gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229516 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 08:56:21 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Indepedent Tour 2004  |  INDEPENDENT TOUR MEDIA REVIEWS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: INDEPENDENT TOUR MEDIA REVIEWS  (Read 24339 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
INDEPENDENT TOUR MEDIA REVIEWS
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:00:16 PM »
BlownAway
« on: February 25, 2004, 12:44:10 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLAY SHINES IN CITY HE CALLS 'HOME'

Even tour partner Kelly Clarkson gets in on the fans' adulation of
Aiken

COURTNEY DEVORES

"It's pretty close to a perfect day if I do say so myself," Clay Aiken
beamed, as he finished singing "A Perfect Day" two songs into his set at Charlotte Coliseum Tuesday. "My first concert tour and I get to open it here, at home."

Aiken's appearance Tuesday in Charlotte wasn't just another concert. It
was opening night of his co-headlining tour with "American Idol" first-year winner Kelly Clarkson.

For many area fans, the homecoming of last year's Idol runner-up and
UNC Charlotte grad was an event. Two local fan groups, Charlotte
Claymates and M'Aiken a Difference, gathered late Tuesday afternoon at area restaurants to share the anticipation.

For many the Charlotte date is just the first in a string of stops on
the tour.

Lily Elkins, 14, of Durham and her mother plan on catching Aiken in
Raleigh and Winston-Salem as well.

"I didn't watch the first `American Idol,' " Lily said shortly after Clarkson's set. "But I started watching the second one the night they showed Clay's tryout. I liked both Ruben and Clay, then Clay did `Grease' and I saw him sing in Raleigh and I was a Clay fan from there."

Clarkson, whose fiery voice rivals today's top pop divas, looked ever the down-to-earth country girl in baggy, ripped jeans, a vintage "Love That Country Music" baby T-shirt, and bare feet. The only hint of diva from the Texas native was her glitter eye shadow and the blue bustier and crop pants she later sported through Reba McEntire's "Why Haven't I Heard From You?"

Clarkson didn't seem to mind handing over the spotlight to Aiken. She
even made her own "I Love Clay" tee. While she belted out gospel, jazz
and pop numbers with energetic vigor, she saved the one-two punch of "A
Moment Like This," her "American Idol" winner, and her No. 1 hit "Miss
Independent" for last.

"I wasn't a big Kelly fan, but she was wonderful," said Amanda Garrett, 24, of Asheville, who wore a pair of homemade Clay earrings with two
Clay faces hovering above her shoulders.

Spurred on by chants of "We Want Clay," Aiken surprised everyone by
entering from the audience. His backup singers sang the first few bars of
Mr. Mister's '80s hit "Kyrie," as Aiken joined in from the back of the arena followed by a swarm of security guards. Wearing a pin-striped blue shirt and tie, gray, striped slacks and white Nikes, Aiken soared through songs like "No More Sad Songs," and "Without You," a duet with backup singer Kiana Parlor, whom he met during his Idol tryout here in Charlotte. The duet is a new one, which Aiken recorded with former Idol contestant and roommate Kimberly Locke for her upcoming debut album.

When Aiken sang the lyrics "When you say you love me do you mean it" he was met with deafening cheers. Aiken played up his heartthrob image by pulling on his button-down shirt as if he'd tear it off during his current hit "Invisible."

Despite Aiken's local celebrity, the Coliseum was far from sold out. The top tier balcony was blacked out and second-row seats were made
available the day of the show.

CHARLOTTE OBSERVER

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: INDEPENDENT TOUR MEDIA REVIEWS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:01:01 PM »
outthereforclay
  fact checker, please!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 01:12:10 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to some people who were at the concert, the concert was sold out per the seats made available for sale. The nosebleed section was never offered for sale, as is common in a really big arena. The other thing to remember is that venues often have primo seats that they don't offer for sale until a week before or even the same day as the concert. I remember Pamela saying that's how she was in the front row at last summer's Raleigh AI tour concert. She got that ticket the day of the concert!

This reporter obviously was in a hurry to make a deadline...needed a "fact checker" :  :

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »
claydefender
  Open Night News Article
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 09:17:52 AM » 

You're right, that guy does need a "Fak Chicker" (I loved it when he said that on Jimmi Kimmell). 
I live in the Annapolis, MD area and am attending the concert on March 5th at the MCI Center in Wash, DC.  I was able to get my tickets the day before they actually went on sale (back in January).  I thought we had gotten pretty good tickets until I checked yesterday, just for the heck of it, to see what was available.  NOT FAIR!!!    I found GREAT seats, 4 sections closer to the stage than where our group is sitting. 
I'm sure people think that there are no good tickets left at this point, and therefore don't even try.  That's why some of these concerts don't sell out. 
They blackout good sections until the week before the show. 
That's how I attained good seats a week before the AI 2 concert back in July.  I went online one week before the show just for grins, and  guess what, I got great seats overlooking the stage (of course I broke my foot 5 days before the show and had to turn in my tickets for handicapp seats, but they were still very good.)
No matter what the newspaper articles say, the shows will be a big success. Anything, with Clay involved will be a HUGE success!
One more thing, don't you all find it funny that Simon is comparing AI contestants this year to Clay??  Guess what Simon, not one of the "Measures Up"!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »
shaikeninseattle
     Charlotte Review
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 12:31:54 PM » 

Right on, Claydefender!  Simon keeps saying that YODER guy has a voice like Clay and I want to slap him silly! He can hit a note now and then, but sound like CLAY?? :  : That's probably one of the stupidest things I've ever heard! :evil:  :evil:  :roll:  :roll:

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:03:23 PM »
Leveland
Tampa Tribune Review
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 07:27:51 AM » 

TAMPA TRIBUNE LINK

TAMPA - If crowd reaction is any measure of who is the real ``American Idol,'' give the crown to Clay Aiken.
The spiked-hair crooner who looks like a younger version of Barry Manilow was greeted with screams from adoring fans, known as ``Claymates,'' on Friday night at the St. Pete Times Forum.

The audience of 10,823 was predominantly female and of all ages - from grandmothers to preteens.

Appearing with first ``American Idol'' winner Kelly Clarkson, Aiken, the runner-up on the last ``American Idol'' series, brought the women to their feet when he made a dramatic entrance from the back of the arena and walked down through the crowd surrounded by body guards.

Although Clarkson and Aiken share equal billing and are alternating as headliners on this 30-city tour, Aiken clearly was the crowd favorite.

The 25-year-old from Raleigh, N.C., played to the faithful with little endearing touches such as picking up a cell phone from a woman near the stage and singing into it, signing autographs and performing ``Happy Birthday'' to an ecstatic girl named Stephanie.

The duo have said this tour would focus on their music and there would be no fireworks, exotic costumes, big dance numbers or lip-syncing.

From a low-tech setting, Aiken breezed through ``No More Sad Songs,'' ``I Survived You,'' ``Perfect Day'' and ``When You Say You Love Me.''

His ``Measure of a Man'' brought screams with almost every line.

His cover of Leo Sayer's ``When I Need You'' and Prince's ``When Doves Cry'' were crowd pleasers.

He also performed ``Without You,'' a new duet with backup singer Kiana Parlor, a friend he met during his ``Idol'' tryout in Charlotte, N.C.

Aiken has recorded the song with former ``Idol'' contestant Kimberly Locke for her upcoming debut album.

Clarkson opened. The 21- year-old from Texas seemed to speed through a no-frills performance of about a dozen songs off her albums.

Blame it on the sound system, but the distortion was so bad that only those who knew the lyrics could decipher what she was singing.

Clarkson had little interplay with the audience, which seemed subdued between her sets and came to life briefly when she did numbers such as ``A Moment Like This.''

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 10:04:54 PM »
clayfannj
    Tampa Tribune Review
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 08:22:28 AM » 

Thanks for the article, Terry... I've been anxious to see reviews... Love your new AVIE..

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 10:05:19 PM »
LiftClayUp

Tampa Tribune Review
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 09:23:39 AM » 

Thanks Terry.   21 days until it is our turn.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:05:46 PM »
dudley5
    Tampa Tribune Review
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 01:30:33 PM » 

This was a fantastic review for CLAY but poor Kelly - if she reads this  :

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 10:06:12 PM »
lorraine
 Tampa Tribune Review
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 05:26:49 PM » 

Great review.  It seems as each concert happens we hear they same good things.  People screaming as he melts all of us through his wonderful music.  I know the countdown to March 8th is right around the corner.  I will be one of those screaming and melting as he sings.  How can you not .  I was much younger when Barry Manilow sang and he still didn't have the same effect that Clay has had on me.  No way, no how.  I can't wait.
Right Linda, Angela & Deanna?

Lorraine

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 10:06:35 PM »
rainbow231
  tampa concert
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2004, 07:02:33 PM » 

: I just wanted to tell everyone that the show here in tampa was absolutley phenomenal. Clay ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His vocals were fantastic and he even did a little dancing. as for the Barry manilow comment I saw Barry a long time ago and he did not come close to clay. He is on his way to being a superstar for sure. It really showed me who really one American Idol,and it wasn't Rueben!!! He was completly at home on stage. not to mention he was absolutly gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 10:07:06 PM »
Char
  Tampa Tribune Review
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2004, 03:37:40 PM » 

Thanks for posting that review :) I have been anxiously checking to see what has happened so far on the tour . Can't wait to see Clay in St. Louis now- I have bumped my tickets from top tier seating to floor- 13th row now! And hearing that Clay make walk in through the crowd makes me even more anxious for the show!!

- Char

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 10:08:14 PM »
LiL CrAzZy ClAyMaTe 144
  im lookin foward 2 it
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 05:50:44 PM » 

: Clay Aiken is mah idol and im one of his biggest fans. Somepeople i've talked 2 say that his concert was abomb   ::): but i will and am looking foward to his concert anyway{i am going to see his cancert in New York} Clay's performance will shine any way it can and if the seats arent filled in down infront.....what these are mah seats!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 10:08:50 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 10:57:16 AM » 

I decided to put all the concert media reviews into one thread for easy reference.  Feel free to add any general media reviews you may find!

If you would like to discuss any of the reviews, they are still posted in the individual concert threads.

This thread will be archived in the library at the end of the tour.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:09:26 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2004, 10:57:38 AM » 

CHARLOTTE

CLAY SHINES IN CITY HE CALLS 'HOME'

Even tour partner Kelly Clarkson gets in on the fans' adulation of Aiken
By Courtney Devores

"It's pretty close to a perfect day if I do say so myself," Clay Aiken beamed, as he finished singing "A Perfect Day" two songs into his set at Charlotte Coliseum Tuesday. "My first concert tour and I get to open it here, at home."

Aiken's appearance Tuesday in Charlotte wasn't just another concert. It was opening night of his co-headlining tour with "American Idol" first-year winner Kelly Clarkson.

For many area fans, the homecoming of last year's Idol runner-up and UNC Charlotte grad was an event. Two local fan groups, Charlotte Claymates and M'Aiken a Difference, gathered late Tuesday afternoon at area restaurants to share the anticipation.

For many the Charlotte date is just the first in a string of stops on the tour.

Lily Elkins, 14, of Durham and her mother plan on catching Aiken in Raleigh and Winston-Salem as well.

"I didn't watch the first `American Idol,' " Lily said shortly after Clarkson's set. "But I started watching the second one the night they showed Clay's tryout. I liked both Ruben and Clay, then Clay did `Grease' and I saw him sing in Raleigh and I was a Clay fan from there."

Clarkson, whose fiery voice rivals today's top pop divas, looked ever the down-to-earth country girl in baggy, ripped jeans, a vintage "Love That Country Music" baby T-shirt, and bare feet. The only hint of diva from the Texas native was her glitter eye shadow and the blue bustier and crop pants she later sported through Reba McEntire's "Why Haven't I Heard From You?"

Clarkson didn't seem to mind handing over the spotlight to Aiken. She even made her own "I Love Clay" tee. While she belted out gospel, jazz and pop numbers with energetic vigor, she saved the one-two punch of "A Moment Like This," her "American Idol" winner, and her No. 1 hit "Miss Independent" for last.

"I wasn't a big Kelly fan, but she was wonderful," said Amanda Garrett, 24, of Asheville, who wore a pair of homemade Clay earrings with two Clay faces hovering above her shoulders.

Spurred on by chants of "We Want Clay," Aiken surprised everyone by entering from the audience. His backup singers sang the first few bars of Mr. Mister's '80s hit "Kyrie," as Aiken joined in from the back of the arena followed by a swarm of security guards. Wearing a pin-striped blue shirt and tie, gray, striped slacks and white Nikes, Aiken soared through songs like "No More Sad Songs," and "Without You," a duet with backup singer Kiana Parlor, whom he met during his Idol tryout here in Charlotte. The duet is a new one, which Aiken recorded with former Idol contestant and roommate Kimberly Locke for her upcoming debut album.

When Aiken sang the lyrics "When you say you love me do you mean it" he was met with deafening cheers. Aiken played up his heartthrob image by pulling on his button-down shirt as if he'd tear it off during his current hit "Invisible."

Despite Aiken's local celebrity, the Coliseum was far from sold out. The top tier balcony was blacked out and second-row seats were made available the day of the show.

CHARLOTTE OBSERVER

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 10:11:44 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2004, 11:06:00 AM » 

ATLANTA

CONCERT: 'Idols' appearance at Arena a wild success

Not a seat was left at the Arena at Gwinnett Center for the Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken show Wednesday night.

"The show was sold out, totally," said Arena booking manager Jerry Goldman.

The crowd? More diverse than expected. A mix of children, teens and adults came to see the former "American Idol"
contestants perform.

ATLANTA JOURNAL CONSTITUTION

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Indepedent Tour 2004  |  INDEPENDENT TOUR MEDIA REVIEWS

gfxgfx
gfx