gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229521 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 06:08:11 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  10/20/03 CLAY AIKEN - A 'REAL' POP STAR
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 10/20/03 CLAY AIKEN - A 'REAL' POP STAR  (Read 2047 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
10/20/03 CLAY AIKEN - A 'REAL' POP STAR
« on: April 28, 2010, 12:30:24 AM »
Cruiser
  CLAY AIKEN - A 'REAL' POP STAR
« on: October 20, 2003, 10:23:53 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clay Aiken - A 'Real' Pop Star
By A. A. Jones

Ok, so Clay Aiken’s new CD Measure of a Man has been on the shelves for almost a week now. I’ve read with interest many of the negative (as well as positive) reviews on Clay’s entry level addition to the “real” pop world. I’m quite amazed and amused at some of the comments I’ve read - apparently many of these reviewers and ‘critics’ live in their own little world.

I too purchased the CD and have listened to it several times, trying to be neutral and fair in my own ‘review’ to myself. I read several critical reviews before being entertained to a three day performance by my CD player. After reading the reviews I was expecting to hear a less than average collection of songs, by a guy that is not a “real” pop-star and who is attempting to break into the elite circle of performers who adorn the charts with their hip and ‘edgy’ tunes. I must admit those phrases have not come to mind in a long-time listening to many of today’s ‘hits’. I’d read comments along the lines that Clay isn’t a “real” artist. After all, not too long ago he was just a kid in college. It’s only his appearance on American Idol, mystically hypnotizing millions of people into delusion, that has brought him where he is today!

It’s almost as if he’s breaking all the rules by not spending years ‘clubbing it’, waiting to be discovered by some record exec. But no, not Clay. He entered a competition, nearly won (or did “win” in the eyes of many fans), and has now produced a CD. What? Can he do that and expect to be respected and admired by the music industry? Apparently not. But, to the people who keep the record industry in business (the consumer), he can and has done exceptionally well for his first time out. He has proved he can sing any song - his CD is full of future number ‘ones’, and the more you listen, the more you realize what an amazing talent he has.

But, they repeat over and over again, he’s not a “real” pop-star. So what is a real pop-star? Let’s see - if you had to list the job description, what would you come up with? The person has to have talent? The person must be able to hold any song well? The individual must have an appealing personality? They must be able to appeal to a specific age group, or to any age group? The prospective singer must give the fans what they want? This is open for discussion, because apparently we have not known what we have wanted for a long time. We’ve relied on record companies to produce what they consider ‘hip’ and ‘in’. Whether it be pulsating music masking the inadequacies of the singer or songs which constantly fill our ears with stories of violence or hate or sex or gangs. Plus, I don’t know about you, but I find that listening to today’s “chart” music there isn’t a lot of difference between one artist and the next.

So, where were we? Oh yes, the job description. Ok, so we have – talent, voice, personality, appeal, morals maybe, and ok, let’s go with “look”. So from reading many of the reviews, it appears our Mr Aiken doesn’t possess these, right? Wrong! Of course he does. Only a fool would miss the obvious appeal he has generated. We are tired. Tired of the same old stuff, tired of the same style of boy bands, females who rely totally on their looks or stage acts, and most of all, tired of listening to studio generated music without any vocal abilities being obvious in the singers delivery.

Barry Manilow? Pat Boone? I don’t think so. Even if he was a ‘clone’ of these artists they did very well thank you! As far as Clay’s “religious” persona. So what? Many of you probably have never heard of Cliff Richard a “pop-star” from England, who’s been in (and at the top of) the business for over 45 years. He is a Christian and his songs also are about “normal” everyday things such as love, life, etc. If you’ve never heard of him, check him out at: www.sir-cliff.com (he happens to now be “Sir” Cliff Richard for his contribution to “pop music”) This guy has been in the charts spanning every decade from the 50’s onwards, and he’s still going strong and as popular at 63 yrs old!!!

So then, what is the problem with Clay. Why are critics panning him? I guess because he is not as manufactured as the majority of today’s “artists”. He’s sticking to his principles, and at the same time wants to provide entertaining, listenable, varied music to the people. For those who don’t like him, they never will. He doesn’t represent what the industry has stagnated into over the last decade or so. He doesn’t represent the “shock” factor which drives people to buy the music or magazines simply out of curiosity. Have you ever wondered if any of the current “top” artists would ever make it into the final ten of American Idol? Or even be complimented on their ability to pull-off a “Broadway” song ‘live’ on stage!! I’m guessing very few! Clay has many industry insiders, critics, and wheel-churners confused. He’s just a nice guy, with a great personality, high morals, and the most astounding voice since the likes of Elvis, Sinatra, Elton, and many more “real” artists. I actually think of David Cassidy when I hear Clay sing. Maybe it’s just me….

So Clay, if you are labeled the next Barry Manilow, (Sir) Cliff Richard, or Pat Boone don’t worry about it. Your growing number of fans will continue to enjoy, purchase, and talk about your music for a long time to come. Simply because you are the “new” real pop-star!

ELITES TV
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 10/20/03 CLAY AIKEN - A 'REAL' POP STAR
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 12:32:34 AM »
jazzlvr2
  Clay Aiken -- a real Pop Star
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 11:28:41 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Cruiser for your comments.   I couldn't agree with you more.  I just do not believe the industry knows what to do with him.   They didn't create him, so he may be more difficult to control.  He has values and doesn't put success as his #1 priority at the expense of his beliefs.  This could be dangerous.   He has a huge fanbase who actually are very vocal and active, ie: cd release parties all over the world not initiated by a large corporation.  Maybe we can make a difference---how scary is that to the powers that be?   Obviously they haven't been doing very well lately , as album sales are at an all time low and they have had to lower the cd price to get more consumers to buy them.  Maybe it is because there hasn't been anything worth buying or listening to lately.   
   I think Clay has such a fantastic voice, he could sing a cereal commercial and I would stop and llisten.  My only complaint of the cd might be that , even though he has done many of the harmonies on different tracts, I would like to have heard more of just Clay singing with little  overtones.   Again, I think they just aren't used to someone who can actually sing.  You also have to consider how quickly Clay made this album.   It sometimes takes months or years for recording artists to release a new cd.   
  As far as the critics are concerned,  hopefully Clay has a strong enough sense of self to realize that criticism is to be expected and to take what may be constructive and learn from it and what is not constructive and let it go, as he did with many of Simon's criticisms on AI.   What is interesting to me are the reviews by other musicians who have nothing but praise for his cd. 
  I guess the bottom line is that time will tell, who was right.  As Clay says, he doesn't know if this a flash in the pan, or a long term career.  Clay says he's a realist and I usually am too, but in this case I want to be an idealist and   have Clay to entertain us and make our world a better place for many years to come.   lol, DiAnn

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 10/20/03 CLAY AIKEN - A 'REAL' POP STAR
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:33:02 AM »
cassms
  Clay as a Real Star
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 01:05:03 PM »   

I agree so much with your two posts.  So many of these critics just can't see past their own formulas.  There are so many of us who have been completely left out of the music scene (for decades now, really) who want to hear someone with a clear, beautiful voice (not just someone who can sing if drowned out or heavily assisted by studio techno-sound), someone who wants to sing songs with meaningful lyrics, someone we're proud to acclaim.  Maybe MOAM sales will be a wake-up call to the music industry.  And I look forward to more Clay, more in his control and more beautiful than ever!

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  10/20/03 CLAY AIKEN - A 'REAL' POP STAR

gfxgfx
gfx