gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229517 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 10:05:22 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  10/7/03 REALITY TV WORLD DISSECTS THE TIME ARTICLE
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 10/7/03 REALITY TV WORLD DISSECTS THE TIME ARTICLE  (Read 2942 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
10/7/03 REALITY TV WORLD DISSECTS THE TIME ARTICLE
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:22:11 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
 REALITY TV WORLD DISSECTS THE TIME ARTICLE - GREAT READING!
« on: October 07, 2003, 06:00:59 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clay Aiken fights to keep sexual "edge" out of 'Measure of a Man' CD - and wins

Time magazine reports that American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken and his record label, RCA Records, battled continually during the making of his debut CD Measure of a Man over both content and career direction. Clay’s goal, to produce an album free from both sexual innuendo and “edge,” was strongly resisted by RCA executives led by label chairman and music industry legend Clive Davis. However, Clay's CD, scheduled for release on October 14, ultimately came out "clean" -- the way that Clay wanted it.

REALITY TV WORLD
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 10/7/03 REALITY TV WORLD DISSECTS THE TIME ARTICLE
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:22:49 PM »
cjrmax
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 12:18:37 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After reading this article I am more convinced than ever that the head honchos over at RCA are expecting failure from Clay and probably hoping for it so they don't have to deal with him any more.  Its like AI all over again. They seem to have an obvious preference for Ruben (of course, in fairness, Ruben did win so they have a bit more invested in his success) and an obvious disdain for Clay, or at least Clay's music.  What angers me is that TIME would publish such a one-sided article on Clay where it sends the message that even RCA, his own record label, doesn't believe in or like Clay's music.  This could be very damaging.  Clay will not succeed long term if ONLY fans of AI buy his records.  He needs to get people who had never watched AI and never heard of him before to buy his records and support him.  When I heard an article in TIME would be about him I thought it would be a great first step toward that.  TIME is a news magazine read by a wide variety of people, many of which have probably never seen AI.  It would give Clay much needed exposure to the world outside of AI.  Now, though, people will read how this is some uncool, squeaky clean young man with less talent than Barry Manilow who knows nothing about music and is only where he is because the viewers of AI know even less about music.  No one who hasn't heard Clay before (and let's face it - there are many) is going to be interested in hearing Clay after reading that article.  Radio stations will feel justified in NOT playing his music.  And that's a shame.  We can hope yet again that IF his cd sells well, I mean really, really well, it will wake some people up and convince them to give Clay's music a try.  But that didn't happen after TITN, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen this time either. 

Poor Clay.  He seems like a fish out of water in this business.  I love his music but I look at the real world here.  He won't change to fit the industry - and all the power to him for that.  But its very unlikely the music industry and the public will change to fit him.  Not to be pessimistic, but Clay may be doomed.  If he can't break out from those of us who have loved him since AI, he cannot succeed.  If his own record label doesn't appear to be behind him, what chance does he have?  I don't know what the answer is.  Maybe he'll wow people on The Tonight Show.  What he really needs is good radio exposure, and that doesn't seem likely to happen.   I suspect Ruben's album will sell more than Clay's - maybe not as fast but in the end as he gets more and more radio play and positive publicity.  Clay's will also get labeled as light pop fluff and Ruben's as a wonderful blend of R & B, soul and hip-hop (which it may very well be).  Unless this country really surprises me and goes against what it is told by the media, Clay may be doomed.  Sorry for the pessimism, but that TIME article and this follow-up really depressed me about the prospects for his future.  We know he's great.  We know he's special.  We know he's a rare and special talent.  The conundrum, however, is how does everyone else in America find out?

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:24:09 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 01:56:02 PM »   

cjrmax I appreciate your point of view.  It is frustrating.  However, I have a little bit different opinion I would like to share.  And I would love to hear your feedback on it as well.

I don't really believe that RCA expects Clay to fail.  They have spent a vast amount of money, time and energy to insure that Clay has good songs on his CD (Clay has said he loves all the songs) and to market him prior to it's release.  Just one look at the Clay TV thread will confirm that his appearance schedule is crazy right now and on throughout the end of the year.  Or I should clarify by saying it's a heavy schedule for someone releasing their first CD.  I think they expect him not only to succeed, but to set records with his sales! 

The comments in the TIME article are from just a couple of people at RCA.  They don't respect the path Clay took to his success; but they don't have to respect it.  They only have to respect HIM. 

They have a right to their opinion, however unprofessional it may seem to be speaking negatively about one of their own artists in a national publication such as TIME.  But think of the result of the comments that were made.  Clay's fans are up in arms!  We are more determined than ever to make sure he succeeds!  Kind of like after the finale of American Idol; when all us Clay fans were so sure he really won the competition that we helped Clay break a CD single sales record going back to 1997.  Ironic?  Maybe, or maybe not.

There is hardly any greater battle to be fought than that of the 'people' against 'The Man!' Behold the power of the people, the Clay fans.  And they will behold the power once again next week and in the upcoming weeks as we support Clay by buying the magazines he is featured in and buying his CD and requesting his songs on radio stations across the country, and watching his appearances on TV.  Word will spread.  People who were too 'hip' to watch AI will read about Clay, see him on TV and hear him on the radio.  Clay is different, his music is different.  I can see how it will appeal more to the masses than perhaps 'Shake Your Tailfeather.'  Not that there's anything wrong with that.    :P

Regarding the comment in the TIME article about Clay being 'vanilla.'  Yesterday, one of the Internet message board communities had Ben & Jerry's in NY deliver 10 pts of their flavor 'Vanilla for a Change' to Richard Sanders at RCA, who made the quote in the article.  This note was included:

"Even revolutionaries get hungry, so take a break and enjoy the full seduction of the senses with this fully flavored "Vanilla for a Change!" from Ben & Jerry's.  Let Clay be Clay!"

From all accounts, the people at RCA loved it.  They definitely 'got it' and they heard the fans again, loud and clear!

Clay does seem like a fish out of water in the music business.  However, that may work to his advantage in the long run.  He is a smart man who knows what he wants and won't compromise the important things.  He chooses his battles by the importance they have to him.  People do, and will admire him for that.  He knows he has a great talent, and that he has a solid fan base who will support him whether or not he is played on the radio or has a video on MTV.  He also has a great faith, and I feel that on the basis of all these things that he will continue to gain new fans and new support across the country and maybe even the world. 

Time will tell, but I have a good feeling about it.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 11:25:49 PM »
cjrmax
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 12:35:54 PM »   

Pamela - You make some excellent points.  I sometimes just get so frustrated at the media take on Clay and the apparent reluctance of people in the music industry - including radio execs - at realizing that Clay is an extraordinary talent with a huge fan base that should not be ignored.  I know not everyone at RCA feels negatively about Clay, and maybe it was just that the TIME article didn't seem very even-handed, but it just struck me as odd that with all the money and time invested in Clay and his cd that anyone there would say anything that negative about one of their artists in the media, especially this close to the release of his cd.  I also had to wonder about their skepticism regarding the path he has taken to this point.  Isn't this the same record label that put out Kelly Clarkson's cd that has gone platinum for them?  Didn't she take this same path? Don't they know that its not how you get there that matters but what you do once you are there? 

I LOVE the Ben and Jerry's vanilla being delivered to RCA!!! That is priceless!!  What a great statement!

It seems to me the person who would be bothered the least by this kind of stuff would be Clay.  He strikes me as a man very secure with who he is and who is obviously willing to fight for his beliefs.  You are right, it may very well benefit him in the long run.  I just worry that if he isn't heard on the radio more his fan base will never grow significantly and in the end that will be very telling in regards to his longevity. 

I live in the Philadelphia radio market.  After TITN came out I searched for a station that played it.  I found one who did - rarely.  This depsite the fact they had an online poll on their website asking for your favorite song. They had about 20 to choose from, including TITN.  At various time TITN had as much as 90% of the votes, and even today it has 70%, yet still this station never plays it!  I have yet to hear "Invisible", but maybe they are waiting until the cd has been released.  While Clay may be hard to categorize, I frequently hear songs on the radio that would be in a similar category to Clay's, whatever that may be.  Where would one put Sarah McLaughlin, for example? So why don't they play Clay?  The cynic in me thinks it may be because his record label doesn't push for his songs to be played.

I think because I became so taken with Clay and his music I want others to experience the joy too.  I think back on AI and from day 1 I was taken with Clay, and other than obviously realizing he had an amazing voice, I can't say why.  I thought all along last year that Kelly Clarkson had an amazing voice but I didn't buy her cd or single.  Clay's music isn't what I usually gravitate to, yet I do to his.  The fact is I don't really like the song "Invisible" that much, but when I hear him sing it it makes me smile.  I guess I figure if he can make me feel this way for no logical reason it would be nice if others who maybe never watched AI had the chance to experience Clay too.  Without wide spread radio play I don't see how this can happen.  Without a more positive take in a major publication from TIME from his own record label, I don't see how it can happen.

You are right.  This is a fight of the people.  Hopefully The Powers That Be in the industry will hear our rallying cries and realize this is a battle they can't win.  Its just kind of sad it has to be a battle at all.

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  10/7/03 REALITY TV WORLD DISSECTS THE TIME ARTICLE

gfxgfx
gfx