gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229920 Posts in 2575 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay April 23, 2024, 02:16:08 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2004 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MAY 20
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2004 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MAY 20  (Read 1917 times)

fhmmany2

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
2004 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MAY 20
« on: March 26, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »
 Author  Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MAY 20  (Read 1608 times) 

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MAY 20
« on: May 20, 2004, 04:35:18 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOOD MORNING, EVERYONE!!!

Toxic shock
Student parodies Britney Spears video

By Courtney Brigham
Wednesday, May 19, 2004
last updated May 19, 2004 2:04 AM

Three weeks ago, senior Jason Lee put up an away message with a link to a parody he had made of the Britney Spears “Toxic” music video. When he came back ten hours later, his friend and star of the video, freshman Elizabeth Hang, informed him that it had already been seen all over campus — Larkin was talking about it and so was Branner, along with random students from other dorms. Lee had been planning on premiering the video four days later at a Café Night event in FloMo.

“After the first day I got emails from about thirty friends across campus asking me about it,” Hang said.

“Somehow it just leaked,” Lee said. “I don’t know how it spread so quickly.”

Lee first became interested in filmmaking in December of last year when he bought a digital camera with a video feature. His first film was a music video to Clay Aiken’s “Invisible,” also starring Hang, in which he tells “a typical unrequited love story.” “Toxic” was Lee’s “Invisible Part II,” where Hang dies as a result of her unrequited love.

Lee searched through other sources for the sequel to “Invisible” before deciding to take on Spears’ popular music video. He contemplated Madonna’s “Don’t Tell Me” and Marcy Playground’s “Sex and Candy,” but in the end his disgust for the “Toxic” video inspired him to make his own version. Usually a fan of Spears, he was disappointed that all the video seemed to say was, “I’m an airline stewardess and a slut, both at the same time.”(SNIP)

“I play a lot of music while I’m working to keep myself in a good mood,” Lee said. “Toxic was a chance for me to parody Britney, parody myself and finish what I started with my ‘Invisible’ video.”(SNIP)

Like the videos

of “Invisible” and “Toxic,” the new video was filmed on Lee’s tiny digital camera without the help of an experienced director and features volunteers as actors. Lee edits the videos himself on a bootlegged copy of a self-editing program.

STANFORDDAILY

Report to moderator    Logged 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 04:43:36 AM »   

"Idol" Polls to Stay Open Later

by Joal Ryan
May 19, 2004, 3:15 PM PT

It's an idea that Paula Abdul could give one good thumb-up to.

American Idol will keep its virtual polls open for four hours--twice as long as usual--following next week's decisive battle between the show's two remaining singers, Fox has announced. (SNIP)
 The May 25 installment will pit the final two in an hour-long, steel-cage match at Hollywood's Kodak Theater. Idol used its previous penultimate episodes to launch its winners' debut singles. (Last year's runner-up, Clay Aiken, got his first single from the show, as well.)

The May 26 extravaganza, also to be hosted from the Kodak, will stretch out its voting results for two hours.
American Idol: The E! True Hollywood Story

Last year, 30.4 million watched the Ruben Studdard-Clay Aiken sing off; 38.1 million tuned in one night later for Studdard's coronation.

E ONLINE

Clay "is" the "News"

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 04:48:51 AM »   

The next 'Idol': Fantasia or Diana
By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY

A tidal wave of Hawaiian support last week kept a tearful Jasmine Trias in the American Idol finals, but island passion wasn't enough to carry her further.

Wednesday, the 17-year-old from Mililani was eliminated. And the four-month American Idol competition boiled down to two: Fantasia Barrino, a soulful 19-year-old single mom from High Point, N.C., and Diana DeGarmo, a bubbly 16-year-old blonde from Snellville, Ga.

"I don't know whether to run, jump or scream," Barrino said after the show. "Little old me from High Point made it to the top two. I feel I accomplished something pretty big."

"It's kind of wild, kind of surreal," DeGarmo agreed. "I think it will hit me tonight when I go to bed."

The question Wednesday was whether raw vocal talent or pop cuteness would prevail. Barrino, whose singing made Paula Abdul cry and left Simon Cowell speechless, was a presumptive talent leader. But she and other top voices have wound up at the bottom of Idol's tally, sparking complaints about the voting system and conspiracy theories about tampering.

Barrino's inclusion in the final two is likely to quell questioning by fans and music experts about Idol's relevance as a means of spotlighting performers with long-term career potential.

The finalists, who will take the stage Tuesday at Hollywood's Kodak Theatre (Fox, 8 p.m. ET/PT), are the only survivors from a field of 70,000 who began auditioning for the third season of Idol, TV's top-rated series, last summer.

Although only one will be crowned American Idol next Wednesday, joining past winners Kelly Clarkson and Ruben Studdard, both are likely to put out records. Last year's runner-up, Clay Aiken, has become a star. The first season's fourth-place finisher, Tamyra Gray, who performed Wednesday, will release her album, The Dreamer, on Tuesday. She co-wrote the single next week's winner will perform, I Believe.

This season's No. 4, La Toya London, is considered one of the likeliest of the current bunch to put out a record.

Backstage, after the show, Idol executive producer Nigel Lythgoe, putting his hands together as if in prayer, looked skyward and said, "Well, there we have it."

"The results were what they should be," said Carla Hay, who covers Idol for Billboard magazine. "They're both excellent singers and have huge followings. It could be very much like what we felt last year, with Clay vs. Ruben."

USA TODAY

Clay "is" the "News"

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 05:00:34 AM »   

ANNOUNCING:  THE MOST HUGE, THE MOST FANTASTIC, THE MOST WONDERFUL PARTY OF THE DAY!!!!  EVERYONE, PLEASE, --YOU ARE CORDIALLY INVITED TO THE RETIREMENT PARTY OF THE MONTH!!!!!!!!![/i]

"THE WAY" RETIRES FROM TRL TODAY!!!

LET'S ALL CELEBRATE BY VOTING!! :roll: :roll: 
The phone number is 1-800-DIAL-MTV (1-800-342-5688). Vote online all day -- http://www.mtv.com/onair/trl/vote/

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 11:29:51 AM »   

Idol' star Clay Aiken to sing anthem at upcoming Dover race

Triple platinum-selling recording artist Clay Aiken will sing the national anthem at the inaugural running in Dover of the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series MBNA 400: A Salute to Heroes on Sunday, June 6.

Aiken also will take the time while in Dover to perform a benefit concert in the Dover Downs Rollins Center on Saturday night, June 5. The Bubel/Aiken Foundation and the Autism Society of Delaware are the beneficiaries of this very special evening with Aiken. Tickets are now on sale for this event and can be purchased by calling Dover Downs Slots VIP Services at 1-800-711-5882.

MBNA recently announced the name and theme of the upcoming NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race at Dover International Speedway. The MBNA 400: A Salute to Heroes will be held Sunday June 6 - the 60th anniversary of D-Day.

Pre-race activities will honor those Americans whose heroism in the liberation of Europe earned them the title, The Greatest Generation.

Pre-race activities on June 6 will include a fly-over of World War II-era military aircraft, including the world's only B-29 bomber still in flight. D-Day veterans will participate in pre-race ceremonies and Peter Thomas, the former voice of the History Channel and himself a veteran of Omaha Beach, will read General Dwight Eisenhower's Order of the Day of June 5, 1944. As Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force, Eisenhower issued this order on the eve of the D-Day invasion. The order includes the inspiring line, "We will accept nothing less than full victory."

Aiken, who first gained fame as the 2003 runner-up on the FOX Television program American Idol, will also treat the thousands on hand to a second song to help commemorate the 60th anniversary of D-Day.

Despite finishing second to Ruben Studdard on the show, Aiken developed into a bonafide star from week to week, gaining millions of fans across the country. His lasting popularity is a testament to his incredible ability.

"We are thrilled that Clay will perform for our crowd," said Gary M. Camp, director of public relations for Dover International Speedway. "But we are equally appreciative that he is so willing to honor our veterans at the race and help raise money for two great charities with this special benefit concert."

Aiken's debut album "Measure of a Man" entered the Billboard Top 200 at #1 in October selling 612,000 copies during its first week, nearly 200,000 albums more than Studdard sold in his first week and more than double the sales of 2002 American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson sold during the same period. Aiken's single "This is the Night/Bridge Over Troubled Water" won the 2003 Billboard Music Award for Best Single. He was named the Fan's Choice winner at the 2003 American Music Awards. Also in 2003, People Magazine named the Raleigh, North Carolina crooner one of its Top Entertainers of the Year and one of Sexiest Men of the Year. And in another testament to Aiken's immense popularity, he earned TV Guide's Fan's Favorite Reality Star of 2003.

The mission of The Bubel/Aiken Foundation is to provide services and financial assistance to facilitate fully the integration of children with disabilities into the life environment of those without. The Bubel/Aiken Foundation creates awareness about the diversity of individuals with disabilities and the possibilities inclusion can bring. Through collaborations with the disability, education, entertainment, and media communities, they recognize those whose commitment to breaking the stereotypes attendant to the developmentally disabled has broken barriers and extended the boundaries of the human experience for all.

The Autism Society of Delaware, a chapter of the Autism Society of America, is committed to improving the lives of people with autism and their families. Serving all of Delaware, they educate, advocate and raise public awareness in order to promote lifelong opportunities and acceptance for people with autism in their communities.

CAPE GAZETTE

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2004 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MAY 20

gfxgfx
gfx