gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229519 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 01:49:06 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  JNT 2012  |  12/8/2012 SHIPPENSBERG,PA- LUHRS CENTER @ SHIPPENSBERG UNIVERSITY
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 12/8/2012 SHIPPENSBERG,PA- LUHRS CENTER @ SHIPPENSBERG UNIVERSITY  (Read 22559 times)

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
Re: 12/8/2012 SHIPPENSBERG,PA- LUHRS CENTER @ SHIPPENSBERG UNIVERSITY
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2012, 03:25:13 PM »
siclayfan @CV
Do you really think I can remember what happened?? I should get DD to write about it, she remembers better. I was back in the 11th row on the side and Clay was saying how something unusual happened tonight and I think he asked if anyone knew what it was. Noone in the front was responding so I yelled out something like "you didn't mess anything up" (meaning the lyrics). I really didn't think he'd hear me that far back but as he said later the theater had great acoustics. He kind of zeroed in to where the voice was coming from and said "say it again!!" He started walking way over to the left of the stage and came forward on an extension that was there on the side. At that point I think I started shaking. Either he or my DD told me to wave and then stand up. I think that's when he asked my name and where I was from. I said Wilma and I was from Maryland but originally from New York (because I always say that ) He then said something about not wanting a resume---the brat!!  He asked me to explain what I meant and I told him that he sometimes changes the lyrcs to hs songs. I know he mentoned my name again once he got back to the center of the stage but don't remember why. My DD was convinced I would have been called upon to go up on stage to sing if it weren't for Sarah--all I can say is thank God for that girl. This was the only concert for DD and she got a kick out of the exchange. On the way home she said "After ten years and all the money you've spent on him, it's about time he spoke to you!!"

Just wanted to add that there seemed to be mostly locals at the show and I think this was one of the most enthusiastic audiences I've heard. The applause was loud and prolonged.

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2012, 03:26:09 PM »
CLAYTHLEENA @CV

Sorry for being such a posthog tonight, but I gathered the cellcert didn't work so well, so I'm trying to share some of my experiences as I think of them.

A lot of you know about my unfortunate Ebay auction fiasco. I told you what the director at Ship offered to do, and what we accepted. What I didn't tell you, because I wanted to see if it actually happened, was that DH and I were offered a 2nd M&G with the Ship VIPs. I asked if I could bring our DS#1 (the one who has autism) along to meet Clay. The director told me that as long as he had a ticket for the show, he could come too! This little opportunity was what made the seat problem worthwhile to me, as DS loves Clay and that he helps disabled people like him, but he had never met Clay. Now understand, at the 2nd M&G there was a room full of people! We all were to tell Clay our names and get our photos taken with Clay in about a 10 minute period before the show started! Luckily, we were about the last ones to get ours taken, so DS had a quick chance to thank Clay for helping disabled people, and he told him he has autism. Clay was so sweet, and took an extra minute with Tommy. He told DS he is a "friendly guy." I loved it because the schedule was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tight, but Clay still made our son feel very special!  (Something that RARELY happens.)

The other thing that happened, that I totally did not expect, was that immediately after the show, Faye and another lady from the Foundation swooped upon us and thanked us for our donation. They also apologized for the seating snafu (I was AMAZED they knew about it!), and Faye said someone had sent her an e-mail about it. DS also then got to meet Faye - although he had met her once before.

NJU: We gave 2 of our original tickets to DH's sister and her DH after we won the auction seats, and they sat with DS. They had only ever really seen Clay once in Spamalot (with us, of course!). They loved the show tonight, and thought Clay was fabulous. Thought he was a great singer and very funny. They hugged us and thanked us several times, and I think they really meant it. My BIL even mentioned Clay's sparkly eyes.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »
(claythleena @ CV

(Desertrose @ Dec 9 2012, 01:06 AM)

Did you like the seats that you ended up with? Were they good seats?

Sitting in the front was WONDERFUL!  The seats themselves had arms and were probably as comfortable as any others. A few times I thought how great it would be to sit dead center, but Clay made eye-contact with me several times. I did not at all feel as though I was "on display," which was one of my original fears. If I was, I couldn't tell it.  I felt as if we received very special treatment tonight from both Clay's team and the venue, so I was happy. Thanks for asking, Desertrose.

While waiting for M&G #2, I heard some of the insiders say that the Doobie Brothers and the Vienna Boys choir shows had sold out very quickly, but that Clay's show was an add-on. I don't know how many walk-up seats they sold tonight, but I do know the venue had sold about 2/3 prior. The problem is this is not an inexpensive show for college kids who don't usually have much money. I heard a couple students saying they wished they were going. One of the older workers at the student union building said she wished she could have gone, but always has to work.

One other thing - I think having another very popular Christmas show on Wednesday night, which had been announced in the original line-up, did not help Clay's sales here.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2012, 03:31:04 PM »

(Desertrose @ Dec 9 2012, 12:21 AM)
Does anybody know if we will have clack?

deemer @ Dec 9 2012, 12:59 AM)

Should be --- I know canfly was filming from center 3rd row and Scarlett from right side 1st row. I got some from just right of center 2nd row (a few songs). We three started early and Clay pointed at us and was wondering why there were so few of us with cameras...I put mine down when he started calling attention to it and he said don't hide it or something like that. He said "what, is there some no camera rule?" and the crowd said YES, but he went on to say we never follow the rules before, he said he didn't mind if we took pictures of him and then lots of cameras came out. I had been shooting pics and putting it down after shooting often to hopefully avoid being seen by ushers but then after that openly followed him shooting pics and taking some vid.

His hair looked fine tonight (whew! I was worried considering the last few nights) although he had a little trouble keeping side from falling into his face -- but this gave us lots of hair tosses though! He ran his hand through his hair every so often. Very nice.

a NJU story - on leaving I asked an older couple how they liked the show = they said it was one of the best shows they've had there, they enjoyed it very much. I take it they go to Luhrs for concerts rather than follow Clay. They had big smiles and very much enjoyed the show.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2012, 03:33:05 PM »
(debk4142 @ Dec 9 2012, 08:06 AM)
Enjoyed Shippensburg so much, and met many here. I know regular posters will write or have written full recaps, but I am not so sure any of them were aware that Clay and group stayed at our hotel.
An employee told me this at breakfast, and she was disappointed not to have seen him. No wonder we were all on the 4th floor!!! He took no chances of our running into him in the halls!!!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »
joanie @ Dec 9 2012, 08:25 AM)
I thought I'd offer a little backstory of how Sara was called on to sing Silver Bells with Clay.

He told the audience his mom was there, and he asked her what she did the day before. Faye said she'd been to Lancaster. Clay had to do his schtick about pronouncing it the way locals do, which is Lank-aster. He asked Faye what she had done there; she said she went to Sight & Sound. There was some reaction to that from the audience.

Faye is still talking to Clay and says how wonderful this singer, Sara, was. I didn't catch her last name but it sounded something like "Pip." Clay then repeated Sara's name, and there was a loun scream from way up in the mezanine. Clay looked up and asked if she was Sara, and she replied she was her sister, who was there with Sara's husband. Turns out Sara had a seat much closer to the stage and of course Clay found her and brought her up for the SING the Christmas carol. She won the Macy's certificate and went back to her seat. (Sara sings at Sight & Sound, which is a Christian theatre in Lancaster County. Clay's grandmother had visited there many years ago with a bus trip.)

Then Faye says Clay should sing with Sara. So off he goes back to the left side and calls up back up on stage. He asks her what she sings on stage, she said Oh Holy Night, but knthat she knew all the Christmas songs. He asks her about Silver Bells, then asks Ben if her had an arrangement, that's what they decided on.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »
chasandpeg @ Dec 9 2012, 08:37 AM

Wow! Shippensburg was so wonderful last night. Clay sounded great and was as funny and gorgeous as always. He looked better than ever. His hair was brushed back, but after singing a couple of songs it started falling and he kept brushing his hands through it. Every time he went to change during the stories, he brushed it back again.
Went with DH and he loved the show. Said it was really good and Clay was very funny.
Two NJU were sitting right next to me. After the show they said they thought he was really great. Said they liked it a lot. She asked if I had been before.  She said she'd loved to see him again and was going to go get his Christmas CD.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Lauren Miscavage ?@atta_girl_laur
Awesome picture I took of @clayaiken and an audience member last night! pic.twitter.com/UpZfdifZ

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »
deemer @ Dec 9 2012, 12:55 PM
ooh I see cameocat and hosaa got some good shots with the Christmas trees behind Clay. They were very pretty and changed color throughout the show. I think we will get a great crop of Shippensburg pictures!

They certainly had the Christmas spirit in Shippensburg. Christmas trees, lights, and "presents" (they were speakers wrapped) on the stage. Even driving home, there were Christmas lights all the way down King St. Very festive. Nice venue! Great accoustics. Did anyone tell that Clay stopped and talked about the acoustics? He said it reminded him of the garage he and one of the other contestants practiced in during AI Hollywood week. He took the mic down and sang out into the room and you could hear very well. Wonderful acoustics.

He also had some jokes about how there were plaques in various locations showing the donors who helped sponsor this or that part of the theatre. Apparently his bathroom had one and he mentioned using the so-n-so memorial toilet a few times. Apparently Ben's bathroom had no such dedication. He told us there were sponsorship opportunities here!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2012, 04:10:45 AM »
Shippensburg Individual You Tube Links:

"Jazzy Medley."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvG289EUFg...Ov6&index=1

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2012, 04:29:38 AM »
CAGNEY1950@CV

So much fun at Shippensburg last night. Both of my boys went to Ship so I am familiar with the campus and the venue that is only a few years old. I was last there to take my mom to see the Ten Tenors-she and I love the group and saw them whenever possible. I knew that there were no bad seats in the house but that being said, the night before the show I clicked in to see how sales were going and noticed that two seats opened up in center row F. I couldn't help but upgrade. I sat with my concert buddy, vjm, almost directly behind Faye and her friends. I saw the young woman who would later participate in the lyrics challenge come up and hug Faye. Supersleuths vjm and I deduced that Faye knew her through beauty pageant connections (wrong!). She had that look-tall, leggy, impeccably made up. Learning later that she sings at Sight and Sound in Lancaster made perfect sense. My thinking is that Faye met her at the show and invited her to come to the show. I am thinking she picked up the lone ticket in that front left section and her hubby and sister came for good measure but had to get seats available at the last minute. I found her to be delightful with quite a good voice. I actually enjoyed hearing Clay try to harmonize with her-it was an interesting harmony-took SB to a different place and not totally unpleasant-at least to my ears.

Before the show started I spoke to a NJU couple who were big fans of Barry Manilow. They had never seen Clay in concert and wondered how he might compare to Manilow. The male of the couple said he thought Clay had a wonderful voice. My friend who was sitting next to them, reported to me that the man turned to his wife after All is Well and said "Wow!" He took his wife's hand when Clay told the crowd to turn to the one they were with in his prelude to "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve". My friend said that the couple really enjoyed the concert.quit

I thought that Clay was not reaching the notes quite as effortlessly as I had experienced in Atlantic City. After Christmas Waltz, Clay turned to Ben and said he wasn't sure what was going on with his voice and then to the audience said his voice was going through changes something he had been waiting for- reminded me a little of the unforgettable Mann schtick during the SRHP tour. He made a joke of it-and then after the first story when he came back, he said he thiink he coughed up a lump of coal. For the rest of the show, Clay seemed more vocally comfortable-perhaps not as stellar as some shows but just wonderful nonetheless.

There are many wonderful moments in the show but perhaps the most sublime to me is the religious medley in the beginning of the show. It is gospel infused and I love what he does with his voice-somewhat like what Good News-that kind of power. His introduction is hysterical and reminds me of Brother Maynard from Spamalot- something like "Now open the hymnal to pages xxx and we will sing..."

He would often depart from the reverent mood at the beginning of the religious songs because he could not help interject the funny. But he would then in go through a centering activity to get back to the appropriate mood. Standing straight and in an exaggerated motion, sweep his hand (palm facing his body) from his head down. Very funny.

Clay was so quick throughout. And really is wonderful at physical comedy. His mime portrayal of the women in the first row at Atlantic who were trying tell him that his fly was not quite secured was one of the funniest things I have ever seen Clay do. And he has done alot of funny things. At Shippensburg when he asked the audience what is special to them about the holidays, some one called out "You Clay" and he did this aw schucks look and tnen a quick head flip kicking his one leg back-hard to describe but must be seen.

As I watched Clay be the total performer I thought - are his comedic elements as much a part of his perforances as his vocal prowess? I think the latter is what first draws people and for the nju, the former will keep them coming back. He really is very, very good at both and I have never heard him better than on this tour.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2012, 04:30:34 AM »
Scarlett Shippensburg You Tube links cont'd.

"Remember The Lyrics."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLRWUkC4MwU

"Silver Bells," Banter & Duet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXUjbDKIucg

All Scarlett links can travel.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2012, 04:47:34 AM »
Scarlett Shippensburg You Tube links cont'd.

"The First Noel."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=MWsJuk-RN9c

"What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" Banter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2zxuFVHtes

All Scarlett links can travel.

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2012, 04:56:58 AM »
CINDILU2@CV

Back from another whirlwind round trip (1600 kms in two days this time) and oh my, it was worth every kilometer a million times over. The man is simply amazing in every way. Funny, witty, gorgeous (inside and out, head to toe) and you know what? The man can frell SING. Guh. Honestly, if you're not just blown away by the sheer vocal prowess this man possesses, you're just not paying attention.

I haven't read a word so I'm sure this was already talked about, but after the first couple songs were over and he realized there were only two cameras visible to him, he gave a little wtf? spiel and then stage-whispered his permission to snap away. All you could hear was the sound of camera bags being ripped open. LOL!!!! The usher who sat us made a point of telling every single person she brought in, in no uncertain terms, that there was no photography or recording of any kind allowed, per CONTRACT of the performer. I so wanted to ask her afterward how that worked out for her. Heheheh. Anyway... I took a ton of pics but only a few are worthy of posting. Most are his typical gorgeous, intense singing face, but my favorites are the funny faces he makes. So expressive!

Marilyn

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
  • THE EPITOME OF DECORUM
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2012, 05:08:16 AM »
Scarlett You Tube link for Shippensburg:

"What Are You Doing New Year's Eve."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTWYM-L4wpE...eature=youtu.be

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  JNT 2012  |  12/8/2012 SHIPPENSBERG,PA- LUHRS CENTER @ SHIPPENSBERG UNIVERSITY

gfxgfx
gfx