gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229519 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 12:25:55 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  9/5/03 SIMON COWELL'S COMMENTS IN ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY (9/5)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 9/5/03 SIMON COWELL'S COMMENTS IN ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY (9/5)  (Read 3944 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
AdoringClay
  SIMON COWELL'S COMMENTS IN ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY (9/5)
« on: September 06, 2003, 06:34:59 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you read the Entertainment Weekly article about Clay????  In it, Simon Cowell admitted that Clay's single outsold Ruben's, but he said it was simply because it included the hit song, "Bridge Over Troubled Water."  He said Ruben would have had the # 1 had he had BOTW.  What, is this guy crazy!  I had no desire to hear BOTW.  I used to listen to it in the 70's over and over.  I ran out to get Clay's single the minute it came out STRICTLY TO HEAR CLAY'S BEAUTIFUL VOICE!!!  I would have bought it if Clay was singing the phone book!  What, exactly, does Simon have against Clay???? (And, what was so fantastic about Ruben on the show - week after week I was so tired of hearing the judges say that Ruben was "consistent."  I never bought an album because someone was "consistent!"  Every week with every performance Clay moved both me and my husband.  After each one we had tears in our eyes and both said "WOW!  THAT BOY CAN 
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 9/5/03 SIMON COWELL'S COMMENTS IN ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY (9/5)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:54:47 PM »
cassms
  EW Article
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 08:54:38 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read the EW article too also found Simon's statement preposterous that the song BOTW, not Clay's rendition of it, was the reason for Clay's huge sales.  Get used to it, Simon--we love Clay!!  I loved BOTW in the 70s but Clay's version was completely fresh and new--and amazing!  The other thing I found so interesting in the article was the writer's theory that "Idol execs recognized they were wrong to throw so much weight behind Studdard during the competition."  Though I know this is just a theory so far as we know for sure, it sure seemed strange to me during the competition not so much that Ruben would be praised but that Simon would heap undeservedly harsh words on Clay.   It had to have been hard on Clay.  Yet Clay maintained his dignity, worked his craft--and just got better every week!  Now THAT'S a REAL MAN

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:55:29 PM »
AdoringClay
  EW ARTICLE WITH SIMON BASHING CLAY
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 11:54:10 AM »   

:idea: Also, what a weird quote: that after seeing Clay's post-Idol success, "Idol execs recognized they were wrong to throw so much weight behind Studdard during the competition."  What on earth?  Was the competition (maybe) FIXED!!!!!  How could they have "put weight behind him" if it wasn't.  I wrote to the AI producers after the vote (as I'm sure many of you did) and said I don't know if I'm going to watch the show the next time because it's no fun and it doesn't mean anything if our votes don't really count for anything.  We all know who really got the most votes!

That said, I have absolutely nothing against Ruben - he is truly the "velvet teddy bear."  He did a good job on most things he sang, but the judges comments that he was "consistent" every week left both me and my husband BLAH.  I never bought an album because someone was "consistent!" Ruben has a good voice and just kind of stands there and sings.  Many people can do that.  He has never moved us like Clay does with every Clayformance. 

One review I read said that Clay "sings the Bejesus out of every song he sings!"  Now, that's putting it in a nut shell!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:56:33 PM »
aeleon9995
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 12:13:33 PM »   

OMG...i missed that one...One question...where is Ruben now??

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 10:56:49 PM »
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 12:48:25 PM »   

Hopefully Ruben is in the studio finishing up his CD....

Honestly, I was looking forward to it as long as he was going to sing like he did on the show, but now in that Time magazine article it says that his CD is going to be "hip hop".   No offense to anyone who likes hip hop but don't we have plenty of hip hop on the radio now?  I love to hear Ruben sing ballads, but I guess not.

Thank goodness that Clay is getting to sing the kind of songs he enjoys singing, the kind of songs that we voted for him singing, and the kind of songs that are positive and put a silly grin on my face every time I hear them such as the samples we have already heard.

I can't wait to get his CD!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 10:57:03 PM »
stellium
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 04:25:50 PM »   

Simon Cowell has a birthday today; he is 44 today, born Brighton, England.   I didn't realize he was that old, but it's hard to tell with his hair.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 10:57:37 PM »
cjrmax
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 05:02:10 PM »   

I agree with the person who said they were looking forward to Ruben's cd until they heard it was going to be primarily hip hop.  I am not a fan of hip hop and will now likely not buy it.  However, I admire Ruben who, like Clay, appeared to stand up for what he believed in to make his first cd HIS cd.  Let's face it, he will likely get MUCH more radio play than Clay wth a hip hop cd.  He probably saw how little radio play his single got (along with Clay's).  He probably made a very wise move.  I just can't imagine him doing hip hop though!  To me he is much more along the lines of Luther Vandross and Barry White and that's what I liked best about him.

I think the producers and judges of AI were trying to lead the viewing audience into voting for Ruben because he was more easily marketed than Clay.  Funny thing happened, though.  America was totally enraptured with Clay's voice and the rest is history.  The voting was not fixed.  However, until and unless technology can be developed where you can only vote one time from one phone number it will never be close to fair.  Otherwise we can never be sure who had more people voting for them as opposed to who got the most votes.  The contestants all know the way the voting works going in.  Its as fair as it can be and the one thing that is fair is the judges and the producers do not control the voting unless you are someone easily swayed by their obvious preferences.  And hasn't enough been said about that anyway?  Clay is doing just fine, as is Ruben. They both came out winners.

Can't wait for Clay's cd.  I just hope someone he gets more radio play this time around - and more respect.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 10:58:10 PM »
Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 09:12:39 PM »   

Simon Cowell has a birthday today; he is 44 today, born Brighton, England. I didn't realize he was that old, but it's hard to tell with his hair.

stellium, this just cracks me up!!!!!!!!
I don't know why, but it's hilarious!!!
hahahahaha
Sorry, but Simon is a jerk as far as I'm concerned.
Well he is!  You can be snarky and funny without being
rude you know?!?

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 10:58:29 PM »
Anonymous
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2003, 11:00:27 PM »   

I agree! That comment sucked! I don't know why everyone thinks Ruben is so great?

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 10:59:13 PM »
Amber
  Re: EW ARTICLE WITH SIMON BASHING CLAY
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 07:59:05 PM »   

:idea:
Also, what a weird quote: that after seeing Clay's post-Idol success, "Idol execs recognized they were wrong to throw so much weight behind Studdard during the competition."  What on earth?  Was the competition (maybe) FIXED!!!!!  How could they have "put weight behind him" if it wasn't.  I wrote to the AI producers after the vote (as I'm sure many of you did) and said I don't know if I'm going to watch the show the next time because it's no fun and it doesn't mean anything if our votes don't really count for anything.  We all know who really got the most votes!

simon said in another interview before the show ended that the night of the final three, he with held some of the mean comments to ruben, because ruben wasn't doing as well as kimberely and he wanted ruben to go to the finals...i already knew they've been at this for a while.  why do you think randy and paula gave each other high fives when ruben won??? they wanted ruben to win.  that's why they praised him so much more.  all the judges with held their comments from ruben.  but did they fix the votes???  no... i think what it came down to is more ruben fans got through than clay fans.  i voted the entire 3 hours on a cell phone and only got thru a total of 13 times.

One review I read said that Clay "sings the Bejesus out of every song he sings!"  Now, that's putting it in a nut shell!

clay definitely sings the "bejesus" out of everything!  that's why he rocks so much!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 10:59:50 PM »
Amber
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 08:03:25 PM »   

ha! silly me!  didn't realize how old this post is!!!  i'll be going now! :P

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 11:00:07 PM »
Jexter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 10:06:11 PM »   

Shoot! When I saw a new post on this old thread, I thought we were in for some good Simon dirt!

I've done the same thing before : !

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 11:00:30 PM »
mackncsu
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2003, 11:32:27 PM »   

whoa, I hadn't heard all of that yet...hmmm

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  9/5/03 SIMON COWELL'S COMMENTS IN ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY (9/5)

gfxgfx
gfx