gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229519 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 12:38:10 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  Writer's Corner - Fan Essays  |  6/18/04 Shannon Williams: My Not So Uncommon Hobby
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 6/18/04 Shannon Williams: My Not So Uncommon Hobby  (Read 7720 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
6/18/04 Shannon Williams: My Not So Uncommon Hobby
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:08:51 AM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Shannon Williams: My Not So Uncommon Hobby
« on: June 18, 2004, 11:26:38 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Not So Uncommon Hobby
by Shannon Williams

Often a topic of conversation amongst peers is one's hobbies. Many people enjoy the outdoors and several people you know may have a garden. One of your friends might enjoy sports and playing sport games like baseball. When a friend and I discussed our hobbies, I quickly realized how boring my interests might seem to someone. I decided to take a look at my boring hobbies, and I quickly found my hobbies have a story and life of their own.

My all time favorite interest in life involves animals. The only animal I do not enjoy is a snake. I love dogs and cats, and I am always in the company of a beagle named Gypsy. People who do not know me might think Gypsy is a real person. I know Gypsy is not a person but she is the love of my life. I own five dogs and each one of them has their own distinct personality.

My other pastime involves a television show, and I thought, 'gosh, how boring is my life?'  My hobby is a television show, and for sure no one would think of TV as a quality interest. I found my interest in the TV show American Idol is not uncommon, and I found thousands of web sites to prove that my hobby is in fact interesting and normal.

Real people with real dreams compete to be the next singing superstar. It is estimated that more than 24 million people watch American Idol on TV during the week. I have a good friend who lives in Miami, Florida, and one day I called her and asked, "hey, what are you doing?" "Watching American Idol, I will call you back," and then she hung up the phone. Well that was quite rude I thought, I call long distance to say hi and she hangs up on me. I quickly turned on the TV to see what was so exciting about this American Idol. I quickly became like my friend and watched, taped or talked about every single American Idol show. My friend’s favorite topic of conversation is the concert Clay Aiken performed in Miami.

Nevertheless, she got to attend and here I am on the other side of Florida studying and working. That has been over a year ago, and she still to this day talks about that concert almost every time we talk to each other.

Thanks to the Internet I have been able to research my hobby - Clay Aiken, who was runner up on the second season of American Idol. My searching resulted in learning about a stranger named Clay Aiken. As a result of my searching, I learned not only about Clay Aiken, but I learned about myself also. I am a college student majoring in English and journalism. My professors all receive essays and articles about American Idol. Every single essay and article featuring American Idol thus far has earned me an A grade. Many of my professors wonder why my American Idol projects are so well written and many of the suggested topics or professor-selected topics are B papers. I shrug my shoulders and say well, the show interests me. I can still remember the very first A grade I earned and it was about American Idol.

Never in my life would I have said I could earn an A and at a college level. Many people in my life never would have believed I could attend college, and here I was earning As and it is all because of American Idol. I told my college counselor I did this for everyone who ever said I could not succeed.

I have thought my interest as boring, but I have learned that what I once thought was a boring hobby has made me happy and that is all that matters. As a result, I no longer think of my interests as boring. I learned that I am the only one I need to make happy. Be proud of who you are, and if your personal entertainment involves TV that is a wonderful hobby.

As a result, you just might learn more about yourself and a stranger. _____________________________________________________________
Shannon works part time at a tourist attraction in Florida, and is a college student. She lives with her sister and their dogs.  When she is not at school or at work, she relaxes by reading or writing.  She also spends some of her free time here at Claymaniacs.

Copyright 2004 Shannon Williams. Printed with the permission of the writer.

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 6/18/04 Shannon Williams: My Not So Uncommon Hobby
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:09:34 AM »
Prissy
 My Not So Uncommon Hobby
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 11:21:36 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon,

I really enjoyed your essay.  I imagine that you share your "uncommon hobby" with quite a few Clay fans! :D   I have a feeling that the passion you have for AI and Clay comes through in your writings, and that is why your professors are giving you your well deserved "A's."  Keep writing and posting!

Prissy

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:09:54 AM »
Sasha
 SHANNON WILLIAMS: MY NOT SO UNCOMMON HOBBY
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 12:10:03 AM »   

Shannon I enjoyed reading your esssay, you are a very talented and special girl keep up the good work. Don't every think of yourself as boring, everyone is uniquie and special in their own way. I also have a love for animals, I have two cats, they are my little buddies, I would be lost without them, animals bring us so much happiness.  When I come home from work having a bad day, my little buddies are always waiting for me and are always happy to see me.

Sasha

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 08:10:13 AM »
tessie
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 01:56:52 PM »   

Shannon,

What a wise girl you are!  It often takes a lifetime for people to learn to be content with who they are and satisfied with the things they personally enjoy.

How clever of you to turn an interest into A papers and well written essays.  Too bad more people can't figure out how to do that!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:10:37 AM »
ANGELA
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 04:37:20 PM »   

Shannon,
I loved your essay, you have a gift to write with eloquence & passion. 

Follow your dreams and write what is in your heart.  You are an artist and are gifted  words are your paint. 

Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

Angela

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:11:10 AM »
CT loves Clay
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 05:51:05 PM »   

Hobby, hobbyist - something that a peson likes to do or study in his spare time; favorite pastime of avocation; to be excessive devoted o one's favorite pastime or subject.

I am not a painter that dabs in art
but I do have Clay deep in my heart

I don't make pottery or collect butterflies
but I do love looking at Clay's green eyes

Stencilling and wallpaper isn't really my thing
but I do consider Clay the new pop King

What is my hobby? What would I say?
Excessively devoted to a man named CLAY!

Linda

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:11:44 AM »
lorraine
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 12:47:21 PM »   

I just love everyone's poetic writings.  Linda you were always so good that putting feelings and thoughts into words.  I will just read them for now and will not attempt to write.

Lorraine

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:06 AM »
CT loves Clay
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 12:58:48 PM »   

Thanks, Lorraine.  It's been a long time.  I don't write long stuff anymore!  Only when it comes to me.  Short and sweet!!! 

Linda

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:29 AM »
ANGELA
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 04:58:57 PM »   

Linda(CT loves Clay),
I REALLY LOVE YOUR POEM. BRAVO, BRAVO!! :D

Angela

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:50 AM »
CT loves Clay
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 08:33:34 AM »   

Thank you Angela.  You and Lorraine are boosting me up!  :

Linda

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  Writer's Corner - Fan Essays  |  6/18/04 Shannon Williams: My Not So Uncommon Hobby

gfxgfx
gfx