gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229519 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 02:59:41 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  11/14/03 CLAY GETS LITTLE AIRPLAY
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 11/14/03 CLAY GETS LITTLE AIRPLAY  (Read 2298 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
11/14/03 CLAY GETS LITTLE AIRPLAY
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:59:23 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
CLAY GETS LITTLE AIRPLAY
« on: November 14, 2003, 10:03:55 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clay gets little airplay
By DAVID MENCONI, Staff Writer
New & Observer, Raleigh, NC

Raleigh pop star Clay Aiken is anything but invisible nowadays, despite the title of his current single. Yet there's one place where his profile is lower than you'd expect: the Billboard singles chart.

Aiken's "Measure of a Man" is riding high at No. 8 on Billboard's album-sales chart after a month in stores. But "Invisible" is only now debuting on Billboard's "Hot 100" singles chart, bowing at a comparatively modest No. 57 in the Nov. 22 issue.

Billboard's singles chart is based on both sales and airplay, and thus far Aiken has been more of a sales phenomenon than an airplay one. During the summer, his "This Is the Night" single got little airplay despite selling more than 1 million copies.

"Invisible" is in power rotation on the Triangle's top-40 station, G-105 (WDCG, 105.1-FM). But elsewhere in the country, the song has yet to make much impact on mainstream stations. Bob Burke, vice president and managing director of the Friday Morning Quarterback radio tip sheet, says the "American Idol" star might still carry a stigma for radio programmers.

"Everyone heard Clay Aiken for the first time and thought he was the dorky guy who should be on Broadway," Burke says. "But radio needs Clay Aiken, as the next George Michael or Ricky Martin-type pure-pop mainstream male artist. Top 40 right now is all hip-hop, R&B or pop-rock bands -- Fountains of Wayne, Three Doors Down, Matchbox 20. It's tough because we're in a hip-hop world right now. When you battle records on the radio at night, Clay Aiken up against 50 Cent. You just can't do it."
Sean Ross, vice president of music and programming for Edison Media Research, also cites Aiken's style. which is not really in sync with the hip-hop flavor of contemporary pop radio.

"Both the singles he has done are unusual records from what you're hearing on radio in 2003," Ross says. "Either could have been made 20 years ago, and he's an act some people regard as a teen idol making records that are very 'adult.' Sometimes that works out great, but sometimes you get resistance. Some top-40 program directors just can't hear that record in between Beyonce and Fountains of Wayne. Some probably don't want to play it because it's too teeny-bopper. It's sort of a throwback to Donny Osmond in the early '70s, remaking 'Hey Girl' and 'Puppy Love.'"

Still, it's early in the promotional cycle, and Aiken has network television appearances on the American Music Awards (8 p.m. Sunday on ABC) and the "American Idol" Christmas special (8 p.m. Nov. 25 on Fox). "Invisible" still has time to catch on.

"Wait until Christmas break when everything shuts down for a few weeks at the end of the year," Burke says. "There always seems to be a record that either raises its head, or survives. That's one that could go into next year. Radio needs to find a balance because you can't play hip-hop and R&B all the time, and there's nothing else out there."

LINK

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 11/14/03 CLAY GETS LITTLE AIRPLAY
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:00:27 AM »
sysout
  CLAY GETS LITTLE AIRPLAY
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 01:31:10 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: Since Clay isn't being played much on any radio stations in my area (rural Virginia), I'm "forced" to listen to his CD over and over.   :

Excuse me, but has no one heard "Perfect Day"?  It rocks!   8)

Report to moderator    Logged 

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:00:51 AM »
ncfan
  CLAY GETS LITTLE AIRPLAY
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 02:43:28 PM »   

Has anyone told the advertisers that the stations are losing listeners because of their failure to play Clay?

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:01:18 AM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
CLAY GETS LITTLE AIRPLAY
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 05:01:34 PM »   

Excuse me, but has no one heard "Perfect Day"? It rocks!

I love Perfect Day.  It always lifts me up.  And my favorite is Shiii-Ine!
Another lifter upper.   'Hey butterfly open up your weary eyes...and realize...it's a trip we're taking!'

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:01:54 AM »
jasper
  Finally Clay hit Northern Ohio
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 06:02:05 PM »   

Finally,

I live in Northern Ohio, and have heard "invisible" on the radio a few times in the past day or so.  This could mean good things are about to hit Clay.  I have never once heard any Clay music on my radio stations ever.  Now MOAM has been out for a month and sales go through the roof and stay extremely strong through the 4th week and I start to hear Clay on the radio.  This is an accomplishment in my mind and I hope that since the Holiday season is coming near to us all, that radio stations tone down their rap and alternative and move onto Adult Contemp. and pop and Clay can move on in to the radio play world.  -Jasper

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  11/14/03 CLAY GETS LITTLE AIRPLAY

gfxgfx
gfx