gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
154874 Posts in 1769 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: Thea February 24, 2017, 03:16:00 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Our Favorite Threads  |  HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW? CHAPTER 1
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW? CHAPTER 1  (Read 12968 times)

Prissy

• Claymaniac
Re: HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW? CHAPTER 1
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »
Title: Re: HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW?
Post by: Pepe on April 29, 2006, 03:57:42 PM
FRANKIE, I can't believe the work you and Lewis do in your yard.  It is mind boggeling to me.  I love your sitting area!  Those raised beds are beautiful and so neat and there is so much planted tell Lewis I think he could feed the whole Clay nation with his garden.  So many tomatoes!!!  :bouncy :bouncy  I love it.  I am just overwhelmed at the work you two do.  It looks like you have professional gardeners do your yard, it is just beautiful!!!

Post by: Prissy on May 01, 2006, 11:00:05 AM
Hello!

Debi,
I PM'd you, but I want to say again how much I enjoy seeing your tulips.  It makes me want to try tulips next year.  Especially since you told me that these tulips have come back for four years!!  Of course, I always like seeing your special "tulip," Aisalynn, too. :shappy

Frankie,
I was showing the photos of your garden areas to Skip.  He is thinking of starting a vegetable garden on one side of our yard next year.  Is that mulch you have between each planting bed?  Your tomato plants are really starting to get big.  I'm glad you are letting us watch your plants grow on this thread!!

:wave Pepe!

Hugs,
Prissy

Post by: fhmmany2 on May 01, 2006, 02:23:18 PM
Prissy - those are leaves from the yard in between the beds - the same leaves that are in the compost piles. We could buy mulch, but the leaves work just as well keeping grass from growing between the beds, and it is free - all it costs is the labor of raking them!  As you walk on the leaves, they compost, and improve the soil, too - the leaves last all summer, and keep the paths clear of grass. I think you and skip would enjoy this type of gardening very much - after the initial work of getting the garden installed, it is actually very little work. With square-foot gardening, the plants are planted so close together that grass and weeds have no place to grow. The beds will soon be completely filled with the vegetable plants - no room for anything else to grow.

EDIT - Prissy - since you are the knock-out rose expert!  :roflmao Do you "dead-head"  (cut the old blooms off) knock out roses just as you do any other bush rose?

Post by: dudley5 on May 01, 2006, 04:09:22 PM
FRANKIE I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUR GARDEN....IF I LIVED ON A HUGE LOT LIKE YOURS I WOULD GO CRAZY PLANTING...I HAVE MY YARD FULL AS IT IS.....

MY DAYLILLIES ARE REALLY BLOOMING

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/dudley5/my%20misc%20home%20pictures/IM000495.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/dudley5/my%20misc%20home%20pictures/IM000497.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/dudley5/my%20misc%20home%20pictures/IM000509.jpg)

THESE ARE SMALLER DALILLIES BUT I LOVE THE COLOR OF THEM...THIS IS THE FIRST BLOOM OF THIS YEAR

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/dudley5/my%20misc%20home%20pictures/IM000507.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/dudley5/my%20misc%20home%20pictures/IM000508.jpg)

GARDENIAS ARE BLOOMING AND SMELL SOOO GOOD
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/dudley5/my%20misc%20home%20pictures/IM000503.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/dudley5/my%20misc%20home%20pictures/IM000501.jpg)

THIS IS IN MY FRONT YARD....I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT IT IS BUT IT GETS COVERED WITH TINY LITTLE PURPLE FLOWERS AND IS THICK
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/dudley5/my%20misc%20home%20pictures/IM000506.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/dudley5/my%20misc%20home%20pictures/IM000505.jpg)

Post by: claydevotee on May 01, 2006, 04:16:03 PM
Dudley!

Your daylilies are absolutely spectacular!  Unfortunately ours won't be even begin to start blooming until early July.  They are absolutely my favorite perennial.  And the new varieties are just gorgeous!  Hope to plant quite a few in our newly landscaped berm way in the back of our yard.

The vine you showed in your last 2 pictures is a "vinca vine", I'm pretty sure.  It is a wonderful groundcover, and grows lusher and more beautiful with each passing year.

Frankie, what can I say but that your garden is a work of art?  :notworthy

I just love this thread!

Thea

Post by: fhmmany2 on May 01, 2006, 04:41:03 PM
dudley - I think our day lillies need some type of fertilizer - either that, or they have gotten too deep in the ground over the years and need to be re-set - they just do not bloom as well as they once did (they were all here when we bought the house, so I'm not a lilly expert). do you fertilize your day lillies? Our gardenias are budding now - I can't wait until they bloom - nothing smells better! Yours are beautiful!

Post by: claydevotee on May 01, 2006, 06:23:33 PM
I think our day lillies need some type of fertilizer - either that, or they have gotten too deep in the ground over the years and need to be re-set - they just do not bloom as well as they once did (they were all here when we bought the house, so I'm not a lilly expert). do you fertilize your day lillies?

HI FRANKIE  :wave:  I think I can help you!  :shappy Possibly your day lillies are no longer thriving because they are too crowded;  most likely they need to be divided at the end of the season.  Based on my experience, daylilies should be divided every 4 or 5 years to keep them blooming profusely. You can either plant the divisions elsewhere in your yard (sounds like you have a lot of garden space!) or you can give them away.  In my experience people are always thrilled to get free daylilies since they are so expensive!

Post by: fhmmany2 on May 02, 2006, 03:38:52 AM
Thanks, Thea - that is probably what is wrong - I have never divided them - friends have come at different times and have gotten some plants, but the day lilly beds stretch the length of the house in the back, and they are planted around several big trees in the front . I don't know where to start  in dividing them   :para - I'll have to think about that! We don't need any more day lilly beds - I'll have to find people to take them.

Post by: Prissy on May 02, 2006, 04:39:25 AM
Dudley,

Wow!  Your daylilies are spectacular!!  I'm wondering if the yellow ones are Stella de Oros.  They sure look like it.  If they continue to bloom after the others stop, I would think they are Stellas.  I'm taking a guess that the thick plant around the pot that has purple blooms might be Mexican Heather?  Not sure.  Oh my!  I can just imagine how fantastic the fragrance is from those gardenias!! I just love seeing everything growing in your yard.

Thea,
It's good to see you posting here!!  I hope you have time to go back a few pages and see all the wonderful photos here!  We would love to see what you have going on in your yard, too! :shappy

Hugs,
Prissy

Post by: dudley5 on May 02, 2006, 06:23:31 AM
Quote from: fhmmany2 on May 01, 2006, 04:41:03 PM
dudley - I think our day lillies need some type of fertilizer - either that, or they have gotten too deep in the ground over the years and need to be re-set - they just do not bloom as well as they once did (they were all here when we bought the house, so I'm not a lilly expert). do you fertilize your day lillies? Our gardenias are budding now - I can't wait until they bloom - nothing smells better! Yours are beautiful!

NO FRANKIE I DON'T FERTILIZE THEM....I DON'T DO ANYTHING TO THEM EXCEPT LOOK AT EM  :lol THE ONLY THING I FERTILIZE ARE MY VEGGIES ......EVERYTHING ELSE IS ON ITS OWN ......IT EITHER MAKES IT OR IT DOESN'T  :lol

Post by: claydevotee on May 02, 2006, 09:43:01 AM
Thea,
It's good to see you posting here!!  I hope you have time to go back a few pages and see all the wonderful photos here!  We would love to see what you have going on in your yard, too!

Thanks for the welcome, Prissy!   :hugg I love lurking over here.  I am amazed at how many of you have such green thumbs along with such talent in landscape design! 

As far as posting what is going on in our yard, well we have a few tulips here and there (Debi's are gorgeous, BTW), but nothing much else yet.  I hope to start getting annuals in my planters over the next couple of weeks, plus start filling up the berm with all sorts of new perennials!!!!  My friends haven't nicknamed me "peasant woman" for nothing!  Give me some dirt and a trowel and I'm happy as a clam!!!  :lol

Post by: Pepe on May 02, 2006, 03:23:51 PM
FRANKIE, when I had the two Knockout Roses in Tennessee I was told by the nursery you didn't have to deadhead them but I did thinking I would get more roses.  But they bloom constantly anyway so I don't know if the deadheading helped or not.  Prissy or Dudley could tell you what they do.

YDEBI, I love the mass tulip planting.  How many tulips are there?  They are so pretty in a mass like that instead of planted in a row.  They are just beautiful.

PRISSY, how wonderful you got to plant some flowers today.  Lucky you!!!  :bouncy  I am not sure what I am doing.  There is tons of ivy and ferns here around the house and sedum.  I am thinking if you have a flowering plant it won't last long with the deer.  They are eating my iris to the ground.  So far I think they have eated about 30 iris plants.  I can picture me planting all these flowers and the next morning all that is left is the ivy and the ferns.  So I really don't expect to have a very colorful yard.

Post by: Pepe on May 02, 2006, 03:37:16 PM
MAMADEV,  :wave so great to see you.  I remember the picture you posted of your back yard last year it was very, very pretty.

FRANKIE, when I had lillies before I would dig in bone meal in the soil around the day lillies.

DUDLEY, I love the red lilly!!! The yellow lillies are thick and beautiful and so healthy looking.  If you don't fertilize you must have very rich soil.  I am still waiting for the rest of the pictures to load.  I got a red x so had to tab on show picture.  Gardenia's are my all time favorite flower.

Post by: Pepe on May 02, 2006, 03:41:53 PM
DUDLEY, oh my I just got to see the Gardenia plant.  How fabulous is that!!!  Do you have little white bugs on yours?  What do you fertilize it with?  Acid food?  Do you mist it for humidity?

Post by: ydebi on May 02, 2006, 07:43:35 PM
Dudley....your day lillies are beautiful....i can't wait until they are in bloom here!!!!! and the gardinias...they do not grown in michigan...and i know they do smell wonderfullll...thanks for sharing all your photos.......

Thea...great to see you here...it's a blooming place...and pretty positive...what could make you happier then seeing all this beauty!!!!!!

Pepe...I have to tell you something about the tulips...first I have to tell you that my husband frowns everytime I cut flowers and bring them in the house...I guess he thinks they should be outside...but heck i love them inside...anyways...he was joking with me about a week ago and said he wanted me to count all of them...I sad heck no but go ahead and count if you want to...he just laughed....but about an hour later I went out and cut a dozen of the tulips and brought them in the house and said.." here is one dozen"after that I pick a dozen and sometimes two each day and when I brought them in to put in the vase I said to him....2 dozen, 3 dozen, 4.............10 dozen...yep I picked and shared 10 dozen...and there is probably at least another 8 dozen out there however they are coming to an end...one warm day or a heavey rain and poof they are gone...I have to say...i have truely enjoyed "counting" my tulips this year....Ha.Ha...

Prissy...I will probably be thinning my tulips this fall would you like me to send you some of my bulbs...i would love it to know you had something from my garden in yours....but my "special" tulip...well I won't send her....LOL....

Post by: Prissy on May 02, 2006, 08:49:24 PM
Debi,

I would love for you to send me a few tulip bulbs, but I understand that the "Aisalynn" tulip will not be one of them!! :lol I would like to give them a try.  Let me know if I should keep them in a refrigerator until I plant them and when to plant.

Again, it is great to see so many joining in on the Garden Thread.

Hugs,
Prissy

Post by: dudley5 on May 03, 2006, 08:18:20 AM
Quote from: Pepe on May 02, 2006, 03:41:53 PM
DUDLEY, oh my I just got to see the Gardenia plant.  How fabulous is that!!!  Do you have little white bugs on yours?  What do you fertilize it with?  Acid food?  Do you mist it for humidity?

PEPE I DON'T DO ANYTHING.....I ONLY BABY MY VEGGIES.....EVERYTHING ELSE JUST GETS AN OCCASIONAL DRINK IN THE REALLY HOT DRY PART OF SUMMER....BUT OTHER THAN THAT I DON'T SPEND ANY TIME EXCEPT PULLING WEEDS.....THE GARDENIAS DON'T HAVE BUGS ON THEM....DON'T THINK I HAVE EVER SEEN ANY BUGS ON THEM....I HAVE ANOTHER ONE PLANTED BY MY FRONT DOOR BUT IT ISN'T IN THE FULL SUN SO IT ISN'T BLOOMING YET BUT IT HAS REALLY GREEN GLOSSY LEAVES.....AND AS FAR AS HUMIDITY....LIVING AS CLOSE TO THE OCEAN AS WE ARE WE HAVE PLENTY OF HUMIDITY....I DON'T NEED TO ADD TO IT  :lol

Post by: Mary on May 03, 2006, 01:30:13 PM
I love all the pictures.  For the last 5 or 6 weeks we have had daffodils and tulips. We might have one more cutting to bring inside. The Oriental Lilly's are starting to grow. I just found out that if you want a second blooming in the fall you can't cut them in the spring.

Our one azalea in the back yard is in full bloom but the ones in the front yard are late bloomers.

Norm just planted all of our Calla Lilly's this past weekend. This weekend he hopes to get in the peppers and tomatoes.

We had great peonies in our old yard. I planted a few here and one is really growing. It will be a few weeks before we have any blooms.
To whom much has been given, much is required.  
God presents the opportunity;  we choose our response:  "Yes" or "No."
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.   
Be selective in your battles;  sometimes peace is better than being right.

Prissy

• Claymaniac
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 10:22:21 PM »
Post by: Pepe on May 03, 2006, 03:50:10 PM
MARY,  :wave so nice to have you join us.

DUDLEY, I tried to grow Gardenias in Tennessee and I use to have these little white aphids all over them.  You are so lucky to have the Gardenias.  I didn't even know they would take hot afternoon sun.  I had two huge rabbits going thru my yard this morning looking everything over to see what hasn't been eaten to the ground yet.   :bang Between the rabbits and the deer I might not have any blooming flowers.  They aren't eating the ivy ground cover or the ferns coming up at least not yet.

Post by: Prissy on May 05, 2006, 06:58:08 AM
Mary,

So good to see you here.  Your yard sounds lovely.  If you can, we'd love to see pictures.  Doesn't your husband also plant a surprise garden, too, each year?

:wave Pepe, Dudley, Debi, Frankie, Thea and others joining in.

Hugs,
Prissy

Post by: ydebi on May 05, 2006, 07:44:34 AM
Hello everyone!!!!!

Mary...I love calla lilies...i think they are beautiful....I do have some however...I'm not sure they will return this year...i know , well here in michigan, we need to dig them out in the fall and replant them in the spring..well I had a few near my house and they must have had enough warmth from the house and they have come up for the past 3 or four years...I don't see anything yet though!!!! but I will not give up...it's a bit early for them...

Prissy...hello my garden friend....I sure hope Michael can to something to "save our site" it would be aweful to loose it or any of the threads...I'm gonna keep praying that we loose nothing!!!!!!!!oh the lilaics are blooming here now...I LOVE lilaics and they smell soooooo good...I'll try to get a picture later of them...I have white ones...but I do love the purple ones.....

Pepe...those pesky rabbits....but they are soooo cute aren't they!!!!  I hope they leave your flowers alone......maybe you could show us a picture of the rabbits!!!!!

WEll everyone...May your gardens Grow...your flowers bloom and the sunshine down on you today!!!!!!!!!! Love ya all....debi

Post by: Prissy on May 06, 2006, 07:41:37 AM
Hello!

Erin, the daughter of our dear Julie who passed away a year ago, on April 29,  just posted this in the OCD thread and I thought you all woud appreciate it here, too.

Erin:

Ok, I just posted that I let the dog out and noticed something pretty cool.  Let me be the first to say that I totally believe in "signs from heaven."  And I get them constantly.  I can't remember if I told anyone about the pink rose, but after my dad died, my mom found a pink rose on the steps, and it was on their wedding anniversary, so she believe he sent it to her to let her know she was ok.  So that rose was always our symbol.  Right after my mom died, I found that same pink rose when I was cleaning, so I found comfort in it that she was letting me know she was ok.  So since then, whenever I come across a pink rose or pretty pink flower, I always think it's my mom just saying hello. 

Since I found out I was pregnant on the 1 year anniversary of her passing, that was pretty strong for me as well.

Soooo...I just let the dog out, and here's our backyard....

(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/ErinShaffer/tests011.jpg)

There is usually an entire row of flowers there, we just haven't gotten to them yet this spring, it's so pretty there when we put flowers there.

But look closer, this is only one flower in bloom:
(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/ErinShaffer/tests012.jpg)

Pretty neat, huh?

Post by: Pepe on May 06, 2006, 03:18:07 PM
PRISSY, thank you so much for bringing Erin's post over to the Garden Thread.  Her post gave me chill bumps, yep I know Julie is watching over Erin.

Post by: fhmmany2 on May 06, 2006, 03:35:52 PM
Erin - in case you missed my post to you in the OCD - I know that God is allowing your Mom to share this special time in your life - she will never be gone from you! What better way for her to say hello and that she is thrilled about the baby than to send you a rose - only a week from Mothers' Day!

Pepe - I can't believe the cold weather you are still having - hey, it's May!!! I hope you get to plant your garden soon.

I just took a walk around the yard (Lewis is out there working, but I'm not in the mood!  :lol ) It's amazing how much a garden can grow in only one week:

Update on the compost tomatoes:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_gcomptom.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/gcomptom.jpg)

A bed of zuchinni with a bed of bush green beans beyond that:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_gzuchinni.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/gzuchinni.jpg)

The orange plastic tomatoes - Lewis has tomato baskets around them now - they have doubled in size since last week:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_gorangetom.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/gorangetom.jpg)

The roses have enjoyed our every-day showers this week:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_groses.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/groses.jpg)

Look, Pepe - our gardenias are just starting to bloom - I went out a took a deep breath just for you - they smell so wonderful!

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_ggardenias.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/ggardenias.jpg)

I never did post a picture of the ferns after I got them re-potted - here they are:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_gferns.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/gferns.jpg)

These are an ornamental strawberry that blooms a pink bloom - I paid $5.99 for one at a plant store a couple of years ago  :shocking Now I pull them up and throw them away when they run out side of their bed in the garden!  :lol They do make a tiny strawberry, but not much good for eating - they just bloom their pretty pink blooms all summer:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_gpinkstraw.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/gpinkstraw.jpg)

And we are still picking regular strawberries every day now - white blooms!:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_gregstrw.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/gregstrw.jpg)

Look - I am the only person in the world who cannot grow a knock-out rose!  :cry It was blooming when I bought it, and it has never had a bloom since those first ones faded!

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_gkorose.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/gkorose.jpg)

Post by: Pepe on May 06, 2006, 05:22:18 PM
FRANKIE, what beautiful tomato plants, I can't believe how much they have grown.  How lucky you are to have the Gardenia bush!  I love to float the blossoms in a glass bowl or a brandy snifer.  Sometimes when I see them I will buy a plant knowing it won't live but at least I enjoy the blossoms on it and that is worth the money I pay for the plant.  Glad to hear you planted bush beans, they are my favorite!  How wonderful to be able to go out and pick strawberries everyday.  Hey I have some Rhubarb, bring your strawberries over and I will make us a strawberry/rhubarb pie!!!!  I have no idea what is wrong with your Knockout rose!  I bought two yesterday and they might not live here in Michigan with the cold weather and with the deer and the rabbits that are as big as a dog, they might eat them to the ground as both animals loves rose bushes.  I would give it a dose of fertilzer and water it heavy for a while.  When did you plant it?

Post by: fhmmany2 on May 06, 2006, 05:47:59 PM
I think we bought the rose a couple of weeks ago - I posted a picture of it then. It is dark green and healthy - just no blooms - I guess I'm too impatient! Have you looked into those sprays to keep animals off of your plants? It really sounds like you will need something - or you will have to invest in hundreds of dollars of deer feed to keep them away from your garden. As I told you, we have a friend who plants a couple of acres of peas every year for the deer so they will stay out of his garden (the deers' garden is between the woods and the garden at his house!)

Post by: Prissy on May 06, 2006, 06:05:12 PM
Hello!

Frankie,
I always enjoy seeing everything blooming and growing in your yard!  Wow! The tomato plants are going to be taller than the compost piles soon.  Love your gardenias, too.

Pepe and Frankie,
I feel badly about the Knockout rose bushes not blooming!! :cry My new ones seem to be struggling, but my older bushes seem to be thriving! :bduh  I am tempted to return the Knockouts  I planted in the front yard for healthier knockouts, but Skip says don't give up on them yet.  He says they may still surprise me.   Maybe the first year is not their best???  I can't remember how our big bushes did the first year. I hope yours will do better for you.

Erin,
Thanks for letting me post your remarks and pictures about the lone pink flower.  I hope you will visit the Garden Thread.

Hugs,
Prissy

PS:  I'm so glad that the Garden Thread and other threads have been saved, and that Michael has found a way to keep our site in tact!! :shappy

Post by: JoAnn Moody on May 07, 2006, 06:43:22 PM
Pepe,

Try taking hair strands from your hairbrush and place them on the plants that the deer like to eat.  My cousins used to have deer problems and this worked!  She just laid the hair twisted around the stems and leaves.
     She used to leave in the bay area of San Francisco.  Their house was on a golf course and their was a small wood trail and stream running behind the backyard.  Wild boar and deer would come to their fence and "snack." 
     She tried it and just replaced when needed.  Also, the birds loved to take strands for their nests!
JoAnn M.

Post by: fhmmany2 on May 07, 2006, 09:05:02 PM
JoAnn! I had forgotten all about the hair trick! My Dad had a barber shop for 44 years, and people came by all of the time to ask for the hair that he swept up! Maybe this will help Pepe with her garden!  :clap

Post by: Prissy on May 08, 2006, 01:18:49 PM
Hello!

Not a lot is happening new in my yard right now, but I thought I would post a few pictures anyway!! :lol

Here are the two knockout rose bushes that are older and have done so well.  Skip is 6'2" so you can see how tall these bushes are.

Click on photo to make larger.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_KOSkip026.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/KOSkip026.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_KOShad027.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/KOShad027.jpg)

Let's hope that all of our "new" KO rose bushes will do this well and soon!! :eek

Speaking of roses, JoAnn and Jennie gave Skip a yellow rose bush for an early birthday present.  Skip has been saying he wanted a yellow rose bush for a while.  In fact, we were having dinner at their house, and Skip said it again, that he wanted a yellow rose bush,  and , surprise, JoAnn and Jennie presented him with one!! :lol

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_YellowRB049.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/YellowRB049.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_YelRB035.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/YelRB035.jpg)

One of my sisters has this beautiful rose bush with pinky/peach flowers.  I took these photos recently.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_MillaRB028.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/MillaRB028.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_MillaRCU029.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/MillaRCU029.jpg)

Post by: Prissy on May 08, 2006, 01:23:09 PM
Here is a picture of a "mystery" plant in our yard.  It doesn't bloom for very long and has these droopy flowers on it.  Maybe someone here can identify it.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_DroopFlr037.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/DroopFlr037.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_DrropCU051.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/DrropCU051.jpg)

Post by: Prissy on May 08, 2006, 01:30:59 PM
Cannas growing but no blooms yet.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_Cannas046.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/Cannas046.jpg)

Turk's Cap growing but no blooms yet.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_TurksCpWillie044.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/TurksCpWillie044.jpg)

Oleanders (hopefully) growing but no blooms yet. :cry (Skip cut back a lot of dead leaves off these plants.  I hope they will live.  I don't know if we will get any blooms this year.)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_Oleander042.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/Oleander042.jpg)

Post by: Prissy on May 08, 2006, 01:41:40 PM
Jennie and JoAnn  came over to our house yesterday, Sunday.  We played Yahtzee in the Gazebo and later had root beer floats and cookies!! :lol

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_JoJen056.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/JoJen056.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_JoJenPris057.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/JoJenPris057.jpg)

Hugs to all,
Prissy

Prissy

• Claymaniac
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 10:24:49 PM »
Post by: Pepe on May 08, 2006, 04:18:56 PM
JOANN, than you so much for trying to help in solving my deer problem.  If I put hair all over my plants I would be bald.  I have tons planted plus I bought quite a few to plant.  There are tons of different types of Hostas in the yard and they are eating them to the ground, just to much to individually wrap with hair.  I am hoping to find this Liquid Fence and hope it works, you just spray it on the plants.

PRISSY, your Knock Out Rose bushes are fantastic.  I bought two of them but haven't planted them yet, waiting for it to warm up some.  The Mystery plant is so very pretty and I have not seen anything like it before.  The roses at your sisters is so very pretty.  What a treat to see all these wonderful pictures of flowers and vegetable gardens.  So glad got his yellow rose!!!!  :bouncy

Post by: ydebi on May 11, 2006, 10:04:18 AM
Frankie, I love watching your garden grow...those compost tomatoes have really grow since the last time you posted pictures...

Prissy.. beautiful roses...... do the oleanders bloom year round by you??? here we have to take them in in the winter into a cool spot...keep them watered and then place them outside in the spring...we had two of them get to big for us to bring them in last winter so we lose those...but hopefully I can get a cutting and start another one or two... I don't think I ever responded to you about the tulips...here in michigan we plant them in the fall they bloom the next spring and then go dormant until the following spring..mine are about 4 yrs old...I will have to do some investigating to see what you need to do for them by you...I will be thinning them out in about a wk..so watch for some bulbs!!!!!

Pepe...how are you??? anything blooming by you...I noticed just the other day that some of my irises have bloomed...but I lost many of then over the last year  :bang I think that Irises are my favorite flower...when it stops raining I'll try to post a picture of the ones that have bloomed!!!!!

Prissy by the way...nice gazebo and how wonderful that you got to share your day with friends.......

Post by: Pepe on May 11, 2006, 11:07:55 AM
YDEBI, We have waited so long for rain now I am wondering if it will ever stop.  I have daffs, forsythia, my two small apple trees and a cherry tree in bloom.  Plus the ferns are all coming up and a lot of iris leaves but no buds on them yet.  One row of the Iris's the deer or rabbits ate them to the ground.  Hopefully the leaves will be fully out after this rain.  So many different kinds of birds here and wildlife I really am enjoying living here. 

Post by: fhmmany2 on May 15, 2006, 01:38:13 PM
I was beginning to think I would never get here again!!! :lol It is great to be back "Home". Here are some shots I took yesterday: Click to Make Big

Our day lillies are just now beginning to bloom - here are four: (the two yellow ones are similar in color, but the blooms are different sizes).

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_daylily3.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/daylily3.jpg)

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_daylily1.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/daylily1.jpg)

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_daylilly4.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/daylilly4.jpg)

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_daylilly2.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/daylilly2.jpg)

Post by: fhmmany2 on May 15, 2006, 01:45:18 PM
My Chief Strawberry Picker (Wild Baby) was here yesterday!

Here PaPaw is helping her locate - everytime she finds a ripe berry, she says "Whoo Hoo!!!!): Click To make Big:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_strawberry5.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/strawberry5.jpg)

Every berry really gets inspected - if it has the slightest spot on it - she sends it to the compost pile.

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_strawberry1.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/strawberry1.jpg)

This one was good enough to keep - that is her Mom Robin in the background, and one of the dogs (Scooter) (The feet and legs belong to PaPaw and Daddy)

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_strawberry2.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/strawberry2.jpg)

Post by: Prissy on May 16, 2006, 08:06:32 AM
I agree that it's so good to be back at our regular site and at our favorite threads!! :shappy

Frankie,
Your daylilies are beautiful.  I'm wondering if one of the yellow ones might be a Stella de Oro?
Wild Baby is so cute pickiing strawberries with"PaPaw."  I think Lewis has a future helper in your gardens!! :lol

Debi,
The oleanders are planted in the ground and usually winter okay.  This year ours seem to be in stress because of the long drought that we had.  Skip trimmed them back and got off a lot of dead leaves, and they actually look like they are getting new growth.  :shappy But I don't know if we will have any blooms this year.

Pepe,
I know you are anxious to start planting, but you've had a lot of rain.  Too bad we can't spread this rain out more and have it when we need it and not so much all at once!

I continue to be encouraed by the new growth on my new KO rose bushes.  And I see buds appearing, too.  Just as soon as there are flowers blooming on them, I will take some pictures.

The snap dragons I planted also seem to be thriviing; not very big but with blooms.  I am tryinig to water every 3rd day when it doesn't rain;  especially everything new that I have planted and the plants that were in stress.

I do hope the Texas summer has rain and not the usual drought.  Skip and I are going to be in Colorado the first week in July and I really hate to leave during such a hot part of summer.  :para  I'm thinking of having my niece house sit for us and take care of the dogs and the pool and water for us.  It almost becomes impossible for both Skip and I to be gone at the same time.  Too many things to take care of. :eek

Hugs,
Prissy

Post by: Mary on May 16, 2006, 09:54:53 AM
I am enjoying all the stories and pictures.

Here in NJ now we are growing championship

WEEDS!

The alliumn bloomed and the peonies are coming in. It is still to cold to plant the tomatoes, etc. Norm did plant the calla lillies this past weekend and they are already popping up.

We are not allowed to put veggie scraps in our compost pile because it is considered a rodent harborage! Norm composts our leaves every fall and the town also puts great compost at the two pools for a few weeks in the spring for anyone to pick up. He needs a pickup truck and a helper! When our sons first got their driver's license he would send them on the compost run and they got to use his car at night.

We bought wave petunias this weekend to plant in the front flower planters and because of the cold and all the rain they are looking like sad sacks.

Our neighbor has had grubs in his front lawn and sure enough they migrated to our lawn last year. Norm is planting grass and spreading Grub-X and weed and feed all over. With all the rain I don't have to water the newly planted grass when he is away.

Frankie, I can't believe all the work you do in the gardens. Wild Baby reminds me of my son who loved peaches that we grew. He would ask me to get him one and later he would ask Norm. One night we sat down for dinner and I told Norm that Brian ate three peaches. Norm said "well I picked four for him" and I said that I picked three for him! All I can say is that Brian spent half the night in the bathroom.

It seems like this year is going to be a year to maintain our property and transplant plants that are overgrown.

Our lillys are just beginning to grow and it will be quite some time before they bloom.

Post by: fhmmany2 on May 16, 2006, 03:36:03 PM
Prissy - I wish I did know the name of our day lillies - I should look them up in a book or on the internet. We have never bought any - some were here when we bought the house - others were shared by friends.

Mary - It's fun to share gardening with the grandchildren. Lewis always plants either watermelons, cantelopes, or pumpkins for the grandchildren. These all grow so fast, and the kids get excited watching them. Pumpkins are hard to grow here, though - it is too hot and humid - very often, pumpkins rot way before we have cool weather. We have fruit trees, too, but hardly ever get fruit off of them - our winters are not usually cold enough to set fruit.

Here are a few garden pictures I took - after this, it will be somebody else's turn to post some pictures!!! As always, click on pictures to enlarge:

Here is the easiest way we have found to pick pole beans - Lewis makes a green bean "teepee" out of a pole, an old bike wheel, and some cane (which grows around our pond). If you don't have cane, you can use string or wire.

Here are the beans before the cane is added:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_polebeans1.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/polebeans1.jpg)

And after - the beans will start climbing the poles this week:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_polebeans3.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/polebeans3.jpg)

At my request, Lewis planted the okra in a narrow bed, with the plants single-file. In the past, he has planted several rows side by side, which made the okra hard to cut:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_okra1.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/okra1.jpg)

We picked the first yellow squash and zuchinni today:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_closesquash.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/closesquash.jpg)

And we will be picking green beans by the end of the week:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_closebeans.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/closebeans.jpg)

It will be a while before the tomatoes are ripe:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_closetom.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/closetom.jpg)

This week's picture of the compost tomatoes - you can't see the top of the wire very well in this picture, but this year's compost has already dropped about a foot:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_composttom1.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/composttom1.jpg)

Post by: Pepe on May 16, 2006, 07:02:19 PM
FRANKIE, the garden pictures are fabulous.  I cannot believe the picture perfect gardens that Lewis creates.  A magazine should come out and shoot pictures of your gardens they are unbelievable.  I don't understand how you and Lewis do it plus running a business plus being such great grandparents.  What energy you both have, did I say I admire both of you. 

Post by: ydebi on May 19, 2006, 07:39:17 AM
Dang...it's been raining here so much that I can't even get out to take a few pictures of anything that is blooming(http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/7.gif)  I really need some sunshine!!!!!!!

Post by: Pepe on May 19, 2006, 11:52:43 AM
DEBBIE, did you get the severe hail storm we had a couple of days ago.  It was horrible here, never saw hail come down that thick and the horrible wind blowing it.  Destroyed all my plants there is no leaves left on my begonias, geraniums or roses.  :bang  Cold and rainy here again today.

Post by: ydebi on May 19, 2006, 12:14:17 PM
Shirley...nope we didn't get the hail...just the rain and high winds...that is so sad that you plants were ruined.... heres a hug for you :hugg. I need some sunshine........how about you?

Post by: fhmmany2 on May 19, 2006, 01:46:24 PM
Just a couple of more pictures - It is sunny and around 95 degrees today (may be a little hotter), and the same is forecast for the next week - no rain in sight. I've been out mowing grass, and it is Hot!!!

I love lantana - it can withstand our high heat and humidity all summer long - it will bloom until our first frost (sometime in December!) Here are a couple of pictures:

We have 2 whiskey barrels of yellow and cream-colored lantana at the end of our driveway:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_lantana6.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/lantana6.jpg)

A close-up - the yellow is overtaking the cream blooms big-time!

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_lantana5.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/lantana5.jpg)

This is another color, in another pot - red and gold mixed. We also have white, purple, and pink and yellow mixed. When i come across a new color of lantana, I try to buy it - it dies down when the frost hits it, but comes back every year:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_lantana1.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/lantana1.jpg)

I won't be posting for a while - going to Memphis to check on family members - but I will be looking for all of your posts when I get back!

Post by: Prissy on May 19, 2006, 02:43:20 PM
Hello!

Mary,
It's always good to see you here posting on the Garden Thread, and it's so interesting to hear about what all you are planting and growing. 

Pepe,
I am so sorry to hear about all of your plants being destroyed by the hail.  But, maybe some of them will come back.  I wouldn't give up on them yet.  My new KO rose bushes were looking really bad, but I have watered them faithfully, and they even have new growth.

Frankie,
Lewis and you are master gardeners.  I love to see the different ways Lewis plants his vegetables.  Your pictures should be in a magazine.  I'm especially enjoying watching those tomato plants grow.  I remember when they were small around the compost and now look how big they are!!

And I love lantana.  I have a lantana plant that's huge on the right side of the waterfall by the pond.  The blossoms are pink and yellow and look pink from a distance.  It is blooming now and seems to like the hot weather.

I like the look of the yellow lantana and I'm thinking where I might plant some in the yard.

Enjoy your trip.  I wondered what you did with all your plants when you travel.  What about the vegetable gardens?  Will the neighbor water them or does Lewis have an irrigation system of some kind? 

We are traveling the end of June, first part of July, and I am mulling what to do about the yard and plants and the dogs????  House sitter, neighbors water and leave the dogs at the vet or a Sheltie rescue person, one of us go and one of us stay home!!! :bduh We usually travel in the fall when the yard is not such a concern, or I travel to Clay concerts and Skip stays home to take care of everything.  It is a dilemma.

I also posted this in the OCD:  Skip has rented a kiboda which looks like a huge bulldozer.  He is presently digging where the ponds are and making two ponds into one.
It's 97 degrees outside, but the kiboda has a cover over the driver's seat so he is in the shade.

We also have a huge pile of top soil that has been dumped into our driveway.  The truck was too big to back into the back part of the driveway. I am not too happy about where this pile is and our vehicles are parked on the street.  :para I am going to try to be patient  :bang and hope that the topsoil is moved to the backyard fairly soon.

Hi, Debi,
Glad the hail did not get your plants!!

Hugs,
Prissy

Prissy

• Claymaniac
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 10:26:28 PM »
Post by: fhmmany2 on May 19, 2006, 03:12:38 PM
 :wave Prissy - I am in the process of moving everything I can to the small greenhouse (it is shady). Our neighbor is insisting that he is going to water everything (and he is on crutches!!!!), so I'm making it as easy for him as I can by moving everything together. We have water hoses all over our yard - all through the garden - so really all he has to do is cut faucets off and on, as far as the garden goes. But, as you know, Lewis' Mom is really sick, so if all of the plants die, so be it - they can always be re-planted. We have to take care of our Moms (who are both 86 years old). I can't wait to see pictures of your pond!!!  :bouncy

Post by: fhmmany2 on May 19, 2006, 04:25:49 PM
Prissy - you have shown us so many beautiful pictures of public gardens in Texas, and so many beautiful wedding sites. As I told You, daughter Amy was married in a public garden here (Hodges Gardens). Here is a picture from her wedding. She was married on beautiful stone steps. We had several beautiful waterfall areas that we could have chosen for her wedding, but the staff at the Gardens advised us that brides and groom who get married near a waterfall have to shout their vows!!!  :lol

by the way - Amy was married in October - this may look like a beautiful fall scene, but it was 101 degrees the day she married!!!  :shocking

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/th_wedview.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/wedview.jpg)

Amy (who many of you have met in Houston and Atlanta at Clay concerts), SIL Greg, and a closer look at the Mums!

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/th_wedamy.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/wedamy.jpg)

Post by: Pepe on May 19, 2006, 04:37:50 PM
MARY, make sure you post more often.  If you don't have pictures that is fine just talk to us and we are happy!!!  :bouncy

FRANKIE, I had the orange and yellow Lantana when I lived in Tennessee.  I loved it as it grew so fast and so large and the hummingbirds and butterflies loved it.  Pictures of your daughters wedding are beautiful. 

PRISSY, yep when you travel in the summer it is hard as there is so much to take care of.  To bad I didn't live a lot closer I would house sit for you and water your flowers and baby Shadow and Sandy, I would spoil them rotten!!!!

Post by: Prissy on May 19, 2006, 06:54:28 PM
Frankie,

Beautiful pictures of your daughter's wedding!!  What a gorgeous place and what a lovely bride she made!!

That's true about the fountains and waterfalls.  They make so much noise, you can't hear the music, minister, or the bridal couple !!

Your MIL and Lewis and your family will be in my prayers as you go to Memphis.  Frankie, I am going to PM you my home number.  Feel free to call anytime.  I think you have my cell number, but the cell phone I leave in my car.

Pepe,
I've got a plan!! :wink You and I will head for Frankie's and take care of all of her plants  and Scooter and Peanut, and water for her while she's gone.   No plant will die on our watch!! :lol Mr. Pepe and Mr. Prissy will have to take care of our dogs and plants!!
Then when Skip and I are traveling, you can come to my place and play with Shadow and Sandy and water for me, too. :wink :lol

Like, Frankie, we have hydrants throughout our yard, thanks to the couple who lived here before us.  I have hoses on most of these hydrants.  If I set up sprinklers on all of them, all someone would have to do is turn on the sprinklers!!  I could put all of my pots in one area and the sprinkler would get them, too.  Well, some of the concrete pots aren't going anywhere!!

The problem with the summer months is we get so little rain and it is so hot.  Watering is an almost everyday thing.

I am really leaning toward leaving the dogs with a "Sheltie Rescue" person and having the neighbors take care of the pool and yard.  One of my neighbors has had a key to my house for a long time, and she is good about taking care of things.  It's just a lot more involved in the summer!

Hugs to all,
Prissy

Post by: Prissy on May 22, 2006, 03:15:18 AM
Hello!

Skip rented a kuboda, a bulldozer and has been digging out the area where there were two ponds into one big pond area.    Here are a few pictures from this weekend.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/th_KubSki1087.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/KubSki1087.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/th_Kub1098.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/Kub1098.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/th_Kuboda1099.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/Kuboda1099.jpg)

HOISTING THE BRIDGE IN PLACE
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/th_Bridge1085.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/Bridge1085.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/th_SkiBrid1083.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/SkiBrid1083.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/th_Bridge1084.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/Bridge1084.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/th_Bridge1096.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/Bridge1096.jpg)

TOPSOIL AND WATERFALL STONES DUMPED IN THE DRIVEWAY
(Hopefully transferred to the backyard soon!)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/th_DirtDW1080.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/DirtDW1080.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/th_DirtStones1079.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/Ponds/DirtStones1079.jpg)

EDIT:  The top soil is now off the driveway and all in the backyard in little pyramids!! :shappy   Since the yard crew that comes out can't do much with that area, I am going to ask them to rake out and spread that soil in the backyard!

Prissy

Post by: Prissy on May 22, 2006, 11:00:06 AM
Some Closeups!

CORAL HONEYSUCKLE
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_CoralHoney0937.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/CoralHoney0937.jpg)

PURPLE BEARDED IRIS
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_Iris0938.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/Iris0938.jpg)

HIBISCUS
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_Hib1100.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/Hib1100.jpg)

Post by: Mary on May 23, 2006, 02:02:09 PM
Hi Prissy, Pepe, Debbie, Frankie, Jo Ann and all who post here.

Today Norm picked our first two white peonies. I love having fresh cut flowers in the house. I bought three peonie plants about 3 years ago and asked him to plant them in one area of the yard. He planted only one where I wanted them to go. That one has a ton of blooms ready to flower. The other two only have a few flowers. It looks like we will only get about 4 white peonies and 3 pink ones but the dark pink one (planted where I wanted them all to be planted) is really producing. He finally admitted today that I was right. He will move them in the fall.

He used to prepare the flower beds for me and leave the planting to me. Ever since we moved into this house almost 8 years ago he has become Mr. Landscaper.

We bought our tomato and pepper plants this past weekend. We are about two weeks late getting them in the ground but it has been cold here in NJ and last night there was a killer frost only twenty miles away.

We also bought impatiens, petunias and snapdragons. We desperately need mulch to keep the weeds down to a minimum.

In the past we had boy power to do some of the work but they both moved out last fall. Brian was useful and would do a lot of work but Tim we called useless because he weed whacked some of my tiny trees and flowers!

Post by: ydebi on May 23, 2006, 08:25:28 PM
Prissy It looks like that pond is going to very big...I can't wait to see it when it's done.

is that purple beared Iris really that blue???? if it is I have to say i've never seen one that blue...and it is beautiful!!!!

The hibiscus....that is my hubby's favorite flower......

My tulips are about ready to be separated...so I'll be putting some bulbs into the mail for you...

Post by: ydebi on May 23, 2006, 08:33:46 PM
ok...the rain finally stopped here in michigan and I was able to get a few pictures of some of my flowers....

a yellow iris hidden in my peony bush!!!!!!
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ydebi/flowers%20vacation/DSCN3083.jpg)

single peony
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ydebi/flowers%20vacation/DSCN3080.jpg)

poppy getting ready to bloom...peony in background
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ydebi/flowers%20vacation/DSCN3085.jpg)

when I bought this it was called a summer lilac  I'm sure it is not the correct name....anyone know what it's called?????
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ydebi/flowers%20vacation/DSCN3082.jpg)

Post by: ydebi on June 01, 2006, 05:35:18 PM
Wow we are back home...soooo we need to add our garden pictures here...sooo I;ll start!!!
while visiting a friend in Indiana...we went to two different  public gardens....here is some of the pictures from there.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ydebi/flowers%20vacation/DSCN3132.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ydebi/flowers%20vacation/DSCN3133.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ydebi/flowers%20vacation/DSCN3130.jpg)

Post by: ydebi on June 01, 2006, 05:48:15 PM
Ok...now for some blooming garden stuff from around my home.....
the front of my house.... rhododandrons in bloom... and one lone iris!!!
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ydebi/flowers%20vacation/DSCN3123.jpg)

closeups of the rhododandron
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ydebi/flowers%20vacation/DSCN3124.jpg)
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ydebi/flowers%20vacation/DSCN3108.jpg)

lone iris

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ydebi/flowers%20vacation/DSCN3106.jpg)

columbine

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ydebi/flowers%20vacation/DSCN3089.jpg)

Post by: Prissy on June 01, 2006, 08:49:53 PM
Mary,
I love hearing about all of your planting plans!  Wish we could get a glimpse of your garden.  Everything sounds wonderful!

Debi,
What a lot of vibrant color!  Your plants and flowers are just beautiful. ( And that iris is a violet color.)

ISN'T IT GREAT TO BE BACK ON THE HOME SITE!  :purpbana :purpbana :purpbana :purpbana :purpbana

Hugs,
Prissy

Post by: fhmmany2 on June 02, 2006, 07:19:45 AM
This is the first chance I've had to come to this thread since leaving for Memphis - what beautiful pictures to come home to!

Prissy - what a pond!!! When we first moved to Louisiana our neighbor had a huge goldfish pond like that. It was a natural pond, without a concrete base. He made the mistake of putting Koi in with the goldfish, and the Koi started tunneling at the sides of the pond, eating grass roots, which made the pond edges start to cave in. We spent our first Thanksgiving in Louisiana  helping him catch the Koi to remove them from the pond! I was accustomed to cold weather up north, and could not believe that I ws running around on Thanksgiving in shorts, bare-footed - standing knee-deep in a pond as it was being drained!  :lol The Koi were given to another neighbor with a differnt type of pond, and everyone lived! I look forward to lots more pond pictures!

Mary - you made me miss my grandmother (who passed away 15 years ago). Peonies  and roses were her special plants. She had beds of peonies, always - just beautiful! Yours are, too.

Debi - you have peonies, too! I have never grown Lilac - it is beautiful, as are all of your flowers.

Thank all of you for the wonderful pictures!  :ghug

Post by: Prissy on June 02, 2006, 08:01:56 AM
Frankie,

The pond Skip has dug out is very deep, actually deeper than I think it needs to be.  4 to 5 feet deep. :eek   This big hole was two ponds before; the pond on the left was deep and had koi, the pond on the right, much shallower and had water plants and gold fish.  Now, I think Skip still wants koi, but I liked seeing the water lilies and water plants and koi do eat plants, so......personally, I wish he had left well enough alone and we still had the two ponds.

They looked like one pond with the bridge stretched across.  But this is his project so I am trying to not make too many suggestions.  I just want my backyard looking good again!

Pepe is having trouble getting on the Garden Thread.  Do you think if we all thumb nailed the pictures that would make a difference? I want everyone to be able to enjoy this thread and Pepe more than anyone.

Hugs to you,
Prissy

Post by: fhmmany2 on June 02, 2006, 09:27:14 AM
Prissy - I usually thumbnail all pictures - (I occasionally will post a large picture of Clay!  :lol ) - because I was once on dial-up and I know how slowly big pictures load. It would help if everyone would use the thumbnail option.

Prissy

• Claymaniac
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 11:15:22 PM »
Post by: Prissy on June 02, 2006, 11:01:17 AM
Hello!

I am experimenting with thumbnail photos!!  Because of the large photos, it is hard for some to get on the Garden Thread.  Clandy helped me to thumbnail my photos and it is not hard to do.  After all, if I can do it, anyone can.  :bduh

If you have Photobucket, click on the small box to the left of the picture name just under the picture in the album.
Then scroll down to the box at the bottom that says:  Generate HTML and IMC code.  Click on this box.
On the page it takes you to, click on the third box that says: IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards.  Then copy and paste as usual on your post. 

I discovered that I needed to be sure to click back on the check mark by the name of the thumbnail photo in the album to make it disappear.  Otherwise, all pictures checked will post each time you click and paste! :lol :para

Stella de Oro
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_Stellas1132.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/Stellas1132.jpg)

Crepe Myrtle
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_CrepeM1166.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/CrepeM1166.jpg)

Row of Knockout Rose Bushes in the "construction site!"
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_KOroses1168.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/KOroses1168.jpg)

My Elephant Ears are finally starting to appear! :lol
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_ElepEars1170.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/ElepEars1170.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_ElepEars1171.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/ElepEars1171.jpg)

Pots of Caladiums by the house
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_Calad1174.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/Calad1174.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_Calad1175.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/Calad1175.jpg)

Tropical Hibiscus by the pool diving board
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_Hibis1163.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/Hibis1163.jpg)

:shappy :shappy :shappy :shappy :shappy :shappy :shappy :shappy :shappy :shappy :shappy

Hugs,
Prissy

Post by: Pepe on June 02, 2006, 05:31:50 PM
OH MY GOSH I HAVE TO OFFER UP PRAYERS TO THE GOOD LORD THAT I FINALLY GOT ON THE GARDEN THREAD.  FOR A WEEK BEFORE THE SITE WENT DOWN I COULDN'T GET ON EITHER.  WHAT A TREASURE TROVE OF BEAUTIFUL PICTURES TO SEE!! :bouncy :bouncy

MARY, PEONIES ARE ONE OF MY FAVORITE FLOWERS TOO.  I ALSO CUT ANY FLOWER I CAN FIND IN MY YARD AND BRING IT IN THE HOUSE.  AND IN THE FALL, WINTER AND SPRING I BUY BOUQUETS EVERY WEEK AT WALMART TO PUT IN MY HOUSE.  YEP FRESH FLOWERS ARE ALWAYS IN MY HOUSE. 

DEBI, YOUR FLOWERS ARE FANTASTIC.  I LOVE THE LARGE GROUPS OF THEM THAT YOU HAVE YOUR TULIPS WERE OUTSTANDING AS ARE YOUR PEONIES AND POPPIES.  MAGNIFICANT GIRL!  I HAVE NEVER SEEN A PEONIE IN THE SHADE OF RED, IT IS FABULOUS.  IF YOU KNOW ME YOU KNOW I LOVE ANYTHING RED.  I JUST CAN'T SAY ENOUGH ABOUT YOUR BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS.

PRISSY, HEY SKIP LOOKS GREAT ON THE EARTH MOVER.  MEN LOVES THOSE MACHINES I GUESS THEY FEEL MANLY!!!  YOUR FLOWERS ARE BEAUTIFUL , BOY YOUR YARD IS REALLY GOING THRU A BIG TRANSFORMATION.  IT IS GOING TO BE FABULOUS.  JUST HOW MUCH PROPERTY IN THE BACK DO YOU HAVE.  SO MUCH ROOM TO DO ALL THIS WONDERFUL THINGS TO. 

HOW WONDERFUL IT IS TO BE BACK WITH YOU ALL, I MISSED YOU ALL SO MUCH AND ALL THE WONDERFUL PICTURES THAT FEEDS MY SOUL.  LOVE ANYTHING THAT GROWS, ANIMALS AND LITTLE CHILDREN!!!!

HUGS, PEPE

Post by: Prissy on June 05, 2006, 05:19:07 AM
Hello!

Pepe,
I think Skip "enjoyed" digging with the big Kuboda, but he was exhausted for three days afterwards.  I don't think he realizes he's almost 62 and not used to that much physical activity.

We have  a long lot. with a fairly normal front yard and a rear entry garage.  Beyond the garage and driveway is a grassy area, and then the pool area with the deck with the Gazebo near the pool and the deck extending out to it;  then there is another big area of what used to be grass, and beyond that a large area that is woods.  Just before the woods begin is where the pond is with the waterfalls on the left.
I want the backyard finished (which means the pond and waterfall) before my sixtieth birthday next April.  I plan to have a big open house all day and want people to be inside and out.  I hope the yard is looking like a park by then.  :cross

I have played some outdoor weddings recently but don't think I've posted those photos here.  Usually there is just a mass of white folding chairs set in rows and the setting itself is what is pretty.

Click on each photo to make large.

Parsons Wedding Chapel in  Aledo, TX
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_IMG_6135_JPG.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/IMG_6135_JPG.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_IMG_6134_JPG.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/IMG_6134_JPG.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_Building20Front_JPG.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/Building20Front_JPG.jpg)

Grounds of the Mandalay Omni Hotel in Los Colinas, TX
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_Wedding1153.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/Wedding1153.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_Wedding1154.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/Wedding1154.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_Wedding1155.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/Wedding1155.jpg)

Wedding outside of Timmiron Golf and Country Club in Southlake, TX
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_GolfClWed032.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/GolfClWed032.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_GolfClWed033.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/GolfClWed033.jpg)

Paradise Cove on Lake Grapevine in Grapevine, TX
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_GAZGV1005.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/GAZGV1005.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_ArchGV1004.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/ArchGV1004.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_GpvnLk1003.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/GpvnLk1003.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_ParadCove1002.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/ParadCove1002.jpg)

All of these cities and towns are not too far from where I live, and from 10 to 40 minutes from my home.  One plus about playing these weddings is that we get to see some really beautiful places we ordinarily would not know about.

Hugs,
Prissy

Post by: Pepe on June 05, 2006, 02:48:21 PM
PRISSY, SUCH BEAUTIFUL PLACES.  YOU LIVE IN A BEAUTIFUL AREA.  I WISH I WAS BORN A TEXAN!!! :bouncy :bouncy

HUGS, PEPE

Post by: ACcountryFan on June 05, 2006, 09:42:06 PM
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/ACcountryFan/Myscans/grandparentsmallergarden.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/ACcountryFan/Myscans/grandparentslargergarden.jpg)

Those are my grandparent's garden's. The larger one sits near their apple tree and the smaller one, sits next to their house. My silver Prizm is located below the hill. They still have the gardens as you can see but they aren't as into them as they once were...

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/ACcountryFan/Myscans/mybackyardview.jpg)

This is a view of my backyard as i was standing on my back porch. I don't know if i have ever posted these here before or not?? That's one of the amish built swing sets in the distance. If it shows up clear, you can see the split rail fence my dad and brother-in-law built along the back yard. It's located off to the left of the picture

I'll have another pic to add...

Post by: Prissy on June 05, 2006, 09:52:11 PM
FROM PEPE:

HERE IS ONE OF MY SPECIALTY IRIS THAT WAS PLANTED HERE. SUCH AN UNUSUAL COLOR. I HAVE SOME MINATURE JAPANESE IRIS ALMOST READY TO BLOOM. IT IS KIND OF FUN TO SEE WHAT IS COMING UP IN THE YARD SINCE THIS IS MY FIRST SPRING HERE.

(Click on photos to make larger.)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_000_0102.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/000_0102.jpg)

MORE IRIS PLUS RED IMPATIENTS I HAVE JUST PLANTED, THEY ARE STILL ITTY BITTY! WILL BE PRETTY LATER IN THE SUMMER IF THE DEER DON'T EAT THEM .

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/th_000_0104.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Prissy2/House%20and%20Yard%20Photos/000_0104.jpg)

Prissy

• Claymaniac
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 11:17:02 PM »
Post by: Prissy on June 05, 2006, 09:59:38 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THE GARDEN THREAD

ONE YEAR OLD ON JUNE 5!!

SPECIAL THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVED SHARED THEIR BEAUTIFUL GARDENS AND FLOWERS WITH US!!

AC,
Welcome to the Garden Thread on its Anniversary!! You really live on a lot of land!  Just loved seeing your pictures!!

Pepe,
The irises are beautiful.  I'm always glad to post for you.  I don't think you would like the 90+ degrees we have in Texas for lots of days in the Spring and Summer!! :eek

Hugs,
Prissy

Post by: ACcountryFan on June 05, 2006, 10:17:45 PM
HELLO PRISSY...I HAD NO IDEA THIS WAS AN ANNIVERSARY FOR THE THREAD!!!

TWO MORE PICS...

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/ACcountryFan/Myscans/fenceflowersandswing.jpg)

THIS IS A VIEW JUST RIGHT OUTSIDE THE BACK DOOR IF YOU LOOK TO THE RIGHT, YOU WILL SEE THAT. THAT IS THE LITTLE FLOWER BED MY DAD AND MOM MADE. IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY FLOWERS IN IT...JUST BUSHES AND A BIRD BATH. MY DAD BUILT THAT WHITE PRIVACY FENCE, TOO. WELL, HE BOUGHT THE PANELS AT A HARDWARE STORE BUT HE DUG THE HOLES FOR THE POSTS AND CONSTRUCTED IT BY HAND. SOMETIMES I'D HELP IF HE WANTED ANY. :lol

YOU WILL ALSO CATCH A GLIMPSE OF THE OTHER AMISH BUILT SWING. THAT'S THE ONE THEY TYPICALLY SIT IN. THEY HAVE IT SITTING SOMEWHERE ELSE, NOW. THE PICTURE IS DATED SOMEWHAT.

THIS IS AN UP-CLOSE LOOK AT THE FRONT OF OUR HOUSE...MY PARENT's ADDED IN ALL OF THAT AFTER WE MOVED HERE. THE SMALL TREES AND THE ROCK FLOWER BED, etc etc THE LIGHT HOUSE IS A NEW ADDITION.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/ACcountryFan/Myscans/flowerbedfrontyard.jpg)

AS YOU CAN SEE, OFF TO THE LEFT OF OUR FRONT PORCH IS ANOTHER FLOWER GARDEN THAT IS FLOWERLESS. I THINK MY MOM IS ON A BUSHES AND TREE KICK.

IF YOU ALL LOOK CAREFULLY YOU CAN BE ABLE TO SEE SOME OF THE GARDEN GNOMES SITTING AROUND. THEY'RE HARD TO DETECT IN A SCANNED PICTURE.

Post by: Mary on June 05, 2006, 11:26:10 PM
With all the pounding rain that we had this past weekend all of our peonies look beaten down.

Norm has planted his vegetable garden, inpatients in flower boxes around the deck, snapdragons, etc.

Our surprise crop this year was supposed to be acorn squash. He planted cantolope instead. Oh, well, that was my second choice.  He just planted pumpkin seeds tonight.

The deer topped one of his pepper plants and Norm had protected it with netting. We knew that we might loose a few to the deer so he planted six.

The next flowers coming in should be daises and cala lillie's. Our rhododendron is in full bloom.

Our two remaining rose bushes are blooming and we have to protect them from the deer because they killed six other rose bushes that I planted about six and seven years ago.

I love all the pictures that are posted and it gives me ideas for next year.

This year is strictly a maintenance year. We are overgrown and need to transplant a lot of bushes.

Post by: JoAnn Moody on June 06, 2006, 01:59:14 PM
These are for you Pepe!  Fresh in from Fairnbanks, Alaska.  It snowed on June 4 and the three photos show begining, middle and pouring snow.  Mys sister in law made the small temporary white greenhouse, but hanging baskets still got "nipped."
JoAnn

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/JAM1/LeisaBBQ001.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/JAM1/LeisaBBQ002.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/JAM1/LeisaBBQ003.jpg)

Prissy

• Claymaniac
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 11:19:03 PM »
Post by: Pepe on June 06, 2006, 05:29:37 PM
JOANN, THANKS FOR THE ALASKA PICTURES, YOU KNOW I ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD TO THEM.  MY GOSH WHILE I WAS LOOKING AT THOSE PICTURES I WAS ACTUALLY GETTING COLD. BRRRRRRRRR!!!!!  AFTER SPENDING MY FIRST WINTER BACK HERE IN MICHIGAN I CAN'T EVEN THINK WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE TO LIVE IN ALASKA.  I ADMIRE YOUR BROTHER AND HIS FAMILY!  WHEN DOES IT START STAYING LIGHT ALL THE TIME?  THAT HAS TO BE WHY THEIR VEGETABLES GETS SO HUGE. 

MARY, ALWAYS LOVE TO SEE YOU HERE.  SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE DEER PROBLEMS LIKE I DO! 

PRISSY, I FELT LIKE I SHOULD POST SOMETHING BUT A LOT OF MY FLOWERS ARE JUST TINY AS THEY WILL JUST START TO GROW NOW SHOULD LOOK PRETTY LATER ON IN THE SUMMER. 

Post by: Tammy on June 07, 2006, 08:07:47 AM
Here are a few pictures from my yard I took yesterday...  Everything is small because they were just planted and the perennials are just starting to get larger.. As things bloom and get larger I will take more pictures and post them..

This is the front of my house..  The garden in front has Sedum and hostas in there...  I also planted lots of impatients which will blanket the whole bed within a month or so.. Last year it was absolutely beautiful..  The bushes that had already bloomed were azaleas and rhodededenrums..

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006121.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006121.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006118.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006118.jpg)

Here is the back part of my yard thats fenced in..  It includes all my flower beds and a vegetable garden .   There are still many more things to be planted and a few more yard decorations i need to put up.. . These gardens also get very full by mid summer..

The purple plants are my cat mints.. The humming birds love them..

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006086.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006086.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006085.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006085.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006106.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006106.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006113.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006113.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006097.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006097.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006095.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006095.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006094.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006094.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006093.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006093.jpg)

This is my itty bitty pond and some of the plants that surround it..

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006092.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006092.jpg)

This Fairy that overlooks my pond is very special.. It was givin to me by Lorraine and Linda for my birthday last year..

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006091.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006091.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006090.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006090.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006088.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006088.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006087.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006087.jpg)

These are my Wave Petunias that I was told would be a wonderful addtion to my garden.. I got three different colors.. I hope they get as bushy as everyone says they do...

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006102.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006102.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006101.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006101.jpg)

Here is our property behind my fence where the pups run, the deer walk through and other wild animals and birds enjoy. I love having woods behind my house.. We own more of that wooded area but are keeping it like it is..  I would like to plant a few fruit trees down there this year..

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006108.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006108.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/th_TarasWeddingandgarden2006107.jpg) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tinky59/YARD/TarasWeddingandgarden2006107.jpg)

Post by: Prissy on June 07, 2006, 12:15:27 PM
Tammy!
What wonderful pictures!!  I feel like I'm visiting you and just had a tour of your front and back yard.  Everything is just lovely.  You really have a talent for planting and creating wonderful beds.  I just love the bed with the pond.  I had Skip look at it because I want a similar shaped bed on one side of the backyard with our new tree as the centerpiece.
That Fairy statue is perfect by the pond and has special meaning because if is a gift from Linda and Lorraine. 
I can't wait to see what the wave petunias will do;  I bet they will get huge.  Makes me want to get some.
Are those hostas in the second photo? Just wondering?
Don't you just love the woods and all that space behind you? :smile
Thanks for sharing!  :hugg

JoAnn,
Loved the Alaska pictures with the snow falling.  Is it actually winter now for them or do they have our seasons.  I should probably know that!! :bduh

Hugs,
Prissy

Post by: fhmmany2 on June 08, 2006, 10:44:25 AM
Yeah! New Posters!

Prissy - another beautiful wedding site!

Mary - glad you getting to plant things -our graden will be finished (by the heat!), and yours will still be growing strong!

AC - good to see your yard and grandparents' garden.

Pepe - what a beautiful Iris!

JoAnn - I couldn't live in Alaska - but the snow pictures are beautiful.

Tammy - I remember seeing your pictures from last year - you have a wonderful yard,

A few plants I love:

Bleeding Heart:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_gheart.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/gheart.jpg)

Begonias:

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/th_gbegonias.jpg) (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/fhmmany2/Garden/gbegonias.jpg)

The Orange Day Lillies are finally blooming:

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Our Favorite Threads  |  HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW? CHAPTER 1

gfxgfx
gfx