gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229512 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 06:17:39 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Indepedent Tour 2004  |  WILKES-BARRE
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WILKES-BARRE  (Read 10181 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
WILKES-BARRE
« on: March 22, 2010, 03:26:03 AM »
GWENN
WILKES-BARRE
« on: March 07, 2006, 03:55:01 PM »   
LET'S TALK ABOUT THAT WONDERFUL CONCERT.  MANY OF US WERE THERE.  WE WILL NEVER FORGET THE FEELINGS IN THAT ROOM.  EVEN BEFORE CLAY SANG ONE NOTE.  IT WAS PALPABLE.  IT WAS ELECTRIC.  AND WHEN WE STARTED TO SING AND THE TEARS WERE IN HIS EYES, NOTHING CAN EVER, EVER REPLACE THAT FEELING.  AND NEITHER WILL CLAY:

"I am still surprised when people in the crowd sing along. Once on the last tour as we were playing Measure of a Man, I had to stop singing for a second to clear my throat. I went quiet, but the whole audience kept singing the words. I stopped and listened to them. Then my eyes welled up. I was almost light-headed. I had to grab my backup singer's hand to steady myself because I thought, There are fifteen thousand people in this room and they all know this song! They're all singing my song. Which means they listen to my song in their cars. I'm in their cars! I'm in their houses! It was one of those times when my new life washed over me, when I felt the power of music. It was almost too much."- Clay Aiken from Learning To Sing. 

GWENN

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:57:06 AM by Marilyn »
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: WILKES-BARRE
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 09:30:40 PM »
ILClaymate
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 04:12:49 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gwenn ~ sound like it was a great time and what an experience.  I can share some pics.   

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:31:24 PM »
Marilyn
ANN News Team
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 04:43:28 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I HAVE WATCHED THAT CLIP (OR THE NEW MONTAGE OF IT) MANY MANY TIMES

I ENVY YOU, GWENN, FOR BEING THERE TO WITNESS IT IN PERSON. IT MUST HAVE FILLED YOUR HEART TO OVERFLOWING.

WHAT A WONDERFUL MAN!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 09:32:09 PM »
cjrmax
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 07:47:35 PM » 

I went back into the archives and found my review of that concert.  I thought you all might get a kick out of reading it!

I posted most of this on another thread, but wanted to share it here too.  This was my 2nd Clay concert - the first being in Philadelphia - and all I can say is WOW!  Well, actually, that's not all I can say.....   

Its almost 4am and I just got home a little while ago.  No one is around, but that's ok.  I didn't think I would post when I got home.  I just drove well over 300 miles today, left Wilkes-Barre in a driving sudden snow storm that was so bad I had the illusion that my car was going backwards, not forward!  We were travelling at a whopping 25 miles per hour over dark, unfamiliar roads late at night, barely able to see where the road was.  But I would do it all again in a heart beat!

They seemed much more on the ball in Wilkes-Barre than they were in Philly.  Yes, they wouldn't let us take in the presents we had for Clay, but I felt confident that the very nice, sweet, 50-ish woman who took them would make sure they would get to Clay.  She promised, and I believe her!  They did look in bags, but had a more relaxed camera policy than the Liacouras Center.  NO videos were allowed, naturally - AND THEY SEEMED TO ENFORCE IT!  I hope someone succesfully snuck one in so we can have some downloads, but a woman in front of us was hauled away by Jerome and Arena Security and we heard it was because they found out she had a video camera with her!  She returned later but without her bag!  Anyway, they said no "professional" type cameras with removable lenses, but any other kind was ok.  In Philly, they TRIED to prevent ALL photography, but soon after Clay made his entrance they gave up and we were told it was ok to take pictures!  No problem at all in Wilkes-Barre.

They were also very good at getting people to put down signs if they held them up.  This was great, because there were a few people in front of us (we were in the 7th row this time, near the catwalk) with signs and they blocked our views!  IMO, signs should NOT be allowed in at a concert! Anyway, they also stopped people from standing on chairs.  The event staff actually looked like they were doing their jobs!

The reception for Kelly was good, but not enthusiastic.  I think the crowd was more enthusiastic with Kelly in Philly.  She did wear her "I heart Clay" t-shirt here, which she didn't in Philly. But from the moment her set was over, you could feel the excitement and the electricity building.  From time to time chants of "WE WANT CLAY" or "CLAY! CLAY! CLAY!"  would spring up.  And then when the lights went down and the music for Kyrie started the place went wild!  And it never stopped.

I truly don't think Clay was feeling well. His hair looked as if he just got out of bed. When he first entered, he didn't have the same pep in his step he had had in Philly.  He looked tired.  But you could tell he was giving it everything he had.  He started out saying he wasn't going to talk much, but you know Clay!  That just isn't possible!  I think the crowd energized him.  He looked around and commented on how packed the house was (it was filled to the rafters!) and how loud the crowd was and it was as if suddenly he was able to reach down deep inside himself and somehow, some way pull that extra something out!  He said to the crowd "You guys are making this fun!"  I have this feeling that before the show there was a big part of him just wishing he didn't have to put on a happy face and go out there.  But once on stage, seeing these masses of people looking up at him with adoring eyes,  it was if he was fueled by their love!  Maybe even more so than in Philly, this crowd looked at him with such love in their eyes!  Looking around at the people you could just see it.  And it was a very different crowd than in Philly.  Lots more men - several wearing Clay concert t-shirts!  Many more families.  But it was still a predominantly female audience.  Anyway, I almost felt as if the crowd sensed Clay wasn't feeling his best and loved him all the more (if that's possible!) because there he was, giving it is all for them!

Once Clay got started, he joked (talked about the WDC dance in DC - saying he knew we all knew what happened! Ah, the power of the internet!), and laughed.  He was hysterical at times!  His singing voice sounded strong.  His "screeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaammmmmm" during WDC was long and strong!  His speaking voice sounded deeper than usual, but not really hoarce.  Actually, it was sort of sexy!  He hit some phenominally low notes in some of his songs that I didn't think he could hit! He changed up a few songs, but nothing dramatic.

His WDC was the most fun ever!  He had a hard time not giggling during the slow part, I think because he could feel the crowd wondering what new , um, shall we say dance move, he would do tonight!  And when the "dance" part came, they were really into it tonight!!!  I swear it is getting sexier and sexier (although I bet he tones it down in Winston-Salem if his Mom is there!).  But the best part was when Angela went down on him - OK, shimmied down on him!  It caught him totally by surprise and he just lost it!  He broke out laughing so hard I thought he was going to fall over!  Once he regained his composure, the "dance" continued til the end!  It was almost as if Angela figured that Clay had surprised her in DC, so she was going to surprise him in Wilkes-Barre!  And she did!  It was truly one of the highlights of the show! Pray for a download!!

At the end, when he went to sing "The Way" they were having some technical difficulties, and he tried to sing through it but gave up, and asked the audience if he could start over.  Of course we said sure!  He laughed about it, but I think the perfectionist in him was a teeney bit annoyed!

Open Arms was great.  Kelly wore a very flattering black dress and she looked beautiful.  It was only at the end of this song that I noticed him struggling a little bit with his voice.

But to me, the highlight of the show BY FAR was the moment Clay didn't sing.  It was during the acoustic set - which was definitely better than in Philly.  They seemed to do more of each song than in Philly. (There were slight techinical difficulties here too.  The guitarist must have broken a string because suddenly there was no guitar and a new one was brought out to him!) But, when he started MOAM and he noticed the audience singing along, he just held the mike out and we all sang every word perfectly (actually, it did sound pretty good!).  The emotion on his face!  Angela was crying.  Quinana was crying.  Clay put his hand on her knee as if to comfort her and to steady himself.  I looked through my telephoto lens briefly and he was crying!  He definitely wiped away tears.  I think it totally caught him off guard.  This song that means so much to him - every word was being sung TO him with such love and respect and admiration!  It clearly overwhelmed him!  And the songs that followed seemed the richer for it!  He was so moved it made me a little misty eyed!  It just took my breath away.  We just were all so caught up in the moment.  We were singing this song FOR CLay!  And he felt our love.  It was almost as if there were 10,000 pairs of arms embracing him in the world's largest group hug!  I don't know if any of what I have written can come close to conveying the emotion of that moment.  It was very intimate and very personal.

And that's what this concert was that the Philly concert - for all its indescribable joy - wasn't.  It just felt more intimate and personal.  It left us feeling so full, so amazingly full! Maybe it was the crowd.  Maybe it was that he clearly was not feeling well.  Maybe it was the full moon.  I don't know.  All I know is that I didn't want it to end!  Never in my life have I experienced what I felt tonight.  I know I won't forget it as long as I live.

I only wish I could afford a 3rd concert!

Hmmm.  How ironic is that last line!  Somehow I did afford a 3rd concert - in San Jose!!  Gwenn and I went to San Jose for 24-hours just to see Clay!  How nuts were we???

You know, what made this night so special was how spontaneous it all was.  There was nothing planned.  It just happened.  It seems ever since that night, people have been trying to plan something just as special.  While I am sure Clay appreciates each and every one of those gestures, this night can never be duplicated because it wasn't planned.  It came from nowhere - no, it came from our hearts.  In the 2 years since, I have found more and more people who were there and every one has the same memory.  And apparently so does Clay.  How amazing was it that he chose that moment to mention in his book.

I felt so lucky to have been there 2 years ago. I still feel that way today.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 09:32:57 PM »
GWENN
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 09:55:53 PM » 

THANKS FOR FINDING THAT, CHRISTIE.  YOU HAVE ALL THE DETAILS.  IT TRULY WAS AN AMAZING NIGHT.

GWENN

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 09:34:11 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 10:19:54 PM » 

Thanks for the pictures, the recaps, the memories! 

A night to remember; I wish I were there.  Here's a pic.  It cracks me up, because he has someone's goofy nametag from a meet and greet stuck on his jacket and yet he's so wrapped in the emotion of the moment. 

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 09:34:43 PM »
wisconsinmaniac
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 12:22:36 AM » 

Gwenn and Christie ! 

Thank you for sharing your memories of THAT concert!  How wonderful it must have been to actually be there!  Your "reviews" of that night in 2004 are a magnificent read!
The pictures . . . Thanks, Angela  . . . 

Pamela - I don't remember ever seeing that particular picture with the sticky name-tag hanging off his shoulder.

I had just learned to download videos during the IT and it seemed that I downloaded everything!.    But when I started to "delete" most of the downloads throughout that tour, I realized that the "acoustic set from Wilkes-Barre" was something special.   I still have it saved!   Just to be on the safe side, I have downloaded and saved the recent montage of that particular part of the concert . . . 

And we know, for a fact, that it was an unforgettable emotional moment for Clay.   I loved that he mentioned it in his book.

Clay concerts sure are memory makers!   

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 09:35:19 PM »
banditgirl13
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 04:46:20 PM » 

I just watched this clip today! It was a great moment... being there would have been amazing.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:46:12 PM »
2010- HERE ARE TWO VERSIONS OF THE MOMENT
THE SECOND IS FROM YOLLIE- WITH CLAYS VOICE FROM THE NARRATION OF LEARNING TO SING

WILKES BARRE MOAM AND FIELDS OF GOLD

THE DAWNING- WILKES BARRE 2001

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Indepedent Tour 2004  |  WILKES-BARRE

gfxgfx
gfx