gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229519 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 03:32:05 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  12/12/03 RECOGNIZING THE ARTISTS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 12/12/03 RECOGNIZING THE ARTISTS  (Read 7947 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
12/12/03 RECOGNIZING THE ARTISTS
« on: May 22, 2010, 11:20:34 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
RECOGNIZING THE ARTISTS
« on: December 14, 2003, 12:39:44 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recognizing the Artists   
Fri Dec 12, 9:28 PM ET       
By Keith Girard, Billboard Editor-in-Chief

NEW YORK (Billboard) - The millions of people who tuned in to the Billboard Music Awards on Fox this week saw a seamlessly choreographed show highlighting the year's top artists, who sang and danced their way through some fabulous numbers.

But what the public rarely sees is the incredible amount of work that goes on behind the scenes to pull together such a world-class production.
The tabloid press and the entertainment gossip shows on TV often carry reports about the misbehaving antics of rock stars. There's certainly no shortage of boorish behavior, chemical dependency or dysfunction in this business.

What's easily lost on the public -- and rarely reported -- is just how hard artists work and how much time and effort they put into their music. That side of the business was clearly evident behind the scenes at the awards show.

Putting on an event of this scale for live TV involved literally hundreds of people during several weeks. But the pressure was really on in the two days before the show. As the hours wound down to airtime, final touches were still being added to the set, production details were being worked out and the artists were on a strict rehearsal schedule.

While Beyonce ran through her number -- with a supporting cast of 80 dancers -- circular saws roared backstage, and you could hear workmen pounding nails. Even so, she never missed a beat.

Clay Aiken patiently went through his song three times. At the producer's request, he even practiced walking to the podium over and over to get the pacing right.

So it went for Pink, Evanescence, Sting and many other performers. All of them displayed a degree of professionalism that would surprise even the most jaded industry critics. What's really surprising is how easy they made it all look on air. Maybe that's one reason why the public tends to take performers for granted.

A number of critics have questioned why so many awards shows are on TV these days. But we obviously take a different view. It's not the awards that count so much; rather, it's the opportunity to see so many artists showcase their music.

Since the death of the variety show -- a staple of TV in the 1950s and 1960s -- the chance for the public to see popular music performed without paying a hefty price for a concert ticket has become rare.

Humans have a natural proclivity to quantify and rank everything. Lists can be found in the tombs of ancient Egypt. Billboard is the authority on charting the music industry, so it's only natural that we take time out to recognize those who have performed so well during the year. But this show is really dedicated to the artists who took time out of their busy lives to perform for all of us.

YAHOO NEWS LINK

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 12/12/03 RECOGNIZING THE ARTISTS
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 11:21:09 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
RECOGNIZING THE ARTISTS
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 01:18:11 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A couple of comments.  This statement - 'All of them displayed a degree of professionalism that would surprise even the most jaded industry critics' - brings home the fact that the 'attitude' displayed by so many rock stars in public must partially be merely an act.  OK.  I'll have to remember that the next time they misbehave.  :mrgreen:

And, this statement - 'Since the death of the variety show -- a staple of TV in the 1950s and 1960s -- the chance for the public to see popular music performed without paying a hefty price for a concert ticket has become rare' -is really true, isn't it.  I think the last shows in variety format we have seen were actually in the 70s.  We have to stay up late or get up early or lay out of work to see a live musical performance on TV. There used to be entire programs in prime time devoted to music (and comedy.)  Sonny and Cher, Donnie and Marie, Flip Wilson, Captain and Tenille and many others. There was American Bandstand and Soul Train on the weekends (do they still have live acts?).

I love to watch Austin City Limits on PBS, but they usually feature country, bluegrass or indie rock music, (which I love) not rock n roll or pop music.  The awards show is about the only place to see live rock n roll or pop music in prime time.  There is Sessions at West 54th but you must have cable or satellite to see that program.

In fact, the radio and the Internet are about the only places to ever hear genres of music that aren't deemed PBS worthy.  And something just occured to me.  As I write this, I realize that Clay is a pop star that was created on television, not on the radio.  Britney, Justin and Hillary D came from television, but they didn't evolve into pop stars on the tube.  They left and came back as pop stars.

OK. Where's my soapbox.   8) 

We met Clay on television, we watched his evolution from an unknown guy with an amazing voice to a fully fleshed out pop star on television.  There are many already established artists who appear on TV (most recently, Rod Stewart has shown up everywhere), but how many emerging artists have we lately been able to follow on the tube from introduction to winning industry awards?

This may be part of the problem with the radio and music industry embracing him.  In their eyes, perhaps he is more a 'tv personality' than a bonafide recording artist.  How dare Simon Fuller and American Idol think they have the means to create an entity that heretofore had only been created by the star making machinery in the music industry?   How dare America tell the DJs who to play, when the DJs are supposed to be the ones telling Americans who to love?  We have usurped their own raison d'etre, their own identity, no wonder they have problems with us.   :roll:

Clay has mentioned several times about not feeling as if he has 'earned' his success so far.  Clay, you have earned every bit of your success. From forgoing your final semester in school, to sleeping on the street in Atlanta, to enduring Simon C's barbs, to a non stop summer tour schedule, followed only by a roller coaster ride of tv and radio appearances, from losing your privacy and having little free time, to not wanting to disappoint your fans and giving us your all while feeling sick or having an allergic reaction, to having to hear unfunny jokes and remarks about your talent, your looks and your sexuality, to living out of a suitcase and criss crossing the country on planes, to not being able to be with your friends and family as much as you'd like, to having to fight to be rid of the 'AI' stigma, to having to deal with 'overly enthusiastic' fans.

You have earned every bit of your success.   You deserve it, you've worked hard for it, and we promise to continue to work for you and your foundation, to respect you and to support you in any way we can and any way you need us to.

I hope when the official fan club gets up and running, you will be able to communicate with us and guide in what we can do to best support you.

How I got from variety shows to here I do not know.   :

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 11:23:17 PM »
Moonshot
Administrator
 RECOGNIZING THE ARTISTS
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 01:22:19 PM »   

As always you have stated so wonderfully what I have been thinking and feeling but most of the time can't put into words.

I enjoy reading your thoughts and insights on every subject.

Thank you!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 11:23:39 PM »
wisconsinmaniac
RECOGNIZING THE ARTISTS
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 01:27:58 PM »   

Pamela -     Your observations and comments are priceless.   Get on your soapbox whenever you wish.   We are the beneficiaries of your wisdom.   
Thanks for sharing !!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 11:24:24 PM »

Claytime
  RECOGNIZING THE ARTISTS
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 02:00:14 PM »   

*Pamela wrote: 
Clay has mentioned several times about not feeling as if he has 'earned' his success so far. Clay, you have earned every bit of your success. From forgoing your final semester in school, to sleeping on the street in Atlanta, to enduring Simon C's barbs, to a non stop summer tour schedule, followed only by a roller coaster ride of tv and radio appearances, from losing your privacy and having little free time, to not wanting to disappoint your fans and giving us your all while feeling sick or having an allergic reaction, to having to hear unfunny jokes and remarks about your talent, your looks and your sexuality, to living out of a suitcase and criss crossing the country on planes, to not being able to be with your friends and family as much as you'd like, to having to fight to be rid of the 'AI' stigma, to having to deal with 'overly enthusiastic' fans.

You have earned every bit of your success. You deserve it, you've worked hard for it, and we promise to continue to work for you and your foundation, to respect you and to support you in any way we can and any way you need us to.

Clay has definitly "paid" his dues.  His fans know that nothing has ever been handed to him on a "silver platter".  Our love & support for him is all that matters.  8)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 11:24:51 PM »
bisi
 Recognizing the artists
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 07:56:48 PM »   

Again, Pamela, you are incredibly insightful.  If you aren't a professional writer, you should be.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 11:25:13 PM »
mackncsu
 RECOGNIZING THE ARTISTS
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 03:42:19 AM »   

I love when you get on a soapbox Pamela. You are normally describing what i'm thinking!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 11:25:31 PM »
Jeannette
  thanks Pamela!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 04:51:15 AM »   

Amen, Pamela.  Thanks so much for your insights.

I actually agreed with Keith Girard's comments too.  Aside from the vulgarities, etc., I thought the Billboard awards were worth watching and they did a good job of putting on the show.  Since I don't know very much about pop music, I was glad to have a chance to see all of the different artists perform, after only hearing their names in the past.  A lot of what passed for music isn't very good, but I learned a lot from watching it.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 11:25:51 PM »
liney23
  Agree!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 04:29:02 PM »   

Pamela, you are wise, you are wonderful.  Thank you for being that way!  You are a great deal of what makes this site so classy to match OMCs  classiness.

I also enjoyed seeing the different types of music on the BMAs.  Just bleep the blippin' nastiness and the show was good.

What I thought of recently, was "There were only 12 live performances and CLAY was one of them"!!!!!!!  Is that wonderful or what?  The powers that be are noticing his fan reaction and how the numbers go up on any show he is on.  They always put him towards the end, too, so that viewers will stick with the program till the end.  Our guy IS revolutionizing everything he touches, especially us!

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  12/12/03 RECOGNIZING THE ARTISTS

gfxgfx
gfx