gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229516 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 08:50:20 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  Writer's Corner - Fan Essays  |  5/12/04 Amy Lee: Clay Has Left the Building....Clayton Has Arrived!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 5/12/04 Amy Lee: Clay Has Left the Building....Clayton Has Arrived!  (Read 15537 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
outthereforclay
  Amy Lee: Clay Has Left the Building....Clayton Has Arrived!
« on: May 12, 2004, 01:18:08 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clay Has Left the Building...Clayton Has Arrived!

Last night on Leno we were given a treat. We saw a kid bounce out onto arguably the "biggest" stage on national television and exchange witty banter with arguably the "biggest" talk show host on national television. This self-effacing small-town boy with the big smile and infectious laugh divided his time between giggling at himself and his foibles (PUH--LEEZE, Clayton! Is taking your parents' car out for a quick spin to get pizza across the street from your house the most rebellious thing you ever did?  --Honey, you have to get out more!) and blushing at the intensity of the adoration heaped upon "OMC" from his "Claymates".

Oh, and did I say this guy can sing?

As that spaced-out dude from Earth Wind and Fire said last year during the AI competition, "You didn't LOOK like you could sing like that! You can SING! You've got CHOPS, man!" And last night those chops were disguised in clothing from what could have been the frontage window display of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory! What an outfit! What a hairdo!

What a hunk!

Last night Clayton Holmes Aiken got up on the carpet samples of Jay Leon's "Sears" store and sang for the folks. (However, we can assume he got paid more than a dollar this time to do so.) After making us feel silly giddy with his Opie charm and down home naturalness, he became otherworldly in his unnatural command of the stage, our ears, our eyes and our souls. From gangly, jittery, twittery kid who seemed not to know what to do with the energy or nerves or life force in all those arms and legs and hands and mouth (Did he EVER keep his mouth still while he was sitting on that couch? Talking, smirking, grinning, licking lips, poking cheeks with his tongue...Mr. Mobile Mouth as well as motor mouth! ) to..

perfect stillness...

Clayton stood there to sing the haunting lyrics as though both his own natural energy and that of the man for whom the song lyrics grieve had been sapped from him; as if it really were true that he was "broken". Even his vocal delivery, always sharp and incredibly "perfect", seemed to be telling us about the imperfections and the hesitancy of the "solitary" man in the song, and---I like to think---about the "humanness" of Clayton.

Hands completely still at his side, mic stand left unmolested, legs in a passive, non-threatening stance, Clayton sang of sadness, regret and lost chances with just the right amount of indifference to make us believe that he WAS that man and was resigned to live the consequences of his unfortunate choices. But as the song began to build (and the increasingly faltering band began to become a nuisance), something began to build in Clayton, too.

A slight movement of one hand, a tentative touch of the microphone stand with the other. A new insistence in the voice, even a bit of a challenge in the eyes. This man wanted to tell us something important, and if we had been lulled into a false inertia by the sense of inevitabilty in the first lonely verse, we began to sense that there was more...more to hear from him. "A little hope..." In previous performances he had sung these words in a soft, sweet plaintive voice that continued through "goes up in smoke", making us feel that he, too, had become resigned to having...nothing.

But last night there was a hint of anger in addition to resignation as he belted "hope", and that glimmer of resolution stayed intense throughout the line to prepare us for...

A man who, if not in control of his life in the song, was in total command of his song on the stage. Legs wide apart, body completely facing his audience, Clayton let us know that there was something powerful left in the man. He placed one big, beautiful, capable hand on the microphone itself...claiming it in a show of strength and...desperation? But he did not wrap his other hand around the mic stand in complete victory and dominance; instead, he merely touched the slender pole with his open palm, leaving his long fingers splayed outward as if not yet ready or brave enough to grasp for anything again, but as if still pleading for another chance, for...something.

His voice in that last chorus had no hint of weakness or defeat. He made us want to believe that this man, although broken and melancholy from his own foolishness, could find something strong or would eventually find something to sustain him. If "Solitaire" is the only game in town for him, he seems to have somewhere in him a bit of fire, enough of a life spark left to make it possible someday to "love again".

Clay Aiken was in complete command again. And we absolutely, undeniably, without a single sign of struggle, surrendered to the the commander. We realized that once again Clay had used his mastery at interpreting lyrics and melody to lead us to the exact place and along the very path he had designed all along.

But whom did we wave goodbye to as Jay and his other guests joined him after the last notes had faded? Why, there's Clayton again! All "Aw shucks, ma'm" and "Thank you very much, sir", shuffling his gonzo feet around as if not quite knowing where to put them without wreaking havoc, and grinning sheepishly as if he just KNOWS he's going to get a good talkin' to from Mama Faye when she finds out that he told everyone about that car caper!

And did anyone else feel an electric shock at one point during the farewells as Clayton stood in profile, no longer the one in the spotlight? That skinny guy in glasses up there with the funky clothes, the strange-looking hair and slightly stooped shoulders (Stand up straight, Clayton!)--Isn't that the same guy from that "Always and Forever" audition clip last year? 

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 5/12/04 Amy Lee: Clay Has Left the Building....Clayton Has Arrived!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 01:01:45 AM »
mrs. c.
 CLAY HAS LEFT THE BUILDING....CLAYTON HAS ARRIVED!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 01:56:09 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hands clapping wildy for Amy....I'm speechless, where does that come from? thank you outthere for the understanding and passion you put in that!!! I'm in awe!! I believe you have something there!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 01:02:08 AM »
Ms. Hip Shake
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 02:17:04 PM »   

As always, Amy....I stand and applaud ~Hippy claps wildly~  Beautifully said, my love.

.....what a gift for the written word.  Astounding!

You have said all that needs to be said....but, I will add one thing.  When we (fans) decide to love Clay....then we (fans) decide to love Clayton, as well.  They are one in the same...yesterday, today, always and forever.

And....love is unconditional.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:02:32 AM »
Glory
 great
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 02:20:40 PM »   

that was just delightful 

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:02:59 AM »
shaikeninseattle
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 02:42:52 PM »   

Your words drip with emotion! Well done!  :D

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:03:31 AM »
lorraine
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 04:04:34 PM »   

GREAT REVIEW OF LAST NIGHT.  THANK YOU.

I JUST LOVE ALL SIDES OF CLAY:  THE NERDY, THE KID IN HIM, THE SEXY, THE WHITTY.  THIS IS CLAY AND NO MATTER WHAT SIDE I SEE HIM BE I LOVE ALL OF HIM BECAUSE THAT IS CLAY AIKEN.

LORRAINE

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:03:57 AM »
cai
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 05:12:58 PM »   

Well written and well expressed.  I think part of the fascination of Clay Aiken is that you never know exactly who you are going to see at any given time.  He's mutable, constantly surprising as different aspects of his personality take over.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 01:04:31 AM »
ACcountryFan
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 06:22:24 PM »   

When we (fans) decide to love Clay....then we (fans) decide to love Clayton, as well.  They are one in the same...yesterday, today, always and forever.

=====================

it's just like Superman. when Clay's being interviewed he's Clark Kent and when he's on stage singing he's Superman...

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 01:04:56 AM »
Clara
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 08:08:03 PM »   

**Clapping, clapping, clapping...**
Can only one person give a standing ovation???? Well, that's what I'm giving you because that's what you deserve, Amy. An absolutely fantastic review. (Do I sound like Simon??? Hope not, Ugh!!)
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Love,
Clara

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 01:05:15 AM »
Carmen
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 08:26:42 PM »   

woah very very touching  :

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 01:05:36 AM »
wordsmith1223
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 08:49:38 PM »   

Bravo!
Excellent, outthere, really great. You said it all and said it so well.
I agree with you about the "audition"! I thought of that, too!
And you know, there's just never enough time -- when he's on the couch, telling stories, being so expressive and giggly and charming -- I just want more, more, more. Darn other guests!
That's why Larry King's whole hour with him will be so fabulous.
I gotta go get read for Idol.
Glad you took the time to write that.
Cheers,
LYnn

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 01:06:04 AM »
ANGELA
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 08:50:37 PM »   

CLAY SANG SOLITAIRE WITH SO MUCH EMOTION THAT HE MADE ME FEEL FOR THIS MAN.

THANK YOU FOR THAT REVIEW.

ANGELA

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 01:06:25 AM »
ChrisieD
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2004, 09:49:46 PM »   

I've watched the performance a million times all ready, but after reading that review, I had to watch it all over again. Fantastic review and I'm soo happy that he wore the glasses--I love that man is glasses !!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 01:06:42 AM »
clayaikenwow
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2004, 11:02:47 PM »   

Yeah last nights performance was just incredible his presence is so great , and he sngs with such emotion its unreal at time !!!!!!!!!!! Excellent job OMC. I LOVED the glasses, and his interview was so cute and so goffy and sweet !!!!! I love that guy!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 01:07:09 AM »
Prissy
 CLAY REVIEW
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2004, 02:10:18 AM »   

CLAYTON....CLAYTO....CLAYT....CLAY....CLAYT....CLAYTO....CLAYTON

outthereforclay,

That was a beautifully eloquent review.  It does seem that Clayton became Clay and is now becoming Clayton again. Yet, they are one and the same. Clay/Clayton is the whole package; a wonderful human being with a fantastic voice.

Thank you for your very articulate words.

Prissy

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  Writer's Corner - Fan Essays  |  5/12/04 Amy Lee: Clay Has Left the Building....Clayton Has Arrived!

gfxgfx
gfx