gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229519 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 03:20:33 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  10/11/03 GOING PRIMETIME WITH CLAY AIKEN
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 10/11/03 GOING PRIMETIME WITH CLAY AIKEN  (Read 2290 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
10/11/03 GOING PRIMETIME WITH CLAY AIKEN
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:47:29 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic
 GOING PRIMETIME WITH CLAY AIKEN
« on: October 11, 2003, 04:46:14 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Going 'Primetime' with Clay Aiken
by Nick Smith
Special to NinerOnline.com
Updated: 10:56 p.m.
October 09, 2003

Remember a few weeks ago when Clay Aiken, UNC Charlotte's own "American Idol," made a surprise appearance on campus? He was there to film a segment for ABC's "Primetime Thursday" with Diane Sawyer, and that segment aired Thursday night, just in time for the release of Aiken's debut album, "Measure of a Man," due in stores next week.

Sawyer spoke with Aiken on a number of topics, including the grating criticism he often received from "American Idol" host Simon Cowell. Asked about the most withering commentary from the perpetually angry Brit - for his performance of "Grease," complete with dancing and fire-engine red leather jacket - Aiken replied "I shouldn't have danced... it was horrible!"

"I think the hip shake was a bigger mistake than the jacket was."
They also discussed Aiken's seemingly seeming lack of any real vices or "dark secrets": he doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't curse (although he did admit he'd probably slipped out the f-word on one or two occasions), and even changed a line in one of the songs on his upcoming album because he thought it misrepresented who he was.

He also confirmed again, despite rumor and innuendo, that he is not gay, something he'd also covered in a Rolling Stone cover story several months ago.  "I think it's high time somebody represents people who aren't gay and don't sleep around with everybody," Aiken said.
The conversation then turned to Aiken's difficult life growing up, from his abusive, alcoholic biological father, whom Aiken jokingly calls simply "a sperm donor," and the tragic suicide of his half sister.

"I think in some ways, in many ways, he was a symbol," said Aiken, referring to his father, "of what I didn't want to be."  Sawyer asked if there was anything he would like to hear from his father should they ever speak again. "I'd most like to hear him say 'I love you,' and mean it," said Aiken.

The segment was also scattered with clips of Aiken singing his signature song, "This Is the Night," as well as other songs from his forthcoming album, including the already well-received "Invisible."

He admitted that a tiny part of him wanted his album to do better than "American Idol" winner Ruben Studdard, but that he hoped that both of them, friends since the show, would be able to enjoy success.

Aiken also admitted that, despite what many people might believe, he would give up his stardom for a position in his original profession - teaching - if things don't work out too well. He mentioned that he was "very jealous" when he spoke to old classmates who were now teaching in their own classrooms.

"I want one," joked Aiken. "Measure of a Man" is due in stores Tuesday, October 14.

LINK
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  10/11/03 GOING PRIMETIME WITH CLAY AIKEN

gfxgfx
gfx