gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229876 Posts in 2575 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay April 19, 2024, 02:09:14 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2004 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MAY 17 PAGE 2
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2004 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MAY 17 PAGE 2  (Read 2008 times)

fhmmany2

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
2004 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MAY 17 PAGE 2
« on: March 26, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MAY 17
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 05:11:44 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pearl before Swine: Clay Aiken and American Idol Judges
by Diane Sprague (2004/05/16)

Okay, this is war.  I just watched the clip from Good Day Live of Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson making fun of Clay’s American Idol performance.  Usually such juvenile behavior doesn’t warrant my attention, but seeing those two ugly pusses filling my screen with their disdain requires some kind of response.  I could write paragraphs of scathing insults but what is the use.  We all know they are idiots.  It was the major requirement in the job description for being an American Idol judge.  No, that won’t do.  Anyways, I have already given Simon’s grumpy face a number of tweaks during my dozens of viewing of Clay’s wonderful performance and interview.  Hopefully there is some voodoo power in this universe guaranteeing Simon a very sore nose today.  No, instead, I am going to write about what I saw as I watched Clay perform last Wednesday night because I think we all witnessed something that could easily be ignored because when pearls get tossed before swine, the swine get all the attention with their meaningless grunting and foul body odors.  I want to pull the attention back to the pearl.

The thing that struck me the most about Clay’s performance was the joy.  You could see it in his face, watch it in his body motions, and hear it in his voice.  It was fun.  I have never had so much fun watching a performer as I have with Clay.  He lightened up the stage the minute he entered.  He offered a gracious interview in which he focused on the positive things he could see in each of the remaining contestants and he pointed out the fact that one need not come in first to find success after the contest is over.  It was a positive expression of what the contest should be.   It was a reminder, and it was important because it could so easily be forgotten.

It can be forgotten because the contest can so easily turn itself into a freak show.  It can exist at the level of all the reality shows where we can witness our viciousness, our emptiness, and our phoniness and call that entertainment.  Certainly the act of cruelly making fun of a past contestant who graciously comes back to the show and shares his talent with us reduces the show to the level of smut.  Unfortunately freaks shows exist in abundance on every channel on the television, and I am absolutely convinced that if the producers and the judges have their way American Idol would be no different.

There is only one thing that redeems the show, and that one thing was clearly shown by Clay last night.  It’s the contestants.  It’s the joyful music they sing.  It’s their ambition, their confidence, and their talent.   I am continually amazed by their abilities to rise above the cheesiness and cruelty of the show and continue to hold their heads high.  LaToya’s classy exit from the show last Wednesday night is just one of many examples of how much dignity and grace the contestants have demonstrated during the competition.  I am amazed by the maturity, poise, and determination shown by the 16-year-old contestants.  I can think of a couple of fully grown adults who could learn a lot from them about handling themselves with class.

I know I should not let the nonsense spouted by idiot judges make me angry.  Anger seldom accomplishes anything useful.  It just that it truly hurts to see Clay treated that way after his fantastic performance.  I must admit I get some intense pleasure out of thinking about having the judges bend over so I can kick their marshmallow butts… but… I think, instead, I will just do what I am pretty sure a lot of other Clay fans will be doing.  I will just react by becoming doubly determined to support Clay.  I not only love his music, but I love what he represents: something real, something joyful, a lovely pearl in a world full of ugly swine.

BEAVERS ON IDOL

Report to moderator    Logged 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 05:18:42 AM »   

Belly Aiken?

I am writing in response to Robert Eisele's review of the Kelly Clark

son and Clay Aiken concert held April 15 at Kemper Arena. I was one of the 8,000 people who attended that concert. It was amazing to see the variety of fans that were there. There were young, school-aged children as well as senior citizens.

Without a doubt, Kelly and Clay have spectacular voices. This concert promoted their singing talents, not a light show or flashy costumes. It was refreshing to see these young people enjoying performing and giving back to their fans. The energy they exuded was transferred in abundance to the audience. It was wonderful to hear songs that were uplifting and not full of crude language.

I suppose these were things the reviewer missed or they simply went over his head. Maybe it's because Kelly and Clay were chosen by the people, not by the reviewers or the music industry. And isn't it about time the public lets the music industry know what they like?

— Regina Stock

KANSASCITYSTAR

Clay "is" the "News"

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 05:29:36 AM »   

I WATCHED THE E! TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY ON AMERICAN IDOL LAST NIGHT.  MY FAVORITE LINE FROM THE SHOW WAS BY JOE LEVY, EDITOR OF ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE.  AT THE END OF THE SHOW HE SAID, "CLAY AIKEN--AN HONEST-TO-GOD,  WHERE DID THAT GUY COME FROM---STAR!!!![/i]
HE STATED THAT AMERICAN IDOL HAS DONE A GOOD JOB OF "LAUNCHING THE CAREERS" OF KELLY AND RUBEN. HE THEN STATED "CLAY HAS SOLD A LOT OF RECORDS--2--3 MILLION!!! THAT'S WHEN HE STATED THE ABOVE!!!

Clay "is" the "News"

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 05:45:03 AM »   

ONLY 4 MORE DAYS FOR "THE WAY" ON TRL!!![/i]
LET'S KEEP CLAY'S VIDEO IN THE "NEWS"!!!  DO YOU THINK WE CAN
GET HIM TO NUMBER 1 BEFORE HIS RETIREMENT???  LET'S TRY!!!

VOTE FOR THE WAY ON TRL!
The phone number is 1-800-DIAL-MTV (1-800-342-5688). Follow the instructions. Key in 252 for "Clay Aiken" or 843 for "The Way" -- you may vote up to three times per phone line. Tip: It's much easier to get through during the first fifteen minutes.

To vote online, go to TRL VOTE . Vote online all day!

THERE IS A RUMOR CLAY WILL APPEAR ON THE SHOW THIS THURSDAY!!!

Clay "is" the "News"

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 06:56:06 AM »   

Janet takes 2 (songs) to Tango

By Bill Hetherman

Maybe it was the heat, or perhaps Janet Jackson had seats waiting for her at the Lakers game.

Whatever the reason, the pop diva's highly anticipated appearance at 102.7 KIIS-FM's Wango Tango On-Air 2004 concert at the Rose Bowl on Saturday featured one of the shortest set lists.

After just two songs, highlighted by the funky "All Nite (Don't Stop)' from the "Damito Jo' CD, she told the audience, "I love you, good night.'

Jackson's speedy departure was reminiscent of the hasty retreat of Britney Spears during the radio station's Jingle Ball concert in December, who didn't even bother to say Merry Christmas.

In all fairness to Jackson, William Hung was on the elevated center stage for only five minutes when he capped off the 12 hours of artist performances with, what else, "She Bangs.'

Jackson's tomboyish wardrobe, complete with a cap, white jacket and blue jeans, helped make sure there were no wardrobe malfunctions. 

But many of the concert's long list of bland performers would have been better off trimming their number of songs, or not coming at all. Further, some were plagued by pitch problems in their voices, but shamelessly used their time to pitch their new CDs and television appearances.

That meant the seventh Wango Tango was not a lucky one for those fans who braved the sweaty temperatures. Just two years ago the same event presented such talents as Mary J. Blige, No Doubt, Celine Dion, Ja Rule, Ashanti, Pink and Alanis Morissette.

That's been a tough lineup to match or beat. So, by having the likes of Jessica Simpson as a headliner and American Idol alumni Clay Aiken and Kimberley Locke further down on the bill Saturday, the goal of promoters to present the best Wango Tango never had a chance.

Singing her rendition of Berlin's "Take My Breath Away,' Simpson showed she is no Terri Nunn. Listening to her own hits, such as "Irresistible' and her personal current favorite, "Angels,' is worse than watching "Newlyweds.'

Even more bad news came when the Backstreet Boys made a special appearance to announce that the group's new CD is almost complete. The band gave an a cappella version of one new song, "Movin' On.'

Many of the fans apparently knew the concert promoters had lowered the bar, given the smattering of seats that remained empty.

To be sure, the crowd loved every moment of J.C. Chasez and Enrique Iglecias. Fans also saw a world premiere of a video of Chasez's "All Night Long I Dream About Sex' on the big screens, then got to hear him sing it again live.

Iglecias once again brought a starry-eyed female fan from the audience for "Hero.' She reached behind him and put her hands in a place that had the rest of the women present screaming with envy.

But for those who came to rock, Lenny Kravitz was the only one who delivered, with all due respect to Maroon 5 and Rooney.

Kravitz's cover of the Guess Who's "American Woman' is every bit as good as the original and seems strikingly contemporary. The audience joined him in singing several hits, including "Fly Away.'

Although many fans left the arena as Kravitz walked off the stage, those who stayed weren't sorry they got to hear OutKast's Big Boi deliver a solid set that featured "The Way You Move' and "The Whole World.'

Good Charlotte, normally seen on stage at KROQ-FM concerts, joined N.E.R.D for "Jump.' But the talented, free-wheeling trio didn't need any help with its rowdy gems "She Wants to Move' and "Backseat Love.'

Hilary Duff was satisfying with "Girl Can Rock,' but she ought to avoid such pablum as "So Yesterday' in the future or it could become an unintended description of her music.

Duff was joined by her talented, more attractive big sister, Haylie Duff, for a crowd-pleasing performance of the Go-Gos' "Our Lips Are Sealed.'

LA DAILY NEWS

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2004, 03:08:30 PM »   

Wango Wails
Few acts sizzle among 20 performances at the Rose Bowl

10:04 PM PDT on Sunday, May 16, 2004
By DAN MINKOFF / Special to The Press-EnterpriSe

KIIS-FM's seventh annual Wango Tango concert held Saturday at the Rose Bowl featured enough artists to give everybody a chance to see somebody they enjoyed.

Judging by crowd reaction, though, only three acts were hotter than the weather - N.E.R.D., Black Eyed Peas and Big Boi from the multiple Grammy-winning hip-hop group Outkast.

Considering the midday temperature reached the low 80s, that meant that Wango Tango 2004 had to be considered warm but not scorching

(snip)

American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken received a sizable reaction. A torrent of girls rushed toward the stage to get a picture of him.

Rooney was the only rock act besides Kravitz, but their appearance at 3 p.m. coincided with the hottest part of the day, so some of the fans' energy might have been a bit drained.

PRESS ENTERPRISE (registration required)

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2004, 03:52:50 PM »   

Concert Review: Wango Tango

Sun May 16,11:26 PM ET 
By Darryl Morden

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - This year's annual Wango Tango concert from Los Angeles Top 40 radio powerhouse KIIS-FM was filled with typically predictable dull pop acts, a few fine surprises and a criminal performance from Janet Jackson (news).

(snip)

The afternoon's surprise came with a spunky delivery from TV star Hilary Duff (news), introducing the large young teen contingent in the crowd to the Who's "My Generation" and bringing out older (and somewhat more tarty) sister Haylie for a bouncing version of the Go-Go's "Our Lips Are Sealed." Duff's kid-friendly pop rock actually comes off far more honest than, say, the punkish teen posing of an Avril Lavigne (news).

"American Idol" runner-up Clay Aiken came off way too impressed with his own stardom, while every song seemed to sound the same as he stretched words and demonstrated no comprehension of phrasing with his grating whine of a voice for the most cloying pop song fodder imaginable. The young girls love him, though, probably because he's so safe and nonthreatening, devoid of any sexuality whatsoever. Still, even worse was a wretched turn by 'N Sync (news - web sites)'s JC Chasez (news), his overtly sexual cavorting with female dancers sure to make parents with younger children distressed. Ugh.

(snip)

YAHOO LINK

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2004 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MAY 17 PAGE 2

gfxgfx
gfx