gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229885 Posts in 2575 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay April 20, 2024, 08:08:48 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 11
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 11  (Read 1866 times)

fhmmany2

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 11
« on: March 25, 2010, 12:38:24 PM »
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 11
« on: December 10, 2003, 11:50:14 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Performances, Laughs Power 2003 BMAs

"Here's what I've learned, in five short words: Music is it's own reward."Such was the lesson former schoolteacher-turned-international superstar Sting had to share as he accepted the Century Award at the 2003 Billboard Music Awards earlier tonight (Dec. 10) in Las Vegas.

Presented by Stevie Wonder, whom he called "my teacher, my guru, my inspiration," Sting dedicated the honor to late Billboard editor in chief Timothy White and said, "I only hope I can live up to the acclaim."

The rewards of music were undoubtedly reaped by the fans watching the stage at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, across which one top act after another performed throughout the two-hour show. After a brief skit by host Ryan Seacrest, the show kicked off with No Doubt's rendition of Talk Talk's "It's My Life," and showed few signs of slowing down as the night unfolded.

The Foo Fighters exploded with "All My Life," Pink writhed across a gigantic turntable as she sung "God Is a DJ" surrounded by a troupe of limber dancers and four-time winner Beyoncé delivered the sultry, yet empowering "Me, Myself & I," which she introduced by saying, "Ladies, I wrote this for you."

With his performance of "Send Your Love," Sting became the first of 12 Century Award honorees to perform as part of his acceptance. The track is taken from his eighth solo album, "Sacred Love" (A&M). In lieu of her acceptance for country artist of the year, Shania Twain also performed, belting out "She's Not Just a Pretty Face" while surrounded on stage by dozens of children.

R. Kelly, who took home four awards, rode through the arena in a red sled en route to performing his hit single "Step in the Name of Love." Earlier, Evanescence delivered the night's most dramatic performance with its hit "Bring Me To Life." Taking a cue from past Billboard Music Awards off-site performances, the group positioned itself amidst the discarded signage of Sin City in the Neon Graveyard.

Clay Aiken showed off the voice that has won him a legion of passionate fans by performing "Invisible." Immediately following his song, Aiken was given an award for best selling single of the year ("This Is the Night" / "Bridge Over Troubled Water"). "This is really a thrill to me," he said. "It's been an amazing year."

Along with performances, a light-hearted mood kept jokes flying from Seacrest, as well as some of the presenters. But the highest quotient of barbs came from Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, who was joined at the podium by Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl. Among those who felt the sting from the "Come Poop With Me"-plugging hand puppet were Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Michael Jackson, Enrique Iglesias, Chingy, Sting and "American Idol"

BILLBOARD LINK

Report to moderator    Logged 

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 12:29:47 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richmond Times Dispatch review of AI Christmas CD:

A Idol, "The Great Holiday Classics" (RCA)

Well, at least they spared us the losers.

This 10-song collection (plus a two-song "bonus" disc featuring Kelly Clarkson on two more holiday weepers) spotlights "American Idol" winners Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard. OK, technically only Studdard won, but you wouldn't know it from the amount of publicity given to his talented runner-up, Aiken.

The geek/stud, depending upon whom you ask, soars magnificently through "The First Noel" and jingles his way through a sultry "Silver Bells" with Kimberly Locke, a formidable vocalist in her own right. Studdard, meanwhile, wraps his booming baritone around "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" (with Tamyra Gray) and bops merrily through a synth-drenched "This Christmas." Interestingly, all of Studdard's recent studio work seems to have stripped him of his vocal identity. The dawg can sing, but now he sounds like any random soul/R&B singer rather than the silken crooner he was on "AI."

Also making an appearance, before he went AWOL from the RCA Records roster, is last year's "AI" runner-up, Justin Guarini. How fitting that his given song is "I'll Be Home For Christmas." Apparently, he has no place else to be.

RICHMOND TIMES LINK

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 11:28:22 AM »   

The Billboard charts are out! 

Clay and MoaM have moved up to #11 from #14.

BILLBOARD

Invisible remains at #12 on the Adult Contemporary chart.

BILLBOARD AC

And, Invisible remains at #43 on the Hot 100 Singles chart.

BILLBOARD HOT 100

CONGRATULATIONS CLAY!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 12:44:10 PM »   

AIKEN wins award, performs at Billboard Music Awards
News 14 Carolina, NC

Hip hop may have dominated Thursday night's 2003 Billboard Music Awards but that doesn't mean American Idol finalist Clay Aiken was left out in the cold.

Not only did the Raleigh crooner perform his hit single "Invisible" but he also snatched up an award for "Best Selling Single of the Year".

The Billboard Awards honor the year's chart-topping artists.

Winners are determined by the magazine's year-end chart listings, which are based on record sales and airplay.

If watching Clay claim another award on television wasn't enough for devoted Claymaniacs, your child may be able to catch him in person later this month. Clay is set to take the ice at the RBC Center on December 21.

"Skate with Clay" will spotlight one of the Bubel/Aiken Foundation's main missions, raising awareness about children with developmental disabilities.

50 children with disabilities will be sharing the ice with 50 non-disabled children.

Registration for non-disabled children will be held this Saturday at 8:00 a.m. at the Banks D. Kerr YMCA at 2500 Wakefield Pines Drive in Raleigh. Only one child per family may be registered. Call (919) 562-9622 for more information.

Children must be between the ages of five and 18 and they must be registered by a parent or a legal guardian. The first 50 children will be accepted.

Clay will also perform at the December 22nd Carolina Hurricanes game against the Dallas Stars. He will sing the national anthem and then perform a song from his "Measure of a Man" album during the game's first intermission.

NEWS 14 LINK

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 02:59:26 PM »   

It's that time again...

VOTE FOR INVISIBLE ON TRL!

You can vote on the Net or by phone (AI flashback!)
It's more effective to call in your votes if at all possible, because 1 phone call=50 online votes. Your phoned in votes count for the next day's show, and no calls are accepted on the weekends. 

You can only call in thirty minutes prior to the show.  TRL starts at 5pm EST, so that means you can call from 4:30pm-5pm EST, and then adjust for your time zone.

You can vote online all day, but you can only call in 3 times a day per phone line. 

The phone number is 1-800-DIAL-MTV (1-800-342-5688)
Call 30 minutes prior to the show starting!

To vote online, go to TRL VOTE.
Vote online all day!

I think it's very important for Clay's video to get lots of airplay.  It's a desirable demographic.  Since MTV hardly ever shows videos anymore, outside of TRL, it's our best chance of seeing it, and it's our best opportunity to help Clay.

Go to ABSOLUTE TRL for daily recaps!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 08:51:11 PM »   

'Biography' looks back at 2003
A&E SHOW TO PROFILE YEAR'S TOP 10 NEWSMAKERS, BIGGEST STORIES
By Jean Prescott
Knight Ridder

Who among us hasn't thought for months that the country might be going to hell in a handbasket? No need to look for confirmation any farther than the A&E network's 10 finalists for ``Biography of the Year,'' 10 newsmakers whose high profiles captured our attention and imagination in 2003.

Reality TV ``stars,'' a murder victim, a rape suspect, a shameless self-promoter. And then there's the not-so-shocking-by-comparison new governor of the state of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Pinch me -- I must be dreaming.

It's real enough, though, realer than ``American Idol,'' the TV talent contest that introduced America to Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard, baby-faced tenor and soulful R&B singer respectively, finalists on the much-hyped Fox network ``reality series.'' Studdard won amid cries of foul and conspiracy accusations. This pair incredibly made the cut at A&E.

MERCURY NEWS LINK

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 11

gfxgfx
gfx