gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229518 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 11:37:09 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 21
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 21  (Read 1763 times)

fhmmany2

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 21
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 21
« on: December 21, 2003, 10:59:59 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a little meditation to start us off on this glorious day.

"Today, find a way to make changes in yourself instead of someone else. Sometimes the results are the same."

And now, the news!

On Dec. 21, immediately following the Hurricanes’ “Skate with the Canes” event, Aiken will host “Skate with Clay,” where Aiken will skate with children, both disabled and without disabilities. “Skate with Clay” will kick off with a news conference to announce a partnership between the Hurricanes’ Kids N’ Community Foundation and Aiken’s The Bubel/Aiken Foundation.

“I am very thankful to the Hurricanes for the opportunity to help spread the word about The Bubel/ Aiken Foundation,” said Aiken. “It is a thrill for me to have such support from my hometown. I am excited about our partnership with the Hurricanes and the opportunities we will bring- together- to children with special needs.”

CAROLINA HURRICANES

December 21st, Skate with Clay

Fifty children with disabilities will be sharing the ice with fifty typical children. Activities on the day of the Skate will begin with a pre-gathering from 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm at the Banks D. Kerr Family YMCA where specially created hockey jerseys and holiday bags will await the skaters. Afterwards, the children will move to the RBC Center where Aiken will join them on the ice from 4:00 pm to 5:30 pm.

BAF CALENDAR

Report to moderator    Logged 

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2003, 11:09:20 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aiken gets diploma, donates money for youths
Despite limit on tickets, arena had empty seats
DIANE SUCHETKA AND LEIGH DYER
Staff Writers

Amid a mix of cheers and a smattering of boos, "American Idol" star Clay Aiken walked across a platform at UNC Charlotte's Halton Arena and received a degree in special education he may not need for a while.

At a news conference after Saturday's ceremony, Aiken announced $175,000 in donations to two national organizations and the creation of a program to help young people with mental disabilities serve their communities.

"Thank you so much for letting me be part of this day," Aiken told fellow graduates as the two-hour commencement came to a close.

Dozens of students were angered by a seven-guest limit the university placed on them a month before graduation, after the pop music star announced he would attend the ceremony. Officials worried fans would flood graduation and take seats from graduates' guests.

In the end, though, university officials said every student who requested more tickets got them. Of the 8,412 available, only about 6,500 were used. That left hundreds of empty seats in the arena where graduation proceeded like any other, until the end.

Aiken said he expected some boos but wanted to attend commencement like any other student. "I worked for four years and wanted to be here," he said.

He was the last of 593 students to walk onto the platform and shake UNCC Chancellor Jim Woodward's hand. Woodward then led Aiken onto a stage.

"One among you has received a bit more attention than the others," Woodward said, "and he would like to speak to his class."

Aiken told the crowd that graduating was more special to him than many other remarkable things in the past year.

"This is a day that makes a statement," he said, "about how important it is to persevere and continue to work and strive to succeed.

"Congratulations and God bless."

A year ago, Aiken was just another UNCC undergrad. But he became a national phenomenon last spring as he competed on the "American Idol" television show. Since then he's recorded a top-selling album, appeared in dozens of national magazines and performed to packed arenas across the country.

At the 5:30 p.m. news conference, Aiken announced that his Bubel/Aiken Foundation is giving $25,000 to President Bush's Council on Service and Civic Participation. The council, along with Aiken's foundation, will create a program that recognizes people who help the mentally disabled.

Also, Aiken said he is giving $150,000 to Youth Service America to start a program that will help people with mental disabilities develop service projects.

"Too often, we look at youth with disabilities as a population to be served instead of asking them to serve," Aiken said in a news release.

Aiken was awarded a bachelor's degree in special education Saturday. His Bubel/Aiken Foundation is named for Michael Bubel, a young man with autism Aiken was helping while studying at UNCC, and for his mother, Diane Bubel, who encouraged Aiken to audition for "American Idol."

Aiken's fans have raised more than $200,000 for the foundation since its founding in July.

"Some of it was attached to panties that flew on stage," Aiken said at the news conference, dressed in a black suit, white shirt and white tie, with a What Would Jesus Do bracelet on his wrist.

"If the panties keep coming, I'm fine with that."

CHARLOTTE OBSERVER (registration required)

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2003, 11:13:32 AM »   

Sunday, Aiken will hold a fundraiser for his foundation in Raleigh. Immediately following the Carolina Hurricanes' "Skate with the Canes" event, Aiken will host "Skate with Clay," during which Aiken will skate with children, including those with disabilities.

"Skate with Clay" will kick off with a news conference to announce a partnership between the Hurricanes' Kids N' Community Foundation and the Bubel Aiken Foundation.

Monday at noon, he will join Bill and Sheri from the Mix 101.5 morning radio show at Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh. Monday night, Aiken will sing the national anthem prior to the Hurricanes' game against the Dallas Stars.

In addition to the national anthem, he will perform a song from his double platinum-selling "Measure of a Man" album during the game's first intermission.

In addition, exclusive Aiken autographed merchandise will be available at auction during the game at the Kids N' Community Foundation kiosk.

WRAL LINK

outthereforclay
  what a man?
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2003, 02:28:21 PM »   

oh, Pamela, I'm so jealous of you guys in Raleigh! What a treat for you! :roll:

WHAT A MAN! :  :D

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2003, 03:11:34 PM »   

CLAY AND RUBEN #2 EW ENTERTAINERS OF THE YEAR

American Dreamers

Think back to the first time you saw Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken audition for the ''American Idol'' troika of terror (a.k.a. Simon, Randy, and Paula): Ruben resembled an overstuffed Care Bear, and Clay, all bushy eyebrows and glasses, looked like he had just received a wedgie backstage.

But when Clay and Ruben hit their notes, the other, prettier ''Idol'' contestants -- from the scantily clad vixens (yes, you, Trenyce) to the G.I. Joe pinups (hello, Josh) -- were rendered mute. ''Velvet Teddy Bear'' Ruben made 205 jerseys the season's must-have item, while ''Aiken for Clay'' became a prepubescent mantra.

''In the past few weeks I've looked back at the early performances,'' says Clay, 25. ''Every week I'm looking more and more different. I'd like to think I haven't changed, but it's pretty obvious my entire life has.'' Even the shy and laconic Ruben becomes almost animated when recalling his ''Idol'' victory. ''Winning the show was the most exciting thing I've ever done,'' says the 25-year-old. ''I got to meet Stevie Wonder this year. And he knew my song.''

Of course he did. If he's like 22 million of us, his entire life revolved around ''Idol'' from January to May. Who did not tear up when big Ru let loose his inner Luther (and a quart of forehead sweat) with an ultra-smoove rendition of ''Superstar''? Or while listening to Clay's goose-bump-inducing ''Bridge Over Troubled Water''?

The adulation translated into sales and industry accolades: Clay's ''Measure of a Man'' debuted at No. 1 and has sold over 1.4 million copies, while Ruben grabbed a Grammy nom for ''Superstar.'' Not that they'll be scheduling make-out sessions with Madonna anytime soon. ''We're still fish out of water,'' says Clay, who checks in with Ruben twice a month. ''We're just trying to swim in a new river.'' --by Jessica Shaw

EW LINK (access code required - ewhomepage)

Pictures are in The Photo Album!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

Re: what a man?
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2003, 03:14:51 PM »   

Quote from: outthereforclay
oh, Pamela, I'm so jealous of you guys in Raleigh! What a treat for you! :roll:
WHAT A MAN! :  :D

outthere, are you kidding me?  The mall?  Three days before Christmas?  Total chaos, I'm telling you.  A person would have to be over the edge to even consider it.  They would have to be approaching lunacy, to be sure.

Yeah, I'll be there. 

:

mackncsu
Enthusiastic

I love it!

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2003, 03:24:44 PM »   

haha I'll be there too Pamela...with my brother! What time r u getting there?

Tacet Twin #2 (the brains)
Dont hate me because Clay knows I dont play
Player of Clays favorite instrument! 

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2003, 03:42:31 PM »   

Here is a link to the webcam at the RBC Center is Raleigh.  The Skate with Clay event is happening now, but you won't be able to see much because everyone looks so tiny!

RBC WEBCAM

outthereforclay
  Clay is a headliner!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2003, 03:51:15 PM »   

In our big Sunday newspaper, the weekly TV booklet. The cover is of Regis and Kelly re: the Disney parade. So I casually open the cover page and what do I see on the first inside page--on the right!

Clayton Holmes Aiken in his white suit, doing his semi-knee bend, arm- out-to-the-side stance while singing a glory note from the AI Christmas special!  The pic takes up almost 1/4 of the page and the caption reads:

Clay Aiken ('American Idol') is among the performers scheduled to participate in this year's 'Walt Disney World Christmas Day Parade', which ABC will broadcast Thursday as a two-hour special. 

But that's not the best part. Half of the page is a listing and synopses of holdiday specials coming up. Here's #6

"AN AMERICAN IDOL CHRISTMAS" (Tuesday, Fox): Here's a chance to hear the holiday crooning of stars of the talent competition's first two seasons. Clay Aiken plays host and joins others , including "Idol winners Kelly Clarkson and Ruben Studdard, to harmonize.

Gee, with the picture and the mention of him playing host and [evidently agreeing] to "join others", I wonder who this publication thinks the major draw is?   :  8)

any wild guesses?   :

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 04:31:30 PM »   

In our weekend paper (small central Maine publication) we get the "TV Watch" booklet every week.  This week's top story was all about the upcoming Christmas programming.  They talked about the Disney Parade, the Nick at Night special, and then the American Idol Christmas special--all mentioning Clay in a nice way.  The quote in the final special is "Clay Aiken-maybe the hardest working man in television this yuletide- plays host and joins others, including "idol" winners, Kelly Clarkson and Ruben Studdard, to harmonize".

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 21

gfxgfx
gfx