gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229512 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 06:20:12 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  11/18/03 CLAY AIKEN - FANS' CHOICE!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 11/18/03 CLAY AIKEN - FANS' CHOICE!  (Read 4539 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
11/18/03 CLAY AIKEN - FANS' CHOICE!
« on: May 15, 2010, 11:37:46 AM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
CLAY AIKEN - FANS' CHOICE!
« on: November 18, 2003, 11:30:19 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clay Aiken – Fans’ Choice!
by Donna Reynolds -- 11/17/2003

Last night was a good night for American Idol fans, as Clay Aiken became the first Idol alumnus to win an industry award. But even as he picked up the trophy as the Fans’ Choice Award at the 31st annual American Music Awards, skeptics were already pointing out that it “only” came as the result of yet another email campaign by Clay’s ardent fans. Granted, the voting for this award was wide open and unlimited but still, for those of us who cover these shows and have watched the participants develop as performers, it was gratifying to finally see an Idol acknowledged in another venue.

True to form, host Jimmy Kimmel quickly singled out Clay and Ruben in his opening monologue. Pointing out famous couples in the audience, he cracked that this might be the last time that Clay and Ruben would have to “pretend to like each other.” Seated together, they appeared to laugh it off as Kimmel shifted his focus to Kid Rock and Pamela Anderson, who seem to have reconciled.

And Kimmel didn’t let up when he introduced Clay and Ruben’s performance, calling them “Spaghetti and Meatball.” In their first performance before an industry audience, they each started off solo, Clay doing a condensed version of “Invisible” and Ruben reprieving “Superstar.”

Despite admitting to being extremely nervous, Clay seemed completely comfortable onstage, demonstrating his charisma and once again eliciting screeches from the audience. Ruben, who has been mostly out of the public eye since the media blitz following the end of the show, seemed a bit tenuous but loosened up by the end of the song. Together, they wound up with a powerful gospel number, complete with a choir as backup. Once again, their camaraderie was apparent and they finished up with smiles and “daps.”

Clay’s award came later in the broadcast and he appeared to be genuinely surprised at the announcement. He seemed momentarily stunned and then, after kissing his date for the evening, he was able to collect himself and take the stage to accept the award. Noting that he “wasn’t used to winning” and that he was “used to coming in second,” Clay thanked Clive Davis, Simon Fuller, his Mom and especially his fans.

Fellow Idol runner-up and friend, Kimberley Locke, stood cheering as Clay finished up his acceptance speech. The camera also found Paula Abdul, who appeared to be in tears as she watched like a proud mother.

Clay did not win the “Best Pop Artist” award, which went to Kid Rock. Certainly though, being nominated in two categories is significant and helps all the performers who are products of these shows to overcome the continuing stigma. As Clay, Ruben, Kelly, and others distance themselves more and more from American Idol and move into the mainstream, they are attracting fans who will appreciate them as artists, not simply former contestants on American Idol.

Coming on the heels of his album going platinum and in advance of the December 9 release of his second single, “Invisible,” (with “Solitaire” as the B-side) this award was particularly sweet. From his first appearance on Idol, Clay has been the brunt of harsh criticism and this hasn’t diminished despite his success.

The recent PETA campaign mocking Clay and his fear of cats was particularly hurtful and winning this award had to help counteract that sting, at least a little.

Fans are convinced that this is the first of many such awards for Clay and, watching him as he graciously accepted the statue, it appears as though he is certainly feeling more comfortable in the role of pop star. Of course, the real test will come at next year’s Grammy ceremony where Clay will certainly be nominated as Best New Artist. Will an Idol finally be acknowledged as a legitimate artist? Can Clay overcome the stigma of being a “manufactured” pop star and finally step out of the shadow of American Idol?

There will be no shortage of exposure for Clay in the coming weeks. Along with the American Idol holiday special being aired November 25, Clay has also finished taping a special for Nick at Nite in which he appears with Martin Mull, John Schneider, and Ted Danson. He will also be doing a “duet” with Bing Crosby on the show. He is serving as Grand Marshall for the 59th Annual Raleigh Christmas Parade this Saturday and will perform in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on the 27th. Not bad for a runner-up!

FOXES ON IDOL

Note:  RCA now states the new single will be released December 16
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 11/18/03 CLAY AIKEN - FANS' CHOICE!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »
jj
  Clay and His talent
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 11:02:28 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really don't understand why people can't get over the American Idol thing and just look at Clay for his talent. He has a remarkable voice that has gotten him where he is. I truly believe they cannot believe a clean, Christian, young man from the south can make it in the Pop music world. Seeing some of the other so called talent on the AMA's made me appreciate Clay even more. His fans will keep on pulling for him and buying his cds. I can't wait for a concert with just Clay.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 11:40:51 AM »
GWENN
FAN CHOICE AWARDS
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 11:49:36 AM »   

I CANNOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE ON EVERYTHING YOU HAVE SAID.  IT IS REALLY GETTING ANNOYING THAT PEOPLE CANNOT SEE THE SIMPLE FACT THAT CLAY HAS A TON OF TALENT.  HOW CAN YOU COMPARE HIS VOICE WITH KID ROCK?  OR ALMOST ANY OF THE OTHERS ON THE AMA'S.  WE NEED TO LET CLAY KNOW HOW MUCH WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO A CONCERT WITH JUST HIM OR MAYBE HIM AND AN OPENING ACT.  CAN YOU IMAGINE?

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 11:41:18 AM »
Franny
Clay Aikens Fans Choice
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 11:57:55 AM »   

I'm still a newbie, as far as post are concerned. But I've been reading all of the different posts on this board for about a month now and it such an amazing site. it is the best. I really liked the article written on Clay by Donna Reynolds for Foxes Idols. I think that it sends a very positive message that Clay is on his way to having having a huge impact in the music industry as it evolves and changes for the better in the years to come. Case in point, Clay will be visiting TRL and will sing Invisible, I can't wait and I think that they really seem to be warming up to him. And who wouldn't, when given the chance to experience the uniqueness of Clay, you can't help but love him.

I would like to share with you the email that I sent to Ms. Reynolds

Dear Ms. Reynolds:

As a Clay Aiken's fan your article about Clay touched my heart.  It is so difficult for any artist to break into the music industry, unless they have something special going for them. I would have to say that what is special about Clay is his charisma. He has it. That being the ability to garner a multitude of fans who have played a major role in promoting the success he has had since American Idol. I just know that nice things happen to nice people and because of Clay Aiken I have renewed my interest in music, and my vibes tell me that he is not only a rising star in the industry but will be for many years to come.

Respectfully,

Franny

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 11:42:28 AM »
grammaof6
Fan's Choice
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 12:16:30 PM »   

But even as he picked up the trophy as the Fans’ Choice Award at the 31st annual American Music Awards, skeptics were already pointing out that it “only” came as the result of yet another email campaign by Clay’s ardent fans.

A little jealousy rearing it's ugly head here? How many "stars" would love to have the fan base that Clay does? After all, who spends the $ on CD's, videos & concerts? What's more important, a hollow award given by a sleasy industry, based on "edge" or how tacky you can be,  or an award voted on by your fans because they love & admire you? I keep thinking the music industry will wake up, but they just don't get it, do they?

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »
Gwyneth
  Re: the Fan's Choice Award
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 02:34:17 PM »   

Ditto, ditto and ditto!  I'm just so SICK of this 'manufactured' stuff.  If Clay hadn't had the voice - and WHAT a voice - he would never have got anywhere near the finals. 

If they'd only listen to him!  How many of them can vary a melody at whim and on perfect pitch?  No, once a song is cut, most of them sing it exactly the same way every time.  Not Clay.  And how many can hold a note forever?  I've given up trying to count the bars on that one note (without even a breath right before it?) Sunday night.  Most of them would have passed out.

Still, they were there.  Stuck.  Forced to listen.  And what happened?  A standing ovation.  Don't tell me that long note wasn't a huge part of that tribute.

Just keep singing, Clay.  It's going to take a little time.  But how many of them can say that BILLBOARD called their album, "The best pop album of the year"?  It's slow, but the recognition IS coming.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 11:44:22 AM »
FAITH
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 03:37:31 PM »   

But even as he picked up the trophy as the Fans’ Choice Award at the 31st annual American Music Awards, skeptics were already pointing out that it “only” came as the result of yet another email campaign by Clay’s ardent fans. 

Does not the music industry and all of their artists aspire to having an ardent fan base?? It's ironic that the rules appear to change when it involves Clay!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 11:44:48 AM »
cjrmax
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 04:12:34 PM »   

Faith - Of course they all long for an ardent fan base!  Isn't that the whole idea behind the AMAs? The FANS choose the winners.  And, to honor the fans, they even have a FAN's choice award!  Its all about the fans! And as far as the Fan's Choice Award goes, every nominee's fans had the same opportunity to vote as Clay's fans did! I feel as if what they are trying to say is that the fan's opinion counts - unless you're a Clay Aiken fan!  Wrong!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »
Anita
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 04:48:48 PM »   

I agree with all of you.  The recording industry and media have a very hard time accepting or promoting Clay.  His voice is sooooo good and he presents himself with so much class.
I think they are in a bad spot because to promote Clay is to say the garbage they have been pushing is not what people want to here. We Clay fans are giving the record industy and media a headache!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 11:45:48 AM »
FAITH
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 06:45:49 PM »   

So now let's review. The 'critics' are not supportive of Clay because:

1) he has a huge, enthusiatic fan base

2) his fan base is so appreciative of his talent and his persona that they bother to do things like vote and send e-mails and actually have the nerve to be supportive

2) he dared to introduce and showcase his talent on a television show...naughty, naughty,

3) He did not have to rely on a large, glitzy, expensive PR campaign to promote him or manufacture him, because so many were enthralled with his voice...shame on him

4) he had the gall to sell over a million cds in almost three weeks

3) he does not yet write his own material (what percentage of artists, new or experienced, do?)

4) the material on his CD is not edgy enough although the supposed experts wrote it, Clay just sang it and sang it so well

In conclusion, if only Clay could learn to lip sync, dance, bare his bod, then at least he will get a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

Just wait till the official sales ranking are released this week. I am sure that the 'critics' will be pointing out his significant drops in sales. Of course they will forget the fact that those who appreciate his talent were in the stores on day one or week 2 etc......could not wait for a few weeks or months to get around to buying a cd that they liked.

Clay is here to stay and so are we!!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 11:46:45 AM »
tiff
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 07:02:02 PM »   

it doesn't make sense for clay to be "manufactured" because when we first saw him on American Idol, he had the exact same personality as he does now.  So there's no way that clay was "made up".  I think people are just looking for things about clay to pick on him with, and when they can't find anything, they just make things up.  But us fans all know clay's just amazing.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 11:47:03 AM »
thanku_clay
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 10:55:37 PM »   

FAITH.

Could not have said it better!!!!!!!!!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 11:47:21 AM »
clayluvr825
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 11:40:00 PM »   

Ha Ha!  Kid Rock? What a joke!  The guy had to date Pam Anderson to get in the spotlight.  Pulleaze!  Take a shower dude!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 11:47:49 AM »
lachase
  music industry should be open to variety
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2003, 01:39:29 PM »   

:D    I think that Clay has devoted fans, and has been having huge sales proves that there is a large market of people out there wanting something besides the music industry's contrived pop and rap lookalikes.  That is the irony, that Clay, obviously gifted musically, doesn't fit their image and it seemed to me that, particularly Simon, tried so hard to lead people not to vote for him with the snide comments.  It didn't work!   It is refreshing to have someone producing a quality product who is more like the "normal" person on the street , who is a positive role model as well as mega-talented.  It baffles me why media seems to embrace the crass and the vulgar and almost has disdain for someone who is refreshingly positive and "pure". But, there is power in numbers and that has been proven by Clay's sales. Hopefully, the industry will wake up and see that there is room for variety.  Go Clay!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 11:48:07 AM »
reeree
  clay is above the rest....
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2003, 08:31:01 PM »   

hello, fellow claymaniacs, although clay would in a polite way say he's not but, believe me he stands for more good things, than kid rock ever thought about, ok! enough about that.. I am soooo... looking forward to clays new single with solitare, it  was just one song that sold me on his talent all the rest  just fell in place, I to can't wait til he's on tour... all the girls at work have offically titled me a clay groupie... an i'm 39  whatever the age he's got talent , sincerity, and a charming wit not found often.. keep the tunes coming clay!!!   love ya  ree ree

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  11/18/03 CLAY AIKEN - FANS' CHOICE!

gfxgfx
gfx