gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229519 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 12:49:35 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  Writer's Corner - Fan Essays  |  7/18/04 Lynn Venhaus: An Open Letter to Radio PDs and DJs... (Read 10558 times)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 7/18/04 Lynn Venhaus: An Open Letter to Radio PDs and DJs... (Read 10558 times)  (Read 19136 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Prissy
DJ's
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2004, 06:03:47 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lynn,

What a powerful, thought provoking piece!  Thank you for putting into such eloquent words the frustrations so many of us have felt with the radio DJ's!

Why is Clay ostracized?  What is it about him that causes such hostile feelings on the part of the radio stations?  I think you have "hit the nail on the head" with many of the reasons!

As time passes, and Clay continues to loom large as a force to be reckoned with and hard to ignore, I think that some changes will occur, and he will finally find the acceptance so long denied on radio.  When that happens, he will be such a huge star, will anyone even care about radio play!?

Thanks again, Lynn, for taking the time to address these important issues!

Prissy
(Priscilla)
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
nursingme
  Letter
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 09:26:05 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lynn, Great letter. Hope you  get the point across to the stations.I do not understand what the problem is about playing music that people want to hear. I know that I listen to music everyday on the radio that I don't like ,but I 'm sure there are other people out there that enjoy what I do not approve of. I'll keep praying that the stations will not discriminant against some artist.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks again for the great letter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Caseymother
  Thanks
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2004, 09:48:48 PM »   

Thanks for writing what so many of us are unable to verbalize so eloquently.  Isn't it amazing that Clay makes us all feel the same way?

: Donna

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Sungko
  LYNN VENHAUS: AN OPEN LETTER TO RADIO PDs AND DJs...
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2004, 09:56:43 PM »   

I'm sure that Clay would love his music to receive tons of airplay, but I really can't believe that he's losing much sleep over the issue.  He's proven that you don't need radio airplay to be successful.  Clay is adored and respected by his fans.  I've never seen any entertainer do so much so fast.  Clay just makes me feel good and I thought that's what an entertainer is supposed to do.   Plus, if one more person calls him a "geek" I'm going to scream!

Carol

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
karencheyne
  Airplay for Clay
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2004, 09:59:56 PM »   

Thank you, Lynn, for taking the time to write to those in the radio industry in support of Clay. You aptly expressed how all Clay's supporters feel about the issue of not being able to listen to his great voice over the radio. It is really frustrating having to listen to all the junk that passes for music and not being able to hear the guy who truly has a beautiful voice. In truth, I don't listen to the radio at all anymore unless it's playing in restaurants etc.

Personally, I think this is a sexist issue. The radio industry has long been a male domain; it is their power base and is probably filled with control freaks. The few women who just may be 'the token females' in the industry, probably have all their ideas and program decisions okayed by 'the alpha males' on the team. The fact that Clay's fans are predominantly female allows these controllers to exercise their 'power' without a second thought.

Unfortunately, the same men who play the music for 'everyone but us' are not necessarily the same men who strive to make the station profitable via sales to advertisers. There is probably no correlation between their paychecks and the sales volume their work indirectly affects. The Sales department is the king in any organization and obviously, the PD's and DJ's are just peons.

I actually wonder just how hard radio station managers work to aquire advertising revenue. Perhaps their job is cushy and they only play music that is loud or raucus or inappropriate in order to attract just enough teens or young twenty-somethings to make the station appear 'in demand' for potential advertisers. Clay doesn't fill that bill so they don't play him. Not only that, advertisers know that middle-aged listeners don't spend as much money as the other groups on the products they are pushing. Adults tend to be more conservative and focussed on saving for RRSP's, not on buying Big Macs and Nikes etc. Thus, we, as Clay's fans, have little buying power to affect Clay's airplay power.

The radio industry is using 'American Idol' and the issue of Clay's sexuality as scapegoats to avoid playing him. They don't care a jot about all his accolades and talent. They just don't research his accomplishments because they think 'his mostly female fans' would say 'anything' about him to get 'us males' to play him' and so, 'we're in control' and 'we won't'.
That's all there is to it. Male superiority!

How can we help Clay?

a) Write a nice mass-mailing type letter (spam) to all the major advertisers who use air waves to reach their targeted buyers outlining the vast sums of money spent on their products via your kids, hubby, parents etc. ( Give an actual estimate in $$$) Remind them how much money you spent on local hotels, restaurants, malls, local shops, music cd's, while going to Clay Aiken concerts, at home and away. (an actual estimate in $$) Remind them that, in exchange for your economic injection into their business coffers, you'd like to hear Clay played on the same radio stations they, as advertisers, support. Include a printout of stats from the Independent Tour to show Clay's concert was rated #25 out of 100. Send them a list of the 52 venues he's going to support this summer/fall. (Multiply your estimated $$ figures by the number of concerts you intend to attend plus all the $$ you'll spend on concert souvenirs)

b) Promise these companies that, if they play Clay, you'll be sure to spread the word via your web-site about their positive response to our issue.

c) Keep every correspondence friendly, positive and assertive.

d) Send a copy of the letter you are sending to the advertisers who support that radio station to the local station managers to let them know you have gone above them straight to their advertisers in order to promote airplay for Clay. By-pass their power base.

e) Send a great thank-you to the stations that currently do play Clay.

f) Be sure to include on the letter, your demographic stat: female 60+ (i.e)

g) You could post the 'standard letter to advertisers' on this website and viewers can forward it to local radio stations. The letter to the advertisers themselves should come from the one mailing address. They will know we're doing this as a team with an 'alpha female' in charge.

Again, thank you for your hard work on Clay's behalf. Please accept my suggestions in the spirit of co-operation and togetherness as they are intended. We all love Clay and want to see him succeed; but, we also know, he is intelligent and would only want us to proceed in a positive and classy manner.

Thank you for listening to me.

Ms. Donna K. Goodwin
Red Deer Alberta Canada
female..60 years young

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
JNLPRECIOUSCLAY
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2004, 12:10:57 AM »   

What a great letter, I pray to God that this letter will open up some hard heads and they realize what a special talented person Clay is.  I have never met Clay, but have seen him in concert and he has brought me so much joy. I am sure he is not perfect, who is? But he is a good person who is doing wonderful work for people with disabilities. Clay has the voice of an angel and his music is beautiful, its nice to understand the words in a song for a change.and you leave his concert feeling wonderful.You just know he put his heart into his performance,and  I will never understand how anyone can think he is not attractive or cool. He is one handsome man with A+ charm and personality. 

Thank you so much for saying what we all feel but were not able to put into words. I sure hope Clay reads your letter

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
thanku_clay
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2004, 09:01:56 PM »   

Lynn, I used to post on here a lot and lurk every day. However, after reading your letter I had to jump back in. How wonderfully put..really!! Congrats!!
 I just don't get it either. No Air Play? What's up? I fell in love with Clay's voice on AI2. He has the most extraordinory (sp) voice I have ever heard in my life and my husband agrees. He is gorgeous...and then lets go to values? He is not perfect (no one is) as he says he is not. But I have such high regards for this guy!! He has respect from all of his fans. I think that boggles minds. Respect, for a recording artist??  In this day and age? He has earned it. The foundation, and his values on what he will or will not do, I applaud!!!
Listening to his music (which I am doing right now) makes me feel Soooo good. I will buy it if they play it or not on the radio. Just wish they did!

My husband and I saw Clay in Kansas City at the Independent Tour Concert. He is so awesome live!! He is better live if you can imagine that! We are going to see him again at the Kansas State Fair and we can't wait!!!

Clay deserves his success, and" Air Time"!!! He is truly the best.."Love That Guy"!!!!!

I will buy what ever is out there when it comes to Clay. Radio or not. They will have to start playing him eventually when they realize that is what so many people are "stll" buying and want to hear.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
jamcarol
  WHY CLAY IS NOT ON THE RADIO
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2004, 12:29:57 PM »   

I copied the entire letter and I am sending it to all the PHILLY radios stations that refuse to play him, but play KELLY and KIMBERLEY all the time.  It makes me sooooo mad : 

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Anonymous
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2004, 08:03:04 PM »   

Just wonderful-wonderful-wonderful-fantastic.

Thank you for expressing all our feelings so elequintly.

Karen

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
takenbyaiken25
  Good article!
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2004, 09:16:05 PM »   

Lynn-Again, I know EVERONE has said this but thank you SOO much for that article!  It includes pretty much everything we all wanted to say but just didn't have the right words for!  I really find it strange that they don't play Clays music either...I listen to the radio but not very often, mostly I pop in one of Clay's CDs because listening to him just makes me happy and puts me in a wonderful mood, no matter what's happening.  After his concert I was just on this "high", on Cloud 9 because you know he puts his all into every performance and you feel like you really got something out of it.  I think many of the DJs and PDs feel jealous (especially the males) because Clay is loved by mostly women and is so respected (as he well should be).  Many of them see him as just another pop star like all of the mediocre bands of the 90s and that we're just some crazed fanatics...But he truly is a special talent...He's something that only comes along once in a lifetime.  He has amazing faith and great convictions and he stands up for what he believes in, not wavering for a second.  I admire him SO much as a person, as well as his phenomenal voice.  Again thank you SO much Lynn!  Clay will survive with or without radio play but it would be nice to hear something that I really want to hear on the radio every once in awhile.  It seems like everyone else is getting to hear what THEY want to hear, it's OUR turn to hear our boy Clay, because he has earned it!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
TakenByAiken78
  i love clay w/ the same name!
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2004, 11:34:17 PM »   

Quote from: Marilyn
EXCELLENT LYNN-YOU PUT ALL OUR FEELINGS TOGETHER FOR US. THANK YOU!!!

hey i love ur thing that says Angela loves Clay Aiken b/c my name is angela too and i LOVE clay aiken! great job!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
jamcarol
  A REPONSE TO LYNN'S LETTER
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2004, 08:54:03 AM »   

This is from a PHILLY program director, an actual response to LYNN's letter
"Program Directors - especially in major markets - are responsible for delivering ratings.  Everythig they do is aimed at the goal of being #1.  A PD's bonus is always based on ratings, and people do what gets rewarded.  PD's spend most of their time putting things on the air that they believe the target listener will like, and taking things off the air that target lsiteners dislike.  PD's commission perceptual studies, do auditorium music tests, focus groups, and call-out to help determine the taste of trhe listener.

How does this tie into Clay Aiken?  Easy.  Clay's songs don't test well.   That's why a PD might be afarid to play a song by Clay.   

In a music test listeners hear hooks of 700 songs or more.  They are identified by number only to avoid any artist bias.  It's an absolutely level playing field and every song has an equal chance.  Listeners vote on their reaction to a song.  The choices are "Don't know it,"  "Like it a lot," "Like it some," "Dislike it some," and "Dislike it a lot." 

We tabluate the results.  Songs that get a lot of "Like it a lot" votes get played a lot.  Songs that get a lot of "Dislike it a lot" votes don't get played.   Songs that fall somewhere in the middle get played a little.  In the case of "This Is The Night" or "Solitaire" or "Invisible" by Clay Aiken, we found that there was a fairly high "Don't Know it" percentage.  The disturbing number, though, was that more people voted "Dislike it a lot" than voted "Like it a lot" on each one of the Clay songs we tested.

So is a PD afraid to play a song that the listeners have just told him they don't want to hear?  Absolutely

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Achin4Aiken
  I had no idea
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2004, 05:17:30 PM »   

I don't have a radio in my car so I don't think I've listened to the radio except for in passing for about a year. I had no idea Clay isn't being played.
When a voice like his can't make it to the radio I'd have to say radio is about over.
Thank you Lynn for saying so eloquently what we are all thinking!!
I am definitely going to send this to my local stations and then find a way to start listening so I can see if they play him.
Just a sidenote I have all of his cd's (singles and full length) and some downloaded songs from AI (which I would've purchase if they were available for purchase) without the help of radio. I also went to his concert and I have to say that die-hard Kelly fans were converted that night due to Clay's magical voice, stage presence, and personality.

We Love you Clay!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Anonymous
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2004, 10:08:00 PM »   

Thank you jamcarol, for posting that response from the Philly DJ. 

He makes a valid point.  This is why everyone needs to sign up for any Rate the Music links at their local radio stations website.  The 'testing' he refers to comes from sites such as Rate the Music and Promosquad, where you listen and rate different songs. 

If the majority of the results are skewed toward the 18-whatever male demographic, it's because they are the ones rating the songs at Promosquad and through other testing methods.  Marketing is not an exact science.  It is one of the only ways for an industry to determine what the public wants.  Focus groups are often used to gauge public opinion on a new product or service.  It's impossible to poll every single person, so a focus group is polled and the results are extrapolated throughout the target market.

See the 'Turn the Radio On' thread in Got Clay for more information about signing up for Promosquad!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Keverhart
  Regarding your letter
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2004, 06:03:19 AM »   

My mom works for a radio station here in Columbus, Oh, I am going to talk to her tomorrow, and see if there is an explanation.  The last time I talked to her, she stated to me that it is all up to the program directors and what seems to sell to people, and their particular demographic.  To me Clay fits mainly into the Mainstream/Top 40 but not quite, and he is more into the Adult Contempory, he is the in between if you know what I mean.  I love his music all together, and I don't care what demographic he falls in, I love it.  I don't know, I will see what I can conjure up for a meaning and let you all know.  I am also going to send her a copy of the letter, and se what that gets us.

Kevin

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  Writer's Corner - Fan Essays  |  7/18/04 Lynn Venhaus: An Open Letter to Radio PDs and DJs... (Read 10558 times)

gfxgfx
gfx