gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229876 Posts in 2575 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay April 19, 2024, 04:22:26 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  11/05/03 MTV BOSS SLAMS TV POP TALENT SHOWS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 11/05/03 MTV BOSS SLAMS TV POP TALENT SHOWS  (Read 2240 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
11/05/03 MTV BOSS SLAMS TV POP TALENT SHOWS
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:50:47 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
MTV BOSS SLAMS TV POP TALENT SHOWS
« on: November 05, 2003, 03:11:29 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MTV Boss Slams TV Pop Talent Shows
Wed Nov 5, 8:42 AM ET         
By Paul Majendie

EDINBURGH (Reuters) - A top MTV boss on Wednesday slammed Pop Idol-type TV talent shows for producing a string of manufactured stars who did nothing to salvage the beleaguered music industry.

"These programs make good TV but from a musical point of view, they do not have any value," Brent Hansen, President and Chief Executive of MTV Networks Europe told Reuters.  TV shows that propel total unknowns to instant stardom have been huge ratings winners on both sides of the Atlantic but Hansen is clearly not a fan.

"I totally believe they have devalued us, taken us back to light entertainment and voyeurism" he said. "I think people will turn away from it. They are looking for more substance."  Hansen, whose music channels have a huge influence on pop tastes, is not alone in his caustic dismissal of Instant Pop.

Music veterans like Elton John and George Michael have complained bitterly about the trend and Bono, lead singer of the Irish supergroup U2, has argued: "People are sick to the teeth of processed and hyped pop bands. It is crap."

Hansen, in Edinburgh for Thursday night's MTV Europe Awards, said the beleaguered music industry must hold its nerve and take time to nurture talent if it is to recover from its current slump.

"Disposable and ephemeral will, I hope, become less of an attraction both to people who are signing the artists and to the audience," he said.

"I think it will come right as long as there is confidence from the labels right through from the indies (independents) to the majors in signing new talent," he added.

The latest industry figures paint a dismal picture. Global data showed music sales tumbled almost 11 percent in the first six months of this year, piling more pressure on music companies to do deals to survive.

Despite big hits from pop queen Christina Aguilera (news) and rapper 50 Cent, the industry has been ravaged by Internet downloading and CD burning.

Hansen was strikingly upbeat despite the gloom.  But he said it was vital "people don't lose their nerve and that the industry continues to be an art and not a science. It is not just about quick burns and quick returns."
Predicting a hit is almost impossible. Nine in every 10 albums in the United States lose money and labels get little change from a million dollars when launching a new artist.

"There is always a risk that you are going to put everything behind one or two acts because they are going to bring in the numbers you need," said Hansen.  That temptation, he added, should be firmly resisted.

LINK
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 11/05/03 MTV BOSS SLAMS TV POP TALENT SHOWS
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »
cjrmax
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 04:20:35 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think these music executives are having their egos bruised by shows like AI.  It means someone other than them are choosing new talent!  Whose to say the talent AI finds is not real talent?  So many singers and groups are manufactured and/or come from tv in one form or another.  Wasn't N'Sync or one of those boy bands put together by someone other than the members themselves?  And as we have already noted here, singers like Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Hillary Duff, Leann Rimes all come from tv!

Talent is talent.  Yes, shows like AI and  Pop Idol in the UK may only produce flashes in the pan, but why can't these guys recognize that maybe, just maybe they may find real, long lasting talent?  And as far as music sales plummeting - hey guys - look at Clay!  He is selling cd's like mad!  Within one month of release he'll have sold 1 million!

Only time will tell if shows like AI produce talent that will be popular and profitable for years to come - but isn't that true with any artist, whether "discovered" by the music industry or by tv?  Its always a long shot.  But if someone clicks, if someone captures the hearts and souls of the listening public - the consumers - then why does it matter if they originally came from a tv show or were discovered by a record producer?  It only matters if the egos of the latter get bruised!  I bet if one of the tv "manufactured" stars made those executives a lot of money they would be singing a different tune (no pun intended)!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:52:16 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 02:58:58 PM »   

A top MTV boss on Wednesday slammed Pop Idol-type TV talent shows for producing a string of manufactured stars who did nothing to salvage the beleaguered music industry.

This is almost humorous.  MTVs very existence is based on manufactured pop stars.  If you don't believe me, watch TRL some day.  And why should AI contestants bear any burden of "salvaging the beleaguered music industry" anyway?  That burden should be left up to the music industry itself.  Music industry, heal thyself!  And you might start by listening to your own customers for a change.

Wasn't N'Sync or one of those boy bands put together by someone other than the members themselves? And as we have already noted here, singers like Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Hillary Duff, Leann Rimes all come from tv!

Amen.  Seriously, Britney, Justin, Christina and Hilary all came from the Disney Channel.  They are very good at 'being celebrities,' and, they are good dancers.  Singing?  Not so much.  Christina A and Leann have pretty good voices though.  I don't begrudge them their careers, they are obviously very popular and generate huge revenue for the their labels.

I'm just saying that Clay should also get his shot without being tagged 'AI runner up' as an insult for the rest of his life.  In order for him to lose this label,  he almost has to do better than just 'good.'   He is also forced to have to outsell Ruben at every turn, because even though it's no longer a competition according to Clay and Ruben, the media will continue to make it one until someone finally wins the real prize, which is industry respect and recognition. 

Such as an American Music Award or a Grammy.  Which is why I keep banging the voting drum.   :

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:52:47 PM »
Aiken Avenue
  That's a laugh
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 09:04:02 PM »   

Oh is this MTV, that was created to play videos but does anything but?

What a laugh...the MTV Exec is just mad he didn't come up with it first.
Let's put him in a room with Simon Cowell...that should straighten it all out.

The reason I love Clay so much is he put music back into music. The reason I can't stand to watch MTV is they have nothing to do with music.

I should say all kinds of music. They seem to center on Hip Hop, Rap and heavy metal. Not much of a variety.

I guess you can say consider the source. Those who can sing do, those who can't become bitter critics

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  11/05/03 MTV BOSS SLAMS TV POP TALENT SHOWS

gfxgfx
gfx