Oh! I just about forgot to mention that my family and I were pleased to meet some Clay fans in the parking lot of Catus Jacks. Sorry I didn't get their names,but they did tell us they were from NY,Canada Michigan,Winston-Salem and I'm not sure where else. I also saw a group of you come into Jacks . I think I heard you(Pamela) tell a story about Jane.Not sure if that was correct or not. I didn't want to interupt all of you at dinner/lunch, but maybe next time we can join all of you.
 Well back to the concert it was fabulous and I'm a bit sad that I will not be able to see OMC perform for a while. I have to say that if anyone out there that loves Clay and hasn't seen him perform in person is really missing just how great he is. If you think he is good on CD-TV.ect then you need to hear him in person. Let me stop babbling,but I have one question-What site do I go to vote online for TRL video???

_____________________________________________________________ Clay I will miss seeing your handsome face and wonderful voice...

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 11:07:06 PM »
liney23
  VOTE
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2004, 08:26:37 PM » 

Go to Got Clay.  There is a thread for TRL Warriors.  OR, you can go into the links thread and it's the first one.  Under TRL Warriors there are tips for voting.  You've got to lie about your age.  1982 is the best year, cause it's in the demographics they want.  Some computers will allow you to use the back button and some won't.  I just put A+ in the comments place, saves typing something out a bazillion times.  Thank you for wanting to vote for Clay.  This is a fabulous video and deserves #1.

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Indepedent Tour 2004  |  CLAY & KELLY IN WINSTON SALEM 3/13

gfxgfx
gfx