gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229517 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 10:30:45 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Indepedent Tour 2004  |  INDEPENDENT TOUR FAN REVIEWS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: INDEPENDENT TOUR FAN REVIEWS  (Read 51224 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
INDEPENDENT TOUR FAN REVIEWS
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:13:09 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster

INDEPENDENT TOUR FAN REVIEWS
« on: February 25, 2004, 02:23:28 PM »   

Whether it was cosmic planetary alignment, karma, an extraordinary blessing or just plain luck, Sundancer, Moonshot and I found our seats (upgraded just one day before the concert) to be be directly along the path Clay took to the stage as he entered singing Kyrie Elieson through the audience - reaching out to touch the outstretched hands of fans along the way.  It was a very brave thing for him to do. 
It was for us. 
It was a perfect entrance, a perfect song, a perfect night.  And Moonshot got the perfect picture, which will be posted as soon as she gets home and sends it to me.  8)

Which led to Clay's perfect intro of the next song, Perfect Day. He also sang:

I Will Carry You
All About Love (Steven Curtis Chapman song)
No More Sad Song
When You Say You Love Me
Without You (new duet w/Kim Locke)   
Invisible
Run to Me

All About Love is a very uptempo song, and Clay was on the verge of dancing a few times!  It made Sundancer very happy.  He was all over the stage, which had a raised platform behind the band with steps leading up on either side of the stage. 

Without You is the song Clay duets with Kim Locke on her upcoming album.  He sang it with Quiana this time, and it was a beautiful soaring romantic ballad, sung with great emotion and passion.  Their voices actually blended well together, and I hope the version with Kim is as lovely.  And romantic.  ::swoon::

Which reminds me - the mic stand has left the building.  The entire set was performed with a hand held microphone; it did make it much easier for Clay to roam the stage, which was T shaped with a catwalk extending out into the first five rows.  He was up and down the steps, across the platform, over to the back up singers, down the catwalk, which brought him practically into the audience, he was very energetic and dynamic, connecting with the audience at every opportunity.

He sang to people, he waved - he sang part of one whole song to someone in the front rows.  We were all extremely jealous.  (j/k!) 
He spoke to the audience, made a crack about the feedback (a recurring event-but not overly distracting) and interacted with the band and the back up singers.  The fist pumping and air guitar action was very stimulating.    :

At about the half way point, stools were brought onto the stage, and Clay sat with the back up singers (Angela, Quiana and Jacob, who were excellent by the way) and explained that singing in church was always a meaningful experience and that singing with minimal accompaniment was fun and rehearsing a couple of songs in that manner had led to the choice of singing several songs.  So, the acoustic set included:

Measure of a Man
Fields of Gold
When I Need You
Carolina in my Mind

All were lovely (I was thrilled to hear Fields of Gold and Carolina in my Mind - OMG!) but then....he started singing something in almost a gospel style that sounded vaguely familiar...then the band revs up and the lights start dancing and I realized it was Prince!  When Doves Cry!   : and ::THUD::

That's really when I died. But before I died, I had to get a shovel and scrape Moonshot up off the floor.   :D

He was intense on this one.  He prowled the whole stage, he danced with Angela (did he ever...  : ) and it was amazing! 

Next he sang The Way, and it could have been the best I've ever heard him sing it.  It was emotional and filled with heart and soul and longing.
It was incredible.

He said goodnight and left the stage then; but hello!  The band stayed out there, so we knew something else was coming.  Clay came back and began singing Open Arms, then Kelly appeared on the platform in lovely green dress and they sang the song together.  I thought it was an odd choice of a song to close the show, but Kelly's voice meshed with Clay's very well, and it was a very nice, happy way to wrap things up.  They hugged and said good night and after a minute, the lights came up, even though the rafters were vibrating with the screams and the roar of people beating on their chairs for an encore.

Still, people didn't seem to want to leave.  The ushers and security had to herd us out of the building.  It just wasn't enough.  But I was very grateful for it, and blessed to have spent the time with my friends Sundancer and Moonshot who are both goddesses by the way.

Clay was in great voice.  His singing was, as always, incredibly powerful, moving and resonant.  He switched up some of the songs just a bit and the guitars in the band gave many of them more of a rock flavor.  His speaking voice seemed a bit strained. But what he has is an unfathomable way of always sharing the joy and the romance and the longing and the passion of his songs with us in a most personal way. 
He is a gift and I am very thankful for him.

Amen.

And if you don't believe me, go see for yourself  8)

Fan's photo album
Kelly <3 Clay!
Clay sings to a fan
Souvenirs
MOAF pictures and video
Great pics at ca.com
Airplay Central Video

PLEASE NOTE- THESE LINKS NO LONGER EXIST 3-24-2010

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: INDEPENDENT TOUR FAN REVIEWS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:15:07 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster

CLAY IN CHARLOTTE 2/24
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 02:29:31 PM »   

Even tour partner Kelly Clarkson gets in on the fans' adulation of
Aiken

COURTNEY DEVORES

"It's pretty close to a perfect day if I do say so myself," Clay Aiken beamed, as he finished singing "A Perfect Day" two songs into his set at Charlotte Coliseum Tuesday. "My first concert tour and I get to open it here, at home."

Aiken's appearance Tuesday in Charlotte wasn't just another concert. It was opening night of his co-headlining tour with "American Idol" first-year winner Kelly Clarkson.

For many area fans, the homecoming of last year's Idol runner-up and UNC Charlotte grad was an event. Two local fan groups, Charlotte Claymates and M'Aiken a Difference, gathered late Tuesday afternoon at area restaurants to share the anticipation.

For many the Charlotte date is just the first in a string of stops on the tour.

Lily Elkins, 14, of Durham and her mother plan on catching Aiken in Raleigh and Winston-Salem as well.

"I didn't watch the first `American Idol,' " Lily said shortly after Clarkson's set. "But I started watching the second one the night they showed Clay's tryout. I liked both Ruben and Clay, then Clay did `Grease' and I saw him sing in Raleigh and I was a Clay fan from there."

Clarkson, whose fiery voice rivals today's top pop divas, looked ever the down-to-earth country girl in baggy, ripped jeans, a vintage "Love That Country Music" baby T-shirt, and bare feet. The only hint of diva from the Texas native was her glitter eye shadow and the blue bustier and crop pants she later sported through Reba McEntire's "Why Haven't I Heard From You?"

Clarkson didn't seem to mind handing over the spotlight to Aiken. She even made her own "I Love Clay" tee. While she belted out gospel, jazz and pop numbers with energetic vigor, she saved the one-two punch of "A Moment Like This," her "American Idol" winner, and her No. 1 hit "Miss Independent" for last.

"I wasn't a big Kelly fan, but she was wonderful," said Amanda Garrett, 24, of Asheville, who wore a pair of homemade Clay earrings with two Clay faces hovering above her shoulders.

Spurred on by chants of "We Want Clay," Aiken surprised everyone by entering from the audience. His backup singers sang the first few bars of Mr. Mister's '80s hit "Kyrie," as Aiken joined in from the back of the arena followed by a swarm of security guards. Wearing a pin-striped blue shirt and tie, gray, striped slacks and white Nikes, Aiken soared through songs like "No More Sad Songs," and "Without You," a duet with backup singer Kiana Parlor, whom he met during his Idol tryout here in Charlotte. The duet is a new one, which Aiken recorded with former Idol contestant and roommate Kimberly Locke for her upcoming debut album.

When Aiken sang the lyrics "When you say you love me do you mean it" he was met with deafening cheers. Aiken played up his heartthrob image by pulling on his button-down shirt as if he'd tear it off during his current hit "Invisible."

Despite Aiken's local celebrity, the Coliseum was far from sold out. The top tier balcony was blacked out and second-row seats were made available the day of the show.

CHARLOTTE OBSERVER

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:17:32 PM »
lorilovesgolf

CLAY IN CHARLOTTE 2/24
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 02:42:00 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The entire set was performed with a hand held microphone; it did make it much easier for Clay to roam the stage, which was T shaped with a catwalk extending out into the first five rows.

Be still my heart - my tickets are in row 5 on the floor - my poor husband will have to scrape me off the floor!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:18:08 PM »
aikenseeker
Global Moderator

CLAY IN CHARLOTTE 2/24
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 02:44:15 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GAH! Thanks for the report Pamela! Glad you had a good time!!!!

HUGS!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »
Leveland
  CLAY IN CHARLOTTE 2/24
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 02:49:26 PM » 

Thank God you are back safe and sound.. We have been sitting on the edge of our seats waiting for your return.. Thanks for letting 

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:19:08 PM »
AdoringClay
 THANK YOU, PAMELA!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 02:53:27 PM » 

:D THANK YOU, PAMELA!  We're so glad to hear you're still alive and that the Weapons of Mass Seduction got you, but didn't kill you!

The gals in the BLPT have been going crazy this morning.  They sent out a possee to look for anyone that attended the concert, but never found anyone!  It's been sooooo quiet here this morning. They ass(u)(me)d that you guys must be on the freeway chasing OBC's bus to Atlanta!

Thanks for the great report.  I watched the download of "When Doves Cry" and am blown away by it, but am bound and determined to have the will power not to watch any more concert clips.  I want to keep it a surprise...

So, all in all, sounds like YOU WEREN'T DISAPPOINTED, HUH???!!!!!!!!!  Sue G.

(Now, you didn't act all fangirly and embarrass yourself or those around you, did you?  You didn't jump or scream or cry or anything, right?  You just sat there and took notes, right???  Was Mr. Pamela there???)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:25:27 PM by Marilyn »

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:19:54 PM »
iluvred
CLAY IN CHARLOTTE 2/24
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 02:53:27 PM » 

Pamela,

As usual eloquently written and so much visual.  Like we were there

You're the best.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:26:04 PM by Marilyn »

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:20:40 PM »
Sundancer
 CLAY IN CHARLOTTE 2/24
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 02:54:32 PM » 

It made Sundancer very happy.

It made Sundancer very proud.  :
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:26:48 PM by Marilyn »

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:21:05 PM »
lorilovesgolf
 CLAY IN CHARLOTTE 2/24
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 02:54:53 PM » 

I was surprised there was no "Solitaire."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:27:26 PM by Marilyn »

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:28:15 PM »
cjrmax
CLAY IN CHARLOTTE 2/24
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 02:55:36 PM » 

The show wasn't sold-out in Charlotte?  What's wrong with those people??

I don't think I can stand it 6 more days!!!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 08:28:41 PM »
AngelMacy127
 Why?
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 03:06:36 PM » 

Me and NJCough7 have a complaint!  We are attending the March 19th concert in Dallas, Texas, and NJCough7 after seeing the song list last night about sunk into depression (only not really, but she was so upset) when she saw that Clay is not singing Touch, nor This is the Night.  Ugh!  We are still so super psyched for the concert, but why Clay, Why?! :(

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 08:29:05 PM »
clay4me03
Clay's Concert
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 03:36:01 PM » 

Oh my GOSH!!  I LOVE the dance moves he did to When Doves Cry (which, I never really liked until now!!!)  He said he doesn't know how to dance???  The man has some moves baby, let me tell you!  Doesn't he realize what he is doing to all of us???  I think he does, shame on him!  Little devil!  Be still my heart, I don't know HOW I am gonna last til March 21st in St. Louis!!!!!  Out of breath right now!  I keep watching the video clip (which is downloaded on my computer) OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!  I have 5 children...how am I supposed to do for them after seeing that???  I gotta go.....I gotta cool off!  Oh baby is all I have to say!  WOWOWOWOWEEEEEEE!!!

Jacki

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:30:16 PM »
mrs. c.
CLAY IN CHARLOTTE 2/24
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 03:43:58 PM » 

Thank you Pamela, it is so easy to feel the emotion of the show thru you, I love to read your posts!! Sounds like we have a wonderful experience ahead of us when we all get to go!!  I have always loved When Doves Cry can't wait to hear him sing it live!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 08:30:49 PM »
Sundancer
 CLAY IN CHARLOTTE 2/24
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 03:48:39 PM » 

Me and NJCough7 have a complaint! ... NJCough7 after seeing the song list last night about sunk into depression (only not really, but she was so upset) when she saw that Clay is not singing Touch, nor This is the Night.

Perhaps you can wait until you see what he is singing for you before you sink into depression. I think you'll be pleased.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 08:31:20 PM »
clayfannj
CLAY IN CHARLOTTE 2/24
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 03:59:02 PM » 

Just beautifully written,again, Pamela... No one like you... We were panting in anticipation...   I'm starting to recover, :

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Indepedent Tour 2004  |  INDEPENDENT TOUR FAN REVIEWS

gfxgfx
gfx