gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229511 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 05:31:38 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Joseph & Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat 2013  |  Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat RECAPS, PICTURES
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat RECAPS, PICTURES  (Read 63507 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat RECAPS, PICTURES
« Reply #240 on: August 26, 2013, 10:39:52 PM »
Nicholas Ward
Last Joseph is in 10 minutes. I can honestly say from the bottom of my heart. This has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. To my cast and crew. I love you all. Lets make some magic people!
ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #241 on: August 26, 2013, 10:40:21 PM »
Ken Arpino ?@KenArpino 5s

Off 2 begin the next adventure! Stay tuned for my adventures with the national tour of Mamma Mia! #tourlife #wherearemybrothers

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #242 on: August 26, 2013, 10:40:52 PM »
Colby Kingston ?@cskingston 7h
Last performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat!! So much love to this amazing cast! @OgunquitPH

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #243 on: August 26, 2013, 10:41:58 PM »
jasr9203
Aug 25 2013, 10:08 PM

This is a quick recap. lots of disjointed thoughts- it was just amazing.

His performance of CED was Tony worthy. Superb, had tears running down my face. Also had them during Any Dream Will Do. Keala was very emotional and when she started to lose it during the last Any Dream Will Do , so did I. She grasped both his hands and was visibly emotional, fighting back tears. He seemed to be a bit emotional too, although we know he fights it. As he left the stage he did the salute for us. It was largely a not just us crowd- and they gave him a standing O after CED, and deservedly so.

I am so glad we made the trip. To see him appreciated by the NJU, and his peers was so heart warming. And to see that kind of admiration- well its about damn time. That story is truly a reflection of his own life. Except sadly his own fathers didn't value him. But he has found lots of people who do. And when Keala crowned him today, well it felt like he finally got what he was robbed of ten years ago Such a talented man and it made me happy to see it really acknowledged with such enthusiasm by the audience and his peers.

That man will win a Tony one of these years I just feel it. 

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #244 on: August 26, 2013, 10:46:25 PM »
emerson
Long drive home....but, so worth the trip. I wouldn't have missed it for anything in the world. Went with my BIL and two SIL's....who were blown away by both the play and Clay.

My BIL was not expecting anything special...initially a tag-a-long. Wow...was his mind changed!!!!! He thought Clay was amazing!!! One SIL saw in the program about Clay's book....she is buying it. I told her to buy the audio...it is so much fun to listen to Clay tell his story. The other SIL could have moved to a better seat, but, she decided at intermission to stay near the left exit seat she had...so, she could get Clay's autograph. At the end of the play, I literally saw her running out the exit door to get to stage door  ...I didn't even know she liked Clay....but, she does NOW. They wanted to find his fan club  oh no....they will be confused by the lack of activity at the official fan club. Both SIL's...."he is soooo cute".

I saw the play twice at the beginning and twice at the end. It was very interesting to watch the evolution of Clay as Joseph. By tonight, he had totally mastered the role beyond anything anyone else in the history of Josephs will ever match.....BOTW/Solitaire (sorry Constantine, etc. etc.). I honestly believe he reads the boards and saw artquest's comments on movement. I thought there was a difference in this last show (as I was looking at his movement and expressions more than the previous three shows). As jasr mentioned, I, too, noticed Keala getting very emotional and grabbing on to Clay's hand with both of her hands. She was also emotional when the brothers finished their song. I was  all night.....very emotional final show. ETA: my SIL commented on something similar to what jasr mentioned....that some of the story was similar to Clay's own story.

There just aren't enough adjectives to describe this play....and Clay's role in it. While my one SIL was waiting to get Clay's autograph...I stood back and waited to compliment the other actors and get their autographs. This is where adjectives come into play....you were awesome, fabulous, amazing, I told each actor. Then the next actor came along and I said that he was fantastic. Finally another actor came along.....and with tons of excitement and a big smile on my face...I said "you were awful".  WHAT?!?!?? I meant to say awesome. Was it sleep deprivation? all the driving? stage door anxiety? a senior moment?    My SIL started laughing. I was horrified...but, started laughing a nervous laughter and quickly said "I meant awesome". Seriously, who tells an actor....on the final night of the play's run....that they were awful  ? My SIL tried to make me feel better by saying that she didn't think he heard me. God...I sure hope he didn't. It all happened so quickly.

Anyway....stopped for a quick lobstah fix before leaving Maine. Saw the tweet from Matthew (the one who had been so sweet singing to the girl with Downs Syndrome on Wed afternoon) about inclusion.... ....and then I saw the tweet from Clay    . He loves us!! I almost squealed like a teenage girl... right in there in the restaurant. I felt like I did after I saw his very first concert.....super fangirly. All I can say is that something really BIG is on the horizon for Clay Aiken.....and I will be here.....always and forever.

WOW....My SIL posted on her FB "Having fun being a Claymate seeing Clay Aiken in Joseph and The Technicolor DreamCoat...at Ogunquit Playhouse". Then she posted a huge picture of her autographed playbill on FB and said "Amazing Performance". Her FB friends are all saying they love that play...and they love Clay Aiken!!! These are not fans I know about!!! NJU are starting to come "out of the closet" (I feel momentum building).....and this past month, I have had the time of my life. THANK YOU CLAY AIKEN!!!   

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #245 on: August 26, 2013, 10:47:44 PM »
Brightstar
Aug 25 2013, 11:18 PM

What a great weekend! So much fun with friends in an absolutely gorgeous area and 3 amazing shows. Each day's show was better than the last, and tonight's was spectacular-- the humor was a little funnier, the sad parts even more poignant, the rousing songs even more lively and OTT, and the love and emotion among the cast palpable and brimming over. Keala appeared emotional from the first song, but she was able to rein it in and carry on. However, during the scene where Jacob and Joseph reunite, she couldn't hold back the tears. She discreetly wiped the corner of one eye and then the other, looked at the children, and slightly shook her head as if to remind them to stay in professional mode and not cry (which they tried valiantly to do, singing with sad attempts at smiles and quivering chins). Many of the brothers were trying to hold back tears as well. How could we in the audience possibly hold it together?

And I was really proud of the audience. As a group we gave the cast overwhelming love and appreciation. They won't soon forget this night.

It was a magical end to a magical month. I'm so happy for Clay and each of the actors to have had what seems to have been a wonderful, inspiring, loving, growing experience together. I'm sure Clay had a blast with his "brothers", sharing, teaching, mentoring, and just hanging out and having fun together. I hope, and I believe, there were lasting friendships made. Clay has the rare ability to bring love and build a family in every project he joins. I feel lucky to just be an onlooker.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #246 on: August 26, 2013, 10:49:53 PM »
dksfriend
Aug 25 2013, 11:33 PM

Just a quick recap now - more tomorrow when I'm (hopefully) feeling less emotional. Someone else already said this, but I feel like today was one of my favorite Clay fan moments ever. That theater was positively bursting with love and affection, among the audience members (plenty of whom were "not us") and especially among the cast members on stage. Every song had a little something "extra" tonight as the whole cast went all out. And the audience responded with overwhelming appreciation - truly an amazing afternoon of theater. Keala was clearly still struggling with a cold/allergies, which especially affected her upper range. But she kept plowing through and at the end I think she just threw all caution to the wind and went for it. She was in tears during the Joseph/Jacob reunion scene at the end (as was the non-Clay fan lady sitting next to me), and when she and Clay were singing they were just beaming at each other - at one point it looked like she mouthed "thank you" to him. I also just remembered that she took a picture (while on stage) early in the first act, at the end of "Jacob and Sons" - I hope she'll tweet it.

The stage door was amazing too, mostly because of all the attention being lavished on the other cast members. They all seemed so thrilled and excited to sign autographs and thank people for coming. Three of the "brothers" even took a picture of themselves with the stage door crowd behind them. I was very close to Clay when he came out of the stage door - all I could do was stare at his gorgeous eyes and blindly stick a program out (not mine) for a signature. When Clay was done signing, many people still hung around the stage door area - I think none of us wanted it to be over. It was nice to finally meet the lovely canuck in person, and to thank her for her constantly positive presence here on the board.

When I got home and read Clay's tweet, thanking us for once again exceeding his expectations (paraphrased), I burst into tears. I'm so thrilled that I got to attend three shows, but so sad it's over. (Rumor has it that those who weren't able to attend will be happy, eventually.)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #247 on: August 26, 2013, 10:58:44 PM »
@MatthewRagas: Damn almost to 400
Followers!!! Thanks claymates!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #248 on: August 26, 2013, 10:59:26 PM »
apuette
13 hours ago
Dressing room 4 nailed it. Love you boys!! @caseygarvin @manchair5

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #249 on: August 26, 2013, 11:00:19 PM »
@KenArpino: 1st day of Mamma Mia school. Hoping Joseph fam gets home safe today #checkthattourschedule #summerisover

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #250 on: August 26, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »
Keala Settle ?@kealasettle 54s

Holy cow. What a summer camp. @TheClamShack @OgunquitPH @CovenantHouse @clayaiken .... ...i need reality to come back tomorrow afternoon...

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
unknown author posted on facebook:

SPECIAL MOMENT IN TIME.

It all started with a tweet "News of how I'm planning to escape this Southern summer heat.... Coming your way shortly.Thus began a new adventure with Clay. ., Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
There was a such. a flurry from fans to find out .what Clay meant and it didn't take long for us to ferret out he was going to Maine.

Then the Ogunquit Playhouse made the announcement that Clay was going to star in their production og Joseph..
Fans immediately started buying tickets and making plane and hotel reservations but in truth we had no idea of how amazing this new adventure would turn out to be.

The first show was July 31st and the pics and recaps and the stage door was incredible. The reviews were terrific and gave Clay kudos for his portrayal of Joseph and of course that one of a kind voice. The crowds were filling up the playhouse the town fell in love with him, Everywhere we went , restaurants and quaint little shops were all talking about how great he was and how thrilled they were.he was there and pictures and poster's were everywhere.

But there was so much more...

Clay shared with us some remarkable pictures, not only with some town,s people but also the cast member's..Ken and Kory and Alex and Matthew, we followed them and Clay in turn followed us...who woulda thought that and then they began to tweet and .
post their pictures of their down time and sharing wonderful moments with us. All thanks to Clay and his opening up that door.

Over too soon..yes but never have I experienced such a warm feeling..it was as if Clay and gang gave us the gigantic warm hug and in all this time I believe with my heart that no matter where Clay goes next, whatever he has in store for us, this will always seem the most special to me.

It started with a tweet by Clay and ended with another one from him,,,

" I always think I know you folks well... and then you always find a way to take it to another level and amaze me again! I love you all."

There really are no adequate words to describe how very special Clay Aiken is but I do believe that the world is soon going to find out.

THANK YOU CLAY for sharing this adventure with us..for making it happen and for loving us back. You are the amazing one always and forever

Warm hugs back to you from all of us.and for sharing this special moment in time.
The future lies ahead and what a future it's going to be/

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #252 on: August 27, 2013, 07:08:46 AM »
dksfriend
Aug 26 2013, 08:47 PM 

Random tidbits from the final Joseph show yesterday:

- During the opening "Any Dream Will Do", Clay knelt a few times to look more closely into the faces of the kids. He didn't do that last weekend, so I hoped this meant that his back/hip/knee/ankle/whatever was feeling better as of yesterday!

- All of the songs were extra boisterous last night - the brothers especially were practically bouncing off the stage during every number.

- Yesterday I was back in Row S (I was in Row A for my first two shows) and what do you know, I noticed that this show actually had sets/scenery! Somehow, during the Pharaoh's Song (from my Row A seats) I never looked up higher than the Pharaoh's abs or Clay's face, so I never noticed the Sphinx in the background! It was actually nice to see the whole stage. I also really liked being able to see so much of the audience - the standing ovation for Clay (after CED) was quite impressive.

- During the Act I finale, Clay did some vocal change-ups (during the "ahead of my time" bits) that sounded great. I only wish that Keala had been in better voice last night so they could have done more of those vocal gymnastics together. And yes, the big roar you hear (on the cellcert audio) is when Clay did some extra (and very cute) dancing during this number.

- During the Pharaoh's Song, instead of just tossing his hanky to someone in the front row, he walked down off the stage and took the hanky to someone sitting several rows back. He said something like "this is going to a special recipient tonight". Does anyone know who he gave it to? (He did later toss another hanky to someone else in front.) Clay did some exaggerated reactions to that whole bit. In fact, I felt like he and Matt/the Pharaoh had a lot more interactions during that song than when I saw it the previous weekend. When Clay sings the third "who this man might be I just don't know", he leaned real close and sort of shouted it in Matt's ear!

- The "new" Jacob was fine, but not (in my opinion) as good as the original Jacob (Bill Nolte) - Bill had such a deep, rich bass voice and an almost "regal" presence that the new guy lacked.

- During the Joseph/Jacob reunion scene, everyone on stage was looking very emotional. All the brothers were hugging each other, which I don't remember happening before (although from my Row A seat, I probably just had my eyes locked on Clay....)

- During the remix, Judah (calypso song man) shouted out "We love you Ogunquit"!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #253 on: August 27, 2013, 07:10:07 AM »
2old4Clay
Aug 26 2013, 08:49 PM

All the shows I saw from 8/21 to the finale he never got to his feet until the baker and butler came out. He stayed down leaning on his hands. Yesterday I thought he stayed at the lowest level then what I had seen previously, it was quite dramatic. He finished with his head hung down quite low with his body trembling with sobs. He stayed that way during the standing O he deservedly received. It took my breath away. I hope we have the video of the final CED. 

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #254 on: August 27, 2013, 10:16:37 PM »
SueReu
aug 27 2013, 02:12 AM 

This was absolutely, without a doubt, the best Clay trip I have ever experienced - a trip full of firsts, from my first time in New England, to my first time eating Lobster #blech, to my first time seeing Joseph, to the first time I've had actual celebrity sightings. Fabulous food (except said Lobster), wonderful friends and the bestest singerman on the planet - what more could anyone want?

We got to Ogunquit on Thursday, but didn't see Joseph until Friday evening. We spent the day in Kennebunkport, home of our first celebrity sighting. We saw Laura Bush taking a walk with Jenna & baby (and a couple of secret service guys). That was pretty wonderful seeing them taking a stroll and enjoying a beautiful day. Friday night was my first time seeing Joseph - at all, ever. We were in Row T and unfortunately couldn't seem very much (too many big heads, including mine. I'm tall and I always scrunch down - unfortunately, others don't.......). The sound was a little off - it was difficult to hear the solo singers where we were sitting, but the ensemble songs came through loud and clear. I'm really glad I went so that I could get a feel for the play itself before I sat much much much closer for the next two (more on the play itself later).

Saturday was spent walking Marginal Way and then a search for coffee. We ended up at Caffe Prego for coffee AND gelato. While finishing up our chat, coffee & calories - we spot a group of extremely talented singers & dancers, especially the tall one with the green hat...... (EDITORIAL COMMENT: Ken, it's not #icecream - it's #gelato). We then went to dinner at The Roost, which was absolutely wonderful. I wandered out into the parking lot to indulge in my single vice and who do I spy standing in the parking lot? Why the #babybrother of the aforementioned talented group of singers & dancers, waiting for a ride. Who should pull up to pick him up? Why the tall one, with the green hat. Cute moment, when Kory got into the car, he also put on a green hat - I have christened them The Bobbsey Twins. In case people don't get my code, the green hatted one would have been Clay......

I'll spare you the rest of the trip - Salem & Boston Massachusetts were two more stops along the way and I loved every second of this trip.

On to the play......

I'll just post about them all:

Kelea: I thought she was wonderful! I'm not usually drawn to female singers, but I thoroughly enjoyed her voice and her personality on stage. I thought her bringing comedy to the role of the Narrator was fabulous. I guess she was having issues on Friday night, but I sure couldn't hear it (but then again, the sound was mixed a little loud for the orchestra, so the solo artists - mostly Cay and Kelea - were difficult to hear). She definitely engaged the audience and made them feel they were part of the entire journey.

The Kids: I felt the kids absolutely added to the overall effect of the play - the mixture of "old" and "new". They looked like they were having he time of their lives!

The Brothers: What can I say that hasn't already been said? They were all outstanding! Their voices blended perfectly and you could tell that they were an extremely close knit group. Their dancing was amazing! As an aside, we sat next to the dad & aunt of one of the brothers - for those who have seen the play, he was the solo dancer during Those Canaan Days. They were so incredibly proud of him! He has just been cast in his first role on Broadway - he will be in Bullets Over Broadway, I believe in 2014. All of them were incredible. They got a standing ovation after Those Canaan Days at the closing show - I wish I had photos of the their faces. They just soaked it all in - they gave so much, I'm thrilled that I was part of giving it back to them.

The Pharaoh: Matthew did an incredible job - so high energy, so into the Elvis Persona, and so easy on the eyes...... I'm not sure who she was, but at the last show he announced that there was someone special in the audience and he left the stage to hand his blue sweat rag to a lady in the audience, in about the 4th row (he walked right next to us - the man was truly GUSHING sweat LOL!!!). I don't think she could have been any more embarrassed - it was great! I didn't notice that ALL of the people on stage had on blue shoes - that was a really nice touch. He also did a great job dragging Clay around the stage as a hairy ishmaelite (and drinking red bull).

The Rest: Every person on that stage was so talented and they all looked like they were having the time of their lives. Their joy was infectious and just rolled out over the audience and pulled us all into the story and the fun.

The Best: Clay did a stunning job as Joseph. He has a voice like no other person on this planet - it fills the theatre. CED during the last show was unbelievable and other worldly - a well deserved standing ovation. He put his ALL into that song. I also want to make a comment about his lack of movement. I noticed during the second show that I attended that he had on a back brace. Not just a lower back brace, but a brace that went up to the small of his back. I would imagine that it would impair his range of motion. It also looked like he did not have it on during the final show - which may explain why he knelt down and got eye to eye with the kids during the Any Dream Will Do (which was so incredibly sweet) and that he threw in a few more dance moves during Go Go Go Joseph. ADDING - I loved it when the brothers turned him in his coat! The show on Saturday night was particularly funny - Clay did a great job twisting his body around. His facial expressions and his body language were spot on - whether he was being sweet & naive Joseph, slave Joseph, imprisoned Joseph or Pharoah's #2. He played each stage of his journey incredibly well. The role of Joseph is understated, while insanity swirls around him. He just doesn't have the same types of songs that the Brothers or the Pharaoh do - but I felt that he was most definitely the star and the character who held the entire show together (along wit the narrator).

I want to add that, while I loved the entire cast - especially that Clay Aiken guy - the play itself was just meh for me. Some fun and catchy songs, but I felt that overall the play is somewhat disjointed. I doubt I will ever go see it again - as a matter of fact, I'm sure that I won't. I've seen it played to perfection three times now, I can pretty much guarantee that all else will pale in comparison (sorry Ace & Diana).

I'm tired. This probably doesn't make any sense whatsoever - so I apologize now!

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Joseph & Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat 2013  |  Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat RECAPS, PICTURES

gfxgfx
gfx