gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229883 Posts in 2575 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay April 20, 2024, 07:40:33 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  11/05/03 TAKING ON CLAY'S CRITICS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 11/05/03 TAKING ON CLAY'S CRITICS  (Read 3249 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
11/05/03 TAKING ON CLAY'S CRITICS
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:03:56 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
TAKING ON CLAY'S CRITICS
« on: November 05, 2003, 04:33:37 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taking On Clay’s Critics
by Candace Golden -- 11/5/2003

Clay’s premiere album, Measure of a Man, has had huge sales but poor response from the critics. What is their problem? What do they want out of him? Candace takes a look.

Can a million people be that wrong?
Oh, I forgot. The astonishing sales for Clay Aiken's debut CD, Measure of A Man, is all because his crazed internet fans bought multiple copies and are using them as coasters and ornaments. At least that’s what some people would have you believe.

I can see it now. Someone, somewhere in the media will put a negative spin on the fact that Clay "only" sold 200,000+ CDs the second week and came in “third” this last week (in a virtual tie with less than a thousand albums separating the first place sales and Clay's third place sales of over 140,000). Never mind that most artists only dream of any week like that. Forget that RCA felt assured enough to ship double platinum. The "poor" sales must mean that the critics are right. No one wants this kind of music. It is bland, it is vanilla, it is formulaic and the people can't really like it, can they?

Do you get the feeling that, in a way, Clay can't win?

About two-thirds of the "critical" reviews of Clay's debut CD were negative. Some were actually scathing. Of course, that can happen to anyone but it would be easier to accept if more of these so-called critics had actually bothered to listen to the whole CD without preconceptions. Some of the critics actually came out and admitted they did not listen to the whole thing and others showed us this by their off-the-mark (and often, the wall) critiques. Whatever happened to good old fashioned constructive criticism?

No, I never expected everyone to love Clay's CD. Newsflash, people, but there has yet to be anyone who is all that musically to all people. I loved the Beatles, was not crazy about Elvis, could never stand Jimi Hendrix but can appreciate his influence on the rock that I DID love. What I did expect, or at least hope for, were fair appraisals of the musical merits of the CD and the singer, not the prejudice that was often evident because the singer happened to be discovered on a national talent show.

I forgot. He didn't "win." Is that what bothers these critics so much?

Perhaps it is because they feel he didn't pay his "musical" dues. He didn't struggle to make it while waiting tables or going without. Does that make him any less talented?

Clay was given an opportunity to take a "shortcut" but it wasn't exactly a free ride. For all those artists who worked hard and auditioned a million times facing rejection, Clay faced rejection in front of 25 million people. He had to earn his right to stay in the game. Can you really imagine how it must feel to be called "ugly" in front of a national television audience (which along with being untrue had absolutely nothing to do with anything)? How many people would refuse the lottery because they hadn't "worked" for it? Would you really expect them to say, "Sorry, but I prefer to toil in the trenches."

To be fair, some of the less-than favorable-reviews focus on the songs on the CD rather than the voice. Okay, what is wrong with the songs? They all sound the same? No. They don't. Some have similar themes but if you really listen, they don't all sound the same. They are formulaic pop music. Say what? I haven't heard these types of songs in a long time – they certainly aren't on the radio. I have listened to all the songs a number of times and do not find myself saying, "That sounds just like…"

If you are going to criticize the songs on the CD, then it is also not entirely fair to drag Clay into it. He didn't write the songs. It sounds like the most input he was allowed to have was to say he only wanted to sing songs he was comfortable with. He had to get his foot in the door.

Face it. It didn't really matter what kind of CD he put out anyway.

If Clay sang songs that had more of the "edge" that some reviewers figured he should have, then they would have said he was a hypocrite.
If Clay sang covers of songs then the critics would have blasted him for that too. He was already being labeled as "too Broadway" and "Karaoke." A lot of fans would have loved to see a CD of covers simply because Clay has the gift of singing practically any song and making it his own – often even better than the original artist.

Those critics who decry Clay's style as Karaoke need to look closer at themselves. As someone has put it, when "reviewing" Clay's CD, they are often parroting the same trite putdowns – they are in essence committing journalistic Kararoke.

Okay, critics – what would you have Clay sing? Is it his singing ability or the "pop music" genre that you are so against? The pop music on this CD is decent non-offensive music. Clay sings about love – oh my goodness you mean people still fall in love? Can't be. Isn't today's world all about anger and angst? No? Do we really want it to be?

Clay signs with no emotion? Hey better check those Belltones. Mr. "no emotion" has made many cry (and not in agony) because his voice has the power to evoke so many emotions. People actually wonder if he is lying about never having been in love or been hurt by a love because it is all there in his voice.

Is that it? A guy is singing about love. Not cool. Real men don't fall in love and certainly don't sing about it. Got to sing about "bitches and ho's" to be a real man?

Hate to be the one to break it to you but even Clay's fans don't agree about their favorite songs. (gasp!) Yes, that means all those people didn't rush out to buy the CD because a certain song was on it (how will Simon explain these sales, since he claimed Clay’s single sold only because “Bridge Over Troubled Water” was on it?) but because they want to hear Clay sing. The favorites are as varied as all the fans out there. Oh, there I go again forgetting that his fans are either pre-teens or grandmothers – I am alternately flattered (I look that young?) and taken aback (I look that old?). It would really mess up the theories if I were a guy (shhhhh don't let it get out but a lot of guys enjoy Clay's music) but alas – I am a female. Guess that means in a lot of critics minds, I am musically brain dead.

Since only "rabid" Clay fans are buying his CDs and we all only make $25,000-$35,000 a year and shop at Wal-Mart, we must be skimping on those mints (or food for the kids) so we can push Clay to the top in sales. Do the math guys, there aren't that many Internet fans – even for Clay. Time to admit it but people actually like the music. What a novel idea.

Oh, by the way, if anyone hasn't gotten their copy of Measure of A Man yet, I still have about 600,000 copies left.

FOXES ON IDOL
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 11/05/03 TAKING ON CLAY'S CRITICS
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 11:07:06 PM »
outthereforclay
  Great review!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 05:36:14 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love this article! It really captures a lot of TRUTH, about both critics and fans.

I sent her an email thanking her :)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:07:24 PM »
claylady
  TAKING ON CLAY'S CRITICS
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 08:49:01 PM »   

I heard a line on the radio this morning that really hits the mark.

DID YOU EVER HEAR A CHILD SAY THAT WHEN HE GROWS UP HE WANTS TO BE A CRITIC??      :  :   

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 11:07:45 PM »
cjrmax
  TAKING ON CLAY'S CRITICS
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 10:43:41 AM »   

Great article!  I think eventually, if Clay continues to sell cd's and enjoy the popularity he and his music have enjoyed thus far, even the most cynical critic will have to say people do actually like his music (even if the critic can't bring himself to say he likes it!).  It does boggle my mind how so many seem to NEED to dislike Clay and his music!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 11:08:19 PM »
outthereforclay
  author response to my email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 04:37:07 PM »   

Thought you guys would appreciate this.  I sent a quick thank you to the author of this article and was warmed and surprised to get a reply!

First, here's what I sent her:

Candace, I love you! This was a terrific review...you said it all!

Thank you,

Amy--married, two children and absolutely smitten with this man and his talent!  (by the way, so are my daughters --ages 8 and 12--and my 82-year-old mother!)

And here's the reply I got today:

No Amy, thank you.

You just validated everything I said and feel about Clay - we can connect and bridge generations because of Clay.

I have a 12 year old daughter too - doesn't today's musical climate just scare you to death?  I don't want her to think she has to be skanky to be popular or to succeed.  I hate that society promotes that.  It is long past time for a change or return to those values and to good, decent music where talent, not image is paramount.

I have a son also and who do you think I want him to emulate - Eminem or Clay - I know, no brainer .

We are very lucky we have been given a chance to enjoy Clay's gift to us.  I know I will never be the same and that is a good thing.

He is not perfect and not do I want or expect him to be.  He just believes in himself and is true to his values and beliefs - now if we all can have that courage.

Take care,

Candy

Isn't it great to be a part of such a kind and caring network?

And the love just keeps "Claying Forward"! :D

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:09:28 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
TAKING ON CLAY'S CRITICS
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 05:13:20 PM »   

outthere, I'm so glad you sent that note.  And I love her note back to you.  ThanX for sharing it.

You know, honestly I have no problem with people who don't care for the kind of music on Clay's CD.  People are different; people like all different kinds of music.  Personally, I like many types of music - from bluegrass to old R&B, from Celtic to pop, from world to rock and roll.  I wouldn't want someone else's musical tastes forced on me and I won't force mine on them. 

However, what I do have a problem with is being told by so called 'music industry insiders' what I should or should not like, or spend my money on, and being denigrated because I happen to enjoy something they don't.  What's up with that? 

I also resent being invalidated as a consumer because of my gender, my age or my career choice (the tired old 'middle aged housewife' theory).  As so many have said, Clay has fans that are kids, teenagers, men, women, old, young, black, white and every other color.  So do other artists I'm sure; why does Clay have to take so much flack for this?  I work hard for my money; I have money to spend, why do they care where it comes from?

Sorry, mini rant!  :?

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 11:10:01 PM »
outthereforclay
  rant rave rock & roll
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 06:19:13 PM »   

that's all right, Pamela,

YOU GO, GIRL!!! :

I'm right there witcha!   :!:

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 11:11:56 PM »
jasper
  Are the critics correct?
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2003, 10:22:58 AM »   

Ha,

That subject just makes me laugh.  To start this reply off I just want to tell you all alittle about myself.  I am a 20 year old MALE with a 20 year old girlfriend that can't stop listening to Clay's music.  Thats right people a MALE that is tired of all this talk about the demographics of Clay being soley based around teen and older generation woman.  I started watching Clay with my girlfriend, my mother, my sister and my sister's boyfriend on AI2.  The man has true talent and ability that will shine above and over many "pop" singers in the music world today.  When ever I watched the show (every day it was on, didn't miss an entire episode) I was astonished with how a cover song could be made someone's own just by his voice.  Clay finally add's to the music world what it has been missing for years; a singer that can hit any demopgraphic and change what people want to hear in their music.

I can give you a list of males all ages around me that like Clay's music.  My step-father, his brother, 10 co-workers, and myself never missed an episode and we all voted for him in the final show as well.

Is it possible for 1 singer to change the "pop" music world just by his morals and singing ability?  Is that even a question?  Almost a million customers in just 3 weeks couldn't be wrong could they?

Please, I am so tired of listening to critic's assessments of this CD and Clay as a person and a singer.  Look at it this way critics.....YOU WERE ALL WRONG!  Your shallow criticism of Measure of A Man had no affect on the purchasing power of his fans.  This man has changed a lot of people's lives.  Constructive criticism is what he delt with when Simon spoke, but even at the end of that show, Simon was made a believer. 

I keep listening over and over to critics talk about the "woman and girls" who love Clay and purchase his music.  What about all the Males?  I have purchased both of Clay's CD's and I personaly love to hear him belt out those lyrics.  Each song with its own meaning, its own rythm, its own little touch that hits everyone differently in their hearts.  The reason this man is so successful is because he contains TRUE ability and he will always stay true to himself and his fans. 

It makes me chuckle to hear all the hype this one singer can make in the music industry so fast.  Maybe that is the problem these critics are having with Clay?  They wonder how one person can show his true side of morals, beliefs, his way of life that is conflicting with the rest of the "pop" musicians and be on the top of the charts week after week with sales soaring through the roof setting records that we haven't seen for years.  They didn't have the opportunity to be the first criticism in Clay's music career, the millions of viewers got the first shot and loved him. 

Edge?  Is that what they are looking for really?  What is edge in music?  I think that Measure of A Man contained enough edge to gather millions of fans, and enough edge to make SOME critics proud to see this kind of music hit the stores in our generation.  Producing over 140K sales in your third week......that is the total of most first week sales for musicians these days.  I am thinking that if Billboard music (which contains the highest criticism and highest standard of critics) objects that this CD could have been the next "Thriller" if not for the generation of sex and violence that we are in now, I will take that criticism over anyone elses. 

There truley must be talent in you if you are chosen over thousands to sing at the Miss American Pagent, AMA's, Jay Leno, The View, The Morning Show, and The World Series!  America's past time people....the most viewed sports game and love of the U.S. 

It is ok though; let those critics say what makes them feel good about themselves.  Because they will never understand the true meaning of music and what people really want to listen to.  Let them say what they have to say (even though it is incorrect, I am showing that now since I am male and 20 years old) and we will keep putting Clay at the top of the charts year after year.

Well I am signing off now, just wanted to add a different perspective to the discussion being male and all.  Next week will be the mile marker for Measure of A Man with over 1 million sales/ Platinum!  Can't wait for Clay to have his first two CD's go Platinum, won't that just shut some critics mouths and make others want to listen again to see what they missed the first time around on the CD.  Well you all have a good day and keep up the great work.

-Signed always      JaSPeR

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 11:12:23 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
TAKING ON CLAY'S CRITICS
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2003, 10:41:51 AM »   

Dear Jasper,

I love you. 

That's all.

Pamela
 :

PS-And your girlfriend and the rest of your family too!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 11:12:51 PM »
sjmcdona
  Thanks Candy!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2003, 12:43:51 PM »   

I want to publicly express my gratitude for Candy's superb article (I did send her an e-mail thanking her too). To Jasper:,my brother David is as big of a fan of Clay as me (and he is 40 years old) so you are not the only man who likes Clay!. 

At this point,  I could care less what ANY critic says about Clay, as I have learned that most music "critics" are jealous, insecure, small minded individuals who couldn't cut it in the industry themselves, so they try to build themselves up by putting down others (Simon is a perfect case in point). ANYONE who could think that Clay is not talented must be tone deaf!!!  I plan to continue supporting Clay in any way I can, and I truly hope he ignores any mindless cruel comments and continues performing for many years to come!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 11:13:40 PM »
Misha
  Doesn't everyone remember?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2003, 03:23:33 PM »   

I'm not sure if you can remember or even cared to follow the music scene when Britney Spears first came on the scene.  She had this look of innocence, she came from the Disney channel and though she had hits, the critics were bashing her for being too innocent and she had "needed" to become an "adult" in the industry if she was to survive as an artist.

Now, you see her stripping for the MTV crowd, kissing Madonna, and doing just about anything to "prove" just how adult she is.

Now, I am the first one to complain about the bashing Clay continues to get from the critics, however, he is not the first and will certainly not be the last to be "bashed" for not being outwardly sexual.  (Mind you, they don't say he isn't sexy!!!  We all know that he is.   :D )  But because of his outright refusal to sing songs with sex in them, well, that is most likely the reason they bash him today.  If they had the "power" to make Britney Spears turn from what she was into what she is today, why would they think that they can't expect the same results as they got before?  Now I'm not saying that I wouldn't enjoy a private little moment with Clay while he was halfway undressed, but ... ((LOL))  That is only because of my respect for him now.  I don't want him to change to please any one else.  I want him to just keep singing to me (on the CD's and the radio and anywhere else) and to keep being the type of man that we all (my family and friends) can be proud of.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 11:14:24 PM »
jacob03
  TAKING ON CLAY'S CRITICS
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2003, 05:11:40 PM »   

I AM A 17 YEAR OLD TEEN, ABOUT TO TURN 18.  NOT MANY EARLY ADULT MALES ARE PEOPLE WHO ENJOY CLAY'S KIND OF MUSIC.  I AM DIFFERENT BECAUSE I SIMPLY ENJOY TALENT.  I AM INTERESTED IN UNIQUENESS AND ORIGINALITY.  THE REASON WHY I LIKE CLAY SO  MUCH IS THAT HIS VOICE WAS SO MUCH MORE RICH AND PURE AND DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER CONTESTANTS ON AMERICAN IDOL AND IN THE MUSIC WORLD TODAY.  HOWEVER I WILL NOT LIE, I AM ALSO A HUGE FAN IN OTHER MUSIC, EVEN RAP AND HEAVY METAL ROCK.  EMINEM IS A VERY TALENTED RAPPER, ALTHOUGH HE DOES CREATE SONGS THAT ARE IMMORAL AND OFFENSIVE.  BUT HIS SONGS DO NOT AFFECT MY WAY OF LIFE.  BUT BECAUSE I AM A MUCH BIGGER CLAY AIKEN FAN (I DO CLAIM TO BE THE BIGGEST MALE CLAY AIKEN FAN!), HIS INNOCENCE AND HUMILITY HAS TAUGHT ME TO STAY AWAY FROM DRINKING AND DOING DRUGS AND EVEN PRE-MARITAL SEX.  AND I THANK CLAY FOR THAT, FOR BEING AN INSPIRATION AND PERFECT ROLE MODEL FOR THE TEMPTATIONS THAT THE WORLD OFFERS TODAY.

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  11/05/03 TAKING ON CLAY'S CRITICS

gfxgfx
gfx