gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229519 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 05:00:56 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  11/20/03 Will Clay Aiken 'Carry' Fans Or Show Them 'The Way'?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 11/20/03 Will Clay Aiken 'Carry' Fans Or Show Them 'The Way'?  (Read 4287 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
caclayfan
  Will Clay Aiken 'Carry' Fans Or Show Them 'The Way'?
« on: November 20, 2003, 10:07:41 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1480535/20031119/index.jhtml?headlines=true

11.19.2003 8:17 PM EST

LOS ANGELES — Clay Aiken knows something about being down to the final two.

This time, though, it's not the "American Idol" title at stake, but the next single from Aiken's Measure of a Man.

"I've liked 'The Way' for a long time, and [now] I'm kind of swaying towards 'I Will Carry You,' " Aiken said at Sunday's American Music Awards, where he won the Fan's Choice Award (see "50 Cent, Luther Vandross Take Home Multiple AMAs; Many Artists Skip Out")."Both of those would be great. I think those are the two front-runners.

"Aiken figured he would know his second single by now, but his record label pushed back the decision until next year.

"We kind of thought 'Invisible' would be done come the end of December, but it seems to continue to climb, so we're gonna ride it for a while," the 24-year-old former Raleigh, North Carolina, student explained. "We won't decide on the second single until we need one.

"Before Measure of a Man shot straight to #1 for two weeks in October (see "Clay Aiken Takes #1 Slot On Billboard Albums Chart"), the crooner was already hyping "The Way," calling it a powerful song.

"It's definitely got some passion and feeling in it, which I think would be a nice contrast to 'Invisible,' " he said of the track, which was penned by Enrique Iglesias and Steve Morales. "It's a love song. It's about if you're in love with someone, you don't really need [a reason] — you just know that you are. You can't say, 'Well, it's because they've got great hair or because of their personality,' you don't really know what it is."

"The Way" is more of an authentic ballad, while "I Will Carry You" is a mid-tempo tune similar to "Invisible," not that the pace matters to Clay.

"I don't really have an affinity for either one. ... I think it's about the song and what it says," Aiken said Sunday. "A lot of the songs I really like are songs you have to emote with and have some feelings with and have a story, and that tends to be ballads. But there's a lot of stuff out there today that's up-tempo and still has a message to it."

Aiken is lining up a tour for next year, and in the meantime he can been seen on the "American Idol Christmas" special airing November 25. The recently released American Idol: The Great Holiday Classics features Aiken singing "The First Noel" and dueting with Kimberley Locke on "Silver Bells."

"The album was something that we wanted to make very traditional," Aiken said, "so we all picked a very traditional Christmas song. ... I think a lot of the Christmas albums that have come out in the past years have not been classic Christmas. They've been pop with Christmas lyrics. And this one really feels like Christmas."

As for Sunday's Fan's Choice Award, Aiken expressed surprise and gratitude but had little planned in terms of celebration. "I'm not a big party person, so I'm sure I'll probably celebrate with my mom on the phone or something like that," he said.

—Corey Moss
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 11/20/03 Will Clay Aiken 'Carry' Fans Or Show Them 'The Way'?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:52:04 AM »
outthereforclay
  The Way all the way!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 01:55:10 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know about you guys, but I definitely would love to see Clay release "The Way" next. I do like the other, but I think it would be wise and wonderful to have him get to be known singing a true love song...It's a beautiful song and he sounds great in it.

The music industry seems to have decided that he's NOT the kind of singer the "public" wants, but I think this love song, with its message and sexy but not lewd delivery, would be just the thing to show his versatility

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 11:52:23 AM »
Claytime
  I want Clay to Carry Me & Show The Way!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 02:03:33 PM »   

Whatever you decide-just keep it coming, Clay!   8)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 11:52:43 AM »
lorilovesgolf
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 02:37:58 PM »   

I definitely think "The Way" should be Clay's next single.  Especially the way the vocals rise toward the end of the song - absolutely spine tingling!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
cjrmax
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 02:48:46 PM »   

I like "The Way" too and between that and "I Will Carry You" and I would vote for it (not that my vote counts!), but given my choice, I would definitely choose "Touch".  That song is a bit different for Clay and I think could help widen his fan base. Its also a song with a good beat, radio friendly and VERY sexy and sensual.  "The Way", while I like it a lot, is a bit schmaltzy, IMO, and I can see it having a hard time getting radio play and that, after all, is the reason they release 2nd and 3rd singles from an album. Its unlikely they will release all subsequent singles for purchase. I just think "The Way" will have a hard time getting radio play, and I think the same is true of "I Will Carry You".

Ironic, as I type this, "Invisible" is playing on the radio!  Its gradually getting a lot more play at least on this one station in Philly!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 11:53:42 AM »
outthereforclay
  Touch me, Touch me not!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 02:55:26 PM »   

Actually, cjrmax, I agree with you that Touch would be the best to release for the reasons you mentioned. But I bet Clay would NOT want Touch to be the one released for the same reasons! :roll

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 11:54:03 AM »
Claytime
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 03:01:21 PM »   

I'm leaning more towards wanting I Will Carry You to be Clay's next single.  When he sang this song on The Early Show, it really moved me.  It has so much meaning behind it - about holding on to hope & faith during trying times   "You should know now that you're not alone, take my heart and you will find your way hoooooome."  When he holds that one note, it's amazing!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 11:54:20 AM »
Claytime
  Re:Touch
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 03:22:27 PM »   

I agree with you outthere- Touch was the critics favorite song & would probably do well on top 40 stations, but I think Clay would want to be recognized more for his other less risque tracks.  I remember him saying that Touch is his least favorite song on his album.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 11:54:46 AM »
cjrmax
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2003, 04:49:16 PM »   

You know, I admire Clay for his morals, but if he thinks "Touch" is risque he really needs to loosen up a bit!  Its only risque if your mind lets it be! Obviously my mind lets it be! And often! Hey, maybe Clay is looser than we think and he KNOWS what people will visualize when they hear that song and THAT'S why he doesn't like it! Anyway, he couldn't think its too bad or it wouldn't be on his album!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 11:55:03 AM »
JJAIKEN
  THE WAY
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2003, 04:56:41 PM »   

I SO AGREE WITH "THE WAY"  I CAN NEVER LISTEN TO IT JUST ONCE.  HAVE TO HIT THE BUTTON BACK TO 3 AND LISTEN TO IT AGAIN.  IT IS PERFECT FOR HIS VOICE.  WILL SOAR.

JJ

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 11:55:24 AM »
Claytime
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2003, 05:37:20 PM »   

cjrmax- I really do like the song Touch and I'm sure Clay does also.  It has a nice rythm and is fun to listen to & sing along with.  I shouldn't have used the word risque.  Sorry.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 11:55:45 AM »
FAITH
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2003, 05:47:37 PM »   

cjrmax,

I agree with both of your comments. Touch would be my choice to release next. It's different, it's catchy, I really like it and Clay could not really have a big problem with it or he would not have included it on his CD in the first place. However, I don't think he will select this one, unfortunately!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 11:56:16 AM »
outthereforclay
  Touch this!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2003, 05:53:40 PM »   

The whole "risque" issue is really a non issue, I think. The song is sexy...and Clay knows it! :D  I also think the beat of the song is unusual and combined with the lyrics and his sultry delivery, it would be a hit and a half!

But ultimately, Clay has to be comfortable with what brings him fame and success. If this is his least favorite song on the album (and I'd love to hear from HIM why this is so! is it REALLY because it has suggestive lyrics or does he just not like the music so much or what?), then I can't imagine that that's the one he would want to make a special effort to promote. (Just think of all the appearances he's made to push Invisible and the number of times he's had to sing itf. If he's truly uncomfortable with the song--for whatever reason--why would he want to make that the one he sings over and over again?

But, once again cjrmax, I have to agree with you on something. I respect Clay for who he is and what he stands for, AND I also think that if he objects to this song purely because of the meaning of the words, he could afford to chill a bit!  ::)
He's got a LONG way to go before he could ever be accused of being lewd or inappropriate in his song choice! :

Personally, I happen to get a tingle when I get to hear him sing words that a normal 25-year old single guy would say to someone he desires, you know? 8)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 11:57:23 AM »
AC<3'sClay
  Next Single: The Way or Touch
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2003, 06:22:36 PM »   

I think it would be great if he released "The Way" or "Touch" ..."The Way" is a beautiful love song (and is my favorite song on the CD cuz it's like how i feel about my Bf *okay no more being mushy* :oops:) that would most likely get alot of requests by loving couples all over!

And "Touch" is a great "Pop" sounding upbeat song and I think Clay sounds really different in this song and not to mention very sexy with out being sleazy or too explicit. I think it kind of shows that Clay can be versatile and can sing all sorts of songs. So "Touch" would probably get good airplay as well. But Either one would be a great choice and I agree that Clay should put out whichever song he likes best and feels most comfortable with. 

But I also agree with outthereforclay about how clay shouldn't feel that the song "Touch" is too lewd or inappropriate.  I think Clay should both stick to his morals but also should not be afraid to branch out, grow, and be flexible and take risks.  I'm not saying he should use explatives or anything but I mean everyone has a "passionate" side to them whether it be to protect someone they love or about a person they care deeply about or about a cause dear to their heart. 

Also I think singers are sometimes similar to actors...they play characters..it doesn't mean he's actually living his songs...he needs to expand his range in order for him to keep his career going. Don't get me wrong i'm not saying he should play "bad guy" characters cuz we all know he's not in any way bad..but Clay is a human being with feelings and he shouldn't be afraid to show his passion or at least explore some of those feelings in his songs and show a little edge (good edge NOT bad rapper-like edge). 

(But just for my own guilty pleasure  8) ; can you imagine what the "Touch" video could look like?!  :  MMMMMm~ *Melting and Fainting and Drooling* hahaha...SHH don't tell my BF  : )

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 11:58:22 AM »
outthereforclay
  making out...I mean making a video
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2003, 06:29:42 PM »   

oh, yeah, been there and done that, girlfriend! In fact, I've even jotted down ideas for videos for Run to Me and Touch!

ooh, wouldn't that be awesome to work with Clay on making a video :oops:

I'd have to have LOTS OF REHEARSALS 8)

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  11/20/03 Will Clay Aiken 'Carry' Fans Or Show Them 'The Way'?

gfxgfx
gfx