gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229519 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 12:56:15 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  JNT 2012  |  11/29/12-DURHAM, NC-NC DURHAM PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 11/29/12-DURHAM, NC-NC DURHAM PERFORMING ARTS CENTER  (Read 25655 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 11/29/12-DURHAM, NC-NC DURHAM PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2012, 09:08:20 PM »

TERTER4AIKEN AT CV

Anyway, I was hanging around at one of the tables having an adult beverage and a couple came up and asked to join me. We started chatting about Clay and everything he'd done since Idol. Turns out it was a mother and son and the concert was a gift to her for Christmas. They had never seen Clay before! Oh boy did I give them an earful about what a great time they were going to have etc. She said "Wait, I thought you said you hadn't seen this show?"  I told her I had lost count of the number of shows I had been to and she'd just have to trust me. The son mentioned TCA and said Clay got so robbed. He didn't seem to be that into the concert at all. I bumped into them afterwards and needless to say Clay has two more fans for life! They were overjoyed about the concert and Clay's banter. 

I can't really say anything about the concert that has already has been said, but I loved every second. This year has been quite a challenge for my family. Brain surgery for my dad for Parkinson's, a second surgery for the electrodes, complications and having both my parents sad and depressed because of lofty expectations. And the loss of my Aunt in August so suddenly has really hit all of us hard. Clay's show really uplifted my spirit and restored my soul. It reminded me to count my blessings and stick close to family. Spend as much time with loved ones as you can. You never know what tomorrow may bring.

I also loved the stories! I really love them all, but Faye's was my favorite.

I'm so glad I decided to go at the last minute. I've been VERY fortunate to have been to at least one show of every tour Clay has ever done. Thanks irishbookgal! You're pics were the final pro on my list of pros and cons to go. (not that there were really any cons)  Love you! 

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2012, 01:24:49 AM »
CLAYSSTO AT CV

My DPAC recap:

After fighting the traffic from Raleigh over to Durham, eating a great supper at Tobacco Road, we made out way into the theater -- and found our seats. I couldn't believe our location -- can't remember ever having seats like these before. Row A, center orchestra, center of the row. Clay's mic was maybe about 10 ft. in front of me!

Lynda L. gave him a really sweet intro about interviewing him & hearing him sing way back in 2003 & then having her producer listen just to Clay's voice. Even then, he was so special.

Clay came out to his mic, went back, stood there waiting and looking at the ceiling and curtain, and left again -- meanwhile we were all singing Happy Birthday to him and he wasn't even on the stage! oops. ;-) He came back out bringing a tape recorder, inserted a cassette, and proceeded with his schtick. So funny and cute.

Then he unleashed All Is Well from low voice to that last powerful note -- the best I've heard him sing, I think. He was spot on, with all those far reaching notes, and those soft nuances I love. He truly seemed to have a great time -- teasing, laughing, kidding, introducing Quiana and teasing her too. He's just the best in my book when he's "on" with his audiences --snarking on them -- and generally poking fun.

The acoustics in the theater were great -- I'm sure the roof lifted a bit a time or two. When he sang the last part of the First Noel and the brass section all stood up while accompanying him -- wow! I loved the orchestra -- very professional and noticed the violin ladies seem to really enjoy Clay -- smiling and laughing.

I thought the stories went well as lead-ins into the songs he chose to sing. The 1st one didn't seem long to me -- and although it was sad, it's about real life and it did end with hope. Sitting in the dark & watching Ben play his piano in the soft light sort of accented everything to me. Second story was shorter and I thought it, too, went well with the following songs --as did Faye's story which I really liked since it brought back memories of stories from my Mother -- especially the part about placing Angel Hair around the Christmas lights.

Loved his "Don't Save It All For Christmas Day" as always -- he seems to really get a kick out of singing it, too. Encore brought him back out but way over to the right from where we were sitting -- maybe on the steps -- then when he moved out into the aisle, the spotlight went off and he finished the song in the dark. I don't think that was exactly planned. He sounded so good on All Year Long. And the show was over. *sigh*

As we were leaving, I started talking with a couple that were sitting next to me. They told me they used to see Clay(ton) at the Johnson Community Center and always knew then that he would one day be going places with his voice. They go to see him every chance they get. They live in Durham and hope he soon returns for another show -- they will be there they said.

Clay was amazing, so handsome, at ease, happy, and just wonderful. I only wish I could bottle the whole evening with Clay and my good friends as we sat and enjoyed every minute of the concert. Thank goodness for the beautiful clack we have to enjoy.

Only one Christmas concert for me this year -- but the DPAC was just beyond anything that I thought it would be. I'm lost for words to describe Clay and his voice that night……

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2012, 01:26:28 AM »
Scarlett clip from Durham.

"Welcome To Our World."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTu6xxwrNng...eature=youtu.be

Links can travel.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2012, 01:39:44 AM »

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2012, 01:40:51 AM »

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2012, 01:41:39 AM »

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2012, 01:42:39 AM »

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2012, 01:44:01 AM »

mimi

• Enthusiastic
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »
Lordy! Lordy!  LORDY!
Forgive your enemies...it messes with their head.

Prissy

• Claymaniac
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Great pictures!

Thanks so much.  I wish he would come back to Texas!!!
To whom much has been given, much is required.  
God presents the opportunity;  we choose our response:  "Yes" or "No."
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.   
Be selective in your battles;  sometimes peace is better than being right.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
NCWANNABE FRO CV

Okay, not really a recap I guess, but just some personal recollections from the Durham performance:

First, an overview. It was perfection. Pure and utter flawlessness from beginning to end. His control of his voice was remarkable and he held me spellbound throughout the entire show. Witty and engaging and snarky with a devilish twinkle in his eyes at one moment, sensual and commanding and alluring with a totally different look in his eyes the next. He is ever fascinating, transitioning from one persona to the next in a mere moment in time. And all those facets converge to create the phenomenal enigma that is Clay Aiken.

When he sang the first note, that lower range "All" in All is Well, I heard the young woman sitting next to me (who I did not know) literally gasp. I could tell it was an involuntary, guttural reaction to the power and beauty of that very first note. As the song progressed, it simply filled the venue and enveloped us in its warm caress. I believe it is the best version of the song I've ever heard him sing live. Exquisite.

Another memory I have is during the Away in a Manger medley. We all know that Clay can belt out a tune and I think it's safe to assume the general public knows that about Clay. But his command of the soft, tender notes during these songs was sheer mastery. So poignant and emotional one could literally and palpably feel the song. And there was a moment when I realized that the theatre was entirely silent, hanging on his every note and nuance. Oftentimes one hears the murmurs or rustlings or coughs of audience members through the quiet times of a song. But for these few precious moments it was literally like the entire audience wasn't there and it was just Clay singing for the baby Jesus in reverence and awe. I was deeply moved.

The young girl he brought up on stage for the lyrics challenge was sitting slightly in front of me. Throughout the evening it was evident she was thrilled to be there and she was so excited. She was literally bouncing in her chair at times and was giving Clay standing ovations on each song. And it was clear that it wasn't contrived or to get attention (or so it seemed to me), she appeared to be genuinely enthralled. So when he chose her to go on stage to sing, I was hoping it was because he had seen her being so excited and supportive. She was exuding joy.

The exchange between Clay and Quiana was priceless. The closeness between the two is so apparent and it gives me a wonderfully warm feeling to know that they have a friendship and a bond that is so strong. She sounded wonderful and the audience loved her. She was her usually sassy self - and I think having her in his life is a true gift for Clay. (and vice-versa, of course!)

I sometimes think his hands are just as mesmerizing as his face. I've never seen more expressive hands. His fingers caress, and meet and intertwine, his fists clench with the power of the words he is singing, then float apart on the waves of the notes. They reach to the heavens as he closes his eyes and looks skyward, only to then slowly relax, close-fisted upon his chest as the notes soften again. He sings with every part of his body - with every fiber of his being.

If his heartfelt introduction to Don't Save it All is the beginning of his sincere thank you to his fans for our love and support, then his encore song of All Year Long is a beatiful ending to his tribute. He sings it to us - all of us. He sings it softly, almost compelling us to lean forward and truly listen to the words. It is a loving Christmas wish from him to us. And then he is gone, leaving us wistfully behind and wanting more, but basking in the glow of his love and appreciation for us. Thank You, Clay.

He was, he is and he will forever be a man who fills my soul.

Tiffany

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2012, 04:02:39 PM »
Barb-Your turn to see your Meet and Greet pic.  ;) Or you can just PM me.

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  JNT 2012  |  11/29/12-DURHAM, NC-NC DURHAM PERFORMING ARTS CENTER

gfxgfx
gfx