gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229528 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 29, 2024, 04:42:16 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Solo Tour 2004  |  SOLO TOUR MEDIA - PREVIEWS, REVIEWS & MORE
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SOLO TOUR MEDIA - PREVIEWS, REVIEWS & MORE  (Read 35594 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: SOLO TOUR MEDIA - PREVIEWS, REVIEWS & MORE
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2010, 01:48:03 PM »
lorraine
Newspaper: "...Aiken fans gets second chance"
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2004, 10:14:59 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THAT IS REALLY GREAT NEWS.  OF COURSE WHEN CLAY HEARD WIND OF IT HE CARES ENOUGH ABOUT HIS FANS AND MADE IT RIGHT.

LORRAINE
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2010, 01:48:23 PM »
playingclay
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2004, 10:41:29 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Way to go Clay!!
Any bets he was ticked off at somebody for the mess up?

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2010, 01:48:46 PM »
stellium
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2004, 11:09:20 AM » 

Playing,  I totally agree that Clay was not happy when he heard about the mix-up.

Can't you hear him getting on the phone to different people in charge of his schedule and saying "FIX THIS !"

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2010, 01:49:05 PM »
lovinclay
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2004, 12:46:31 PM » 

CLAY ALWAYS SEEMS TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT, DOESN'T HE?

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »
ClayBuf
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2004, 02:07:02 PM » 

That's our Clay! Fans first. :

I also find it amusing that the TV station helped pay the expenses for the fans' trip to Rockford. It was their promotion, after all.

We all knew this would come to an amiable conclusion. He just never lets us down. 8)

~Buffi

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
heater
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2004, 06:47:54 PM » 

We all knew that Clay would go out of his way to right the wrong and he didn't dissapoint!  Way to go Clay!   :D

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2010, 01:50:20 PM »
Invisible Touch
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2004, 08:28:46 PM » 

I am also impressed that the remedy to this situation was printed in the paper.  Many times it is just the initial bad situation that is reported and then when things get worked out they don't report it.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2010, 01:50:56 PM »
stellium
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2004, 10:42:48 PM » 

Invisible Touch,  I agree that we are lucky to have reporter Nick Rogers sympathetic to this situation from the very first,  after he first of all gave us that delightful interview where Clay talked about Kimberley cooking breakfast,  and then he reviewed Clay's concert so glowingly. 

Since then, he has written the page two article about miscommunication being the cause of the mix-up of the meet and greet, and now this follow-up of it being take care of.    So this is his fourth article about Clay in this large state newspaper with a huge circulation in central Illinois. 

I wrote him and this newspaper twice before all of this by him,  the first time an email to him describing Clay after he announced Clay would be coming to the fair, and the second was my Letter to the Editor that was published in early August urging people to buy tickets for Clay,  giving lots of good things that families would appreicate in his performance.   So I hope I contributed a little to Nick Rogers understanding Clay's loyal and loving fanbase as well as his excellent qualities as a sensitive performer.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2010, 01:51:11 PM »
STEPHANIE1130
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2004, 01:05:18 AM » 

clay is great! :D

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »
sarahdebarah1109
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2004, 09:00:59 AM » 

I'm glad the problem was resolved.  Yay Clay!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2010, 01:52:13 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
MEDIA PREVIEWS & REVIEWS
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2004, 11:31:13 AM » 

NUTTER CENTER DAYTON OH REVIEW

To be honest, I went into the Clay Aiken concert Saturday at the Nutter Center not a huge fan. I hadn't caught the American Idol bug when it was going around, and I only knew the words to his single Invisible.

But after Saturday it is easier to understand the Aiken phenomenon: he was charming, had great interaction with his fans, and played music much better than expected.

Though his time on Idol is over, Aiken's career continues, and so does the support of his crazed fans, the "Claymates."

Claymates come in all shapes and sizes, and there were plenty of them. Nutter Center was nearly full. Fans from elementary-school-age children to retirees showed their frenzy for Aiken with signs on neon posters and handmade T-shirts. One group of three young women wore white T-shirts emblazoned with pictures of Aiken and the word "Yummylicious," and matching pink shorts with Aiken's pictures ironed on their backsides. Four women wore neon yellow shirts, with the letters C, L, A, and Y boldly on the front and back.

Aiken pointed out a man in the crowd whose shirt read, "My wife did not drag me here."

One woman held a sign that said she had bet $300 she could get a hug from the singer. In between songs, Aiken hopped off the stage with the help of some security guards, saying "they'll get me back up here somehow!" He walked into the crowd and hugged the elated woman.

His songs were good, too. His nearly two-hour set included his favorites as well as several covers of James Taylor songs.

But it was his interaction with the Claymates that made the evening special. Aiken brought a girl up on stage to be the "dance captain," and presented her with a lei when she left the stage. Next he brought up Megan, a girl about 12, who sang one of his songs, and he joined her in harmony. Before she left the stage, he posed with her for a picture for her mom, who was in the crowd on the floor.

The Claymates went wild from the time when the 24-year-old redhead walked out on stage. In jeans, a casually untucked red striped shirt and a red tie, Aiken flashed a huge smile at the roaring crowd. He was charming, and was definitely a crowd-pleaser.

Aiken sang the title track from his album, Measure of a Man, as well as Run to Me and I Survived You. A typical fan was 9-year-old Fallon Cooper of Centerville: she knew the names of all of the songs and sang along to each one from the stands. She was delighted when Aiken sang her favorite song, Perfect Day.

Aiken's band included two guitar players, a drummer, a keyboardist, and his three backup singers. Toward the end of his concert he sang The Night, "the song that started it all," and showed a video of the highlights of his growing career.

Lastly, he thanked his fans, and sang Invisible. Everyone was on their feet, singing along, and he encored with Solitaire. The Claymates roared as their beloved Aiken descended into the stage on a platform one final time. 

DAYTON DAILY NEWS

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
MEDIA PREVIEWS & REVIEWS
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2004, 11:32:28 AM » 

MEMORIAL COLISEUM FT WAYNE IN PREVIEW
Carolina crooner in town tonight

By Steve Penhollow
The Journal Gazette

Clay Aiken is often described as “elfin.”

There was a time when this sort of adjective, when applied to anyone who was not the Elite Modeling Agency’s “Look of the Year” or anyone who was not cheating on Frank Sinatra with Robert Evans (or vice versa), was an automatic insult.

But we live in days when elves are played on screen by dreamboats like Orlando Bloom, so “elfin” is in.

So is Clay Aiken.

He’s a sex symbol, and the unlikeliest one since Dud-ley Moore joined John Gielgud in that big mansion in the sky.

There are people who can’t quite believe Aiken is a sex symbol, but the biggest skeptic by far is Aiken himself.

The thousands of women who scream nightly for the “American Idol” celeb have done little to convince him.

“That does not make me think I’m a sex symbol,” Aiken said, in a phone interview.

“It makes me think, ‘What is wrong with these ladies?’?”

Aiken performs today at the Memorial Coliseum.

There is little about Aiken’s ascendance that isn’t slightly implausible, except his irrefutable talent.

With his Peter Pan face, his Pee Wee Herman frame, his Richie Cunningham charm and his Anthony Newley voice, Aiken seemed unlikely to survive into the final rounds of the insanely popular and absurdly picky talent showcase.

But Aiken came in second and then proceeded to surpass that season’s winner, Ruben Studdard, in album sales and consumer interest.

There are some fans who still believe a conspiracy was at the heart of Aiken’s silver medal status.

Aiken rubbishes those rumors, however.

“Anyone who was on that show will vouch for the fact that, from our seats, everything was very honest. There was nothing rigged about it

“It was a close call. I kind of say, ‘If it was in the cards for me to win, I would have won.’ In some regards, it was better for me that I didn’t win because the expectations were lower for me.

“I’m proud of him, and he is proud of me. I don’t care whether I won or not.”

Headlining his own tour (something Studdard is also doing, but not without a little gimmickry and added incentive for potential ticket buyers) can hardly be described as a consolation prize for Aiken.

He made the ultimate touring faux pas not too long ago, giving a shout out to South Dakota when he was in North Dakota.

“Hey I’m from North Carolina,” he says, “and if someone had yelled out South Carolina to me, I would have thrown something at him.”

But Aiken has been getting generally good marks from critics for his stage presence, patter and pizazz.

There is nothing like touring the country to help a nascent star understand that his days as a small-town Southern boy are over.

There are few places Aiken can go anymore where he isn’t mobbed.

“It is a little difficult to go out and go shopping,” he said.

“I recently went to a mall in New Hampshire. It had been a long since I’d gone to a mall. It was all right for a while, and then my friend turned to me and said, ‘I think we’re about to wear out our welcome.’ Within minutes, people were chasing us around.

“It is a downside. I talk to my friends back at home, and I tell them, ‘When you’re done with work, you go home. The only time I’m off is when I’m in my house and no one is around.’?”

Not that Aiken is complaining. In fact, the only time the notoriously nice guy got ever-so-slightly agitated during the interview was when the reporter suggested he might have a legitimate excuse for being not-so-nice to the more insistent type of fan.

“You are making it sound like it’s easier to be rude than be nice,” he said. “You make it sound like being nice takes more effort.”

Being nice takes more effort for most, but it’s clearly a cakewalk for Aiken.

The qualities that have caused all nations to call Aiken blessed were unobstructed by the phone lines: his sweet nature, his “aw shucks” humility, his occasional goof-iness.

And, of course, there’s that laugh: like a flock of shocked chickens bursting from the henhouse.

The laugh erupts when Aiken compares and contrasts the first three seasons of “Idol.”

“Kelly and I both argued about which season was best,” Aiken said, “her season or my season. I’m sure Fantasia (Barrino) would argue that her season was the best.

“But we all know that the only person who is right would be me,” Aiken said.
FT WAYNE JOURNAL GAZETTE

Aiken makes his first solo headlining tour

By Ashley Smith
nsfeatures@news-sentinel.com

Ah, the life of a superstar — screaming fans, million-dollar contracts and sold-out concerts. When the tour bus is your home and the road is your back yard.

“It’s kind of something I’ve gotten used to,” former “American Idol” star Clay Aiken said during a phone interview from Knoxville, Tenn.

The 25-year-old from North Carolina began his rise to fame on the second season of Fox’s popular singing contest. He missed the “American Idol” title by 134,400 votes, but that didn’t stop him from becoming the next big American pop star.

Not only did he grab the interest of the American public, but he also captured the attention of magazines such as Rolling Stone, Entertainment Weekly, Teen People and TV Guide.

His first and only album, “Measure of a Man,” topped The Billboard 200 chart for two consecutive weeks in 2003. His first single, “Bridge Over Troubled Water”/“This is the Night,” certified platinum in less than five weeks, and his newest single, “Solitaire”/“The Way,” did the same, a feat unmatched since Elton John’s “Candle in the Wind 1997.”

The rise to stardom may have come quickly, but not unexpectedly for Aiken and his fellow American Idols.

“(Stardom) was something we kind of expected (with the show),” Aiken said. “The jolt was when we were taken off the show. There were a lot of things to get used to.”

Things such as screaming fans, less anonymity and his first solo headlining tour that rolls into Fort Wayne at 7:30 p.m. Sunday at Memorial Coliseum, 4000 Parnell Ave., for a family-friendly performance.

“We’ve got music from the ’60s, ’70s, ’80s, ’90s and this decade. It’s got a lot of variety,” Aiken said. “We’ve also got a lot of stuff from the album. We try to make it for everyone in the family.”

His variety has also helped him keep a broader fan base.

“It’s not that we market ourselves to a broader audience,” Aiken said. “It’s a lot of the stuff that I have an opportunity to record . . . it appeases a broader range. It’s one of the things that baffles me all the time.”

With the huge success of his first album, Aiken hopes to begin work on a second album sometime after the completion of his headlining tour.

“We would love (the album) to be out the first half of next year,” Aiken said.

But before he begins work on a new album, Aiken plans to release a Christmas album and an autobiographical inspirational book titled, “Learning to Sing: Hearing the Music in Your Life” in early November.

“(The book) is an opportunity for me to thank people who have helped make me who I am or who have played a major role (in my life),” Aiken said. “I talked about things that I have gone through with relationships and things that I have learned. You can take different lessons from each experience. It’s just a chance for me to talk about those lessons.”

And for those you of striving to be the next “American Idol,” Aiken has a little advice for you.

“I think you have to go in there and know what you want to do. You can’t go into it not knowing that it’s a competition. Know that you’re there for a purpose.”
FORT WAYNE NEWS SENTINEL

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2010, 01:59:04 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
MEDIA PREVIEWS & REVIEWS
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2004, 11:33:27 AM » 

COLORADO STATE FAIR PUEBLO CO REVIEW

Aiken leaves faithful crowd wanting more -- originals

by J. Adrian Stanley
Colorado Springs Gazette

Clay Aiken seems like an unlikely star. He's small, shy and just a bit goofy.

But it is these qualities that have made him the darling of his fans.

Aiken has prevailed against the odds, and there is something endearing about his awkwardness in the limelight.

When Aiken took the stage at the Events Center at the Colorado State
Fair, a large crowd was waiting to welcome their hero. Armed with signs and plenty of energy, fans old enough to be grandparents and fans still looking forward to high school flooded the auditorium.

Aiken began with a cover of U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name," that was soulful, if not creative. The cover was followed by "Perfect Day," which Aiken performed with more passion than he does on his album, "Measure of a Man."

Although Aiken's stage presence lacks the style and command of more polished pop artists, his charm and earnest nature earned him plenty of points with the crowd.

What is striking about Aiken is the personal relationship he has with his fans. Aiken paused frequently during the show to tell the audience stories and even chat as if he were sitting with a group of friends.
In fact, Aiken spent almost as much time talking as he did singing.

After the first two songs, Aiken paused to initiate a dancing contest between one of his band members and the audience. The prize?
A lei given to him by fans from Hawaii.

After a couple more songs, including "When You Say You Love Me," Aiken brought a young audience member on stage to sing a duet with him. Like family members at a talent show, the audience cheered the girl on.

Much of the rest of the concert consisted of covers, performed by Aiken, a backup singer or as a duet with a backup singer. It's not surprising that Aiken, who has one album, would rely somewhat on covers, but the extent to which he used others' material is a bit unusual.

Apparently James Taylor's biggest fan, Aiken sang no less than four of the older artist's songs, and his backup singer sang "Your Smiling Face" with enough passion and soul to draw attention from the main attraction.

Aiken's voice is perfectly suited for Taylor's songs. His voice especially shined on "Suzanne," which featured vocal acrobatics at the finale.  [Note: Fire and Rain, sung by Jacob]

Although the audience was eager to hear more material from Aiken's album, the singer's voice was showcased far better by the other material. A cover of "Chain of Fools," done as a duet, was the highlight of his performance, allowing Aiken to extend his voice to its limits.
No link - not online. Transcribed at RHT.com

American Idol Aiken worth the wait for fans

By PETER ROPER
THE PUEBLO CHIEFTAIN

Sometimes you have to wait on an idol.

But that didn't seem to matter much to Clay Aiken's fans Thursday night as they waited through an unannounced opening act at the Colorado State Fair before their favorite crooner took the stage 45 minutes after the scheduled starting time.

The crowd of more than 4,400 waited patiently through an opening band called Ben Jelen - a four-member group which delivered a series of plodding songs - until the Events Center lights went off again, signaling Aiken's arrival.

And Aiken didn't disappoint - particularly the many young women who were on their feet cheering from the moment he came down the flashing steps of his stage set to sing U2’s “Where the Streets Have No Name.”

Aiken, who launched his singing career with a second-place finish on the television program "American Idol," is riding a wave of popularity based on his CD titled "The Measure of a Man."

The proof of that were the screams from the crowd that greeted Aiken's first image Thursday night. Before he sang a note in person, the crowd sat through a video of Aiken plugging a new Disney version of the Aladdin movie, the proceeds from which will benefit handicapped children. And then Clay came down the stairs and the concert was off .Ê.Ê. although it would be a short one. Aiken was scheduled to sing for just an hour.
PUEBLO CHIEFTAIN

Clay Conquers Colorado

by Betty Jo Tucker

An article about Clay Aiken on a movie-related site? Sure. After all, Aiken will be singing “Proud of Your Boy” in a new DVD version of Walt Disney’s Aladdin scheduled for release in October. Approximately 5000 fans cheered a commercial for this DVD as it played on giant TV screens before their American Idol finally appeared at his Colorado State Fair concert on September 2, 2004.

Emerging from a tunnel covered with flashing lights, Aiken charmed the screaming audience with his unique voice -- which someone once called a wonder of nature. Selections ranged from ballads like “Measure of a Man” to a spirited medley of songs by James Taylor. But he saved the best for last. As an encore, Aiken stood in the spotlight on an otherwise darkened stage and sang his heart out in a dramatic rendition of “Solitaire.”  That’s the Clay Aiken I love the most -- no flashing lights, no one else on stage, no choreography. Just a man and his song.

In between numbers, Aiken projected his trademark friendliness as he thanked all his fans or joked about the many “I love Clay” signs raised in his honor (“Yours is upside down”) or complimented his talented back-up singers, band members and production crew. When introducing two youngsters chosen to sing and dance with him, he appeared genuinely interested in their performances.     

It’s a treat to watch Aiken’s fans. They come from all age groups. Gazing around the audience at the Events Center, I saw middle-aged folks, twentysomethings, senior citizens, teenagers, and pre-teens wearing “Clay Aiken” T-shirts or sporting “Clay Aiken” buttons. Aiken is truly an artist who has broken through the age barrier with his inter-generational appeal.       

Because my husband and I are avid Aiken fans ourselves, we were thrilled to attend this concert. In fact, we ordered our tickets on the very first day they became available. I stayed on the phone for hours to get the best seats possible. The Events Center at the Colorado State Fair offers seating on the floor of the Center and in the bleachers surrounding the floor. I asked for seats fairly close to the stage in the floor section, and that was a big mistake. Aiken’s most enthusiastic fans seemed to be sitting in that section, but they really weren’t “sitting” (except through the Ben Jelen opening band act).  They stood up during Aiken’s entire program! So, in order to see what was going on, we had to do the same. Although I suffered a back ache the next morning, who cares? That's a small price to pay for such an entertaining evening.
REEL TALK REVIEWS

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
MEDIA PREVIEWS & REVIEWS
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2004, 11:34:10 AM » 

NEW MEXICO STATE FAIR ALBUQUERQUE NM PREVIEW

'Idol' Star Clay Aiken is Still Baffled by Fame

By Leanne Potts
Journal Staff Writer

Nice guys don't always finish last. In Clay Aiken's case, the nice guy finished second— and still ended up on top.

Aiken, the elfin runner-up from season 2 of the reality show "American Idol," turned out to have as much star power as rotund winner Ruben Studdard. The former special education teacher from North Carolina has seen his debut album "Measure of a Man" go platinum, inspired a slew of worshipful Web sites dedicated to following his every move and has a legion of smitten female fans who call themselves "Claymates."

The 25-year-old also has been on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine, and he is in the middle of his third national tour. He will play at the New Mexico State Fair tonight.

Aiken called last week from Buffalo, N.Y., to chat about all things Clay. Here is an edited version of his comments.

On his being named the sexiest male singer of the year by the readers of InStyle magazine:

I don't know what's going on with people! Two years ago, people didn't even know my name. People didn't even pay attention to me. I don't get it. I really don't. It's very confusing to me. I think it's a joke half the time. I saw that thing (about being named the sexiest singer) and I thought I was being punked.

On why so many women are so crazy about him:
It's my musk, I think. Make sure you quote me on that.

On the instant celebrity that resulted from "American Idol":
It's something that takes a lot of getting used to, and I'm not quite there yet. Not long ago I would have been able to go anywhere. Now just to go to the grocery store or the bank or the gas station is quite a procedure. If I want to do something I have to get a security guy to get prepared for this and that and the other, and to get the car ready.

I'm still definitely not used to going out to dinner and having five people come up and interrupt dinner. It puts you in a tough spot, because I have to realize if it wasn't for these people asking for my autograph, I would never be here.

On keeping in touch with his "Idol" competitors:
I talk to Ruben about once a month. He's doing a gospel album right now. Kim Locke is my roommate in L.A. I talk to the others whenever I get the opportunity, so we kind of stay in touch. We're kind of a family. We worked together. We lived together. We went through the same stuff. We'll stay close forever, I'm sure.

On the waning popularity of "Idol" in its most recent season:
I'd like to think it's because the talent wasn't as good. I'm kidding. I think a lot of it is based on who the contestants are— not whether they can sing or not, but who they are. Ruben and I, our finale— I'm not trying to toot my own horn here— but it was much more suspenseful than either of the other seasons. Season 1, it was very obvious that Kelly was going to win it. Season 3, it was obvious Fantasia was going to take it. Next season, season 4, if they can pull two people in it who are neck and neck at the finale, they'll do just as well.

On whether or not he would do "Idol" again:
Hmmmmm. I'm happy. I do love what I'm doing. I do miss being a teacher. I do miss North Carolina. I do miss having that freedom that comes with being unknown.

I kind of like to think that I'm here for a higher purpose than my own stuff. I talk to people every night who said that this song made a difference to them, or that song did something for them. If I think about it that way, it would be selfish to say I wouldn't do it again.

I have to remember who put me here, and why I'm here, and what I need to do in order to make God happy, and to make the public happy. I have to realize there's probably more good coming out of me signing 10 autographs at dinner than I know
No link - Albequerque Journal - subscription required.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2010, 02:05:33 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
 MEDIA PREVIEWS & REVIEWS
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2004, 04:58:29 AM » 

RELIANT PARK HOUSTON TX PREVIEWS

Clay Aiken's voice bigger than his self-esteem

By JOEY GUERRA

Its OK to be a loser sometimes. Just ask Clay Aiken.

The Raleigh, N.C., native narrowly missed clinching the American Idol 2 title from Ruben Studdard by 130,000 (out of more than 25 million) votes. Since then, Aiken's success has equaled -- or surpassed -- that of Idol alumni Studdard, Kelly Clarkson, Tamyra Gray and poor, poor Justin Guarini.

Aiken's first post-Idol release, This Is the Night/Bridge Over Troubled Water, was the only platinum-certified single of 2003. It spent 11 weeks at No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles Sales chart.

His debut album, Measure of a Man, sold 613,000 right out of the gate, the highest first-week total for a new artist in more than 10 years. (Snoop Dogg matched that figure in 1993). The album has moved more than 2 million copies since its October 2003 release.

On top of that, Aiken was named one of People magazine's sexiest men alive and one of Rolling Stone's People of the Year. He also co-headlined the wildly successful Independent tour with fellow Idol Clarkson earlier this year. Aiken's current solo tour touches down Tuesday at Reliant Arena.

Not bad for a self-professed nerd who doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.

"Lord! I would not get that worked up over me at all. It's all very baffling to me," says Aiken, 25. "I guess that's why it's so hard to wrap my mind around it when people are waiting outside the venue after a concert and cheering. I'm amazed that they're actually doing that because I would never do it. I especially wouldn't do it for some skinny little dork." 

Self-esteem issues notwithstanding, Aiken's appeal lies in his ability to offer a little something for everyone. His clean-cut looks make him an ideal pin-up for excitable teens, while his aw-shucks image and soaring voice endear him to mothers and grandmothers.

"Luck. That's all I can figure," Aiken says about his cross-generational appeal.

But much of it has to do with Aiken's effortless genre-switching on Idol, during which he credibly tackled big-band, country and pop classics. He was one of the few contestants who seemed at ease almost every week.

Measure seems designed to make the most of that audience. Hit singles Invisible, I Will Carry You and The Way are poppy enough to attract the TRL set and appropriately breezy for the older, at-work crowd.

Aiken promises more variety next time around. He plans to release a new album next year.

"This last album I like everything on it, really, but a lot of the songs are kind of sappy, heartbreak songs. I don't need to keep oozing heartbreak," Aiken says. "I think I'd like to find some stuff that's a little more upbeat and up-tempo and also a little more positive."

Also on tap is a Christmas album and Learning to Sing: Hearing the Music in Your Life, a book of inspirational thoughts and musings Aiken says have helped him reach a peaceful place in his life. Publishers were initially interested in an autobiography or a behind-the-scenes Idol story, but Aiken balked. He eventually came up with the inspirational book idea.

Aiken sees the project as an extension of the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, which he founded to help children with developmental disabilities. Aiken has a degree in special education and was a camp counselor/substitute elementary school teacher prior to his musical success.

For now, Claymates (as Aiken's most rabid fans call themselves) will have to make do with seeing their idol up close and personal onstage. Aiken's tour runs through October, and he pads his shows with covers of songs by U2, soft-rock outfit Orleans and Christian-pop phenom Avalon.

You can expect the night to be an all-out squealfest. Has Aiken ever been as star-struck as his fans are about him?

"I guess I got a little star-struck when I met Oprah because she's the media giant. I don't think I could ever get star-struck about anybody else," Aiken says. "I think I was ... You know, I think I ... gosh. I guess that answer is no."

Spoken like a true dork.

HOUSTON CHRONICLE

Next time you're looking to burn a couple of work hours tooling around on the Web, do yourself a favor and double click a few Clay Aiken fan sites. Any one will do -- www.aikenforclay.com, www.forever-clay.tk -- even the tragically misnamed and misleading www.claymatesmansion.com. Each of them offers insight into a world of unabashed dork-worship so utterly devoted it makes a Trekkie convention look as hip as the crowd at a Franz Ferdinand show. On these sites you can browse through the "Dictionary of Claybonics," which -- much like Klingon -- is a made-up language. "Claymaniacs" insert the singer's name into everyday words to alter their meanings. (Example: Anticlaymatic -- When everything seems disappointing in contrast to seeing or hearing Clay.)

Once that gets boring, surf over to www.claytonaiken.com/readingroom and try the Claykespeare's Midsummer Night's Claydream link. There you can peruse Clay-related original poetry, prose, journal entries and artwork by these nuts. Stories run the gamut from the twisted Kidnapping Clay by Clayfan#1 to the well-intentioned but unfortunately titled Number Two by Beth. If you're worried about being caught by office Internet activity tracking, don't be. Females can expect to be pitied by their higher-ups, who will let it slide. Males? Your suspected insanity will render supervisors impotent. If worse comes to worst and someone does push the issue, just tell them you're seeking help for your addiction in Alclayholics Anonymous.

Tuesday, September 7, at Reliant Arena, 8400 Kirby, 713-629-3700.

HOUSTON PRESS

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Solo Tour 2004  |  SOLO TOUR MEDIA - PREVIEWS, REVIEWS & MORE

gfxgfx
gfx