gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229528 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 29, 2024, 02:01:27 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  10/5/03 BUILDING A BETTER POP STAR - TIME MAGAZINE ARTICLE
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 10/5/03 BUILDING A BETTER POP STAR - TIME MAGAZINE ARTICLE  (Read 3646 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
 BUILDING A BETTER POP STAR - TIME MAGAZINE ARTICLE
« on: October 05, 2003, 10:16:59 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Building a Better Pop Star
The record industry needs a savior. American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken could be it. Now will he play along, or is his style too far off-key?
By JOSH TYRANGIEL
From the Oct. 13, 2003 issue of TIME magazine
Sunday, Oct. 05, 2003

Ask the employees at Clay Aiken's record label, RCA, if they would listen to Aiken's debut album, Measure of a Man, by choice, and the response is almost uniform: a lengthy pause followed by laughter. RCA was the home of Elvis Presley, and its current roster includes critical favorites like the Strokes and the Foo Fighters. It's a rock label. Aiken, who came in second on the most recent installment of American Idol, is not only not a rocker, but, as he says in his aggressively self-deprecating way, "I'm not an artist. I'm just a guy who was on a reality show—and I didn't even win!" Humility aside, Aiken, 24, doesn't mind being doubted because he believes in his bones that his detractors are wrong. "There are many people at the record label who are afraid of me," he says. "They don't understand the reasons that someone as uncool as me is here. In a way—and this is a horrible word to say, and once I say it you're going to print it—it's a revolution."

The revolution of which Aiken speaks is a TV show. In two seasons on the air, American Idol has snatched the notoriously vague process of selecting musical talent away from music executives and put it in the hands of ordinary Americans. In a convenient syllogism, Aiken believes that since everyday people chose him as their hero, those at RCA who don't like him or his music are biased against everyday people. He may be right. It's also possible that his denigrators love music—and the process of making music—far more than Aiken can imagine and that they resent having their passion marginalized by anyone with a telephone and a taste for Bee Gees medleys. "I don't know why people relate to me," says Aiken, "but my guess is that they're tired of beautiful, cookie-cutter pop stars. They don't believe them, and they don't trust them."

With Measure of a Man's Oct. 14 release around the corner, it is now an incidental fact that Aiken did not actually win American Idol. Thirty-four million people watched last May as Ruben Studdard edged out Aiken by less than 1% of the votes. Studdard was the more polished singer, but Aiken was the better narrative. Week to week, with the help of a hair iron and contact lenses, he was transformed from a complete geek who sang show tunes into a better-looking geek who sang pop ballads. After the Idol finale, interest in Aiken surged, and his startlingly sincere first single, This Is the Night, trounced Studdard's to become the best-selling single since Elton John's reworked Candle in the Wind. Modern rock radio, which is dominated by hip-hop, nu-metal and irony, was overwhelmed by a wave of requests and was forced to play Aiken's song. Rolling Stone put him on its cover and had to increase the print run to meet demand. Richard Sanders, executive vice president and general manager of RCA Records, caught on early to what he calls the "emotional connection" Aiken forged with the Idol audience, and he decided that regardless of who won on the show, RCA was going to sign Aiken. (In a deal struck with the show's creator, Simon Fuller, RCA has the right of first refusal for all American Idol finalists. So far, the label has signed inaugural winner Kelly Clarkson, her runner-up Justin Guarini and Aiken; Studdard was signed by sister label J Records.) Sanders made his name as a music executive by signing Moby. He won't say whether he's a fan of Aiken's music—"But I'm a disciple of the phenomenon," he offers, flashing a wry smile. "There is no Ed Sullivan Show anymore, no opportunity for two or three generations to listen to music together and have a good time. I'm into being the guy that provides that."

Many members of the RCA staff are fond of Aiken, if not his music, and are willing to go along with Sanders. But a healthy minority have curiously deep reservoirs of disdain for the Idol industry. One RCA executive, who insisted on anonymity, cited Idol as proof that "Americans have no taste" and described Aiken as "Barry Manilow, but with less talent." Sanders says he understands that some of his employees are "skeptical about the selection process and skeptical about selling a pop artist with no credibility." But, he adds, "I've told everyone they need to look at it this way: Americans buy more vanilla ice cream than any other flavor. Yes, they like their Rocky Road and Cherry Garcia, but ultimately America wants to consume vanilla. So we're going to sell the best vanilla. Given the problems we're facing as an industry, we cannot afford to be judgmental." Clive Davis is not a man easily stripped of his judgment. Davis, as he often reminds people, discovered Janis Joplin, Patti Smith and Whitney Houston. Despite his status as chairman and CEO of the RCA music group, he still considers himself an A.-and-R. (artist-and-repertoire) man, which means he loves matching singers to songs. It is Davis' job to gather material from professional songwriters for the Idol albums, oversee their production and put his stamp of good taste on every finished product. Shortly after the Idol finale, Davis invited Aiken to his home to discuss Aiken's debut. "I told him," says Davis, "that he is a marvelous talent and that This Is the Night is a very strong song, but it is a souvenir of a television show, and we have to get beyond that. It is my feeling that when you get into being a career recording artist, the stakes are different. People want to see if you can stretch and evolve. They want to know if you have some edge."

Before appearing on American Idol, Aiken was a special-education teacher in Raleigh, N.C. He is a devout Baptist who does not smoke or drink, though he claims to have a temper that emerges when he sees "people with disabilities treated like they're 4 years old." In his piety, Aiken can make Billy Graham seem like a rogue. He listened to Davis' advice about edge and then respectfully asked that he not be required to sing any songs about sex. "Clive tried to tell me that saying certain words in a song—or as he says, 'putting some balls into it'—isn't bad, it's just strong emotion," says Aiken. "Well, there are certain words and emotions I don't want kids hearing, and I'm not changing because they think it's going to sell better. This is going to sound horrible, but I got 12 million votes doing what I did."

Davis counters that Aiken is no longer selling to a TV audience. "You can't worry about who bought the last single," says Davis from his seat in an office studded with platinum-record plaques. "You can't be paralyzed by what the public expects of you. We're now competing against Justin and Christina and Avril and Pink, and if you allow the television audience to program your music, you will not be on radio and you won't make MTV. And then where are you? We have to stay ahead of the curve."

Aiken had been forewarned by Clarkson and Guarini that if he was happy with 50% of his completed album, he'd be "doing real good." The problem, they told him, was that there were too many people wrestling for control of their music. "Simon Fuller did not create American Idol to be in the television business," says Tom Ennis of Fuller's production company, 19 Entertainment. "He created American Idol as a new way to find talent to manage and nurture." 19 is the Idols' official record label—RCA is the American distributor—and Fuller, who managed Annie Lennox before inventing the Spice Girls, is Davis' contractual equal in choosing music for the Idol albums.

Here's where the American Idol business gets dicey. Davis would like RCA to curate the careers of artists; Fuller wants his Idols to have long recording careers too, as long as they don't forsake the Idol audience. (Fuller was incensed that Davis spent eight months refining Clarkson's debut for radio rather than getting it to market as soon as possible.) "You have to serve many masters when you have that many people with a vested interest in you," says Ennis. "You can't skew yourself one way and not speak to the people who spent all that time watching you and voting for you."

Ennis and 19 have market research on their side. As Davis suggests, avid music fans expect their stars to evolve. But the Idol audience, which has an unprecedented ownership stake in Aiken's career, is not made up of avid music fans. A disproportionate number of copies of This Is the Night were sold at Wal-Mart and Target stores, and a large number of those discs were picked up in the check-out lane, where Sanders positioned Idol merchandise to catch the eye of people who wouldn't think of stopping in the music section. "Our consumer is the middle 80% of the population," says Gerry Lopez, president of Handleman Entertainment Resources, which stocks and manages music offerings at such stores as Wal-Mart. "These are moms and dads making $26,000 to $36,000 a year ... We're not catering to Napster or Kazaa folks, just people who like a nice song sung by a nice kid." Because it pays the full retail price and doesn't download music, the Idol audience is a record company's dream; because it doesn't have indulgent, wide-ranging tastes, it can be an artist's nightmare. Studdard got so frustrated trying to tailor his upcoming album, Soulful, to the Idol audience that in early July he called his various managers and label representatives and, according to several sources, threatened to quit. "This is my car," Studdard said, according to an executive who was on the call. "If you guys want to navigate, that's great. If you guys want to drive, then you better get a new car." Studdard is now working with Missy Elliott and R. Kelly on what an RCA executive termed "a credible, clean hip-hop album."

If Studdard appears to be a Clive Davis kind of guy, then Aiken definitely sides with Fuller. "Simon Fuller is the one person I trust in all this," says Aiken, and the proof is on Measure of a Man, which is the rare pop album completely free of innuendo, let alone sex. Instead of adding edge lyrically, Davis and another A.-and-R. executive, Steve Ferrera, were forced to play with Aiken's sound, using crunchy power chords in place of benign synth pads and encouraging Aiken to put some power into his ballads. Says Aiken: "I'm very satisfied with my album. I grew as a singer, and Clive deserves a lot of the credit for that."

Still, pop isn't just music. It's a package, and Aiken has had numerous frustrations with the way RCA has tried to tweak his image. Everyone—label, management and Aiken—was thrilled with Aiken's Rolling Stone cover shoot, so photographer Matthew Rolston was hired to direct a video for This Is the Night. In it the story line was ... Clay Aiken does a magazine photo shoot. "They had me in this tight little vintage T shirt and jeans and a leather jacket," says Aiken. "And (Rolston) had me sing the song in one scene with this angst attitude—popping my neck and mean looks on my face ... It's trying to make me somebody I'm not. I'm not mean, and this is something the label just doesn't get. 'How the heck do we market this boy? We're used to marketing Christina Aguilera and Dirrty. We can't market clean!'"

Aiken laughs off most of RCA's foibles—like the time he was forced to change his unstylish shoes before appearing at an industry convention, or the airbrushing of his eyes on the Measure of a Man album cover—because he believes that the label is clueless about how to market to an audience he knows instinctively. "I'm a battle picker," he says. "I try not to get upset about all this marketing stuff because I'm saving it for the time that they tell me that I need to do a song about 'Let's hook up and have sex.' But I'm like, 'Do not—ugh!—don't pretend that the public are a bunch of idiots! Don't pretend that you know what they want and they don't know what they want.' That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life!" Of course, anticipating the tastes of the public—knowing that the world might be ready for a black woman to sing about respect, for example—is exactly what great creative executives do. They don't make art, but they facilitate it, fight for it and nurture it, often in the face of public opposition or apathy. Record companies have always made plenty of music aimed at the heart of the market, but the frustration of the anti-Idol RCA executives—and many others throughout the industry—comes down to timing. At the exact moment that American Idol has created a surge of people who buy their music with their mints as an impulse item, file sharing has siphoned off nearly all the adventurous record buyers. That leaves a whole lot of people buying Sanders' vanilla and very few interested in his Rocky Road.

It is telling that in just five months with RCA, Aiken has won most of his battles. The This Is the Night video was scrapped at considerable expense. His album is family-friendly pop. Aiken got to name his record Measure of a Man, even though Davis lobbied for any other title. The marketing department now says its strategy is to "let Clay be Clay." "Revolution is a strong word," says Aiken. "But RCA would not have picked me or Ruben. Simon Cowell would not have picked us. America has shown them that they don't know what they're talking about."

TIME MAGAZINE ARTICLE

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 10/5/03 BUILDING A BETTER POP STAR - TIME MAGAZINE ARTICLE
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:14:09 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 06:34:07 PM »

One RCA executive, who insisted on anonymity, cited Idol as proof that "Americans have no taste" and described Aiken as "Barry Manilow, but with less talent."

This would piss me off except for the fact that I don't care.  I wonder why he wanted to be 'anonymous'; was he ashamed of his own insulting comments to Clay, his family, his fans, regular people and most Americans? This is the whole problem with the music industry right now - if I liked Britney Spears or Fifty Cent does that mean I would have 'taste?'  I think not.  I'll decide what I like, not some executive suit who drives a $100K car and hasn't paid his own bills in decades.

Sanders says he understands that some of his employees are "skeptical about the selection process and skeptical about selling a pop artist with no credibility." But, he adds, "I've told everyone they need to look at it this way: Americans buy more vanilla ice cream than any other flavor. Yes, they like their Rocky Road and Cherry Garcia, but ultimately America wants to consume vanilla. So we're going to sell the best vanilla. Given the problems we're facing as an industry, we cannot afford to be judgmental."

I can understand the skepticism about American Idol and the fact that these are unseasoned amateur singers, but 'no credibility?'  Ruben was a voice major in college with obvious career goals in music.  Clay had been singing in school, church and local venues for years.  He had recorded a CD of cover songs at his own expense.  I consider that to be 'dues paying' but evidently you have to 'suffer' in order to have street credibility in the music industry.  As far as the 'vanilla' comment, that's just humorous.  I love vanilla; but I also love chocolate, butter pecan and chunky monkey.  Sometimes mixed all together.  I love Clay, and I also love Sting, Lenny Kravitz, Andrea Bocelli, Norah Jones and India.Arie.  Most of these artists sing music with a positive message.  Most of them aren't in the Top 40.  Why not?  Because it doesn't matter.  They are all successful in their own right without a lot of radio play, because they have strong fan bases that support them and buy their music anyway. 

Clay's fans are some of the most dedicated and loyal out there.  When his CD is released next week I hope he goes multi platinum in the first week.  Then I'd like to hear what Mr. Anonymous has to say.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:15:30 PM »
macciesmom
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 10:12:07 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I too read with eagerness the Time magazine article about Clay. To be honest I was disappointed. It's was interesting to hear how biased RCA really is regarding Clay and his talent. Praise God, that Clay is strong in his faith, and knows how he wants his image and his testimony projected to the world. I was especially irritated with the comment from the RCA executive, made anonomously -

One RCA executive, who insisted on anonymity, cited Idol as proof that "Americans have no taste"
First of all, why anonymity?   Why not take a page out of Clay's book and have the guts to put his name to his beliefs?  What does RCA & that executive consider taste? Is it partial nudity, sexual innuendoes and orgasmic gyrations? Is it the use of the F word every other word, or lyrics that can't be understood or cause embarrassment just by listening? Is it a beat so loud and so pulsating that you can't hear the artist's voice?

Taste to me is precisely what Clay Aiken exudes. He is refreshing, a breath of fresh air. He carries himself with dignity. He's respectful to all people & women in particular. He's sensitive to images & words that could negatively affect the youth of our country. His physical image (whether RCA calls him a geek or not), his sincerity, his wholesome open personality, his obvious faith in his God  - all these things show taste  to me. Americans have been waiting for a Clay Aiken for years. I applaud him for holding strong to his integrity and morals in an increasingly slimy industry. Unfortunately money is the bottom line, regardless of the damage those artists RCA think have "taste" are doing to our society and future generations. Slime sells. I understand that there is market for "club" music. But there is also a huge paying market of Americans that are waiting for music to listen to, music we find ourselves singing during the day, and music we're not ashamed to have our children listen too. When will RCA and the other recording studios get it? I will continue to buy Clay Aiken CD's and any other artist that starts to move the industry back to what those "tasteless" Americans are craving!

I sent off an email to RCA and hope some more of you do too. info@rcarecords.com

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 11:16:20 PM »
Miromom
  The target audience
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 12:38:51 AM »   

It's time record executives realize that people over the age of 18 like music too. We are unimpressed with videos that could qualify as soft porn or female singers that look like prostitutes.
We're old fashioned. We like songs with touching lyrics, good melodies and are sung by genuine and not studio enhanced voices.
The fact that Clay is appealing to all generations is amazing. A teenager and her mother listening to the same CD! Just imagine! Music can bring people together and positive music brings us together in a positive way.
But the real problem with marketing Clay is that he doesn't fit into any category and the music business today is nothing but categories. For the past few years I've been saying that if the Beatles tried to get into the music business today they would be turned away because they are too original and their songs have too much variety.
The music business needs to wake up and start encouraging new, innovative music.  I've stopped listening to the radio because all the songs sound the same.
Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees commented on this and how different the music world was in the 60's. He said that in the 60's everyone was trying to be the group that came up with the new sound or style. Today everyone wants to sound like everyone else.
I miss the 60's. We desperately need a new Renaissance in music.
Julie

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 11:16:53 PM »
Clayomyheart
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 09:45:07 AM »   

The thing these anonymous (aka cowardly) RCA executives can't stand is that Clay is, in his own words, revolutionary.  He is soooooo differerent from the stuff they have been marketing for years and they can't stand that someone who is so cleancut, honest, and  full of integrity is connecting with the American public so strongly.  To acknowledge him is to admit their instincts for talent could be wrong.  They think they are so hip and cutting edge, but IT IS CLAY who on the cutting edge and they can't stand it.  Their minds can't let go of the 1960's counter-culture mentality.  THE FUNNY THING IS THAT CLAY IS COUNTER-CULTURE TODAY !!!  What, no suggestive lyrics, no females dressed like prostitutes gyrating around him, no foul language, no arrests, no triumph over drugs story?  Imagine that?    He is clearing his own path, because no one out there sounds or acts like he does.  He isn't a breath of fresh air, he is an arctic blast!

The truth is that money does talk, and Clay will be very successful, whether these so-called executives like it or not.  They will continue to sign him because he will be huge, heck, he already is.  Some of them may become converts, and some will never get his appeal.  I have  been bored with the whole music scene for years.  Along comes Clay and  my love for music has been reinvigorated. They should bow down and kiss Clay Aiken's feet for showing them a new, and exciting direction, (and for making them all richer) but their snobbery, and arrogance won't allow them.

Clay's triumph will come when his first cd goes multi-platinum.  Let's vote with our dollars, Clay fans!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 11:17:55 PM »
  Post by cjrmax
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 04:32:39 PM »   

Post by cjrmax:

I also read the Time article with interest. First off, the very fact that a news magazine like Time did on article on Clay shows what an impact on our society he has had in a very short period of time! Secondly, I too was offended by the remark of that anonymous source at RCA. Record company executives are the only ones with taste? They may know what sells - that's their job - but that doesn't mean its tasteful! Not to mention, as someone else has already suggested, liking Clay doesn't mean you ONLY like Clay. I have very eclectic taste in music. I like a variety of artists and a variety of musical styles. Frankly, I have not liked anyone like Clay - pure pop - in years and I admit, normally I probably wouldn't be drawn to his style. But there is something about Clay. The fact that he can't be catagorized isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have read where when Elvis and The Beatles first came on the seen they were not expected to last for that very reason. They couldn't be catagorized. They didn't fit into what was popular for that day. While I doubt Clay will ever become as legendary as The Beatles or Elvis (though it is possible!) maybe he will be the trail blazer for a new genre of music today as they were in their day.

I admire that Clay is secure enough in who he is to stand up for his values. I also admire that he is smart enough to pick his battles. As long as he doesn't become evangelical with his music I think people will admire his openess and honesty in his image. The fact he is a "good Christian" mean nothing to me but I think I have always been attracted to the fact he is comfortable in his own skin, which is a rarity in life. In the Elle magazine article he was talking about how he hoped this business wouldn't change him, that he didn't think it would. He told the writer that she should come back in 5 years and if he had changed she should slap him (or something like that). For some reason, I don't think she'll need to do that. Maybe just maybe this country, this world, is ready for someone who sings great and honestly. Maybe we're ready for someone who can't be cubby holed into a particular genre. Maybe we're ready for someone who makes listening to music enjoyable, plain and simple. You know what they say about simple pleasures being the best!

What worries me is the that if the RCA folks keeps sending out these negative vibes about one of its own artists, what does that say to the radio executives who choose whether or not to play an artist's music? We know from TITN that huge record sales don't necessarily translate into more radio play. Has anyone even heard "Invisible" on the radio yet? I haven't. What do their negative comments say to those who decide who deserves a Grammy? I think its counter-productive for RCA executives to give off anything negative about one of their own artists. Clay is already a phenomenon. Can't they just market that fact? Can't they say hey, he may not fit into any accepted genre right now but the people love him. Not just those low-middle income folk who shop at Walmart and Target. Not just the 50 plus housewives longing for their youth. No just teeny boppers. But also educated professional men and women who are computer savvy, who know music and who have good taste.

That's what makes Clay so amazing. He transcends age, socio-economic groups, race, gender and creed. And yet, because we're told he's not cool, many of us (and I sheepishly admit to being one of them) are closet Clay lovers. We're the ones who buy Clay at Amazon.com so as not to be seen buying Clay out in public! Its time the folks at RCA stop marketing Clay as if they are embarrassed by him and start showing pride in their newest young superstar. Maybe then more of us will start coming out of the closet. Maybe then the radio executives won't shrink from playing Clay. And maybe then those in the music industry and in the media will stop trying to fit Clay into an existing category and realize he is in a category - and a class - by himself. Maybe then more like him will get their chance to be heard. Give the people what they want and there will joy all over!

Sorry to have gone on so long!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 11:18:55 PM »
fwong52
  SEX SELLS BUT I WON'T BUY IT!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 01:31:38 PM »   

The music industry appeals to the lowest common denominator to enhance sales.  Young female pop stars shake bosoms in the faces of viewers and dance in provocative ways often scantily attired.  Some of Barry White's music was disgustingly vulgar--What was that about "body lotion?"  Didn't Michael Jackson grab his crotch as he performed?  Hasn't Madonna made a lucrative career out of pushing the sexual envelope?  Even Shanaia who seems like a sensible person in everyday life has performed in titillating and questionable fashion.  Some may have packaged themselves in sexy ways; others have let themselves be packaged.  They become part musician--part prostitute.

There's no denying the popularity of the above performers or the magnitiude of their record sales.  But I simply won't buy their music--no matter how musically talented they may be.  The music industry has contributed in no small way to the coarsening of the American culture.  They produce music that is designed to eroticize to promote the bottom line knowing full well that children will hear the music.  Children simply don't matter; record sales do.

I will support artists like Clay Aiken and others who take the high road!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 11:19:49 PM »
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2003, 10:37:44 PM »   

(Originally posted by Cats meow)

I just wanted to resond to the article. I'm pleased that they think Clay is great enough to talk about,but I'm not pleased with their commnts.
 I believe that everyone has an opinion and that's ok,because if we all liked the same thing then we would be in trouble. I'm not sure why  Josh Tyrangiel or whom ever thinks that no one wants to hear Clay's CD or would want to purchase it. Just because Clay had an opportunity to perform on a TV show and get reconized by millions of americans that fell in love with his God given talent  and the music industry people were not the one's to select him themselves:I'm sorry. Let's take a look at many of the different shows that give people the opportunity to be seen. Example: Star Search.
 Also let's take a look at the anonymous one that stated that Americans have no taste.  Well' I really don't think that there are that many americans that made the same mistake by choosing Clay. Clay is a remarkable young man that wants to share is talent with the world without having to stoop to ways and things he doesn't believe in.  Listen to what he says , He is not perfect but he does want to express himself and have a good clean time in doing so. Let's let Clay  be Clay.
 Why  does someone always have to degrade people that end up in the public eye. Let those that choose to support Clay ,just do that. Just because RCA is a pop/rock label doesn't mean that people aren't going to continue to support Clay. Clay fans are there because they love Clay Aiken. Give him a chance to let the world hear him and decide. If I'm not mistaken it is people that buy the CD's,concert tickets,watch the shows and whatever else that helps the music industry make their money.
  Don't think that we are all idiots.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 11:20:44 PM »
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2003, 10:41:01 PM »   

(Originally posted by phillyluvsclay)

All I can say is this " GIVE ME TWO SCOOPS OF THE VANILLA REVOLUTION ANYTIME OF THE WEEK!! " :P  :P  :P

We as comsumers should welcome the chance to prove Rca and Simon Cowell wrong by buying as many of Clay's cds as possible!!  :

VIVA  "THE VANILLA REVOLUTION"  :D  :D  :D

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Media & Appearance Archive  |  10/5/03 BUILDING A BETTER POP STAR - TIME MAGAZINE ARTICLE

gfxgfx
gfx