gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229528 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 29, 2024, 03:01:29 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 22
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 22  (Read 1912 times)

fhmmany2

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 22
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 22
« on: December 22, 2003, 06:53:54 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLAY MENTIONED IN TIME MAGAZINE ARTICLE - 'HAS THE MAINSTREAM RUN DRY?'

Other times, though, you don't immediately recognize the voice of the mainstream even when it shows up on your TV and belts out Mack the Knife. Clay Aiken, the skinny, geeky American Idol runner-up who was the year's surprise recording star, was, you might say, so mainstream that he was weird: a straitlaced, smiling, asexual whippet who loved to sing standards. Idol's judges, and record-company execs, doubted that Clay could make it in the pop market of 2003. One multiplatinum CD later — Measure of a Man, so pure it floats — he proved them wrong and showed that in some ways the mainstream is now itself a niche.
Aiken's sales, by the way, outstripped those of Ruben Studdard, the moon-faced R.-and-B. crooner who won Idol. So who speaks for the mainstream, the TV audience voting with its phones or the music audience voting with its wallets? Is a thing mainstream only to the extent that we're willing to pay money for it?

TIME MAGAZINE

This whole article is interesting, if you are into that kind of thing!

Report to moderator    Logged 

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 06:58:21 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHRISTMAS COUNTDOWN:  3 DAYS!

DISNEY PARADE INFO FROM THEIR WEBSITE

-Singing idol Enrique Iglesias
-"American Idol" favorite Clay Aiken
- pop star Jessica Simpson
-singer-songwriter-actor Carlos Ponce   
- Award-winning talk show host Wayne Brady joins performers from "Disney's Tarzan Rocks" 
- Country vocal group of the year Rascal Flatts
- Disney Channel star Raven showcasing the new Walt Disney World® Resort spectacular "Mickey's PhilharMagic"

DISNEY LINK

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 07:28:50 AM »   

Idol takes to the ice
Clay Aiken's foundation helps disabled, able-bodied children play together

By JEAN P. FISHER, Staff Writer

Like ducklings sliding on a frozen pond, about 100 children in special-edition Carolina Hurricanes jerseys trailed spiky-haired Raleigh native and pop idol Clay Aiken across the ice at the RBC Center on Sunday.
"Get out there and fall in front of him; remember, I taught you this!" Stephanie Long of Raleigh urged her 8-year-old daughter Morgan. Dad, good guy that he is, was in line outside the Banks D. Kerr YMCA at 4:45 a.m. Saturday to nab one of the limited number of tickets offered on a first-come, first-served basis.

If it hadn't been for the handful of children pushed across the ice in wheelchairs, it would have been difficult to spot anything unusual about the gathering -- just a bunch of Claymaniacs out for some Mom-approved fun.

That was the point of the event, which brought 50 children with disabilities together with 50 of their nondisabled peers.

"We want to break down those walls and really erase the lines that divide kids with and without disabilities," Aiken said at a brief news conference, before changing his pinstriped suit for jeans and a personalized red Canes jersey.

Since placing second in the TV talent competition American Idol 2 in May, Aiken has used his fame to build support for his favorite cause: integrating children with special needs with nondisabled children.

He established the Bubel-Aiken Foundation to raise money for such programs.

On Sunday, the foundation announced a formal partnership with the Canes' charitable organization, the Kids 'N Community Foundation.

Details are still fuzzy, but the Canes have already helped raise $50,000 for Aiken's group.

That's how much the Bubel-Aiken Foundation raised by selling tickets at up to $375 a pop for tonight's Hurricanes game against Dallas; Aiken will sing.

Those who purchased the special tickets will get a seat in one of three RBC Center party suites, which the Canes donated.

Aiken, who is scheduled to sing the national anthem and a cut from his double-platinum selling album, "Measure of a Man," will go from suite to suite to mix with fans.

Proceeds will help the Bubel-Aiken Foundation develop programming and provide scholarships to enable children with special needs to participate.

Wachovia Bank picked up the tab for the "Skate with Clay" on Sunday, an example of the type of event the foundation will sponsor.

It's just one more reason to love Clay, said Stephanie Smith, who spent Friday night outside a Raleigh YMCA with her 14-year-old daughter, Katie, to get one of 50 tickets offered to nondisabled children.

"As a mom, I think he's a great role model," said Smith, who lives in Hillsborough.

"This was kind of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be that close to Clay and be able to interact with him."

NEWS & OBSERVER

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 08:27:07 AM »   

Hey, they said CLAYMANIACS!

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell

mackncsu
Enthusiastic

I love it!

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 08:49:00 AM »   

You're right!!! That's awesome!!!

Tacet Twin #2 (the brains)
Dont hate me because Clay knows I dont play
Player of Clays favorite instrument! 

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 02:31:09 PM »   

Clay Aiken Entertains Shoppers At Crabtree Valley Mall
Pop Star To Sing At Carolina Hurricanes Game
UPDATED: 1:07 p.m. EST December 22, 2003

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Clay Aiken joined Bill Jordan and Sheri Logan of WRAL-FM at Crabtree Valley Mall Monday to give away tickets to Monday night's hockey game between the Carolina Hurricanes and Dallas Stars in Raleigh.

WRAL-FM invited 101 pre-qualified listeners to join Aiken at Center Court, lower level, for an opportunity to win tickets. Two of those qualified will win a VIP suite visit for four with Aiken at the game.

Aiken will perform the national anthem prior to the game and also will sing one of his hit songs during the first intermission.

Bill and Sheri will also present Aiken with a $10,000 check for his Bubel/Aiken Foundation from MIX 101.5 WRAL-FM. The foundation serves to help children with developmental disabilities to be included in all life has to offer.

WRAL

houstonclayfan
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 04:37:35 PM »   

Clay Wins Round Two Against Ruben

It appears that “American Idol” runner-up Clay Aiken has won round two against the show’s winner Ruben Studdard -- now that both have released their debut CDs.
While Studdard’s J Records debut, “Soulful” came in at Billboard’s number one spot selling more than 400,000 copies, Studdard’s first week sales total was some 200,000 shy of the number of copies sold of Clay Aiken’s “Measure of a Man” in its first week of release earlier this year. As a matter of fact, Clay’s CD debuted better than Britney Spears’ and Madonna’s latest offerings.

However, according to Studdard, he doesn’t necessarily see the two of them in a competition at all.

“Clay is my friend and everything about us being in a competition is just media hype,” he says. “I just feel blessed that I’m able to make music and live out my dream,” adds Studdard.

It actually looks like both Clay and Ruben will end up winners, because one day when they’re much, much older, they’ll be able to look back at their debut CDs that went platinum and smile, as both have the talent to maintain long careers.

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/celebrity/celebgossip.jsp?column=/becksmith_jsp/content/cel20031219.htm

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 11:20:56 PM »   

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY COVERS CLAY'S GRADUATION

Clay Feat
Clay Aiken graduates from college.
by Brian Hiatt

Turns out Clay was achin' for education. ''American Idol'' runner-up Aiken graduated from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte Sunday -- to applause and scattered boos from the crowd, according to the Associated Press. When Aiken took the stage to get his degree, Chancellor James Woodward introduced him as ''one among you [who] has received a bit more attention.'' Aiken then delivered a short speech, saying: ''This is more special to me than a lot of the things that have happened to me this year, because what happens here today says something to people.'' Aiken received a degree in special education.

LINK

cpclay
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2003, 01:15:07 PM »   

Just read the magazine People and it has a short feature on Clay. He's really in the news for 2003, hopefully more on 2004 and the years to come. I just really love seeing Clay in magazines and in TV. Good work Clay.  Thanks for being a good Clay.

clay_bball_luvr
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2003, 02:53:02 PM »   

:evil:  I did NOT like the description of Clay in the quote from TIME magazine.  quote: "he was weird: a straitlaced, smiling, asexual whippet".  :x  Clay is not asexual, and people should stop refering to him as such :!: :!:  :!:  I'm gonna go look at some VERY SEXY pics of Clay now, to fantacize and blow off some steam.

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

Re: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 22
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2003, 06:42:28 PM »   

Quote from: clay_bball_luvr
:evil:  I did NOT like the description of Clay in the quote from TIME magazine.  quote: "he was weird: a straitlaced, smiling, asexual whippet".  :x  Clay is not asexual, and people should stop refering to him as such :!: :!:  :!:  I'm gonna go look at some VERY SEXY pics of Clay now, to fantacize and blow off some steam.

That just shows how little the mainstream media really knows about normal people and what we really think.  When Clay is performing, he transcends any and all negative descriptors.  He is confident and so full of joy when performing that he is sexy and fascinating to watch. He draws you in and makes you feel it too.

Or maybe it was just a typo, and they mean to say 'smiling, sexual whippet.'  Yeah, that's probably it.

:mrgreen:

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 22

gfxgfx
gfx