gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229872 Posts in 2575 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay April 19, 2024, 11:06:39 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  10/27/03 ALBUM ONLY HINTS AT VOCAL ABILITIES
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 10/27/03 ALBUM ONLY HINTS AT VOCAL ABILITIES  (Read 3275 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
10/27/03 ALBUM ONLY HINTS AT VOCAL ABILITIES
« on: April 29, 2010, 11:58:42 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

ALBUM ONLY HINTS AT VOCAL ABILITIES
« on: October 27, 2003, 10:23:25 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Idol" runner-up's album feels bland and only hints at vocal abilities

By Gregg Simms Jr.
Cox News

Clay Aiken was a phenomenon unto himself. On "American Idol," the show he was discovered on, Aiken was a standout before he even sang. The gangly walk. The goofy mannerisms. In short, Aiken looked like Ichabod Crane.

And when he opened his mouth, he was Elvis.

Aiken instantly became the star of "American Idol." This kid from Raliegh, N.C. captured the hearts of the nation long before Idol's final votes were tallied. What was even more uncanny was how he was everything to everybody. To one section of the country, Aiken was proof that nice, well mannered folk could still matter, and win in this new millennium. To another faction, he was the ultimate revenge-of the-nerd fantasy, the shy put upon guy in high school that grew into a hearthrob. Lastly, a huge chunk of the populace saw Aiken for what he was: an immense talent.

This isn't to say that Aiken's ride to stardom was smooth. From the onset of this year's "Idol," Aiken and the actual winner of the show, Ruben Studdard, were far and away the favorites of the contest. And who could forget the duel of the two men, two nights of a nation locked in a debate that became part of the American fabric: "Clay or Ruben"? As everyone should know, Ruben won the contest, but that was about it. A blind man locked in a bomb shelter 50 feet in the ground with a broken light switch could've seen that Aiken would be the true winner after "Idol" was over. Exhibit A. was the Rolling Stone cover that Aiken landed this past spring ... ahead of "Idol" winner Studdard. (Studdard got his cover a month after Aiken). Exhibit B. was the sales of both men's singles. Aiken's outsold Ruben's by a large margin. The machinery was in place for Aiken to roll out first. Why the boost in interest for Aiken? Is it race? Partly. But, it's also the fact that Aiken has his own Beatlemania surrounding him (Claymates!), and the money always follows the mania.

Is "Measure Of A Man" worth the money? It is if you're a Clay fanatic. If not, be warned: this CD is bland. Way bland. The same sound that you heard on this summer's smash single, "This Is The Night?" The entire album as built around that. A big, unwieldy sound that's squarely middle of the road. As "Broadway" sounding as Aiken's voice has been called, the man has vast ability. You hear hints of it in the songs, but just that: hints. Even Kelly Clarkson, last years' "American Idol" winner, got a few songs where she let it rip on her debut CD, "Thankful."

Clay never once gets to show a hint of the smolder he sometimes displayed on "Idol". It's as if his handlers, the legendary Clive Davis and the Simon Fuller (a legend in England) purposely developed Aiken to be the new Neil Diamond.

Clay has a future in the business. But, in the present, he needs to develop more songs with "edge" if he wants a future in the business. That, and Ruben's debut album is right around the corner.

AUSTIN REVIEW
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 10/27/03 ALBUM ONLY HINTS AT VOCAL ABILITIES
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:59:10 PM »
Marshini258
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 11:51:08 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:evil

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »
outthereforclay
  MOAM critique
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 01:48:57 AM »   

As much as I love CLay, I agree with this guy. The first time I heard the CD, I was disappointed. Not because Clay doesn't sound great, because he does...his incredible voice can ONLY sound good...

But I really think the music "handlers", the producers, mixers, whatever...did Clay an injustice with this first CD. The songs are, for the most part, good, but definitely much of the same throughout. I have come to love every one of them because of Clay's amazing voice and because I have come to love who HE is

I remember when I first heard Kelly Clarkson's CD..I was blown away because her strong voice was really showcased in an eclectic collection of songs--each one was different from the previous one, and each one gave Kelly a chance to use different nuances of her talent. (footnote here: I always liked Kelly...thought she was the most talented along with Tamyra on the AI1, but if she had been on AI2, she couldn't have bested Clay.)

So I was really looking for a similar vehicle for Clay to "bust loose" in his premiere. But, as the author of this article said, the record label really didn't stretch things and so the songs do come out seeming too "middle of the road".  This is all my opinion, only, just as each critic's words are his opinion only (although many of them seem to feel their words are based on more "expertise", I haven't found that to be true.)

All that being said, I still will listen to MOAM over and over because Clay moves me on every song in SOME way and because my appreciation of the music goes beyond the melody and lyric...it grows each time because of all that Clay puts into his singing. Yesterday, in fact, I got a sore behind because I was listening to it while on a bike ride and just didn't want to stop even though I had already listened to the CD all the way through 3 times! :

Now I'm already impatient to have MORE CDs of Clay's ..I'll have to invest in a more comfortable bicycle seat! :

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:00:13 AM »
clAyEr
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 03:02:47 AM »   

well...i agree with closetclayfan...when i 1st bought the cd and listened all of it for the very first time...i wasn't really blown away by the songs he sang...i was quite disappointed...but after listening it for like sOoo many times over and over again...i find the lyrics are really meaningful and the way he sings it makes me feel like he is singing to me... and makes me want to listen to all the songs over and over again... :

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:00:28 AM »
clayfan6
  "Idol" runner-up's album feels bland and only hint
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 07:21:03 AM »   

I LOVE the CD, but I have to also admit that I miss hearing Clay cut loose.  You hear hints of it in some of the songs, but I believe that Clive Davis overproduced it and covered up some of what makes him CLAY.That being said, his voice / the lyrics make this an AWESOME album....but I hope that either Clay or his producers realize this and let him shine through on his next CD so we have some of his AI talent come through on his new songs.  CLAY ROCKS !

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:00:50 AM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 07:40:48 AM »   

I think all the songs on the CD will be best when they are performed Live!  Clay was born to perform live.  That's when his true personality can shine through, even moreso in a concert venue than on a TV show. He seems to feed off the audience, soaking up their energy and then giving it all back wrapped up in the song.

Example - The Way on GMA.  He really kicked that song up a notch and made it one of my favorites.  You can see the love he has for it when he sings it.  Another example - TITN on the Miss America pageant.  Another example - Invisible on the concert tour this summer.

And you know what was special about that.   :P

Two songs I can't wait to see performed live - Touch and Measure of a Man.  Awesome....*shivers*

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:01:15 AM »
clays_gyrl7712
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 06:55:16 PM »   

This CD is fabulous!!!  Every song they chose for Clay to sing is perfect for him...I listen to it constantly.
Clay....we love ya!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:01:38 AM »
playingclay
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 08:19:01 PM »   

I agree.  The songs are the best when you can watch him perform them.  The first time that I saw Clay was on the first show of the final 12 on AI.  The two things that struck me were his voice and the way he commanded the stage.  He was so at home on the stage and had such presence.  I think as the show continued, he tried to tone himself down until he was just moving the mike from hand to hand and not moving around much (in response to the criticism that he was getting).  I thought that was unfortunate.  He seems to be getting  his groove back though after the show ended. :D  :D

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:02:07 AM »
Amber
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 11:49:03 PM »   

the cd grows on you.  the first time you hear, it doesn't sound as good, but the more you listen to it, the more you love it!!  i love every song on it and i definitely agree that he does what he does the best when he performs live!!!  finally someone that can actually sing live!!!!!!  thank you clay!!!  for everything!!! :D  :D  :

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 12:02:23 AM »
clayadmirer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 12:16:18 PM »   

Just a thought: do you think that maybe the record producers "knew" that Clay's 1st cd would be a huge success just based on the built-in fan support he had by the end of AI, and left room for him to really crank it up on his next cd, to ensure another success? Those of us who followed him on AI know the full range of his voice (just listen to Bridge Over Troubled Water), but if someone hasn't heard him when he really cuts loose, I agree that the songs on MOAM only give a hint of his real talent. I too love MOAM and especially love to see him perform the songs live, but I also know he has more to give us! Bring it on, Clay!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »
outthereforclay
  MOAM
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 03:30:39 PM »   

Amber, you hit it! It IS great to have someone who sounds great when singing live! When has that happened recently? How many times have you seen a "star" make an appearance on a show only to end up lip synching and taking you for a fool by standing at a mike faking it--all exaggerated expressions and gestures or by gyrating and hopping all over the stage (i.e. Beyonce on the ridiculous RMA the other night).

With Clay you know that he'll be true..even when he's tired and his voice shows it--those times he can't quite ring that note--even then he continues and just ....is....no apologies, no excuses, just his smile and those eyes that never change their message.

What a lift that man gives to me!
  :D
no longer "closetclayfan", but "outthereforclay"

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 12:03:21 AM »
Tami J
  Clay's da' man!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 06:01:29 PM »   

I too wanted to hear Clay belt it out on MOAM.  I truely missed that the first time I listened.  The second, third, fourth,........millionth time I listened every song got better and still does every time I listen.  I can't wait to see Clay in concert singing these songs.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 12:03:38 AM »
TwoCatsMom
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2003, 12:45:25 AM »   

I absolutely love MOAM!!!  I must, I bought 6 copies!!!  I put my earphones on at bedtime and listen to Clay singing me to sleep.  He has such a wonderful soothing voice--I just hope the rest of America picks up on what most of us already know---THE MAN IS SO DAMN TALENTED and he reeks with sex appeal.  I'm already looking forward to his second CD and am hoping this time Solitaire will be on it as was stated once upon a time.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 12:03:52 AM »
sjmcdona
  Targeting an audience
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2003, 09:04:53 AM »   

I too, enjoy MOAM, but confess to being dissappointed that the CD did not contain any songs that would really showcase Clay's power and ability to improvise. Having listened to this cd several times,  I believe Clive Davis selected songs that would appeal to what he believes is Clay's biggest fan base (young girls), and would also be "modern" enough to transcend into today's pop culture. I don't think Clive Davis realizes how many of Clay's fans are older men and women who fell in love with Clay's crooning on AI.

My biggest hope is that Clay has more creative control in the song selection and production of his next album. I want to see songwriters like Diane Warren and Elton John write some songs that would TRULY let Clay's natural, God given talent, shine.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 12:04:19 AM »
jabreck
  songwriters for Clay.....
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2003, 12:54:34 PM »   

YES!  and I hope that Neil Sedaka will write a song(s)for him, too.....and I wonder how he'd sound doing a duet with Kim Locke, Celine Dion, Faith Hill....ooh -- lots of great possibilities!!

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  10/27/03 ALBUM ONLY HINTS AT VOCAL ABILITIES

gfxgfx
gfx