gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229959 Posts in 2575 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay April 25, 2024, 06:12:36 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  AIKEN NEWS NETWORK June 1, 2010
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK June 1, 2010  (Read 2860 times)

clayharmony

• ANN News Team
  • Enthusiastic
  • When You Wish Upon a Star...
AIKEN NEWS NETWORK June 1, 2010
« on: June 01, 2010, 01:19:00 AM »
JUNE 1...DROP DATE FOR TRIED AND TRUE CD!

All the news, and recent reviews have been posted.  So until more pours in...I'll recap:

o  Clay's appearances for the next few days...

ABC - Good Morning America - TODAY - And...it is reported/tweeted that Clay will perform in Times Square - some say at 8:30.

HLN - The Joy Behar Show - TODAY - Look for a channel near your CNN channel - her show repeats in the evening.

ABC - The View - June 2 - Clay is suppose to perform on this show as well.

o  CD is released today, reports are that you can find it a Best Buy, Wal Mart...please post if you find it elsewhere

o iTunes CD download is available now.  It includes the bonus track:  You Don't Have to Say You Love Me

o Just read at Chexxxy's...you can download from Amazon now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NJTSVC/ref=dm_ty_alb?ie=UTF8&qid=1275358860&sr=1-7

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:21:43 AM by clayharmony »
Clay's jois de vivre gladdens my heart;
his spiritual consciousness and musical gifts bring  harmony to my soul.

What is beautiful is a joy for all seasons...

Life is a Song ~ Love is the Music

clayharmony

• ANN News Team
  • Enthusiastic
Re: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK June 1, 2010
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 02:56:29 AM »
Read at the CH:

This just came through from Reuters Canada:

A Minute With: Clay Aiken, from "Idol" and beyond

By Belinda Goldsmith

CANBERRA (Reuters Life!) - Singer Clay Aiken says he's returning to the music he loves with his fifth studio album since emerging seven years ago from the hit TV show "American Idol" which brought him fame but also some personal challenges.

Aiken, 31, was thrust into the spotlight as runner-up in the second series of "Idol" and learned along the way to stand his ground whilst also accepting the glare on his private life.

When his "dear friend" music producer Jaymes Foster gave birth to his son Parker in 2008, Aiken decided to come out as gay, a decision he was not happy to make but is glad it is over.

His fifth album, "Tried and True," released on June 1, contains songs from the 1950s and 1960s such as "Can't Take My Eyes Off You," "Misty," and two songs he sang while on "Idol" in 2003 -- "Mack the Knife" and "Unchained Melody."

This month he also embarks on a co-headlining tour with Ruben Studdard, the winner of "Idol" when Aiken competed, and plans to tour with his new album early next year.

Aiken, one of the top 5 best-selling "Idols," spoke to Reuters about his new album and career:

Q: Why go back to the '50s and '60s?

A: "This is more what I always wanted to do and is far more true to who I am than what I ended up doing after I got off "Idol." You get off the show with a big record contract and the

record company has to figure out what to do with these people they are handed. It is a bit of a challenge to create something out of nothing."

Q: Why these songs on your debut for Decca Records?

A: "These are songs that I grew up listening to in the car with my mum. They are beautiful melodies. They aren't top 40 driven necessarily but they are called standards for a reason - they set the standard for what is great. I don't think there are songs on the radio nowadays that meet that standard. There aren't any new classics. What will we in 30 or 40 years time look back on and see as the classics from today?"

Q: What is the key to building success after "Idol?"

A: "I think everyone would love to have the answer to that! If I knew I would have bottled it. I think diversifying helps a little bit but remaining true to yourself also helps. There have been times in the past seven years when people have tried to get me to dress extra cool for example but you just can't try to be someone you are not. I feel like I am somewhat intelligent when it comes to making decisions about branching into this or that area but a lot of it has to do with luck and having good people work with you."

Q: Do you still watch Idol?

A: "No, I haven't watched it in years. I stopped watching it in the third season because it stressed me out too much. They were getting kicked off the show and my palms would start sweating. I cut the show out of my life to relieve some of the stress and found I was doing fine without it."

Q: You've done about nine tours since 2003 and you were in the Monty Python musical "Spamalot" on Broadway until last year. Would you like to do more on stage?

A: "The stage thing I loved. Movies? No. Part of the reason I have been successful is that I have stayed open to different possibilities and for that reason I would not rule anything out. But I enjoy the live aspect. There is something about talk shows too with the live atmosphere that I enjoy."

Q: You had a son, Parker, two years ago. How is he doing?

A: "He is doing quite well. He is healthy and happy and like any two-year-old. He tires me out."

Q: Are you glad that the focus on your personal life has moved on after you came out publicly?

A: "It was not such a controversy. I think the controversy was more for me. I had been out with everyone I have worked with for years. But there is a fascination with this and you can't live your life without people asking you questions so when my son was born I thought I would just knock all this out at one time. I didn't want to have him deal with anything hidden or lies. I don't know I am happy that I did it. I am happy it is over but I am sad it has to be done. No one has to come out to say they are straight."

Q: How do you cope with the attention that comes with fame?

A: "I stay at home most of the time. I don't go out because I am lazy and boring and would rather stay at home."

clayharmony

• ANN News Team
  • Enthusiastic
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:20:46 AM »

Trying Times: Clay Aiken, 'Tried & True'

In the years since he finished as runner-up on the second season of "American Idol," Clay Aiken has carved out a niche as a singer of singerly songs — an artist more famous for how he sings than what he sings.

His first post-"Idol" album, 2003's "Measure of a Man," topped the charts with its original material written by established industry songwriters. Then came an album of Christmas cover songs, "Merry Christmas With Love," in 2004. Then more covers — 10 out of 14 tracks — emerged on 2006's "A Thousand Different Ways." "On My Way Here" in 2008 featured mostly original tunes, including one partially penned by Aiken.

Aiken's more a singer than a songwriter, which is fine — and which explains why his latest offering, "Tried & True," is another collection of covers, these from the '50s and '60s. If you're going to sing someone else's songs, why not pick the best ones you can get your hands on, right?

At this point in his life and career, though, autobiography might trump acumen. Since his last album was released, Aiken has undergone two major changes in his personal life: he became a father and came out as gay after years of dodging or flat-out refusing to answer questions about his sexuality.

How did those revelations make him feel? How have the changes in his life impacted him? A few original songs, even with songwriters guiding the music and lyrics, might have provided some illumination. Perry Como and Herman's Hermits tunes, not so much.

But back to the album at hand, which is as earnestly and mellifluously sung as any of Aiken's previous work. Which is to say it'll be manna for Aiken fans (the irrepressible Claymates) and kryptonite for his detractors. A departure — aside from a change in record labels — this album is not.

Aiken's at his best when the power in his pipes — which are in fine form throughout the disc, despite occasional lapses into a Cowardly Lion-level vibrato — matches the emotion he coveys as he sings them. On "Tried & True," those elements synch best on four songs.

"Can't Take My Eyes Off of You," which was a '60s hit for Frankie Valli, is a groovy tune for Aiken, too, punctuated by Sinatra-style instrumentation. The acoustic setting of "It's Impossible" gives the song a slightly softer, more modern sound than versions by Perry Como and Elvis Presley. His take on "Moon River," which includes guitar work from Vince Gill, is lush, theatrical and appealing.

Particularly pleasant to the ear is a jazzy re-imagining of "There's a Kind of Hush," in which Aiken seems to burst with a horn-infused joy. Also, his imaginative re-working of Roy Orbison's "Crying" is enhanced by truly lovely guest vocals by Broadway singer Linda Eder. It's a shame that Aiken sounds a little like Carol Burnett as Tarzan near the end of the track.

Indeed, not everything's a day at the bandstand on "Tried & True." The instrumentation — which seems to be far from an afterthought, unlike what you'll find on many singer-focused albums — occasionally sounds so antique that it seems to be swiped from a '30s or '40s Disney flick. Prime offenders here: The lush, loungey "What Kind of Fool Am I?" and "Unchained Melody," which was a crowd-pleaser for Aiken on "Idol," but a song this time around whose instrumentation is so strong that it drowns out his vocal.

The most potent misfires on the album, though, come when Aiken's tone doesn't match the tune. His take on "Mack the Knife" suggests Macheath went on a jolly summer stroll rather than a crime spree. And Elvis' "Suspicious Minds" is utterly devoid of edge in Aiken's hands.

Despite its flaws, "Tried & True" is an album of classic songs sung well. And maybe the insight into Aiken's life some listeners might seek isn't entirely absent: In "What Kind of Fool Am I?" he seems to sing a wink into the line "Why can't I cast away this mask of clay and live my life?"

But maybe that's just a rhetorical question.

clayharmony

• ANN News Team
  • Enthusiastic
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 02:41:35 PM »

Clay Aiken Tried and True: Songs for You.

Clay Aiken’s new CD “Tried and True” is finally released, all of Clay’s fans are sure to be in heaven listening to this great album. All the songs from Tried and True showcase the vocal abilities, and extreme talent this young man has. Tried and True is really Songs for You.

The new CD has some of the classic songs, that Clay had sung on American Idol like Mack the Knife and Unchained Melody, which is guaranteed to please all fans old and new.

Clay-Aikmen-Tried-&-True,-Songs-for-You The best part about Clay Aiken’s new CD Tried and True, it is all classic songs, which we all know, so it gives Clay that ability to really show the world, his God given talent.

Clay does real justice on Can’t Take My Eyes off You, which he gives the song a new feel, to an oldie but goody classic, a real feel good to be in love kind of song.

Crying a Roy Orbison classic, is a great song that Clay and Linda Eder duet together, the two of them have an amazing melody singing together.

On What Kind of Fool Am I, you can hear Clay’s emotions in his voice, which gives the song its extra boast, and makes you feel the raw emotions of the song itself.

The rest of the songs on Tried and True are all great to listen to, and definitely worth buying the album for, nothing that is disappointing at all.

Here are the song titles that are on Tried and True.

1. Can’t Take My Eyes off You
2. What Kind of Fool Am I
3. It’s Only Make Believe
4. Misty
5. Mack the Knife
6. It’s Impossible
7. Unchained Melody
8. Suspicious Minds
9. Crying (Duet with Linda Eder)
10. There’s a Kind of Hush
11. Moon River

Overall a great CD, that will not disappoint anyone. Clay Aiken’s Tried and True is songs for you. We strongly recommend this new CD. It is available in stores now and online. You can purchase the album from Amazon, the link is handy to the left.
andy to the left.

By George Luker © Copyright 2010 Krule Music Group

Carolina Clay

• Admirer
    • Carolina On My Mind
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 05:37:09 PM »
Clay Aiken CD Celebrates THE VOX

The hills -- make that homes, offices, CD players, desktops, laptops, iPods, etc. -- are alive with the sound of Clay Aiken's out-of-this world new CD, Tried & True, only hours into its initial release week.

The new Carolina blog features 23 fan reactions from three boards, Clay's GMA performance/interview, and graphics/clickable wallpapers by Fountaindawg and SueReu.

Hope you enjoy. Have an awesome week, Clay Nation!  :)

Caro

CAROLINA ON MY MIND

WilsonClaymate

• Enthusiastic
  • The way you make me feel
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 10:11:15 PM »
Thanks Johanna and Caro for bringing us the reports on this great CD on what, I hope, will be a day Clay and his fans long remember as being the turning point in his career.
"For me he's not a hobby, he's not an obsession, he's a joy, something that makes me happy..."    ~cc777

corbet

• Claymaniac
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 10:21:07 PM »

Johanna and Caro,

I want to add my thanks to WilsonBarb"s.  I loved reading all the news

about this wonderful album.

Betty

clayharmony

• ANN News Team
  • Enthusiastic
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 12:31:14 AM »
Your welcome Barb and Betty...it sure makes me feel appreciated for gathering news here when you post your thanks...

Clay Aiken CD Review: "Tried and True" and Perfectly Suited

Clay Aiken CD Review: "Tried and True" and Perfectly Suited

I’ve kind of gained a reputation among some of my friends as the go-to-person when it comes to putting together music for certain events. I painstakingly try and match the music perfectly to the occasion and the audience in attendance.

But when the event calls for light and jazzy, I admit I struggle. It’s hard to find the right combination of subtle, yet not depressing or annoying.

Well now I’m happy to report that dilemma has been solved forever. Because the next time someone makes that request for their event, I will simply present them with a copy of Clay Aiken’s latest, “Tried and True.” It really is the perfect mix for that jazzy evening with a good combination of slow and fast songs.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed that Clay decided to do a CD of classics instead of a new pop CD. But when he’s this perfectly suited for these songs, it’s hard to argue. Clearly Clay understands his audience and they’re going to love this one. The CD has a big band sound throughout that suits Clay’s voice perfectly. And that voice is in fine form as Clay tackles “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You,” “What Kind of Fool Am I?” (featuring David Sanborn), “It’s Only Make Believe,” “Misty,” “Mack the Knife,” “It’s Impossible,” “Unchained Melody,” “There’s a Kind of Hush” and “Moon River” (featuring Vince Gill). He also turns the Roy Orbison classic, “Crying,” into a gorgeous duet with Broadway star Linda Eder. Plus he takes on my dad’s favorite Elvis song, “Suspicious Minds.” And in case, you’re wondering, yes, I am already trying to turn it into my dad’s ringtone.

The deluxe edition of the CD includes “Who’s Sorry Now” and “Breaking Up Is Hard to Do” plus a DVD with a live performance of “Build Me Up Buttercup” and other clips from Clay’s PBS special, which is scheduled to premiere later this month.

Now in the interest of full disclosure, I should probably confess that I would listen to Clay sing the phone book. So I’m probably not the most objective person when it comes to reviewing this CD. But I have to believe that even a non-Claymate would find something to like about this one.

“Tried and True” is now available in stores and online…

Clay Day

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »

Clay Aiken’s new CD “Tried and True” is finally released, all of Clay’s fans are sure to be in heaven listening to this great album. All the songs from Tried and True showcase the vocal abilities, and extreme talent this young man has. Tried and True is really Songs for You.

The new CD has some of the classic songs, that Clay had sung on American Idol like Mack the Knife and Unchained Melody, which is guaranteed to please all fans old and new.

Clay-Aikmen-Tried-&-True,-Songs-for-You The best part about Clay Aiken’s new CD Tried and True, it is all classic songs, which we all know, so it gives Clay that ability to really show the world, his God given talent.

Clay does real justice on Can’t Take My Eyes off You, which he gives the song a new feel, to an oldie but goody classic, a real feel good to be in love kind of song.

Crying a Roy Orbison classic, is a great song that Clay and Linda Eder duet together, the two of them have an amazing melody singing together.

On What Kind of Fool Am I, you can hear Clay’s emotions in his voice, which gives the song its extra boast, and makes you feel the raw emotions of the song itself.

The rest of the songs on Tried and True are all great to listen to, and definitely worth buying the album for, nothing that is disappointing at all.

Here are the song titles that are on Tried and True.

1. Can’t Take My Eyes off You
2. What Kind of Fool Am I
3. It’s Only Make Believe
4. Misty
5. Mack the Knife
6. It’s Impossible
7. Unchained Melody
8. Suspicious Minds
9. Crying (Duet with Linda Eder)
10. There’s a Kind of Hush
11. Moon River

Overall a great CD, that will not disappoint anyone. Clay Aiken’s Tried and True is songs for you. We strongly recommend this new CD. It is available in stores now and online. You can purchase the album from Amazon, the link is handy to the left.
andy to the left.

By George Luker © Copyright 2010 Krule Music Group

This is a great review, we should all leave a good comment for Front Stage]

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  AIKEN NEWS NETWORK June 1, 2010

gfxgfx
gfx