gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229833 Posts in 2575 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay April 16, 2024, 05:48:38 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Tried and True Tour 2011  |  MIAMI, FL THE ADRIENNE ARSHT CENTER- 02/10/2011
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: MIAMI, FL THE ADRIENNE ARSHT CENTER- 02/10/2011  (Read 23079 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: MIAMI, FL THE ADRIENNE ARSHT CENTER- 02/10/2011
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:54 AM »
MERIEEE

Absolutely reconsider! It is a beautiful evening. Intimate.....yes! A beautiful voice........omg yes! It is nothing like any other show and I loved it. His voice was subtle and nuanced and then it just soared! He needs to be heard in person. When he sang UM it got me.....I mean really got me right in my gut! I could just feel the song vibrating through me. Gosh I sound like a fan! Well yes I am and if he continues to sing to me like that I will be a fan forever!
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »
Mini recap from the CC

(idlefan @ 10 February 2011 - 11:05 PM)
I know everyone wanted more from On My Way Here, but the show tonight was really special. That opening number rocked the rafters, and his Solitare closed it the same way. In between, he gave us all the shades and nuances he's perfected over the last 8 years onstage. He was charming, funny, personal, familiar, powerful, gracious. He was just perfect, in my eyes. Yes, the hair was attrocious and he was so proud of it! Said it took 6 cans of hairspray and would be flaking off on his sweater all evening *g*. He was very appreciative of the building but the accoustics, which would have been fabulous with a full orchestra, were not so great for a 4 man band...the echos gave him fits. He walked the stage, came way down front, sat on the edge for a couple of the more tender ballads, pulled out a stool for "In My Life". Fiddled with his mic stand until he broke it. The set list was fun, with a pretty even mix of tempos. I loved hearing him open with something we'd not heard before, and the way they translated The Way and Invisible to big band sound was great fun. He even gave us a tiny shirt tug for old times' sake. *g*

I'll try to come up with a more cohesive recap tomorrow, but I wanted to get something in writing tonight.

I hope Clay was happy with the show and the response. He worked hard, he gave me my money's worth. I was entertained and I'm looking forward to doing it all over again on Saturday.

I really love that man.

Oh, about the hair. When he bragged about how hard he'd worked on it and the band started laughing, Felix hit a rim shot and Clay told him not to start. BWAH!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2011, 12:16:50 PM »
("idlefan4ca")

Actually, that was the little Invisible tug. The rooster fighting his pants was a bonus. Clay has an irrational love of those baggy-ass jeans, but baggy zipper area does provide interesting photo opportunities. *g*

I work with numbers all day but am really bad at guessing how many people may be in the house. The center orchestra was not full to the back of the room. The front orchestra was not full to the middle of the house. There were scattered people in the lower boxes, and one lonely guy up in the second tier that caught Clay's eye. Clay told those folks in the boxes that we could squeeze them in downstairs. In fact, he made several funny but sad remarks about the size of the crowd throughtout the evening. While waiting in line for my cattle-call --- my PBS M&G --- I overheard the PBS rep say that they would be talking about how they fell down on promotion, because in her words, "there is no reason those seats should have been empty." And it sounded like the station is taking responsibility for the failure to adequately promote. They played the special many times, but beyond that I don't know what else they did to sell this fabulous evening. Granted, I do not listen to radio any more except in the car, so I don't know if they ever put any ads on air --- they didn't get any on AC during drive time. I don't think there were any print ads, there was no billboard, it was not listed in local entertainment schedules until the last week or so. As to whether PBS pulled in any new folks, I hope somebody else has some feel for that because I didn't really notice. From where I sat, it was mostly us.

All that said, I think we showed him the love. He definitely worked for it last night. If he were to ask my advice, which he won't, my only notes involve hairspray, dress pants and a lap dance for the blonde in the kickass boots. And adding "The Real Me" and "Sacrificial Love". Oh, and practicing "Who's Sorry Now" in the gospel/polka/folk/techno/classical style. But honestly, he doesn't need to change a thing to please me. He already does that in spades.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
("idlefan4ca")
My PBS M&G was the old fashioned slam-bam-thank you ma'am style. Line up, no cameras, no autographing (one exception for a fan who travelled from overseas), "Hi, whatsyername, thanks for yer support, SMILE, thanks again" and gently direct you to the sidelines to watch the others move through the line. My hubby gave him the surf/beach theme for "Who's Sorry Now" (old Beach Boy fan, sue me!) and Clay thanked him twice for his "participation". The station took photos and gave us a website to download from in a couple of days. I remembered to remove my glasses but kept my damn red purse (stuffed with camera and CDs!) under my arm, essentially pushing poor hubby out of the picture I'm afraid, and probably ruining the photo as well. Trust me, there was nothing coming between me and my boyfriend for that shot. He just reaches around and pulls you in so close and comfy. I've met him several times, hell, I gave him CHILLS, but he never remembers me from year to year. Go figure. This time I'm blaming it on my 85 pound weight loss...I'm 2/3 the woman I was on our last date, so he's forgiven. After a few minutes of standing around watching other men and women try to make off with my beau, I felt a coughing jag coming on and beat a hasty exit to keep from spreading whatever this cold thing is around. Mary thanked me. heh. Seriously, I didn't breathe the whole time my face was next to Clay's anyway. I'm sure he's safe. No, really. I didn't let that cough go until I was safely out the door and headed for the ladies room and a hankie. And that's the extent of my M&G. Until the next time Clay forgets he's met me before. *g*

Note: His hair looked better up close, after 2 hours of humidity took some of the starch out of it. Or maybe I just got used to it after the initial shock. Either way, he looked good enough to eat. The shoulders certainly helped. Ydle thinks he's looking a little chunky. Do you think my husband might be just a little jealous after all these years? hmmmm....

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2011, 12:23:53 PM »
DISCUSSION ON PBS PROMOTION

And this from the CH:

QUOTE ("Pink Armchair")
("Corabeth")

I overheard the PBS rep say that they would be talking about how they fell down on promotion, because in her words, "there is no reason those seats should have been empty." And it sounded like the station is taking responsibility for the failure to adequately promote. They played the special many times, but beyond that I don't know what else they did to sell this fabulous evening
I'm glad they saw it that way. They have to realize that there are only so many people who will buy expensive PBS pledge tickets and they have to reach out to non PBS watchers to fill the rest of the seats. It makes the concert more profitable and they could also end up getting more PBS supporters after the fact.
Actually, about three weeks ago I got a message from the pledge director at my station, asking me to give the Miami station a call and see what I could do to help their PR people with ideas for selling out this concert. (Clay must have made quite an impression during the brief time he was here, because this was the first time I'd ever been approached about anything like this. It seems they really wanted to help make it/him a success. I must say I was touched.)

Anyway, I called and found myself on a conference call with three very nice ladies from Miami PBS who said very nice things about Clay -- I told them I could put something out on the fan message boards, but that frankly any online fans who were even marginally paying attention already knew about the tour, and most who were planning to go to this show had bought their tickets weeks ago. If any were still on the fence, I said, they were probably waiting on the weather. (As I said this, about six inches of snow had fallen outside my office window, and they seemed not to understand -- "Weather? Why would that be a problem?" Must be nice, seldom having to take winter and its vicissitudes into consideration. *g*)

So I advised them to focus on the NJU crowd and they assured me that they were -- they ran through a bunch of things they were doing to get the word out. (I think one of the ladies on this call was in that video that included a segment on Clay.) From my experience and what they told me, I do think they were doing what they could with the resources they had. At one point, they suggested offering a M&G, and I said I thought they already were, plus there were OFC and VIP M&Gs, so there was going to be a limit on what Clay could do in that regard, timewise. No idea what became of that suggestion.

You have to understand that PBS stations rarely have marketing budgets any more. I haven't had one in years, not even for a wire release -- I have to beg, borrow and steal just to get a flyer designed and printed. If you see a print ad, a billboard, radio or TV spots advertising a local PBS show (except on the station's own air), it's almost certainly because they either did a barter or received a restricted grant. And trust me, the very LAST thing stations want to spend money on is promotion. It is the lowest priority...until, of course, they wonder why their ratings are low or nobody is in the seats.

Just wanted to stand up for these folks -- I know very well what they were facing, and I hope they weren't too disappointed with the end result. Sounds like it was a great show, so they must have been happy with that, at least.

Tiffany

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2011, 01:52:44 PM »
Thanks Marilyn. Interesting stuff. And thanks for posting all the pics and recaps too. *thud* Gorgeous. Thinking about a new avie. There is quite a few videos up now at CU. Have to say he looks very happy and his voice was flawless. Can't wait to see him!

http://www.clackunlimited.com/clack/Concert_Clack/2011_Tried_And_True/Miami/

Prissy

• Claymaniac
« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Thanks Marilyn and Tiffany for all the information about the first concert;  pictures, too.

I am going to the Houston Concert on Valentine's Day.  JoAnn, her mom, Jennie, Frankie, and my husband, Skip, are going, too.  The four of us (not Skip) have a M&G with Clay from the Houston PBS station.  Is he not signing anything for the PBS folks??  From one of the posts, I got that impression. 

We will also go to the concert in Grand Prairie on March 8.  Again, PBS tickets and M&G passes!!

To whom much has been given, much is required.  
God presents the opportunity;  we choose our response:  "Yes" or "No."
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.   
Be selective in your battles;  sometimes peace is better than being right.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #187 on: February 11, 2011, 02:47:18 PM »
Thanks Marilyn and Tiffany for all the information about the first concert;  pictures, too.

I am going to the Houston Concert on Valentine's Day.  JoAnn, her mom, Jennie, Frankie, and my husband, Skip, are going, too.  The four of us (not Skip) have a M&G with Clay from the Houston PBS station.  Is he not signing anything for the PBS folks??  From one of the posts, I got that impression. 

We will also go to the concert in Grand Prairie on March 8.  Again, PBS tickets and M&G passes!!

Thats GREAT!! One person said that his assistant took the things back out of the room for them to sign, so I am not sure. Perhaps if there are less people there would be more time. I will try to see if others post from M&G's

But you DO get an up close and personal PICTURE with him!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #188 on: February 17, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »
k4clay2

Even though I am late in doing this I was originally going to write a recap of the three Florida concerts I attended but I am only going to write about my experience in Miami for it was there that the stars were perfectly aligned and 777 was showing in the little glass windows.

Clay sat on the edge of the stage, his left hand on his thigh, legs swinging slightly, right hand holding the microphone and all the while singing in that perfect voice!

He sat directly in front of us, Floridaiken, jasr9203 and me, as we were seated in the first row of the PIT. I now know that he sang "What Kind Of Fool Am I?" and "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" while sitting there looking gorgeous but you wouldn’t be able to prove it by me. I was so focused on his physical being that I couldn’t hear his words. Really, I couldn’t. (I see his lips are moving. He must be singing!)

The first thing I noticed was his porcelain skin that seemed almost translucent under the spotlight, portions of which were dressed in light cinnamon stubble that brought all of my hormones rushing to the surface. (Calm yourself, Kay, calm yourself. Remember to breathe!)

Then of course there were those long, lush lashes sweeping over the blue/green of his eyes. I swear I have never seen a man with lashes so perfect! He looked directly at me for a brief moment and my heart literally stopped (it did start up again several minutes later in case you are wondering). When he looks at you it is as though he is looking deep into your soul. “Eye f - - k” is the only way I know to describe what he does to you. (Don’t faint right here, Kay, not here in front of him!)

As my eyes moved over his face, I found myself fascinated by his nose which is wonderfully shaped and placed precisely where it’s supposed to be. I love his nose!

However, it was his mouth that completely entranced me. I couldn’t stop staring at his pink lips of perfection that framed snow white teeth glistening in the lights, nor at his tongue which was moving like a rose-colored snake dancing to the music of the night. And stare I did. (Quit staring, Kay. You look pathetic!) I just wanted to crawl into that beautiful beckoning mouth and set up residency.

For the eight minutes or so of bliss that he sat there I was so tempted to reach across the three feet that separated us just to touch his knee, just to feel his body heat on my finger tips, but I forced myself to sit there motionless. (You can’t just jump up and grab him! Sit still and behave yourself!)

I love him!

PS Sorry I can’t describe his clothes. I think he may have been naked

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Tried and True Tour 2011  |  MIAMI, FL THE ADRIENNE ARSHT CENTER- 02/10/2011

gfxgfx
gfx