gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229510 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 04:56:48 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  12/11/03 IS IT CLAYMATION?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 12/11/03 IS IT CLAYMATION?  (Read 11440 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
12/11/03 IS IT CLAYMATION?
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:17:19 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
 IS IT CLAYMATION?
« on: December 11, 2003, 08:55:51 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it Claymation?'
Idol' runner-up on roll. But at some point, to give us a measure of the man, he needs to put his own stamp on music
By R.D. Heldenfels

Clay Aiken has come a long way since his early days on American Idol. The teacher from Raleigh, N.C., saw his debut single and 'Measure of a Man' album rise to the top of the charts.

American Idol, meet The Idolmaker.

I am talking to you, Clay Aiken. I know you are busy appearing in tons of Christmas specials, promoting your CD (Measure of a Man) and playing concerts like the one you are headlining at Cleveland's Palace Theatre on Tuesday.

You have had a remarkable 2003. Instead of being an unknown teacher in Raleigh, N.C., you are the object of idolatry from the Clay Nation.

Even though you narrowly lost the vote to Ruben Studdard on Idol, the Nation sent your debut single and Measure of a Man to the top of the charts, and the album is now double-platinum. Some people from Akron went all the way to Raleigh just to be on your home turf when Measure came out. The University of North Carolina at Charlotte reportedly had to ration tickets to its graduation because of all the people inviting their friends to see you pick up a degree.

While Justin Guarini -- the runner-up in the first Idol competition -- has been dropped by his record label, your face has been on the cover of Entertainment Weekly and People and almost made the cover of Time. (The CIA leak scandal bumped you at the last minute.)

In his new book, Idol judge Simon Cowell lists two of your TV performances as among the all-time best in the short history of the show. (You also have a slot on his worst-performances list but you can't expect Cowell to be nice all the time.)

Even more importantly, Cowell said you ``changed American Idol forever -- and I'm glad.

``Clay is the American dream,'' he wrote. ``He proved... you don't need to look like a male model to triumph in a contest like ours. Talent, personality and determination will get you through.... (Aiken) is one of the best things to ever happen to American Idol.''

But Cowell isn't the Idolmaker I was talking about. This Idolmaker is a 1980 movie starring Ray Sharkey as a songwriter and promoter named Vinnie Vacarri, who molds unknowns -- played by Paul Land and The O.C.'s Peter Gallagher -- into singing stars.

It's a good movie about the music business, based on the story of the man who discovered Fabian. I suspect the makers of American Idol have seen it more than once. Gallagher, playing a busboy remade as the singer Caesare, does a song called However Dark the Night that looks like a big number on American Idol. The end of the song considerably resembles the Idol image, and the song itself would fit nicely on Measure of a Man.

But once Vinnie makes these guys stars, they break free of their mentor. Pushed too hard, Caesare declares, ``I was the one out on that stage, right?... I did it! From now on, you listen to me.''

It's time for you to have a Caesare moment.

You are a smart man. Cowell sees you as someone who ``knew (most weeks) what the audience wanted and... didn't disappoint.'' And you have a strong sense of yourself and held the line on sex and profanity on Measure of a Man.

"There are certain words and emotions that I don't want kids hearing and I'm not changing because (record-company executives) think it's going to sell better,'' you told Time magazine. "I got 12 million votes doing what I did.''

And, as Time pointed out, you did so by reaching an audience that was outside the music-biz mainstream, that bought songs instead of downloading them, that was content with the idea that you sang beautifully and behaved well.

With some hesitation but considerable accuracy, you talked about "a revolution.''

Well, the Beatles talked about a revolution, too. We all want to change the world, they said.

So how are you going to change the world? Even more fundamentally, who are you?

Entertainment Weekly put you on the cover of an issue about guilty pleasures. Is that enough for you?

You could spend the rest of your days performing. I keep imagining you in a big-budget Broadway musical. You can probably sell lots of CDs, no matter how unmemorable they are.

And this is where we face your problem. Even to some of your fans, Measure of a Man is faceless, unmemorable pop. It could have been recorded with the same power by singers dropped much earlier in the Idol process.

For all the interviews where you have talked about the discomfort of being famous, it's pretty evident that you like fame. And you have used your fame to support causes dear to you.

Noting that fans felt they had to fight for you after the Idol loss, you told Entertainment Weekly that "I would be much happier if these people put their time and energy into the Autism Society.''

It's a good sentiment. But don't you want to be a great singer, too?

Yes, great singers can overcome unremarkable material. Frank Sinatra did, many times. So have Billie Holiday and Aretha Franklin. But their legacy rests on the fact that at times they tackled great songs, difficult songs, songs that would have defeated lesser performers. They did so with voices and styles that made the songs seem like personal messages, not greeting cards.

And please don't bring up Bridge Over Troubled Water. That's a slam dunk for a reasonably talented singer. Cowell told Entertainment Weekly that "if Ruben had had Bridge Over Troubled Water on his record, he'd have had the No. 1.''

Still, Studdard's admirers are just that. They -- and I -- think he's a really good singer. But I wasn't about to order his debut album before I heard it. Your fans approach buying your album as an act of faith.

And I don't use that phrase lightly in the context of someone who takes his faith as seriously as you do. You have your flock. You have your revolutionaries. Where are you going to lead them?

I hope it's to a Caesare moment, and to a great, personal album. Otherwise, at some point your fans may realize their idol isn't just named Clay. He's made of it.

AKRON BEACON JOURNAL

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 12/11/03 IS IT CLAYMATION?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:23:18 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Re: IS IT CLAYMATION?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 09:18:47 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This one is just begging for some discussion don't you think?

Cowell told Entertainment Weekly that "if Ruben had had Bridge Over Troubled Water on his record, he'd have had the No. 1.''

This is so ridiculous I don't even know what to say.  It's true I would have bought the single no matter what was on it because I wanted to support Clay; but I wouldn't have bought Ruben's single just because it was BOTW if I wasn't already a Ruben fan. That's kind of insulting to my intelligence.

Your fans approach buying your album as an act of faith.

Isn't that what 'fans' are supposed to do?  If it was his tenth CD and it didn't appeal to me, maybe I wouldn't have bought it.  But as 'fans,' and since it was the first CD, of course we bought it.  Duh!

And I don't use that phrase lightly in the context of someone who takes his faith as seriously as you do. You have your flock. You have your revolutionaries. Where are you going to lead them?

Again with the insults. I don't expect to be 'led' anywhere, and I am not part of a 'flock'.  Ugh.  All I do expect from Clay is for him to sing well, work hard and stay true to himself.  And be happy.

I also hope for a great, personal album from Clay.  I have no doubt I'll get it at some point.  But good grief, give the guy a break.  He is less than one year out of the AI gate and he is already being expected to 'lead his revolutionaries?'  So much of his energy has had to be spent tilting at windmills.  Sparring with unmoving objects (aka music industry types, other artists, critics) has been consuming way too much of Clay's time, and ours. 

I understand that he must do the insipid radio interview, appear on silly Christmas shows and wield the AI banner.  Being the butt of hateful 'jokes' in the media does keep his name in the spotlight and his fans at the ready to defend him and buy more CDs in support.

I get where the writer is coming from. He is saying that Clay needs his own identity, his own vision. I say that as long as he must reside under 19's mantle, that isn't going to happen. I'm patient though.

As fans, we must continue to vote on TRL, in silly polls and buy all those teen magazines.  The reason is that the end game will be worth it.  By supporting Clay now, he remains successful.  Remaining successful will hopefully give him the clout to continue with his mission to sing the kind of music he wants to sing, to be the kind of artist his heart tells him to be, and to grow his foundation into a world class organization.

Because really, isn't that all that any of us would wish for?  Isn't that what is really important?

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:24:05 PM »
joanhallhovey
  IS IT CLAYMATION?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 10:23:37 AM »   

Very well said, Pam, each of your responses.  To the one below, I'd add that this kind of cruelty can seep into one's soul eventually, and erode confidence.  I pray it will soon stop.  Or Clay's made of even tougher stuff than he's already shown us, which is considerable. Joan

"...being the butt of hateful 'jokes' in the media does keep his name in the spotlight and his fans at the ready to defend him and buy more CDs in support..."

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 09:24:41 PM »
outthereforclay
  counting to 10
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 10:57:12 AM »   

Pamela and Joan, luckily I read this review right before having to take my daughter to school, so I'll have time to cool down and read it again before posting anything about it! :evil:

I really TRY not to give kneejerk reactions...especially to "jerks" who could use a good "knee"....

whoops: sorry  8)

I'll be more grown up about an opinion when I get back from school shuttle duty! :

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 09:25:34 PM »
cjrmax
  IS IT CLAYMATION?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 11:38:41 AM »   

I thought Pamela had some very good points about this article, but over all I think its a good article with some merit.  The main thing I think this writer overlooked was, as Pamela said, Clay is just 6 months out of AI!  He using, and should be, AI as a springboard.  And its a GREAT springboard!  But, before he gets to make his personal album, before he has the clout the do what he wants, he needs to firmly establish himself as a legitimate artist in the music business.  He hasn't had enough time yet to do that.  He is now, and will be for awhile, Clay Aiken, AI runner-up.  Kelly Clarkson is just barely shedding her AI crown and I think part of the reason for that is Clay and Ruben.  There is someone else to call the American Idol, there is someone else from AI who is making noise.  When AI3 is over, assuming someone decent comes out of it, the AI label will become less prominent for Clay - and Ruben too for that matter.

I really like MOAM and I think Clay did take some mediocre songs and make them memorable, but it is NOT the greatest album ever.  But it is a great FIRST effort.  This writer is correct.  He has yet to forge his path.  This article would have had a bit more validity if it were written a year or two from now.  Give him time!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:26:22 PM »
outthereforclay
  this is getting ridiculous, cjrmax!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 12:04:25 PM »   

cjrmax, here we go again! (enter spooky music 'Do-do-do-do-Do-do-do-do')

I thought Pamela had some very good points about this article, but over all I think its a good article with some merit. The main thing I think this writer overlooked was, as Pamela said, Clay is just 6 months out of AI! He using, and should be, AI as a springboard.

EXACTLY!

I really like MOAM and I think Clay did take some mediocre songs and make them memorable, but it is NOT the greatest album ever. But it is a great FIRST effort. This writer is correct. He has yet to forge his path. This article would have had a bit more validity if it were written a year or two from now. Give him time!

PERFECTLY SAID! (since, of course, I am saying the same thing! 8)  : )

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:26:50 PM »
sjmcdona
  IS IT CLAYMATION?
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 01:17:56 PM »   

Like I have said many times (can't resist saying it again), Clay had very little creative control over this album. The writer should recognize the contractual obligations Clay has to AI and RCA... Any issue with the song styles or orchestration should be directed at them, not Clay.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 09:27:11 PM »
allforclay
  Clay being butt of jokes, etc
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 02:27:36 PM »   

You know really the fact that people are using him everywhere to be the butt of jokes etc, it is because of us, his FANS. They are marvelling at the groudswell of support for this incredible young man, his voice and everything he stands for.
And the poor crazy people who are making the jokes, just make us bond together more to support him.  :D  :D  :D
I agree with much of what Pamela has said. I'm not his flock or need to be led anywhere. What's wrong with respecting, appreciating a person with an incredible voice who also has good values? Hello, people!!!!
Clay is an intelligent young man. I'm sure that he realizes some of the jokes lodged at him are because people who don't have the kind of FANbase that Clay has makes them think that they can gain more attention by using him. Attention, just like a child that is bad, is still attention and let's face it anything about Clay get it. They are right about that, however it sure doesn't endear them to us for it.
There are a lot of people out there who just don't get it as to why we love and support Clay so much. They don't understand, because they can't. The inner beauty of the young man is a very drawing power. The balanced blend of humility and self-confidence is a very incredible force to reckon with. Most entertainers don't have that balance. More importantly the fact that God is Love and that Love shows in all that Clay does.
He's quite a young man, I certainly appreciate him and I'm glad we have the opportunity to enjoy him!
Keeping all this in perspective, and I'm sure he's aware of it, the barbs shouldn't hurt so much personally, as they really are just ploys to get attention.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 09:28:25 PM »
GWENN
ARTICLE
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 02:58:15 PM »   

HEY, THIS GUY IS TALKING LIKE CLAY HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS.  HE CANNOT DO WHAT HE WANTS NOW.  YOU ARE RIGHT, HE HAS A CONTRACT AND HE HAS TO HONOR THAT CONTRACT.  HE IS NOT HIS OWN BOSS AND WON'T BE UNTIL THE CONTRACT IS OVER.  HE WOULD BE REALLY STUPID TO ANNOY CLIVE DAVIS AND COMPANY.  NOT YET, NOT NOW.  CLAY IS A SMART MAN.  HE WILL DO WHAT IS BEST WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT AND NOW IS NOT THE TIME.  HE IS NEW.  WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED IN MAY THAT CLAY WOULD BE WHERE HE IS NOW?  WHEN HE SIGNED THAT CONTRACT, THERE WAS NO WAY HE COULD HAVE PREDICTED ALL OF THIS.  I THINK MOAM IS REALLY A WONDERFUL ALBUM FOR A FIRST ONE.  I HAVE HEARD FIRST ALBUMS THAT HAD 2 OR 3 DECENT SONGS AND THE REST WERE HORRIBLE.  I DON'T THINK ANYTHING IS HORRIBLE ON MOAM--AND NOT JUST BECAUSE CLAY IS SINGING.THIS GUYS NEEDDS TO GIVE IT A BREAK.  ASK FOR THE MOON IN 6 MONTHS?  I DON'T THINK SO.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 09:29:18 PM »
clay4me03
  Is It Claymation??
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 03:11:30 PM »   

So what the heck is that?  I think that was horrible!  I am REALLY getting tired of people (jealous people at that) always on Clay's case!  Why can't they get a life and be happy for him.  Clay has never dissed anyone.....so what, because he is a Christian there must be something wrong with him.  Maybe they are just so surprised that there are a lot more Christians out there than they realized.  I watched the Billboards Awards...only for Clay's performance.  I wish I had been there.....who the hell it Triumph the Insult Dog???  Like that person is damn talented!  Clay had a rough night...I could tell it on his poor face.  He was the greatest performance on there really.  Who in their right mind would rather watch Pink's X-rated performance to Clay's?? Not I....and  thank you for the censoring....I do had children up at 8p!  Clay was great even just getting over the flu.  I love you Clay and am so sorry for all the crap you have to take.  I wish there was something I could do.  It is so obvious the industry in jealous of Clay's real talent and the other singers out there could learn ALOT from Clay.....The industry doesn't know what people want.....it is so obvious!  I support Clay 100% and everything he is doing!  If he is ever in the St. Louis MO area....he is more than welcome at my house!  I have 5 children so 1 more person for dinner would be just fine! 

Everyone out there who trashes Clay, what goes around, comes around!  You had better be careful!

Sorry....had to get that off my chest.....

Have a Clay Day!   :D

Jacki S.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 09:30:32 PM »
jasper
  IS IT CLAYMATION?
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2003, 04:12:23 PM »   

Well said Pam.  For a critic to write this kind of material for a singer who has been in the business for a few months is absurd!  Some points well made in the context about being his own star and Clay shinning above the pop artists with his lyrics and songs, but trying to compare Clay to musicians who have been/were in the business for years astonishes me. 
  You know what though, I don't hesitate to smile a little though when someone writes a storyline such as this, putting their thoughts into a story about ridiculing Clay and saying he needs to lead the way/be more as a singer/provide more "known" music, but then wait.......they still are comparing him to some of the best/memorable singers ever.  That kind of criticism makes me laugh.  Lets try and "rip" on Clay but then still compare him to some of the greatest singers ever. LOL!
   Now, for the leading the way with his fans.  I thought Clay was leading the way and being memorable.  Wow, I guess providing 2 platinum albums and bringing a whole "new" life to the pop/adult contemp. music industry would be considered more memorable than lets say a "hit" by Junstin Timberlake.  I am just wondering where this critic has been for the past few months.....under a rock?  In a matter of a few months you haven't seen this much action, publicity, cover pages, stories, and sales out of a solo singer for years!
    Kind of hard to sit and listen to all this "jiborish" from critics when all I see is one man taking over the music industry day by day.  So what will happen when Clay comes out with that "smash hit" album?  We all know that soon enough we will see it, so will that change so many critics minds or will we still be sitting here talking about the same storyline that this writer is talking about?  I believe that MOM wasn't the Beatles "Please Please Me", but I mean come on how much does one solo singer have to do to get some respect?  Clay is in the begining stages of stardom, we just need to give him some time to adjust to all the commotion.  I am not to sure how long it would take me to adjust to the past few months that Clay has had.  Let him settle down a little and I truly believe he will stand alone, if you consider that he isn't doing that already!

Just some thoughts, but well put everyone  -Jasper

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »
jj
  IS IT CLAYMATION?
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2003, 07:58:43 PM »   

I have just read the article and everyone's responses to the article. I just don't understand why Clay is the object of so much controversy. Yes, he has a large fan base- isn't that a good thing? Yes, he is a Christian and does not hide the fact- Does that make him have a bad voice? Yes, he respects his mom and even takes her to the Billboard Awards Show- As a mom that makes me proud!He came to fame on AI, so what!!!! He is a talented young man with values and he can sing the socks off of the majority of what I hear on the radio. He is under contract and he will be around for awhile because of us, in spite of them.   I too am a 50 something Grandma who loves Clay! Give him time !!!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 09:31:24 PM »
reeree
  a true fan
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2003, 06:07:46 AM »   

clay has done  a wonderful job showing the world how the music you chose to listen too, really reflects your character, and as far as i'm concerned he's got more character in his big toe, than some of those performers on billboard awards..... don't you agree?  ree ree

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 09:31:54 PM »
ANGELA
 JEALOUS OF CLAY'S ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND HIS FAITHFUL FANS
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2003, 05:46:02 PM »   

Well I really do get upset when I read negative press on CLAY. Why can't people just be nice and realize everyone is different.   It almost seems to me, that some people are VERY jealous of CLAY'S amazing accomplishments in such a short period of time.  So there defense is to   be hurtful with words against CLAY. 
SO I SAY REMEMBER, THERE IS ALWAYS STRENGTH IN NUMBERS---SO CLAY'S FANS SHOULD ALWAYS STICK TOGETHER (WITHOUT BASHING RUBEN -OF COURSE) AND KEEP HIS MUSIC STRONG.  BECAUSE IF WE DON'T DO THAT,  WHAT MUSIC WILL WE HAVE TO LISTEN TO.
CLAY IS A GOOD PERSON AS WELL AS AN AMAZING SINGER.    I LOVE HIS VALUES AND MORALS .  IN A WORLD WHERE WE HAVE BECOME MORALLY BANKRUPT--CLAY GIVES US HOPE THAT MAYBE THE WORLD ISN'T ALL THAT BAD.
I  PRAY TO GOD THAT CLAY ALWAYS  REMAINS A GOOD ROLE MODEL AND IS ALWAYS HAPPY IN WHAT EVER DIRECTION HE TAKES IN HIS LIFE (I HOPE  MUSIC IS WHAT MAKES HIM HAPPY BUT IF IT IS TEACHING THEN THAT IS FINE TOO) .

THANKS FOR READING THIS
ANGELA

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 09:32:39 PM »
caclayfan
  Is it Claymation?
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2003, 09:02:53 PM »   

When someone is in the public eye, you are going to have all kind of reactions, good and bad press.

However, when the dust settles, Clay has a strong sense of himself and the kind of music he want to produce.  There are people who appreciates his talent and stance on not bringing negative music into the home and other places and will support him.

And, he can sing!

The rewards are coming in. 

I will continue to support him and buy his CDs.  And, I haven't brought a CD in years. 

I think things are going to work out for Clay!

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  12/11/03 IS IT CLAYMATION?

gfxgfx
gfx