gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229857 Posts in 2575 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay April 18, 2024, 07:26:09 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  11/7/03 FANS OF CLAY AIKEN TAKE ISSUE WITH REVIEW OF CD
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 11/7/03 FANS OF CLAY AIKEN TAKE ISSUE WITH REVIEW OF CD  (Read 5179 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
FANS OF CLAY AIKEN TAKE ISSUE WITH REVIEW OF CD
« on: November 07, 2003, 04:20:56 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fans of Clay Aiken take issue with review of CD
By JEFF MIERS
News Pop Music Critic
11/7/2003

Last Friday, my review of Clay Aiken's debut disc, "Measure of a Man," ran in Gusto. By Saturday morning, my e-mailbox was stuffed to the brim with angry responses that had been sent from posts, quite literally, from sea to shining sea.

Whether the letter came from Moreno Valley, Calif.; Atlanta; or somewhere in Western New York, it boiled down to a common thematic core, which might be paraphrased thus: "Clay Aiken is such a nice guy and a great role model! How dare you?"

I've always admired fans who passionately defend the honor of their favorite musician/artist; there's something noble in such endeavors. I've written these sorts of letters myself.

The Aiken responses left me aching, though, for they were of an entirely different stripe. "American Idol," the show that launched Aiken directly from anonymity to superstardom, has sent a very real message to all of us who care about music, whether passionately or passingly; "we can build him; we have the technology," goes the ominous voice-over. What this says about modern-day popular music is complex, but at the very least, it should raise a red flag.

The bait here, in Aiken's case, was selling his nice-guy personality to tube-obsessed Americans, who rabidly devoured the serial-singer's celebrity makeover and noted that he was "a sweet guy" who "loves his parents" and "doesn't use profanity in his songs." (That Aiken has never performed a song that is actually "his" seemed to faze no one.)

The fish who took the bait are the several million who have already laid down in the area of $20 for Aiken's ode to raging bourgeois mediocrity, "Measure of a Man."

Not one of the letters I received challenged my review on musical grounds. All employed either ideological, social or personal criticism to dress me down for dissing the latest of America's sweethearts. This absolutely terrified me - not a particularly challenging task on the best of days, but one even more easily achieved given the sheer emotional heft of these responses.

A few of the points raised by the self-proclaimed "Claymates" bear further scrutiny.  A popular notion appearing in more than half of the letters suggested that criticizing Aiken's album meant that I "was full of hate," "must be overly stressed" or that, indeed, I was so venomous that "the world would be a much better place without (me) in it."
This is disturbing for many reasons, but the real crux of the biscuit is the reactionary nature of those who have fallen under "American Idol's" spell: Either buy into the cult of Clay's personality, as delineated by this most cynical of talent contests, or you're a big, fat hater.

Most of the letters pointed out that I was "completely out of touch with most Americans" (some days that would seem a compliment) and embraced the fact that millions have now purchased "Measure of a Man" as proof that my anti-Aiken sentiments were "totally wrong," "insane" and the like.

Criticism on the musical merits of an artist's work, one hopes, should have nothing to do with public opinion. Let's not forget that Pat Boone and Fabian were both once immensely popular. So was Milli Vanilli. Didn't make 'em any good. And Aiken's sales don't excuse the sappy pap he revels in either.

My personal favorite - and it was truly amazing how consistent the Claymates were, despite the fact they were writing from different corners of the country - involved the suggestion that raining on the Clay parade implies a love for "all the hateful, angry, profanity-laced ugliness" currently filling the popular music landscape. Aiken is "someone my kids can listen to without me having to worry about it," went the mantra.

These are our choices? Aiken or Eminem? Last I checked, there was plenty of wonderful music populating the space in between, like tumbleweeds rolling unnoticed through a ghost town.

The "black or white" reactionary thing is a bit unsettling. The choices out there are plentiful. Parents can find a plethora of sounds, both within and without the mainstream, which will do no more harm to their children than to perhaps encourage their imagination, or suggest that critical thinking is a good thing. (God forbid they are actually inspired to pick up an instrument and - gasp! - learn how to play it, rather than opting for the coward's way out - the "I won the lottery!" nature of instant-fame game shows.)

If you love Clay Aiken's music, if you find his clean-cut pop stylings moving, if he floats your musical boat, more power to you. But if you believe that being a "nice kid with good values" and a white-bread glorified karaoke stylist makes you a worthwhile musical  artist . . . well, I just can't go there with you.

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 11/7/03 FANS OF CLAY AIKEN TAKE ISSUE WITH REVIEW OF CD
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 11:31:13 PM »
cjrmax
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 04:59:07 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe we should flood his e-mail box with letters that point out how wrong he was about MOAM musically!  Of course I haven't read his review but I can imagine what it said!  He does seem to have one good point.  We here have complained that so many of the reviewers attacked Clay on a personal level not really discussing his cd from a musical level.  Yet here his fans pounced on him defending Clay purely on a personal level.  Assuming he didn't attack Clay personally in his review this wasn't smart.  It just sort of plays into the Clay fan stereotype.  If we disagree with someone's assessment of MOAM from a musical point of view, then that's what we should tell the reviewer. We should not be fixating on what a great guy Clay is, for that's not the point.  On the other hand, if someone attacks Clay on a personal level then the defense can come from that angle.  I guess we all have to ask ourselves, do we like MOAM for its musical attributes or for the personal attributes of Clay?

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:32:36 PM »
Pamela
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 10:28:40 PM »   

Here is Jeff Miers review that brought on the storm of posts 'from sea to shining sea.'

Pop
Clay Aiken
Measure of a Man
[RCA]

Nine months ago, Clay Aiken was an unknown, one of hundreds auditioning for the dubious honor of performing on "American Idol." Nine months from now, he'll likely be looking for work. The obsessions of the American public are that fickle; anyone know what most of the Backstreet Boys are up to these days?

"Measure of a Man" is flawed in every way it possibly could be. The concept - a talent contest that yields a record contract and a ready-made star - is abhorrent to anyone who takes music, even pop music, seriously as an art form. And Aiken has about as much personality as a slice of Wonder bread. He sings in tune. And that's about the best that can be said of him.

The songs are the final nails in this creepy karaoke confectionary coffin. Aiken, not surprisingly, had no hand in the composition of a single one of them. Instead, we get schlockmeisters like Desmond Child and Aldo Nova, two writers who give new meaning to the term cheesy.

The mega-success of this waste of plastic is an embarrassment to artists who struggle in service of a personalized art form. Aiken may be cost-effective, but we'd do well to make sure he stays the exception rather than the rule.

- Jeff Miers

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 11:33:35 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 10:35:13 PM »   

Not one of the letters I received challenged my review on musical grounds. All employed either ideological, social or personal criticism to dress me down for dissing the latest of America's sweethearts. This absolutely terrified me - not a particularly challenging task on the best of days, but one even more easily achieved given the sheer emotional heft of these responses.

Well, considering that his review was based on his own ideological, social or personal criticism of Clay as a person who is invalid as an artist because he perfomed, but didn't even win, a TV talent contest, and not any musical aspects of the singer or the songs, what did he expect?

He said 'Clay sings in tune,' and the songs are cheesy.  I don't see how this addresses any of the musical merit of Clay's talent or the CD itself. This is not a review, this is an op-ed piece.

What a hypocrite.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 11:34:27 PM »
outthereforclay
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 11:08:24 PM »   

Pamela, once again, you've eloquently and succinctly captured the truth!
I went back to read his original review and was either laughing hysterically at his ludicrous assessments (i.e. "And Aiken has about as much personality as a slice of Wonder Bread." : ) or smirking as I read other "prophetic" announcements --"Nine months he will probably looking for work."  :P

Now the first, for anyone who has watched him sing, heard him talk in interviews, or heard any of the interviews about him with his friends--this is so absurd, I can only surmise that Mr. Miers was late for his column deadline and grabbed a line from his own autobiography to fill the space.

The second attempt at profundity only makes me want to smirk because Clay himself has said that he wants to "ride this out until its over and then lay it down" if that's what is meant to be. Then he'll turn to his other passion and gift--teaching.

Let's see...shall we all create a new thread of predictions of where some of today's "hot" artists would be nine months from now if their "star" suddenly burned out?  Eminem? Outkast? 50 Cent? ... :roll:

By the way, anybody know who this Jeff Miers is anyway? What are his credentials? By what arduous path did he reach his lofty journalistic status?

Oh, I think I'll just listen to MOAM again...It is so lacking in feeling, personality and talent, it can help me get some needed sleep.  : (Hey, but at least it's in tune, right?: )

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:35:12 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 11:42:11 PM »   

Oh, I think I'll just listen to MOAM again...It is so lacking in feeling, personality and talent, it can help me get some needed sleep.  (Hey, but at least it's in tune, right?)

outthere, HA!   :

Hey, this review is making me hungry.  White bread, cheese...mmm.
Pass the Krispy Kremes please. :

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 11:35:58 PM »
sjmcdona
  Agghhhhh..
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2003, 12:51:16 PM »   

All I can say is, since ignorance is bliss, Jeff Meirs must be one of the happiest people on earth!  Ignore him Clay, he is a bonifide idiot not worth a second thought!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 11:36:22 PM »
cjrmax
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2003, 11:58:26 PM »   

My question is did he even listen to the cd?  Or did he just read the liner notes so he could name 2 or the songwriters because mentioning them is as close as he got to mentioning Clay's music!

Pamela's right.  This isn't a review.  Its an op-ed piece. Its more of an indictment of AI and shows like it than of Clay and his music.  I don't get why so many loathe shows like AI.  Who cares if they didn't struggle in the trenches for years before making it.  They still had to work.  They had to be humiliated on national tv. And considering the people deciding who won or lost are the same people who buy cds, why shouldn't they have a say in who gets to record those cds?  We've already mentioned how many of the so-called legitimate singers have tv to thank for their careers. I don't get what the big deal is. There are probably many extremely talented singers out there who will never get their shot, who will struggle waiting tables, etc. and never catch the break they need.  Meanwhile some with questionable talent get "discovered" in what is considered an acceptable manner and make it big.  We all know how many singers out there have marginal voices at best but are very successful. 

And what's the big deal about writing your own songs!  I truly do not know if Justin Timberlake writes his songs or not but if I wrote "Rock Your Body" or "Senorita" I don't think I would want to admit to it!  (Apologies to all Justin Timberlake fans.  I just don't like him nor do I think he's very talented, but that's just me!).  Even the Beatles in their early years sang songs they did not write.  Did Elvis write his music or does Britney Spears (Its a legit question. I really don't know!)?  I bet there are others who don't write their music, or at least most of it.  And some get a song writing credit when they contribute a word or note or two!  My gosh, Rod Stewart has a hit album out now of all covers!  He hasn't sung an original song in years!  Granted he is already an established star, but I don't read anyone saying his album is no good because he didn't write his own music!  Clay is a singer.  Why is he less of a singer if he doesn't write his own music?  It doesn't make any sense.

I find it very nervy of this guy (whoever he is - what are his credentials anyway?) to criticize Clay's fans for defending Clay on a personal basis and never mentioning his musical prowess when he did the same thing in his "review"!  This may be the worse, and least intelligent, review I have read yet!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 11:37:34 PM »
mcraig2
 Hmm.....
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 03:08:55 AM »   

Wonder how many songs this guy has written...oh, and...can he even sing at all????????  hahaha

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 11:37:56 PM »
mcraig2
Oh...and...
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2003, 03:09:50 AM »   

I'm betting he can't read a note of music either.  So, I guess we should respect his opinion...NOT!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 11:38:24 PM »
playingclay
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2003, 05:04:46 PM »   

It does make me wonder what this guy's definition of a  good "personality"is.  Hum....maybe someone who swears every second word, someone who puts down other people, someone who is so full of himself and the whole "I'm a star persona," someone who is on drugs or booze or rehab, someone without  respect for other people and who puts down people in attempt to build himself up, someone with a me first attitude.. the list can go on and on... :x

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 11:38:44 PM »
Clayomyheart
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2003, 08:24:50 AM »   

This guy is such an idiot, that I 'm reluctant to even respond.  His ignorance and lack of objectivity compel me to, however.  What are his credentiials to be a "critic"?  He is mostly bashing the show, as if anyone who competes in a talent competition should be automatically disqualified from the category of musical artist.  What planet has he been on?  Most aspiring artists dream of winning talent competitions so that they can get exposure.  Most of them enter talent competitions.  By his litmus test, we would have to elimimate Justin Timberlake, Brittany Spears (o.k. I wouldn't mind eliminating these two), Gladys Knight, Beyonce Knowles, the Beatles and FRANK SINATRA.  Yes, old Blue Eyes himself entered and won a talent contest!  Imagine that?  I surmise that old Jeff Miers would discount even Frank Sinatra himself!

As for writing his own songs, puhlease!  That is the stupidest thing I ever heard.  Clay may possess writing ability, but with a voice and delivery like his, I don't care if he ever writes a song.  His talent in expressing a song is immense, and that is enough for me.  To mention old Blue Eyes again, how many of his songs did he write?  How about Pavarotti? Even Billie Holliday, Aretha Franklin and Nat King Cole didn't write the majority of their songs.  Should we discount their musical, artistic contributions?  One of my favorite vocalists, the late Eva Cassidy didn't write her own songs.  She simply interpreted the songs in her beautiful and haunting way.  Does that make her any less an artist?

This "critic" whines that the big, bad Clay fan bullies attacked him personnally.  What did he expect when he is attacking the personal merits of Clay Aiken.  Nothing in his article suggests he even listened to the CD. 

All that being said, I do think we Clay fans should just (mostly) ignore these types of attacks.  By responding to this guy in writing, I'm not sure we are helping Clay.  Some people will never get him, and will always bash him and no matter how much we protest they won't change their minds.    Some people don't honestly like his style of music and that is fine, too.  People are entitled to their opinions.  I don't like plenty of the music out there.  Does that make me hateful?  We need to take a page from Clay's book of graciousness, and consider the source, have faith in our convictions and musical tastes, and laugh a little.  Long after these naysayers are gone, OMC will be around.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 11:39:57 PM »
caramel131
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2003, 03:22:17 PM »   

This guy is such a moron.  Apparently he did not think before writing.  If I can remember correctly, The Jackson 5 and the Temptations both came from talent show backgrounds.  And both groups enjoyed long careers.   I am sure there are many other artists who came from talent show backgrounds that we are not aware of.  Clay never professed to be a songwriter nor singer.  He stated he had done it as a hobby.  Because he did not make the struggle, does not discredit him as a singer.  I thought to be a great singer, you must be able to sing in tune and in key.  Otherwise, we all could bear the label as a singer.  There are plenty of singers (and I use the word "singer" loosely) that are merely studio artists and not real singers and they are making plenty of money doing it.  How many singers have you heard sing on talk shows and sound horrible.  Clay is the first singer that I have heard sing live on a talk show that sounds good.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 11:40:35 PM »
kirkland
  A Response to Jeff Miers
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2003, 07:39:39 PM »   

Your initial review of MOAM was more a poorly composed personal attack on Clay Aiken and AI then a professional critique of Clay's talent and music composition. It did serve your purpose -- by publishing this piece of literary garbage you gained national attention from his fans, albeit negative attention.  Very calculated.  A professional critique, however, does not include statements such as, "The songs are the final nails in this creepy karaoke confectionary coffin" or "Aiken has about as much personality as a slice of Wonder bread".  It makes you wonder if you moonlight as a baker.  A true critique would analyze Clay's vocal abilities and music composition.  Your review is exactly what you criticize his fans for doing -- personal attacks. Your recent article is further confirmation that your literary talent is as sorry as your knowledge of music.  Go back to baking Jeff – you might do that a bit better.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 11:41:22 PM »
mcraig2
 ROFL....
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2003, 08:25:41 PM »   

TOO funny!!!

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  11/7/03 FANS OF CLAY AIKEN TAKE ISSUE WITH REVIEW OF CD

gfxgfx
gfx