gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229519 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 02:04:15 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  12/10/03 OFFICIAL BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS THREAD
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 12/10/03 OFFICIAL BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS THREAD  (Read 8509 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
12/10/03 OFFICIAL BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS THREAD
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:47:26 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
OFFICIAL BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS THREAD
« on: December 10, 2003, 07:47:49 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please put all posts about the BMAs here.

It'll make it much easier for us to 'share the experience...' 

ThanX!

...and GOOD LUCK CLAY!

perfectmatch
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 07:50:22 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes good luck! I'll know in 3 hours cause im in Cali  :(  :P  Oh well Im looking forward to talkin neways!

crazy4clay03
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 08:11:13 PM »   

How awesome he got to do the intro in his glasses!  OMC looks like such a doll there with his mom!!!!!!!!!  Cross your fingers everyone!

mackncsu
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 08:13:38 PM »   

I love his mom! So far this show rules, he got to help open it and his mommy is there!!! YEAH! Let's hope he wins!
(Sorry about the post that's not in this thread...I did it at the same time Pamela made this...just ignore it :)

crazy4clay03
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 08:44:01 PM »   

CLAY IS SO CLASSY--I LOVE HOW HE DEALS WITH TRIUMPH!!!  That is why we love him so much!!!!!!!!!!!

mackncsu
Enthusiastic
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 08:46:33 PM »   

Geeze...The show was great and then Triumph and that dude came on. Triumph didn't actually say anything bad about Clay..that other dude did. Triumph said something about "Clay has to put up with too much stuff." or something. I'm sure that was because of all the past...well y'all know. Oh well, Clay took all the crap and still looked great. As usual, he didn't get upset..just sat there. I think i'd be embarrassed to hear that stuff (all those insults..not just the ones towards him) with my mom sitting right beside me though..Oh well, I LOVE CLAY! And he's rocking tonight so far!

mackncsu
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 08:51:15 PM »   

Ok, i'm kinda talking to myself here but, i'm sure y'all will read this later. Did you guys see the American Idol commercial that was solely based on Clay...saying something like you could be the next American Idol...like Clay, only Clay didn't win. I thought it was interesting that they used Clay for it instead of Ruben. Probably because Ruben just released his album and AI didn't have the sales stuff like they did on Clays...I dunno...just thought it was interesting!

Sundancer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 09:04:36 PM »   

Clay will get the award he's up for. The #1's know they will win, and the numbers for TITN/BOTW were the best of any single this year. (And the last 10 years, if I remember correctly.)

Between Triumph's crudeness and Pink's performance, this show is, um, interesting. Pink actually has a fantastic voice. It's a shame she chose to "trash up" her performance with the vulgarity between her and her dancers so the director had to cut away to a full-screen slide (that sign that said "Billboard Music Awards") twice.

I hope Clay comes on soon.

cjrmax
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 09:07:47 PM »   

I thought the AI commercial that was all about Clay was funny too!  I mean, we all know he didn't win - but the commercial never mentioned it!  I thought it was a great tribute to Clay.

As for the Triumph routine - they ragged on everbody.  Clay is a big boy and he had to know when he heard Triumph would be there (which he must have known ahead of time) that it would not be the funniest routine of the evening AND that he would get mention.  I am sure he can handle it.  They showed Kelly Clarkson a few times during that bit and she didn't look like she thought any of it was funny!  I don't see why anyone thinks that puppet is funny, but obviously he's VERY popular.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad Clay doesn't have to follow Sting.  Sting is AMAZING!!!!  Please don't attack me, but if Clay came on to sing "Invisible" after that performance, he would look like an amateur!  Then again, so would a lot of people!  I have always liked Sting but I think seeing him perform is something a lot of aspiring artists ought to learn from.  He is just amazing!!!!!

joanhhovey
  I came close to weeping
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 09:09:00 PM »   

The tears were very close as I sat and watched what that beautiful and gifted young man, Clay Aiken, has to endure. And from such lowlife. 
Clay looked wonderful, and his face gave nothing away - he is filled with grace.
Joan
www.joanhallhovey.com

caramel131
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 09:11:39 PM »   

Oh my God!  I know Clay is regreting bringing him mother to this award show.  I know she wishes she could leave.  I cannot believe they gave that Triumph the Dog the much time.  The audience was not very receptive to what was beiing said.  And, all the profanity.  I'm embarrased for his mother.  I feel for her that she and Clay has to sit through this mess.  And what was up with Pink and that song.  If you noticed, a couple times they blink out her performance because she was doing something sexually outrageous.  I know on the second blink when the came back to her performing, the guy was removing his face from out of her crotch.  Is this what the award shows have been reduced to?

I just hope Clay comes on soon to perform and win his award.  I don't know how much more I can take.

Also, if you noticed, they do not show the winner's across the screen.  They're doing a countdown of the nominees of how the placed (4, 3, 2, then the winner).

Okay, now Nichole Richie is cursing.  Poor Faye.

caramel131
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 09:14:29 PM »   

Me again, sorry for the misspellings, trying to write and watch at the same time.

songbird457
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 09:22:44 PM »   

Clay does look amazing - as always. And I do feel for his mom, sitting there with him. He took the time w/ Triumph like a man - and that dog was ripping on everyone, with the help of the performer with him. It would be so nice if all genres of music would support their fellow musicians, but where would all the gossip be I suppose.

I still feel like I am part of the younger generation (being 26 years old) but as I keep watching these music awards, I am so embarrassed and disgusted with the industry that this generation is producing. I salute Clay and all his endeavors and I hope he "triumphs" for years to come. From Pink to beyonce to Paris Hilton and the RIchie girl, I just keep getting disappointed. We either have singers with extraordinary talent that are fusing it with this whole sex image and vulgarity - or - there are ordinary singers with mediocre talent that are getting hyped because they are drop dead gorgeous or something. I hope I don't sound too negative.

I guess my point is that Clay has been the best thing to hit pop music in a long time. I am very proud of him and all he has done so far. I hope he fares well tonight. *fingers crossed*

cjrmax
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 09:23:30 PM »   

Ok, at risk of being attacked - Faye Parker, like Clay, is an adult.  I am sure she has seen all this before.  I am sure she has heard worse.  She's not a naive woman who lives in a bubble.  And Clay doesn't either.  I am sure she watched the AMAs.  She knows what happens at this kind of show.  If she didn't feel she could handle it she would not have come.  And Clay has been around enough by now to know what would happen when Triumph came on and during some of the performances. If he didn't think his mother would feel comfortable there I am sure he wouldn't have brought her.

Just because they don't think or act that way doesn't mean they can't handle those who do.  I suspect they are very tolerant people.  They may be shaking their heads and saying "Is this the best the music industry has to offer" or "I don't think this is appropriate for young people", but they know its not up to them to censor the music industry.  They make their statement with their actions.  Clay makes his statement loud and clear every time he makes an appearance or gives an interview or performs.  He has his voice and I bet he believes others should have theirs, even if he doesn't necessarily like how they use it.

Ok, off my soap box now!

joanhhovey
  I'm with you
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 09:25:26 PM »   

I'm with you.  Clay's the only reason I'm suffering the rest of it. Joan
www.joanhallhovey.com

mackncsu
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2003, 09:31:25 PM »   

Oh yeah, I agree CJ, I was just saying that I feel sorry that they, or anyone for that matter, have to sit there and endure it. I'm sure everyone there has heard worse. It just sucks that these behaviors are what make some of these people acceptable and popular. Ya know?

cjrmax
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2003, 09:33:40 PM »   

OMG!! My night is made!! I love The OC!!  I especially love Adam Brody!!!

Is is ok to gush over someone else here?

crazy4clay03
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2003, 09:37:02 PM »   

Are they saving the best for last?  I can't wait--Bring Clay out!!!  I'm a bundle of nerves :!:

caramel131
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2003, 09:37:33 PM »   

I beg to differ.  I am at home and can barely handle it, and I'm pretty thick skinned.  I truly believe if they were there as spectators, they would have left by now.  The AMA was pretty tamed compared to this vulgar show.   I have not heard so much vulgarity on an award show in my 46 years of life.

joanhhovey
  I'm with you!
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2003, 09:42:42 PM »   

You're absolutely right, Caramel.   I'd also like to add, in response to someone earlier post, that Clay could never look like an amateur.  Joan
www.joanhallhovey.com

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 12/10/03 OFFICIAL BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS THREAD
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:57:30 PM »
crazy4clay03
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2003, 09:49:50 PM »   

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

mackncsu
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2003, 09:53:05 PM »   

Man that was grrrrrrrrrrrrreat! Clay did so well, kept the acceptance speech short and sweet. Ahhh.......he's wonderful! And no, he could never look like an amateur to me either!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2003, 09:56:20 PM »   

Because it cannot be said enough...

CONGRATULATIONS CLAY!

cjrmax
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2003, 09:57:45 PM »   

I thought Kathy Griffen was hysterical.  I vote she be made an honorary Claygirl and member of the Black Leather Pants Thread!

Clay did great (now there's a surprise!), although I think it was obvious he didn't have his best voice or usual energy - or maybe I'm just reading that into it since I knew he has been sick!

One question - what were those patches or medallions on his jacket??

mackncsu
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2003, 10:00:02 PM »   

I was wondering about the stuff on his jacket too!

Sundancer
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2003, 10:01:39 PM »   

Like a rose rising from a trash heap.... He was a well-needed touch of class in that show.

I'm glad he has another award to put on his mantel, with the AMA. (And under the Double Platinum that's hanging on the wall.)   :D

mackncsu
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2003, 10:02:48 PM »   

Haha good analogy Sundancer!

songbird457
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2003, 10:04:30 PM »   

yes he did sound a little sick, but still it was amazing. Like he'd ever let us down.  :D And we all needed a boost from what preceeded his performance. I am so happy for him. Congratulations Clay!!! :D

outthereforclay
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2003, 10:06:44 PM »   

Hey guys, I'm on the West Coast so haven't seen the show yet (but I like to come on this board to get a special preview : ) but even without seeing these "patches or medallions" you speak of, I have an idea of what they COULD be....

the "Purple Heart" , the "Silver Cross" and the "Medal of Valor"

for all the (**^%%&$  he's endured from the music industry, critics and others who don't know "what to do with him"..

with grace, maturity, humor, humility, self assuredness, steadfastness, loyalty to his fans and to himself...

and determination to continue on the road to success without compromising....

I have no doubt that both he and his fans will make sure he enjoys his journey!

YEAY, CLAY!

cjrmax
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2003, 10:08:20 PM »   

WELL SAID, OUTTHERE!! 

Anonymous
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2003, 10:13:24 PM »   

What a great night for Clay!!!!!! It was clear that he was one of the biggest stars of the night, between the shows opening, all the times they showed him in the audience, and Kathy Griffins great jokes (I hope Clay wasn't offended, as I thought it was highly complimentary!). Though I have heard him sing a little better, he was still amazing, and soo adorable!!! I think his Mom was very proud, and I am sure was prepared for the stupid comments by the dog and his sidekick. Way to go Clay!

mackncsu
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2003, 10:14:29 PM »   

haha yeah outthere! That's probably what it was! :

Sundancer
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2003, 10:16:24 PM »   

Really, what was the deal with Kathy's jokes, intro-ing Clay? It was like she was on a one-woman crusade to convince everyone that those "Clay is gay" jokes weren't true.

cjrmax
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2003, 10:17:19 PM »   

Three more things:  Does anyone else think the audience response was over all much more subdued for him than most of the other performers?

And, I want Clay to get rid of the microphone stand when he performs!  I think it every time I see him perform with the mike on the stand! It would free him to move more if he didn't have it!  And I do love his moves!  :D

Lastly, as much as I like "Invisible", I think I will be glad when he starts singing other songs!

mackncsu
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2003, 10:19:17 PM »   

Yeah I know, it was funny though. He seemed to think it was funny when he went over to talk to her as he was getting his award.

caramel131
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2003, 10:20:29 PM »   

Couldn't have said it better, Outthere. 

I believe he is either still suffering or battling back from his bout with the Flu or Broncitis.  Both of them will knock you off your feet.  But yet, he has continued on.  Such determination.  Clay could have cancelled, but I don't think he wants to let his fans down.  Such a gracious and wonderful young man.  I wish we could bottle him and sell him.  I know I would like my daugthers to meet a young man such as Clay.

Sundancer
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2003, 10:22:50 PM »   

He seemed to think it was funny when he went over to talk to her as he was getting his award.

Yeah, it sounded like he said, "You were pretty good, too," or something to that effect.  :)

outthereforclay
  I'll have a lot of those!
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2003, 10:22:57 PM »   

Caramel, I'll take a case of those bottles, please! 8)

no, wait! Who am I kidding? Go ahead and ship quadrazillion platinum on that merchandise! :

joanhhovey
  Kathy Griffin
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2003, 10:23:25 PM »   

I agree with you about Kathy Griffin's comments.  I think she meant well, but it was crude, obvious and unnecessary.  And I don't think she did Clay any favors.  Also, I did notice that, although Clay was wonderful, he wasn't all he's capable of being; how could he be?  I had the feeling he just wanted to get it done and get the hell out of there.
www.joanhallhovey.com

Angelis
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2003, 10:23:53 PM »   

I think it was very interesting that they asked Clay to perform (yay!)and not Outkast since Outkast's song and album has been touted throughout the industry as one of the best albums of the year and they got nominated for all those grammy's -( however, "NC" or no class as my mom would say, plugging their album when accepting their award).

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 12:06:05 AM »
Moonshot
Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2003, 10:25:29 PM »   

Where did the red hair go? And the glasses? He doesn't need to change for these people. I suppose I'm in the minority that liked the red and the classy glasses. At least he wore them in the beginning.  Clay's name was being thrown around ALL evening, there can't be one person out there that does NOT know who he is.

They could have closed the show on time by excluding about 20 minutes of crud. Mean and disgusting is not funny, I don't see how people find it so. The language used was unnecessary and unattractive. Oh, and Nick and Jessica could have stayed home and I wouldn't have missed them. What does their sex life have to do with Music Awards?

Ditto to everything outthere said.

The MAN with the intense green eyes did it again, a stellar performance even under not so stellar circumstances. You could tell a couple of times that he just isn't over the bug but he was still ON. Gave his all and his best for his fans. LOVE the eyeflutter and downward glance he does everytime at the end of the song. It really gets me. He is just a breath of fresh air in a stinky business. He shines in all he does.

I squealed like a teen when they announced he won, even though we were already expecting it. I think I even accidently smacked my mom when I threw my hands up in celebration. Finally, great recognition for his achievement. A Billboard award means alot.

I'm just beaming. He looked great, he sounded great, and proved he's a classy GENTLEMAN. His actions and words (and in some cases lack there of) make him stand head and shoulders above everyone else. They really don't know what to make of someone such as him, it has been so long since class and grace were in the music world.

And again, because it was stated so well:

Ditto to everything outthere said.

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2003, 10:26:38 PM »   

Here is Sting's acceptance speech for the Century awards.  It is surely a testament to the truth that is the beauty of music. 

Music is it's own reward.

When I got the phone call telling me I was going to win the Century Award, I thought it a little presumptuous as it's only 2003. But, I'm thrilled anyway, and I only hope I can live up to the acclaim. I'd like obviously to thank everyone at Billboard for this great honor, and also want to recognize and pay tribute to my good friend and mentor, the former editor and co-founder of this award, the late Tim White. Now, if I've learned anything at all in the quarter-century I've spent with the music business, it's this -

You can sing for millions of people in your career, or maybe just one. You can sell millions of records, or none at all. You can win Grammy awards, or Century awards, or never win a damn thing. It doesn't really matter. If you play music with passion, and love, and honesty, then it will nourish your soul, heal your wounds, make your life worth living whether you're successful or not at all. So here's what I've learned in five short words.

Music is its own reward.

Thank you, good night, I love you 

mackncsu
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2003, 10:29:14 PM »   

Thanks for posting Sting's comments Pamela. I thought he did a great job with his speech.

GWENN
BILLBOARDS
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2003, 10:29:53 PM »   

I THINK HE WAS NOT WELL AT ALL.  HE HAD HIS GLASSES ON AT FIRST AND THEN OFF WHEN HE SANG.  I HAVE A FEELING THAT HE CANNOT SEE WELL AT ALL WITHOUT GLASSES OR CONTACTS SO HE WAS A LITTLE UNCOMFORTABLE.  OF COURSE, HE WAS CLAY AND THAT MEANS THE BEST.  I DO WISH HE WOULD SING SOMETHING ELSE.  I AM KIND OF SICK OF INVISIBLE. BUT, THE BOTTOM LINE IS.........HE WON!!!!!!!!!!!  THE REST OF THE SHOW WAS DOWNRIGHT SICKENING.  THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO SAY IT.  I WOULD HAVE TURNED IT OFF LONG BEFORE THE END IF IT WEREN'T FOR CLAY.  CONGRATS TO OMC!!!!!!!!!!

Sundancer
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2003, 10:31:38 PM »   

Sting: another rose. Thanks for the transcription.

Sundancer
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2003, 10:33:05 PM »   

I had the feeling he just wanted to get it done and get the hell out of there.

Joan, that's the same thing I was thinking as I watched him perform.

claylady
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2003, 10:35:45 PM »   

I'm stating my opinion so don't get mad at me.  I thought the show was complete thrash.  To me it was pure torture.  If it wasn't for Clay I would never have watched any of that garbage.  Just a few comments regarding the show.  I like Pink's voice but was grossed out by her performance.  You can imagine what was going on when they censored her twice.  Not for me.  Then there was that disgusting Triumph.  Someone should put that ignorant thing out of its misery.  It's not funny.  When they would show the audience, half of them weren't laughing and neither was I.  It just made me sick.  OBC is just so much above it all.  Only three performances I really enjoyed.   Shania Twain is always good.  It was really cute with the kids on stage.  Sting is a class act.  I liked his song and especially his acceptance speech.  Five words to remember
"Music is it's own reward" 
Now on to Clay.  In my opinion cute as always but not his best performance.  He seemed to be still under the weather.  Poor baby.  The sparkle just wasn't there like usual.  Poor thing had to sit there and suffer through that.  I am so proud of him.  Two major awards in so short a time.
Many more to come. 
In closing,  I thought it was one of the most disgusting vulgar awards shows I have ever seen.  The AMA's were at least bearable for me but this one was agony.  Thank God that's the last award show I'll have to sit through this year.

Sundancer
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2003, 10:39:03 PM » 

it was one of the most disgusting vulgar awards shows I have ever seen.

I don't think a lot of people on this thread will argue with you, claylady. Gosh, the things we do for our Clay! 'Good thing he appreciates his fans. :  

mackncsu
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2003, 10:39:59 PM »   

I second that!

clayaikenwow
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2003, 10:42:36 PM »   

First of all the only good thing about that show was clays intro his performance and him winning and accepting. It was so vulgure and uncalled for the whole show was awful.i mean they neede to have clay on there so people would watch it.
Next everything said about him was so uncalled for and rude, clay was not amused at the remarks made i mean i can understand some little jokes but they went way over the top.I know that clay dosnt pay attention to theses things but i really think him and his mom were wanting to get out of there.i think that it was so low especially when kathy introed his performance that was so awful she said everything that he is against i mean its not even sensible i dont think clay was very pleased, actually i know he wasnt along with all his other fans..I think it just goes to prove once more how sick this world is and again how beautiful our clay is i mean he never gets upset , and hes so christian in everything he does it really shines through all the time. I felt bad for him and his mom just because they had to sit there and experience that show.Did people actually think that it was funny because it was so rude seriously we all know whow clay is and we know that he didnt like what he saw or heard tonight.He is so cute though and those glasses i love him !!!You could tell he was stull sick when he was giving his speech but not when he was singing!!!!!!!!It seemed like he was in a very big hurry to get out of there. He puts up with so much but as usual turns the other cheek because he is the best and so special. we all love you clay congrat on your award you deserve it more than anyone else.I cant say how disappointed i am in the awards it was a waste of tv , besides for clay!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clay is the best hes probably sleepign now the poor thing at least he has his mother there with him!It was nice that he brought his mom, and the first thing i saw was his WWJD bracelet!!!!!!i think he truely felt out of place, but he looks past all of it and folows God and dosnt worry what others think, he was happy to perform but im glad its over for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it was making me sick to have ot watch him go through that show.people may think im over reacting alittle but you must relize that im not. i love clay he is the best in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sundancer
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2003, 10:42:41 PM »   

mack, one of these days, you and I are gonna meet. (Maybe when Clay comes back to the RBC Center...)  :D

outthereforclay
  set that timer, West Coasters!
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2003, 10:42:51 PM »   

ah! the beauty of videotaping!  :)

I shall set the VCR...then put on the AI season 1 DVD I got yesterday and watch it with my two girls! Then when everyone's asleep, I'll just fast forward through the trash, stopping only when I see my man Clay.... :oops:

Life is good, friends! :

FAITH
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2003, 10:44:46 PM »   

Claylady, you said it all for me!!!! I agree 100% with everything that you mentioned.

joanhhovey
  Right on!
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2003, 10:46:15 PM »   

You're not overreacting, Newbie.  You're right on.  Joan
www.joanhallhovey.com

mackncsu
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2003, 10:48:02 PM »   

Heck yeah we are sundancer! You going to the RBC Center for the Canes Game??

thanku_clay
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2003, 10:49:21 PM »   

I think that Sting gave a great performance...as always. And it was really nice to see Stevie Wonder presenting!!!

I might add that most of the show was barely tolerable. The Sexual performance by Pink ( who can sing!) and Triumph...Paris Hilton and the gal that had the poor taste in using the "F" word on national TV. And the distasteful remarks made by.the gal before he sang ( supposed to be funny,I guess).

However, Clay's performance was great!!! And I am happy for him!!! He definitly earned this Award!!! He has two awards under his belt...and in a very short period of time! He probably broke another record of some kind..  :  !

Love Clay........and I am proud!!!!

caramel131
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2003, 10:49:54 PM »   

I did notice that when he was performing, his left eye seemed to be bothering him.  Seems as if he was having trouble keeping it open.  Poor thing.  I wish the audience would have known that he was feeling very well and was not at his best singing.  However, he did a good job.  I know if I was sick, I would have said the @@%%%% with it, and stayed at home.  He is committed to his fans 150%.

PHILLYLUVSCLAY
  HOORAY FOR CLAY!
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2003, 10:50:53 PM »   

CONGRATS TO CLAY FOR WINNING BEST SONG OF THE YEAR!!  :P  :P  :P

HE WAS GREAT TONIGHT!  YOU COULD FEEL HIS WARM CHARISMA COMING RIGHT THROUGH THE TV SET!!  I LOVE BOTH OF HIS OUTFITS !! HE SIZZLES!! :  :  :

Sundancer
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2003, 10:51:04 PM »   

Mack,

'Thought about it, but I decided to save up for tickets for when he does his solo tour--you know, "some time early next year," as we keep hearing.  :

Are you going to the game?

mackncsu
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2003, 10:58:00 PM »   

Sund,
i'll be at the game...and at as many of his tour events as possible...I can't wait to see him again..

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:20:13 AM »
Sundancer
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2003, 10:59:15 PM »   

Mack,

That is so cool. You'll have to tell us everything!  :D

mackncsu
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2003, 11:01:12 PM »   

Oh believe me I will! Pamela is going too. It should be great and the TV stations here are advertising it like crazy.  :

Sundancer
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2003, 11:02:16 PM »   

Will you be sitting in one of the sections he'll be "visiting"? Or near one?

janegirl
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2003, 11:04:37 PM »   

I'm new to the discussion board but I just had to jump in and say that I agree with Claylady and most of the rest of you about how horrible this show was!  I taped it and so only heard and saw the intro to Clay and my jaw dropped to the floor.  My husband and I were in shock of the crudeness of all she said.  That was supposed to be funny? (And you all are saying that the rest of the show was even worse!!  I can't imagine!!) 

I seriously doubt that Clay and his mom are prepared for or 'used to' this kind of so-called entertainment--all the vulgar dancing and talk.  I know my husband and I certainly aren't!!  Since becoming a Clay fan we have learned what a sad state of affairs our pop culture is in---and what the kids are subjected to!  I really had no idea!  Thank God for Clay's much needed influence.  He really is a class act all the way and I pray that he will get through his career without being hurt along the way. 

As much as I love him and enjoy his singing & endearing/inspiring personality, and as much as our society obviously needs his influence, after I heard that woman's horrendously crude remarks I said to my husband, "Poor Clay.  Maybe it would have been best if he had stuck to the original plan for his life--to be a special ed. teacher in his own hometown, surrounded by good friends and family, attending a good church, and marrying a nice, sweet girl."   Sigh.   Oh well.  Somebody has to be a 'light in their darkness'---and it appears that Clay has been given that opportunity.  I'm sure that like everything in life, there will be the  pros and cons, good days and bad---and for Clay, the good 'gigs' and bad 'gigs'.  Tonight was a bad one...   But I am so glad he did win a much deserved award.

janegirl

mackncsu
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2003, 11:05:42 PM »   

I don't know where he'll be, I'm not in one of his specific sections but, hopefully i'll be close to one. If not, i'll find a way to be close to one! My friend and I started out in the back of the Charlotte Colesieum at the AI concert, won better tickets, then met some people in like the 3 row who let us come sit with them. That was truly a night to remember and I'm sure the hockey game will be too. CONGRATS TO CLAY FOR TONIGHT! I think that thanks should go out to him too for performing and being there when he was sick earlier.

PHILLYLUVSCLAY
  HEY MACK!!
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2003, 11:06:12 PM »   

HEY MACK!

IF YOU GET NEAR HIM, AT THE GAME, GIVE HIM KISS A  FROM "CLAYGIRLS"  8)  8)  8)  8)

Sundancer
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2003, 11:09:03 PM »   

i'll find a way to be close to one!

Atta girl, mack! Okay, when he does the solo concert, I'm hangin' with you!  :D

Hiya, Philly!

mackncsu
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2003, 11:09:22 PM »   

Oh Philly,
If I get close enough I'll give him 5 kisses for you alone!!! :

mackncsu
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2003, 11:10:43 PM »   

We can get our tickets together!!

Misha
  Steps on a limb
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2003, 11:18:29 PM »   

~approaching this discussion from around the corner, keeping my head down and then walking up to the podium~

Ummmm..... *looks around, a lil scared*

Though there were obviously bad moments ummmm.... *blinks*

I kinda liked the show.  It wasn't nearly as boring as the AMA's were.  And I liked a lot of the music there.  *starts shaking, fearing tar and feathering*

And ummm... I loved how often they referred to Clay, because you know you're big and I mean BIG (with capital letters) when everyone jokes around about you.  *bites my bottom lip*

And ummm... I'm glad it was Ryan Seacrest hosting the show cause Jimmy Kimmel was worse.  WAY worse at the AMA's.  *takes out my cell phone, calling for added security for when I leave*

One more thing... I LOVE YOU CLAY!!!!  *makes a run for the exit*

songbird457
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2003, 11:28:53 PM »   

Janegirl - welcome to our lovely world of Clay! I agree with you totally. I have just been chatting with another clay fan about how terrible today's music is. She is younger than me, and I consider myself to be young (I'm 26).
Misha you did have a good point. Clay was all the rave. Maybe everyone just wishes they could be like him - and they know that they couldn't if they tried.
Pamela, I'm sorry  :( - I know we aren't supposed to bash and judge here, so I hope I don't sound like I am. I'm trying to be a good Claygirl.

I don't want to beat a dead horse - I agree with most everyone on here. We all know about the influence Clay has on society and the future. Without us fans, he would still be in North Carolina teaching I am sure. And he'd be happy. but for now, I think that maybe he has received a calling to come shower us with a little love and hope.  :D

Clay, we could never doubt you. Thank you, thank you - for everything now and to come. We love you!!!

mackncsu
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2003, 11:30:07 PM »   

haha Misha...I agree about the lip biting comment..I wish we could have seen some of that tonight

cjrmax
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2003, 11:31:50 PM »   

Ok - don't hit me or ban me but I must I say this.  I think Clay has a very normal sense of humor for a 25 year old guy.  I bet he has laughed at his share of crude jokes and sexual innuendo.  Just because he's a Christian doesn't necessarily make him a prude.  I don't think you're being realistic about him.  Since none of us know him personally (darn!), we are all only conjecturing, and perhaps projecting our own standards.  I just think from everything I have seen, including pictures of him at a restaurant named "Dick's" with condom hats on his head that he is more normal than you think.  He does not live in a glass bubble.  He has been exposed to the real world.  He is NOT a saint.  He's a normal 25 year old guy!

As for Kathy Griffin's comments - I personally think they were hysterical and not in the least bit crude!!  Its called humor folks!  Just because you didn't find it funny doesn't mean others didn't and that if one did find it funny that they are somehow perverted.  I found it funny.  I am not a pervert.  I am not promiscuous.  I am not a slut.  But I found it funny.  I bet in a way Clay was flattered.

You know,  I know very sophisticated, well educated, gentlemanly men who laugh their heads off at things like Triumph (now that humor escapes me!).  They laugh over what I like to call bathroom humor.  These are men of all religious convictions - yes, some are Christian.  They are at least as polite and kind and considerate as I imagine Clay to be.  But they laugh hysterically over stuff like that.  Its normal.  Its not perverted.  It is not a sign of the downfall of our society.  They just think its funny!  It doesn't hurt anyone (exception:  jokes that attack someone personally, but even then, if they don't single out just one person, then I don't think it hurts anyone).  Its just humor. 

Everyone here certainly has the right to express their disgust at what went on at tonight's awards.  After reading all the comments, though, I just felt compelled to express my point of view too.  I think you are all selling Clay short.  He's not some naive, fragile mama's boy!

Ok, I guess you can start praying for my wayward soul now (PLEASE: That is NOT meant as a religious slur or to make fun of the power of prayer! You guys now have nme extremely paranoid!).

I'm going to click "Submit" now!  I only hope I will live to see another day on this board!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2003, 11:50:30 PM »   

I just rewatched my tape.  I wasn't paying good attention earlier because I was multitasking (aka looking for pictures for y'all!).

First of all, if you didn't know who Clay was before this show, you will certainly know now.  From the intro to the AI commercials to all the audience shots of Clay to all the (ridiculously crass and unfunny) jokes at his expense, to his faboo performance and award and acceptance speech; Clay was very visible during the show.  As he should have been.

Sweet.

Now, I never cared much for award shows.  I'm just a simple girl; and they seem like so many self-important not-as-talented-as-they-think alleged 'artists' patting each other on the back and hogging the camera.

Since I am compelled to now watch them so as to see Clay perform, I have to wonder how he keeps from either laughing or crying at some of the antics of these hipper than thou 'rock stars.'  My skin would be crawling right off my bones.

The low points - the plastic puppet and the scuzzy rock star.  By the way, I also watched the later satellite feed and they cut all the offensive gay joke references to Clay from the west coast feed.  Since they were offensive, and unfunny as well, I give FOX props for that.  Especially since dissing their main focus in the AI commercials (Clay) would have been, well, stupid.  Pink's performance - Pink has a very unique and interesting voice.  Why she feels the need to create a 'performance' with pseudo pornographic behavior is beyond me.  Her AMA performance was killer. But hey, like I said, I'm just a simple girl so whatever.

The high points - Clay of course.  His performance was stark and intense. This was a nice contrast from all the 'production' numbers from some of the other performers.  I thought he sounded great, even though he seemed to want to get out of there as quickly as possible.   :

Sting - great performance, awesome.  Amazing acceptance speech.  It was matter of fact yet poignant.  It was profound yet simple.  Which gives me another opportunity to say yet again, I would LOVE to hear Clay sing 'Fragile.'  Stevie Wonder, how great to see him.  He never ages does he?  And I can only hope that he has already won a 'Century' award.  Otherwise, why he presenting it when he should have been winning it?

That's about all I can say about this show.  I'm very happy for Clay and his award, he deserves it and he earned it.  And I'm very happy I won't be subjected to another one of these shows for a while.

:mrgreen:

mackncsu
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2003, 12:01:53 AM »   

cj- I think that most of us also thought that Kathy Griffin comments were funny. I agree, I'm sure that Clay has a normal sense of humor and all that. He can have a normal sense of humor and still not appreciate a lot of the awful things that were said tongiht.

Pam-Thanks for the info on the west coast broadcast. It's good to know that they cut some of that stuff.

clayfanatic
  SEND COMPLAINTS TO FOX.....
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2003, 12:27:57 AM »   

SEND COMPLAINTS TO:

askfox@foxinc.com

I say, let us really let them know the full extent of our disgust.

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2003, 12:31:33 AM »   

My problem with these shows is that -

1- the funny bits aren't usually very funny
2- the performances are sometimes subpar
(not all of them, but I think they should all be good)
3- there is too much emphasis on being hip or cool and not enough emphasis on entertaining me  :mrgreen:
4- there is sometimes more focus on what people wear than what they sing or their performance
5- there are a ridiculous amount of commercials and not enough singing!
and
6- they are sometimes boring.  To me.

I thought Kathy Griffin was hilarious; that intro sort of came out of left field.   8)

mackncsu
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2003, 12:33:54 AM »   

Pamela,
You summed up how I feel completely!

outthereforclay
  get well, Clay!
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2003, 12:35:46 AM »   

oK, like a kid who's told NOT to go in THAT room, now I'll just HAVE to know all the stuff that the West COast show cut out! :  :?  :

lighten up, everyone! it's just an awards show...MOST of the people there are adults...I would bet that all the reactions and opinions that run the gammut among the tv-watching audience were represented in the group of people AT the awards show, as well.  Can't please all the people all the time.  :roll:

It just so happens that right now a certain type of music , behavior, attitude, etc., is the predominant one...doesn't mean it's evil or wonderful or...actually, it doesn't mean much of anything :?  :o

Clay is an adult...he continues to prove that at every turn, with every exposure to infantile and ludicrous behavior by others. While I know that all this indignation and worry about Clay's "fragility" re: the "ugliness" displayed by some tonight all comes from a good place=love for Clay, I really don't think it's something that HE gets as worked up about as the fans who feel that way do!

I would bet that, as some of you have suggested, the biggest feeling he had tonight---other than pride and gratitude for the award, since this award like the Fans Choice reflects FAN ACCEPTANCE AND LOVE by sales figures--- was exhaustion. He's sick and he had to be public in a BIG WAY when he was sick, and he is amazing. I hope he DID get the &(*&^ out of there as soon as he could...not so much to get away from the filth and disgusting aspects of the show----we all know that given his "druthers" he would NOT have CHOSEN to attend an exhibition like that----but to get home to bed, chicken soup and mom's love.

He knows he already has ours! :

Marshini258
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2003, 12:51:10 AM »   

Oh my gooodness, the most AMAZING (at least to me) thing happened to me! Okay, i was checkin out the forum and all, and then I remeber "AH! BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS! OH MY GOODNESS!!" So then I run to my room to make sure its today, and run to the TV and turn it on.. and thats when Kathy Griffith was talking and she was saying all this stuff and I hear "MEASURE OF A MAN" and I think "oh my goah, if its him thats gonna be on TV, its fate....seriously" And whadaya know, it was HIM! And I got it RECORDED on my TAPE and I was screaming and squealing the entire time and it was the best ever.

it was kinda freaky because out of all the seconds in the day, I remebered that second right before he was going to perform and I timed it JUST RIGHT!! My heart was POUNDING the WHOLE TIME!!! Maybe I'm just overreacting, but I was SOOOO COOL to me!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
clayfan18
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2003, 01:04:04 AM »   

Just catching up here.   Sting and Clay are the best!  I was so happy and  smiling while Clay sang.    Clay made us proud and in the process he is earning a lot of respect!  Just watch him moving and flying high after tonight!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2003, 01:04:52 AM »   

Marshini, that is what you call exquisite karma.

Marshini258
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2003, 01:13:45 AM »   

Yes, I know...its was great. i was reading the post on this topic and was thinking "oh crapo, I missed it." But I check my calendar in my room (yes, I have a Clay schedule in my room) and it was TODAY! What a great feeling... i didn't miss him. Lets  see if its fate that me meet... hmmm hmm hmm

Jeannette
  great performance!
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2003, 06:15:43 AM »   

I thought that it was one of the best performances of Invisible I have heard.  I had forgotten that he had been sick, and his acceptance speech looked like he wanted to get out of there.  But Pamela, I agree with you that the performance was rather stark but had a lot of power and emotion.  Also the background music was not so overengineered, so his voice and personality really came out.  One thing that makes him so fascinating is that he sings it differently every time.

I was sickened by everything that he had to put up with.  But I admired him so much for the strength and dignity that he showed all night.  And he wasn't afraid to let them know that he didn't think it was funny.

And then to give such a stunning performance and beat them at their own game!  He was one of the few there who could actually sing.

I also am glad that his mother was with him.  She seems like a magnificent woman--I'm sure he gets a lot of his strength from her.

Leveland
My Turn
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2003, 07:03:02 AM »   

I went through a lot of grief last night.  My Husband kept coming into the room complaining about watching this Crap!! for 3 minutes of Clay.. This made the show even worse for me.  I would have turned it off after the first performance, if it wasn't for seeing and hearing OMC.

I did think that Kathy Griffin was kinda funny.  I think she has been luring at the BLP Thread.  We can make her an official Claygirl.  I don't think Clay was offended, or he wouldn't have made a snarly remark back to her.  "You were pretty good too"

The Dog needs to be burned at the stake.  It seemed to me that the audience didn't think it was funny either.  Clay took it like a Man and I just felt sorry for His Mom sitting through all the Vulgar stuff going on.

I agree with Outhere, They are adults and I am sure they already know what type of Music and Artist (if you can call them that)  are out there. 
Clay has had a calling to try and change the Music Industry..
The only thing I enjoyed besides OMC was Sting and Shania. 

Of course he looked so Hot, he has been listening or reading our posts.  Yea Black T-shirt under a very Hot Suit. 

Well that is my opinion take it how ever you want.  I loved the performance the music wasn't as loud so his voice shined through.  I do think he is still not feeling well.  He didn't seem to smile as much as normal during the performance. 

Congrats Clay we are so Proud of Who you are.  Love Terry

GWENN
 BILLBOARDS
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2003, 07:47:02 AM »   

I JUST READ ALL OF THE POSTS.  I POSTED EARLY.  I AGREE WITH PAMELA AND OTHERS THAT WE SHOULD ALL BE GLAD THAT WE DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO THIS @#$%%% FOR A WHILE.  MY HUSBAND AND I WERE DISCUSSING THIS MORNING HOW AMAZING IT IS THAT IN 6 SHORT MONTHS, CLAY HAS MANAGED TO GET 2 MAJOR AWARDS, A PLATINUM SINGLE AND DOUBLE PLATINUM ALBUM.  SOME PEOPLE IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY DON'T GET THAT IN YEARS.  OR EVER.  CLAY WAS A CLASS ACT WITH  POISE AND CONFIDENCE IN THE MIDDLE OF WHAT WAS A SESSPOOL CALLED MUSIC.  PINK HAS A WONDERFUL VOICE BUT THAT PERFORMANCE WAS BEYOND POOR TASTE. I AM QUITE SURE THAT CLAY HAS SEEN AND HEARD ALL OF THIS BEFORE.  IT IS JUST DIFFICULT TO WATCH THIS WITH YOUR MOM.  HARD ON HER, TOO.  WE CAN ALL BE PROUD OF CLAY, HIS CHARACTER, AND HIS TALENT.  HE IS THE BEST!!!!!!!

Linda from CT
  Billboard Music Awards
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2003, 07:48:20 AM »   

I was so upset to think that someone as special as Clay had to listen to that smutt that was up on the stage last night: Pink, Triumph the Dog, etc.  The one time he brings his mom to an award show, it had to be filled with dirt like that.  When he came onto the stage, it was like the whole show had cleaned up their act.  The way he carries himself, sings and, in general, just looks!!!!!  I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  I forgot everything that happened on that stage when I saw his face.  I was thrilled that he won that deserving award.  I couldn't stop thinking about him all night.  Fans, don't stop supporting him.  This guy is a gift from God.   Clay, may you have continued success and never have to be on a stage with such trash again. PLEASE, PLEASE GO ON TOUR VERY SOON (including CT).  WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH.  The only thing that upsets me is that I can't see Clay perform again tonight, but there is always my video tapes now.

barb0074clay
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2003, 08:57:17 AM »   

I haven't got much more to add to the discussion...............we're all reading off the same page.  But after I went to bed last night I had a horrible thought.............what it Clay were to "chuck" it all and go back to teaching?  After last night, I wouldn't hardly blame him.  I know a lot of us hold him up on a pedastal, and think of him as  the one to lead the pop industry out of the abyss it's in, but if he didn't really dream of being an idol, how much can he take?.. he just looked so tired my heart ached for him.  I'm definitely letting Fox know how disgusting Pink, Nicole and Triumph were......we gotta do our part, too.  Oh, yeah, I've been trying to think of a phrase to use to compare Clay to the others....the rose rising out of a trash heep is right on!!

sjmcdona
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2003, 09:10:17 AM »   

I thought I would add my two cents to this thread.. I found something to agree with in every post thus far. Overall, I thought the BMA's was tacky. I was thrilled to see Clay get so much attention, and it is clear Fox knows how big a fan base he has. It was clear to me that Clay is not 100% healthy, but he was still amazing. I was totally disgusted with the mutt's comments, and not just about Clay either. How people can find that stuff funny is beyond me. Regarding Kathy Griffin's comments, I am a Christian, and though it was a bit over the top, overall I thought it was pretty funny. I agree with the comments that Clay is a healthy male who does not live in a bubble, and if he wants to sing secular music he has to be able to live with this sort of humor. Frankly, based on interviews I have seen, I think Clay is just as embarrassed when women throw panties on the stage (especially much older women) or when he reads some of the more provacative discussions that appear on some forums. My sense is Kathy is a fan and was trying to stick up for him in her own way.

joanhhovey
  I wouldn't blame him either if he went back to teaching
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2003, 09:11:39 AM »   

After that filth, and cruelty towards Clay last night, I want him far from all of it. Disney would be a perfect fit, I agree, Pam et al, and I'd also like to him be with David Foster, as Josh Grobin is.
Clay is so above what he had to endure at that show. But he rose to the occasion anyway. God keep him, and take care of him. And that is not to suggest he is fragile and a momma's boy, as someone on the board suggested, but because there is an air of vulnerability about him, and because he has an artist's sensitivity, and sensibilities. And because he is a good and caring human being.
It's true that good attracts evil. I felt a lot of that last night, dense and malignant as toxic waste, oozing through the tube.

aeleon9995
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2003, 09:26:11 AM »   

Hello..i have been a member here for  a couple of months..and i  usually just read alot..but i had to comment on the show...that was alot of nastiness to listen to while waiting for clay....not even remotely funny just plain rude...and think just because they were part of AI that don't deserve to be there and do so well..it just made me so mad..but i sooo did enjoy that voice!! he was worth the wait..and i do have to say that i love the glasses.

Jan
 Clay still triumphs over all the trash
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2003, 09:56:02 AM »   

I agree Joan, It is amazing what Clay has to endure with his fame, all that trash talking, vulgarity etc.
Think about it; all the entertainers had lights, dancers, decorated screens, costumes a whole show and then Clay, Sting and Shania Twain (who had children in her number) , just came out in regular clothes and just sang.

They do not need all of the trappings to take away from their talent.

I was really upset over Clays introduction by some "person" who was really disgusting. Poor Clay, I bet sometimes he wishes he was back in North Carolina teaching children.
 His voice was not up to par as he was still suffering from the flu and could not hit his high notes.
 I also noticed that when he left the stage he looked a little dejected.
Who wouldnt after having to take part in all of that garbage.
Anyway I am happy that he won an award and he will have lots more to take home.
I am very proud of him!!!!!
Jan

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2003, 10:39:50 AM »   

I didn't think the show was 'disgusting' per se; no more so than all the other music award shows.  It's what they do.  Outrageousness is what keeps their names in the media when they can't bank on talent.

The problem I had with it is that it aired at 8:00.  Lots of kids are watching TV at that time, and many of them were probably watching to see Clay, or maybe someone else they like to hear on the radio but aren't used to seeing 'live.' 

I'm an adult, so I can deal.  But if I had a kid, I wouldn't have wanted them to watch some of the performances or hear some of the jokes or the bantering between Nick and Jessica.  Yeah, I know they're married, but just...ewww.   

There is such a thing as too much information you know.   :roll:

Sundancer
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2003, 11:06:58 AM »   

Pamela,

I agree--I could have done without Nick and Jessica's references to their sex life. Actually, I could have done without Nick and Jessica.

Why is she famous, anyway?  :D

liney23
  BMAs
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2003, 11:23:07 AM »   

I taped the show last night and only watched Clay's performance so far.  I did not find Kathy's remarks funny, but that's me. 

I thought Clay looked not well.  He still performed wonderfully, tho!

I also noticed the black tee under the shirt - way to go!!

I wondered if the patch was from his college that he will be graduating from on the 20th.

Did you notice that people were standing for him?  Since I haven't seen any of the rest of the show, I don't know if they did that a lot or not.

Nick and Jessica's remarks afterwards were supportive of Clay and against Triumph, but so badly delivered that I rolled my eyes.  Brother, and they get paid for this?

Faye was in a band with Clay's biological father, who drank a lot, so I don't think she was probably as shocked as some might think.  That said I also would imagine she didn't really enjoy the show, but was there to support Clay.  This gave her a first-hand look at what he has had to endure. 

I agree that just because Clay isn't flaunting his sexuality, that he doesn't have any.  Anyone who can interrupt a song laughing at a sign that he is the female viagra is ok in my book.  Enjoy this crap, no, but be traumatized by it into giving up his dream, no. 

I read in an interview with his college professor, that when Clay came to arrange his outside studies to get his degree that he could tell that Clay had a deep dream to succeed in this chance to be a major entertainer.  I think it is a dream that he had, but didn't think possible till God and destiny had other plans.

I can't wait till his concert tour is announced.  They'd better book LARGE stadiums!

maggiemae
  Billboard show - Kathy Griffith
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2003, 11:33:25 AM »   

I thought that what she was saying in the intro was trying to dispel the jokes made about Clay being Gay and that she DID NOT THINK SO.  This is how I read it.

Sundancer
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2003, 11:41:48 AM »   

I think we need to calm down a little. Granted, the show was garbage. I haven't read any comments anywhere from someone who thought it was tasteful and well-done.

But I think I see now why Clay says his fans want to "take care" of him.  :  There's so much indignation about him being forced to sit through such crass humor and horrible language, and what of those sinful allegations made by Kathy Griffins during his intro!

He's an adult, like many of us. While I didn't agree with the tone of the show, it didn't embarrass me or give me nightmares. If someone wishes to present himself or herself to the national audience as trash, that's their problem. It is no reflection on me and doesn't sully me--just as it is no reflection on Clay (or his mom) and doesn't sully him (or his mom).

What made Kathy's introduction so humorous to some was that what she was saying was so far from the truth. "He flipped me over! I had to call him 'Daddy'! Now I know the true measure of a man!"

Even Clay laughed at it--when he picked up his award, he said to her, "You were pretty good, too."  :

If he can make light of the whole thing, I think we can, too.

outthereforclay
  that said......
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2003, 11:47:44 AM »   

Thank you, Sundancer! We're on the same wavelength...

does that frighten you, dearie? :  8)

songbird457
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2003, 11:59:58 AM »   

I agree with Pamela - w/ the show airing at 8pm - that was part of my rave last night (hehehe, it's  a new day though).

Clay's a big boy. Like we are big girls. I'm just so glad we had Sting, Shania and Clay to make us proud.

I wasn't embarrassed for myself - just for some images that are portrayed these days. Sometimes it scares me to think of having kids - isn't that sad? Everything they can see and do these days  - even 20 years ago things seemed remotely innocent.

Oh well - change of the times. Lets just hope Clay is here to stay (at least for awhile).  :D

Nina
  Clay's performance at Billboard Awards
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2003, 12:00:25 PM »   

Okay, I will say what I have to say and then run for cover.  Clay was off key through many parts of Invisible last night.  I play a musical instrument and although I do not have perfect pitch, I can tell when someone is off pitch.  Clay was repeatedly off-pitch last night.  It might have been due to his recent ill health.  I also noticed that he did not have earplugs on so he probably could not hear himself and that probably would have solved the problem.  I taped the performance and listened to it again this morning and it was as off pitch as I remembered.  Fortunately, his voice did overcome the background and you could tell he was powering over the microphone. He also gave a lively, spirited performance and that helped.  My main concern is that others might have hear the off-key parts and won't want to buy his CD.  He needs to make sure that he can give the best performance every time.  If this means wearing those ear thingies he should do it.  He looked great though and I am still wondering about those patch things on his jacket. 
Nina

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 12:44:46 AM »
Sundancer
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2003, 12:02:53 PM »   

does that frighten you, dearie?

Nahh, we're often on the same wavelength.

That might frighten you, though.  :

Misha
  Wait!
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2003, 12:04:30 PM »   

Wait!  No need to run for cover!  *L*  Actually, I saw that Gwen Stefani was having pitch problems too, and she didn't have an ear piece either.  ((I admit, I loved her performance, I loved the digital effects of those background screens))

I didn't hear a LOT of off notes from Clay, only a couple, but overall he did fine.  And believe me, I've been singing since I was 4 years old and those "off" notes hurt my ears.  So though he hit one or two bad notes, so did everybody else and overall he did fine.  *S*

songbird457
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2003, 12:21:52 PM »   

I agree w/ Misha about Clay's performance. I am a singer too and I can't imagine singing as much as he does - especially just getting over an illness.
Maybe he's tired of singing "invisible" too, lol.

mackncsu
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2003, 12:46:30 PM »   

I agree with you also Misha. I've played French Horn for 10 years so, I listen for stuff like that in people. I didn't notice a lot of it in Clay but, I'm sure there were places.

Hey Sundancer, I agree with what you and Outthere said about Clay laughing at Kathy's comments. I thought they were funny, especially when Clay added his comment...ahh OMC...what a hoot!

Linda in CT
  Billboard Awards
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2003, 12:47:42 PM »   

It felt so good to post my complaint to the billboards.  I couldn't wait to tell them how disgusted I was that they humiliated the performers that worked so hard to get an award, only to be rewarded with stupidity and ignorance from some dog and a skanky looking guy.  It is too long to put it all here, but at the end I asked if the producer graduated from elementary school, or just come out from underneath a rock!  Also, that the country had to endure 90% of crap until we could see the performer that we were waiting for, that being Clay.  I'm starting to go on again, so I will stop here!

mackncsu
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2003, 12:49:29 PM »   

haha good for you Linda! And welcome to the page! You should register!

sjmcdona
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2003, 12:55:02 PM »   

Like others, I am a singer and noticed a couple of places where he was "pitchy," and I feel it was a combination of illness, nerves (cause he was sharp in spots at the AMA's too) and not being able to hear. Personally, I have never heard Gwen sing well live, and Pink even had some pitch problems. I think true singers understand these factors, and  Clay was still very good. I am sure he was under immense pressure by Fox to sing, as it was clear he was one of the show's big draws. Maybe he will be able to take a week or two off soon and get some much needed R&R. I will happily volunteer to nurse him back to health!  :

totallyinluv
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2003, 01:05:38 PM »   

I've only made it through about 5 pages of this thread so far, but I wanted to post before I had to run off for a couple of hours, so forgive me if this has already been written.  At first, I was horrified at what Kathy Griffin said in her intro to Clay, not because I didn't think think it was funny - I actually laughed really hard, because it was so the antithesis of Clay which is what made it so funny - but because I thought Clay would be really disgusted and embarrassed and I don't like to think of Clay being hurt in any way.  I was surprised at how composed he seemed at the beginning of his performance, and then I thought, "Well, certainly that was no surprised to him.  They'd been there rehearsing.  He must have known at least the gist of what was coming and had something to say about it."  Then afterwards, he went up to her, kissed her on the cheek and gave her a little hug and said, "Not too bad" with a cute little smile.  So clearly he wasn't TOO angry about it.  When I relistened to it, she was crude in an adult way, but she didn't say anything that young kids would have understood sexually.  The thing that I found most distasteful that she said was," He's so hot that I'm still sore!"  But at least that is not something children would have understood.  I bet that Clay ask her not to say anything that children would understand in a negative way, and if you listen to what she said, she didn't.  So maybe he wasn't too upset by it even though I'm sure he would have preferred nothing of that sort be said at all.  He knows that sort of joking is going to go on at those kinds of shows.

More later.  But I thought he handled himself very classily - as always.

Misha
  Anyone?
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2003, 01:40:58 PM »   

Okay... am I the only one who thought Triumph's jokes about Britney lip syncing hilarious?  I was dying laughing, cause its soooo true about her lipsyncing... Come on... someone?  Anyone?  Wasn't some of his stuff funny?  *L*

breezy
  Kathy Griffin...god bless her!
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2003, 01:50:43 PM »   

I loved Kathy Griffin's bit...for the first time someone stood up for Clay. He has been constantly maligned about being gay and here's a gal who stood up and said, in so many words, "hey, this guy is a sensual, sexy, lover!  Check him out ".  We have and we agree. :D

perfectmatch
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2003, 02:48:13 PM »   

Ack! Ive been gone cause I didn't want anything spoiled last night. Okay! Im with OUTTHERE all us Californians wanna know what had been said...

If it was in Las Vegas why were we not seeing it live? I mean its our time zone.

I liked Kathy's stuff I mean it might have been over the top, but sooo reminded me of us back here in the BLP thread!  :

He looked gorgious and I almost fell off my chair when he popped out for the intro :oops:  :oops: hehe

I didn't hear what Triumph had to say darn. but maybe Im glad I didn't.

I really do feel bad about Faye, but even so she lives in this world too and she prolly has been exposed, but not ever about her son so I was pretty upset about that.

Over all I wanna say Im sooooo proud of Clay for what he's brought himself to right now! Also that last night was so awsome (I like that word I say it a lot hehe) But he was!

I love you, we love you!!!!

lmurr
  Clay was his beautiful self, but Award Show was sleazy
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2003, 03:25:38 PM »   

I could tell Clay was not felling well,  because I've watched his performances over and over and although his was wonderful, he didn't seem to have to enthusiasm he usually has.

I e-mailed the Billboard Awards and Fox let them know what I thought. Clay was too classy for that crowd.   Pink, Triumph the Dog, come off it - this isn't x-rated videos.

Although Sting was great, so was Beyounce. Shiana Twain was great, but with all those kids on the stage and around, and to have Paris Hilton and whatever the name of her side kick is, say F--- on live TV.  What is going on????  Dumbing down of America..... or Sleazying down. 
BUT I LOVE CLAY AND HE WAS WONDERFUL.  I WANT ALL THE U.S. TO HEAR HIM..... HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE HIM.  I HAVE OBSESSIVE CLAY DISORDER.  EVERYONE THINKS I'M NUTS.  I TAPE HIM AND REPLAY AND REPLAY.  SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH ME.....

perfectmatch
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2003, 04:06:46 PM »   

No worries IMURR You're just one of us!!!!

clayaikenwow
  hi again
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2003, 04:20:01 PM »   

this was my former post:
First of all the only good thing about that show was clays intro his performance and him winning and accepting. It was so vulgure and uncalled for the whole show was awful.i mean they neede to have clay on there so people would watch it.
Next everything said about him was so uncalled for and rude, clay was not amused at the remarks made i mean i can understand some little jokes but they went way over the top.I know that clay dosnt pay attention to theses things but i really think him and his mom were wanting to get out of there.i think that it was so low especially when kathy introed his performance that was so awful she said everything that he is against i mean its not even sensible i dont think clay was very pleased, actually i know he wasnt along with all his other fans..I think it just goes to prove once more how sick this world is and again how beautiful our clay is i mean he never gets upset , and hes so christian in everything he does it really shines through all the time. I felt bad for him and his mom just because they had to sit there and experience that show.Did people actually think that it was funny because it was so rude seriously we all know whow clay is and we know that he didnt like what he saw or heard tonight.He is so cute though and those glasses i love him !!!You could tell he was stull sick when he was giving his speech but not when he was singing!!!!!!!!It seemed like he was in a very big hurry to get out of there. He puts up with so much but as usual turns the other cheek because he is the best and so special. we all love you clay congrat on your award you deserve it more than anyone else.I cant say how disappointed i am in the awards it was a waste of tv , besides for clay!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clay is the best hes probably sleepign now the poor thing at least he has his mother there with him!It was nice that he brought his mom, and the first thing i saw was his WWJD bracelet!!!!!!i think he truely felt out of place, but he looks past all of it and folows God and dosnt worry what others think, he was happy to perform but im glad its over for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it was making me sick to have ot watch him go through that show.people may think im over reacting alittle but you must relize that im not. i love clay he is the best in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now lol when i rote this i was ina  rage lol i still agree with everything i said but i agree with otehrs too that clay and his mom are both adults and show how wonderful they are by the way they take the filth that is thrown at him.Clay surely must have been dicusted by the comments made but he knew some were comming.you could really tell he didnt really enjoy the show though and wasnt feeling well.Hes the best hehehe..Everything that was said about him was totally oppoite as someone else said, and i know clay and his mom are such respectful people and they proabably have all the comments put past them.i still think that they went way overboard with the things they said though. i mean jokes are ok but not when you are violating someones beliefs in a way.Anyway i hope clay gets better son he looked so tired and like he'd rather be home sleeping , but hes got two big awards now he is so amazing i love him!!!!!!!!Clays attitude amazes me everyday i just love him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Guest) Caramel131
  Suggestion
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2003, 04:25:01 PM »   

I have a suggestion regarding sending emails, etc. to Billboard regarding the award show held last evening. 

Clay Fans (and other idol fans) are being labeled as fanatics.  As such, we are not being taking seriously when voicing our concerns.  So my suggestion (and it is only a suggestion) when sending a complaint to Billboard, is to not go in a rampage about Clay.  State your displeasure of watching and hearing all the vulgarity that took place as a viewer and not as it relates to Clay.

joanhhovey
  Good advice
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2003, 04:44:35 PM »   

You are right on, as usual, Caramel.  Joan
www.joanhallhovey.com

Leveland
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2003, 04:45:18 PM »   

I agree caramel  100%  Just voice that childern may have been watching.  Clay shoudl have nothing to do with it.

XXXClay-koiXXX
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2003, 04:48:12 PM »   

Fellow Claymaniacs...

Was it just me, or did Clay not seem to be enjoying Triumph's "witty cracks" last night at the 2003 Billboard Music Awards?

That dog may've been barkin' up the wrong tree... dun'cha think? Making gay jokes about Clay and Ruben? ::Cough:: I mean, I'm a huge slash-girl, but that's not right!

And the bad jokes about Clay's gorgeous voice selling millions in a day?! Even with his cute wire-rimmed glasses, our Idol looked t'ed! ^^ ::Hugs:: S'all good... that dog was just raggin' 'cause he jealous! We still love you!! Triumph needs a makeover from the Fab5! ^_____^

And Clay's song was enough to shut that dog up! ^.~ I taped the show and I'm gonna watch it forever! ::Smiles::

In my opinion, there were not enough shots of him in the audience! ^.~ He was just so adorable clad in dress-drab... wearin' those glasses... ^^ ::Hugs:: I hope I'm not just speaking for myseld, but I can't wait 'til he performs again! Don't keep us waiting long!

_PureClayLuvin'_
XXXClay-koiXXX

(PS) Have you seen the new "American Idol" commercials? (I'm sure you have!) The ones featuring Clay? From his audition when Simon first complimented his lovable voice... to when he sang... to when he lost! ::Sniff:: But, it's great... ^^ Twenty full seconds of him that I was lucky enough to see when I was mad about Triumph's idiocy! >.< But, it was great! ^^ I'm gonna see if I can find it anywhere! Pamela... think you can scrounge it up for me? ^^

joanhhovey
  I needed something uplifting like this!
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2003, 04:53:16 PM »   

http://rdu.news14.com/content/headlines/?ArID=40106&SecID=2

Check it out!  Joan
www.joanhallhovey.com

Anonymous
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2003, 05:08:10 PM »   

My, my, so much controversy over Kathie Griffins remarks. It sounded to me like she knew about the black leather pants thread!  Some of her remarks may have been over the top, but all in all rather funny......one of the few humorous moments.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 12:55:51 AM »
totallyinluv
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2003, 05:19:19 PM »   

OK, Now I've read everything.  I think it's interesting that everyone else seems to think that Clay said "You did great too" or something like that to Kathy, because I'm really pretty sure that he said "Not TOO bad!".  My theory is that he knew the gist of what she was going to say and that they talked and he asked her to please not use any profanity and to keep the humor such that children listening would not understand.  And she did, even though it still bordered on pretty crass.  So I think he was grateful for that.

I loved his performance, although I too would like to see him get rid of the mike stand and move around more because I love his moves.  It was clear his energy level was low, but he was sexy and classy and just yummy.  It was clear that he was considered a MAJOR draw last night, both opening and closing the show and getting attention throughout the show.  I'm so happy for our Clay!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2003, 05:21:55 PM »   

I feel compelled to share this bit of information...not to change anyone's mind, but possibly to ease your mind?

I read a post on another board from someone who was actually at the Billboard award show.  She said Clay was cracking up when Kathy Griffin was introducing him in her 'familiar' way. 

They were already set up to perform, and the band got a good laugh out of it too.  Evidently, Clay was bent over double laughing.  If he was embarrassed, perhaps it was because his mother was in the audience.  I'll be watching my tape again to see if he's blushing...

Hey, if he thought it was funny then I feel vindicated.  I thought it was pretty ding dang funny too.  Much preferred to the dog puppet's type of humor.  :

Anonymous
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2003, 05:29:02 PM »   

I feel compelled to share this bit of information...not to change anyone's mind, but possibly to ease your mind?

I read a post on another board from someone who was actually at the Billboard award show.  She said Clay was cracking up when Kathy Griffin was introducing him in her 'familiar' way. 

They were already set up to perform, and the band got a good laugh out of it too.  Evidently, Clay was bent over double laughing.  If he was embarrassed, perhaps it was because his mother was in the audience.  I'll be watching my tape again to see if he's blushing...

Hey, if he thought it was funny then I feel vindicated.  I thought it was pretty ding dang funny too.  Much preferred to the dog puppet's type of humor.  :

Pamela I agree with you.  Kathy's humor I truly believe was not to hurt Clay but just to have some fun with him and probably to make him blush a little.
Believe me, I know that Clay is human like the rest of us and really must of been quite the class clown!  The dog.... I would love to shoot, Oh, I better watch it PETA will be on my back next .

Misha
  Just my opinion
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2003, 05:35:46 PM »   

I've thought about this long and hard.. I may fumble the words, but here goes:

Oftentimes, people forget the key to communication.  If you throw out accusations, all you will do is get them to feel defensive and block anything good you might have to say.

A good thing to remember is to not use the word "YOU"..... for example:  YOU should know better than to put vulgar things on TV etc etc. 

Instead, something like:  I really enjoy watching the show, but it was rather hard to watch with my children in the room when the sexual innuendo was happening.  Could you please (please is a very good word) put something a little more "family" oriented on the next show so we can all enjoy it better?

Remember also, that his fans are a reflection of who Clay is.  If you "go off" on the people in the media who are ultimately the ones who will be producing the programs that we see Clay on, they may say, "Screw that, why have him on if we get slammed by all his fans when we don't do things EXACTLY the way they want it done".  And then, they will see Clay as WE portray him.

If they see fans slamming every artist out there, insulting others (look at the Grammy posts as an example of "poor sportsmanship"), then they will think that Clay feels the same way.

Its one thing to say that you prefer Clay's style of music... that you don't really like hip hop or other styles of music.  Its another to say that its allll vulgar and that everyone should have the same tastes you have.

Look at Black Eyed Peas.  What song was huge from them?  "Where is the Love" is the song and it is an absolutely wonderful song in my mind including the lyrics. 

There are other artists out there that are putting out some good music too ya know.  And, I like Beyonce's music.  Its catchy.

I guess what I'm rambling on about is, when people here start losing their senses of humor and acknowledgement of the RIGHT people have to like who they like, and listen to what they listen to, why should THEY listen to you when you tell them what THEY should listen to?  Basically all you're doing is saying, "Your opinions do not matter to me"... and isn't that why we are so frustrated sometimes when we tell them that we like Clay and his music?  And that is why we get upset when some make us feel like our opinions do not matter.  So basically, I am saying, we should not be having the attitude of "an eye for an eye".  But instead, acknowledging that we are all different people, with different ideas of wrong and right.  Save the salvation issues for when you meet people in your life and change the world that way.  By not talking the talk, but instead, walk the walk.  We learn best by actions, not words.

outthereforclay
  Elementary, my dear Watson...
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2003, 05:39:05 PM »   

Pamela, if this is, indeed, true, then every suspicion I've always had about his sense of humor and his enjoyment of "juicy" humor has been confirmed.

just as I thought, my dear Watson! 8)

gotta love the man! :P

mackncsu
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2003, 05:40:32 PM »   

I agree Pamela!

grammaof6
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2003, 07:23:44 PM »   

Hi guys,
   Some of you already know that grammaof5 is conservative and can sometimes be abit of a prude about sex talk. Ya I know -  :  :  : I was glad to see Pamela's post, because I was thinking the same thing.

When Kathy Griffen first started off on Clay I immediately started to wag my finger at her (you know, that gramma wag), but then the more she continued, I found myself starting to laugh. It was quite clever the way she promoted all the songs that Clay has done weaving them into her into - This Is The Night, Invisible, Measure Of A Man. Good grief, we've said that and more in our BLT. Actually I ended up thinking she was complimenting Clay (not on his sexual accomplishments) but on all that he has accomplished in 6 months. Hopefully the audience saw her comments as 'tongue in cheek' too as Clay's wholesome, clean-cut reputation is well known in the music industry. To me her comments were almost like a rubber stamp to his wholesomeness!

Also I agree that he obviously wasn't feeling good. OBC is always magnificent and never lets us down, but right from the beginning he seemed to start on the wrong note, then he went to the low notes when normally he hits a high notes. He also kept swallowing when he could. His throat could have been sore or dry. The sparkle wasn't in those gorgeous green eyes, and his smile seemed tired. Even after the song, his look told me he wasn't pleased with his performance. When he finished and walked over to get his award, Kathy Griffen gave him "the thumbs up". Perhaps she was aware that he didn't feel well and was congratulating him on doing such a great job despite it.

I know I'm VERY prejudiced, but wasn't Clay the shows attention getter? Gosh, Ryan Seacrest (who I personally think really likes Clay) sought him out for the opener. Then several times during the evening the camera just found his face. I didn't see that happening with the other attendees. Clay is one of those charismatic people who unconciously draw others to him, even if they don't want to be drawn.  :D

Okay, I'm done. Haven't posted much this past week, so got it out of my system now. hehehe

Patricia Mary
  Clay billboard awards and two questions
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2003, 07:42:28 PM »   

I thought Clay was as professional as it gets at this award show. He is a true talent I have two questions. Is it true Ruben's album is selling more copies than Clay? Ruben is up for a Grammy and Clay is not? That is a true injustice to a person who truly is a American gentleman and talent.Thank you and Replys would be appreciated!

clayaikenwow
  i agree
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2003, 09:15:20 PM »   

i didnt like the comments made by kathy nor did i find them funny, but Clay once again just laughed them off and paid really no attention hes just so use to all the jokes, i still think he was a little discusted at the comments but being the person he is, thats was the best way to deal with jokes and stuff is to laugh them off !!Plus he has always said he dosnt care what anyone says to him, or about him because he dosnt listen to them. So even though i didnt liek teh show you have to say its over now and clay is fine im just worried about him getting better!!!hes the best thing that ever happened to so many people !He has such a great personality and can surpass anything that comes his way even the bad comments!He so wanted to get out of there though , you could tell. I bet hes sleeping or trying to he looked exausted.anyway i love clay hes so aamzing!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
 Re: Clay billboard awards and two questions
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2003, 12:04:43 AM »   

I thought Clay was as professional as it gets at this award show. He is a true talent I have two questions. Is it true Ruben's album is selling more copies than Clay? Ruben is up for a Grammy and Clay is not? That is a true injustice to a person who truly is a American gentleman and talent.Thank you and Replys would be appreciated!

Patricia Mary, Clay has sold more CDs in one week than all except three other artists this year.  He sold 613,000 CDs in his first week of release.  Awesome!  And, all the other artists were not debut artists like Clay was.

Ruben is predicted to sell between 300,000-400,000 CDs this week.  These are fantastic numbers as well!  Ruben will be proud if he gets those numbers.

Ruben was nominated for a Grammy in the R&B category.  Clay wasn't nominated for a Grammy, but the other artists in the pop category are some heavy hitters such as Sting, George Harrison and Justin Timberlake.  Clay has been nominated for three major awards already this year, and won two of them!

Clay is achieving great success this year, and Ruben is going to do well also.  It's all good.   (I sound like Ruben... :  )

Invisible Touch
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2003, 01:50:56 AM »   

I just found this discussion forum last night after I saw the show and needed to see if others felt the same way about the show.  Apparently I am not alone!  I also felt that just about everything other than Clay was terrible.  I hadn't heard that he has been sick, but I picked up on it right away during his performance.  He just didn't have quite the energy that he usually does.  I hope he feels better soon.  Anyway, I taped it and just went back and watched his performance again and I think that what was said as he came over to the podium was

Kathy: "Good Job"
Clay:  "Not Too Bad"

She would have known that he wasn't feeling well, and he maybe didn't think that he did as well as he could have.  I thought his performance was great and can't wait to see him again!

Seattle Blues
  Prime time not for prime time
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2003, 02:54:34 AM »   

Sting - sensational
Clay - incredible

I purchased Sting's CD the same day I purchased MOAM!  They were released either the same week or pretty close.  Best Buy had a table at the front of the door with CLAY, AI  and Sting's CD's on it when you walked in.  Clay keeps good company.

Pink & triumph - Ugh.  Not exactly what I want my son to watch at 8 pm.  People try to cover up the fact that they don't have alot of talent by doing outrageous things.  We put MUTE on quite a bit as my 15 year old son was in the room...not that he hasn't heard it...but it simply wasn't appropriate.  My husband just left the room and turned on sports.

Was the pimp routine by R Kelly for real or was it a joke?  The HIP HOP/RAP stuff is such a rip off.  The man has a voice but who can get beyond the fire engine red outfit and the multiple fur coats and diamonds.  Where were the gay jokes about him...

OutKast - I simply don't get these guys.  They wear outfits that look like McDonald uniforms.  They can't sing.....and people love them.  Ugh.

I think these mascarading record artists are a little put off that a fairly straight kid from AI sold that many records.  Eventually fans will wake up to their game.   Kids are very fickle.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 12:56:06 AM »
claymore
  billboard music award
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2003, 03:14:50 AM »   

i went to work early this morning and worked for 12 hours in a very busy emergency room. and when i open my favorite website at 1:00 AM there were 131 claymaniacs  responding to this topic alone. it took me a while to read them all. my eyes are tired. but i am so proud to be a member of this group. we are one in our love for OBC.
clay is blest with good lools, terrific voice and wonderful fans(us).
i am not gonna say anything more about the billboard award night. you all have said it all.
more power to clay!!!!
and more power to us his fans!!!!!!

claymore
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2003, 03:18:47 AM »   

correction to the above,
i mean blest with good looks.
boy, i must really be very tired. i need to sleep

mackncsu
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2003, 03:25:50 AM »   

haha

Clayomyheart
« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2003, 09:36:02 AM »   

Heaven knows that I am not a prude, but  I agree with many of you that it was the most disgusting, vile shows I have ever seen on TV.  I think it degraded everyone who watched it and I felt like I needed to take a shower afterwards.  I felt so upset and angry after watching it.    Pink was just too gross for words.  I thought she was one of the best performers at the AMA's and I like her voice and some of her songs, but her performance was vulgar and base.  The foul language of Nichole Ritchie,  and all the sexual innuendo from Nik and Jessica just added to the low tone. 
Don't even get me started on that stupid puppet dog,  almost noone found him funny and his comments were so cruel.  I won't ever watch him again; I respect myself too much.

Clay didn't sound his best, but I didn't think anyone sounded that great.  I don't think their sound system/technicians, whatever, was very good.

Now, even though I hated that show, as for Kathy Griffin, I AGREE WITH PAMELA!  I thought what she said was hysterical!!! It was rather blue, but it was funny. 

I do think Clay must have regretted taking his mother to this show.  He respects himself and women too much to ever volunteer for something like this.  I hope next time, he just has something else to do and saves himself for better things.

totallyinluv
« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2003, 11:30:05 AM »   

Pamela - thanks so much for clueing us in on Clay's reaction to Kathy's intto while she was giving it.  I figured that he must be standing there and I wished that the camera's had showed us his face.  I'm so glad that you had that inside scoop - wish we had been able to see it!  Glad to know that our gut feeling that he has a sense of humor about such things is correct! :D  :D

Now the question is  was his comment, "Not too bad."  concerning his own performance or Kathy's intro?

outthereforclay
  which performance was good?
« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2003, 11:34:56 AM »   

ah, yes, totallyinluv!   I was wondering that myself! Perhaps Pamela's "source"can illuminate help us determine which performance they were talking about.... :roll:

ClayBLuv
  Billboard Awards
« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2003, 11:48:10 AM »   

I agree with Clayomyheart and many of my fellow Claymates.  The Billboard show was horrible and poorly executed.  I am rather new to the award show thing, and I tuned into AMA's and the Billboards solely because of Clay Aiken.  I watch the Oscars, but I lost touch with the music shows a long time ago.  Now I know why!  I think that I will tape the award shows from now on, watch Clay, and weed out the trash. The show was pretty vulgar, on the whole.  Pink was vile!  What a shame; she is one of the best talents in the biz.  I guess she feels the need to compete with Britney and Christina (XXXtina).  The whole works of them should take "class" lessons from Mandy Moore, and a few others.  Sad, sad, sad!  Nick and Jessica - what a waste of air time.  Get a room, please!  Triumph the dog...mercy, mercy me.  I wish that thing would choke on that stupid cigar.  Triumph, the puppeteer, and the other "so called comedian" do not need neutering; they need to be put to sleep by the local vet.  The routine was so low that a word to describe it evades me.  The Madonna comment was bad enough, but the Rueban-Clay gay reference was nauseating.  A poor excuse for humour, in my opinion.  I don't care how mature and tolerant Clay is - that must have stung, bad.  He did not look too impressed when the camera zoomed in on him.  Each to their own, but if that is comedy, I want no part of it.  Nuff said!  Kathy Griffin was a hoot; the last part of the intro was (a bit) crass, though.  I bet Clay got a kick out of her, although it would be hard to predict how his mom would have felt.  Whether Clay is 5, 15, 25, 35 or even, 65, he will always be Faye's "little boy".  I hope that she rolled her eyes, shook her head, and took the whole show with a grain of salt.    There is one thing I am positive about; she must be exceptionally proud of the son she raised.  And, so she should be.  Show highlights: Clay performing and accepting his award.  He was not at his best vocally, but that is to be expected when a person has been sick.  If he needs someone to spoon feed (him) chicken soup, I am volunteering my services!  Hope he is feeling better soon.  The intro's with Ryan Seacrest were a scream!  They gave me my best laughs of the night.   Shania Twain, Stevie Wonder, and the amazing "Sting"  added some much needed class to the show, in addition to our Clay.  If Clay could take one thing from the whole show, and lock it away for safe keeping, I hope that thing would be the speech given by Mr. Class himself, Sting.  Beautiful, awesome, wonderful!  I will offer a bet that Clay was very touched by these words.  I believe that Clay's love and passion for music nourishes his heart and soul.  His music will be his reward.  As usual, Clay looked B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l......love the specs (so sexy).  He is definately my dream man.  "I can't put my finger on, just what it is that makes me love you....CLAY" .  It must be everyting, I guess!  KEEPER OF CLAYTON....SNUG AND WARM INSIDE MY HEART.

liney23
  BMAs
« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2003, 12:24:13 PM »   

I got to watch the program last night.  The intro was sooooo funny!  I don't care for Ryan Seacrest that much but thought he did a good job with his acting in that part and that Clay was GREAT and funny.  I just hooted all three times I watched it.

Then, I see the commercial for AI 3 which was ALL Clay!  I fist pumped for that one and watched it twice.

Only one comment on Clay's performance.  He was under par cause of being sick, but I noticed that he did some face scrunches that I have never seen before.  I heard that Simon told him on AI to lose the face scrunches and he did.  I wonder if he is just letting himself be more himself and scrunch away, or if his resistence was low because of feeling sub-par and he forgot himself.  Either way, we love him so now that he can scrunch away and few will care.  Dance and scrunch, Clay.  AI is over and you can totally be yourself now, we love you as you are.

I, too, thought of Clay listening when Sting made his speech.  I couldn't help imaging Clay making that sort of speech 25 years from now.  Sting was fantastic and Shania was great, too.  I bet Clay was loving watching those kids. 

Taping is the only way to go with these awards shows.  You can FF thru all but the good parts!  I enjoyed the abbreviated show every much!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:02:17 AM by Marilyn »

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 01:04:19 AM »
Amber
« Reply #140 on: December 13, 2003, 02:35:28 AM »   

I already posted my comments in the members corner page and I'm too tired to rewrite them so I just copied and pasted and I added something new too.

Overall, I thought the show was very off.  I didn't enjoy Jessica Simpson purposely saying stupid things.  Personally, it's funnier when she just does it by accident.  Ryan Seacrest was alright, but he was weird tonight too.  Everything was weird!

As far as Triumph goes, I was relieved that he didn't say anything mean about Clay. I was really really surprised. He even had the chance to but he said "no, Clay's put up with enough crap"(or something like that).  The guy from Foo Fighters was actually making some of the meaner jokes.  The rest of Triumph's comments were incredibly mean though and no, I don't think anyone was laughing either. They were more shocked that that little piece of rubber could say such foul things.

As far as the music performances goes, I think everyone was really off that night. Clay was sick and I've seen him do better. He didn't do badly, but I've seen him do better. I was actually impressed that he could sing that well being sick! That just shows true talent right there!  I hope he feels better soon... :  *brings Clay a bowl of chicken noodle soup*  Pink...I thought her song was...interesting..."If God was a DJ", then something about the earth being the dance floor or something like that (sorry, I'm tired). I didn't enjoy her, nor No Doubt, nor Foo Fighters, nor Sting even! And Sting is awesome, but I didn't like him last night. It was weird. Beyonce I thought was okay, but she could've been better too I think. The whole atmosphere on the show was off.

It's Kathy Griffin who introduced Clay and personally I laughed at her comments, because they were so OUT OF CHARACTER for Clay it was almost hilarious. Clay is 25 years old. Atleast she wasn't saying he was gay. I'm sure Clay must have laughed at the comment. And this stuff, I'm sure doesn't surprise his mother. Faye has been through a lot in her life too and I'm sure she must have cracked up also. Also, you have to remember that Clay doesn't take this stuff too seriously! He's said so himself many times! If he did, then he wouldn't make it in this industry. He's had to put up with a lot. This was nothing compared to the crap he's already put up with in his entire life and in the last 5 months! He handles it the same way he handled Jimmy Kimmel, with class.

Since the P*ta issue, I've made myself not take things too seriously. Some of you can say maybe I've made myself too numb. It makes me sad to things that hurt Clay. But this really wasn't bad. I'm just happy that Triumph left Clay alone. That was one thing I was really worried about.

EDIT: I didn't read the other posts before I posted this...

Pamela, I'm happy to hear that Clay cracked up from the comments Kathy made. That means Clay didn't take it too seriously. Good for him.

:   :D I WAS SO PSYCHED WHEN I SAW THAT AMERICAN IDOL 3 COMMERCIAL!  I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES!  And I taped it so I can watch it over and over and over again....heh heh  :D  :D  :D  :D

XXXClay-koiXXX
« Reply #141 on: December 13, 2003, 02:35:41 PM »   

Claymaniacs…

I sent the one before.... which I wrote in anger... b/c of everything with "Triumph"... but, now, after reading what everyone else has said, I have a few more things to say...

First, I have to admit, Clay took everything very well. He's an adult. He can handle it. But I couldn't. Clay is not much short of perfect, he's an angel, but Triumph tried to defile him with all his crude "humor"… but, once again, Clay rose above it all and didn't let it bother him! Go, Clay!

Second, of all, Kathy was HILLARIOUS! It is EXACTLY what us fans needed to intro. Clay! A good joke to remind us of exactly HOW sexy he really is! And Clay found it funny, even added his own touch to it! I guess it's the Sag in him! ^_^

Third, everything involving Clay's dear mom… Faye, the one who brought us our dear Idol… she is NOT naïve… she is a grown women, but I admit, she should NOT have had to deal w/ all of the bad language and crude jokes! She, like Clay, is an adult, who can deal w/ situations like this… even enjoy the funny comments, but this show was aired at a time when young CHILDREN could watch! It was inappropriate!

Fourth, I'd like to agree w/ 2 groups of people… 1: The people who said things about Clay being off-pitch… yeah, he's been sick, and yeah, everyone else sounded that bad, if not worse… and yeah, Clay's recovering… He still took my breath away w/ that voice of his… and I loved every minute of it!     2: The people who said they'd like to nurse Clay back to health! : He's so great, and I'd like to thank him for bringing me that happiness I get listening to his music…

Lastly, commenting on how wonderful Clay is, and how great he was… He rose to the occasion, and dominated the whole time! Congrats, Clay, for being the best you can be, in my mind, the best ever! Keep up the amazing work! You make us fans proud!!! And keep all those awards clean! ^.~

XXX-Clay-koi-XXX

(PS) I read more now... and I also have to say... along w/ what I said before, that refering to the conversation about Ruben's sales and Grammy nomination, it's kinda a shame, but we all know how great CLay is!!

XANADEWD
« Reply #142 on: December 13, 2003, 08:41:44 PM »   

:D Better late than never to post my review of the BMA...what a shame that so many performers really stunk starting with No Doubt, can I say off key - shame on Gwen Stefani (I love this group) from Pink (nasty..loved her on the AMA's, what happen), but Clay was consistent even though he battled illness, not quite his best, but good enough to show how a performance should be without being explicit!!!  Congratulations on your BMA for Best Selling Single!!!

karen28
« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2003, 09:59:35 PM »   

I got the impression, during Clay's performance, that the backup girl singer's microphone wasn't working, so he looked over as if to say,"what's going on?"  He did this a couple of times...maybe that was the facial expressions?  I didn't hear her singing her usual backups...Then, I think Kathy may have told him "Sorry!" or something like that, to which he answered, "It wasn't too bad," to make her feel better, like the class act that he is! (Billboard may have told her to do that intro...) I thought his performance was not the best I've heard when I first heard it on TV;seemed a bit pitchy.  But through the magic of headphones later (I walk the treadmill while watching Clay performing...eases the pain, I actually look forward to exercise now  :) ) he sounded almost perfect!
I like Sting a lot, but didn't like the song he did on the show.  I really like his last (?) album, the one about a rose.  He's not afraid to really stretch at this point in his career; I liked the French in one song, and the far-eastern sound in another song.  Only one I pass over is the C&W one!

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  12/10/03 OFFICIAL BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS THREAD

gfxgfx
gfx