gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
229524 Posts in 2574 Topics by 108 Members - Latest Member: CTLovesClay March 28, 2024, 06:57:58 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK NOVEMBER 5
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK NOVEMBER 5  (Read 2281 times)

fhmmany2

• ANN News Team
  • Claymaniac
2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK NOVEMBER 5
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:17:04 AM »
Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK NOVEMBER 5  (Read 1394 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

AIKEN NEWS NETWORK NOVEMBER 5
« on: November 05, 2003, 09:36:30 AM »   
Who would have thought in 1981 that the influence of soft-rock kings Chicago would still be felt in 2003? In interviews, twenty-four-year-old Clay Aiken cites Chicago singer Peter Cetera as a vocal idol, and the painstakingly measured ballads collected on his debut, Measure of a Man, make that clear. For everything wrong with Aiken -- his unremarkable phrasing and delivery, his old-man self-importance in a young man's body -- he's adept at this school of middle-of-the-road bombast. He gets perhaps a bit too wistful on "Shine," which borrows liberally from the Chicago standard "Hard to Say I'm Sorry," but when one's whole career is a homage, it's hard to know when the line has been crossed.
JON CARAMANICA

ROLLING STONE

Actually, MoaM is currently the higest reader rated album right now, and Clay is listed as the Hottest Artist.  Hee!

READER RATINGS

I love irony!

Report to moderator    Logged

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 09:48:44 AM »   

CHECK IT OUT and bookmark it for future reference!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 10:59:46 AM »   

Here are the 'official' final numbers for CD sales last week, which include Hits Daily Double and Soundscan reports.

1 OUTKAST|SPEAKERBOXX-LOVE 141698
2 STEWART*ROD|VOL.II-GREAT AMERI 141160
3 AIKEN*CLAY|MEASURE OF A MAN 140957
4 STROKES|ROOM ON FIRE 126138
5 LUDACRIS|CHICKEN & BEER 102463
6 LEVERT*GERALD|STROKE OF GENIUS 97392
7 EAGLES|VERY BEST OF THE EAGLES 77739
8 R.E.M.|IN TIME: BEST OF SPECIA 75560
9 DIDO|LIFE FOR RENT 68361
10 3 DOORS DOWN|AWAY FROM THE SUN 62299

And now the good news!

He is in third by only 741 copies. 
*ponders...less than .05%...deja vu...*

979,000 copies sold, 21,000 copies to a million.

Next week - PLATINUM SALES!  CONGRATULATIONS CLAY!

cjrmax
Guest       AIKEN NEWS NETWORK NOVEMBER 5
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 11:02:16 AM »   

"painstakingly measured ballads"????

"unremarkable phrasing and delivery"????

"whole career a homage"????

Was this guy listening to the same album as I was?  Yes, I can see LITTLE Chicago influence - especially on Shine, but not that much, and certainly not throughout the entire album!  I always thought 2 of the strongest  things about Clay's singing were his phrasing and delivery!  And there are nottoo many songs on this album I would consider "painstakingly measured ballads"!  And what is this "old man self importance" mean?  Clay is so humble the words "self importance" would never come to mind when describing about him.  I guess the "old man" part has to do with his "old fashion" values! And the "whole career a homage" thing really cracks me up.  I guess they mean his stint on AI because as of now, with the exception of this album, that is his whole "career"!

I read some of these reviews and wonder what the critics were listening to! Oh well, I guess it could have been worse!

FAITH
Guest       Billboard article today on Clay's Sales
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 11:11:06 AM »   

Pamela, you were right about HDD figures vs.
Billboard.

Last week's chart topper, "Measure of a Man" from second-season "American Idol" runner-up Clay Aiken, drifts to No. 3 on a 37% sales dip to 141,000 copes. The RCA set has sold 979,000 copies in just three weeks.

Platinum (sales) are just around the corner!!!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 11:49:06 AM »   

It's all good.  I can't believe how close the top 3 are!  Clay and his fans have made a very powerful statement to the music industry.  There is room for all kinds of music, including pop!

That is a very diverse looking Top 10, isn't it?  Rod and The Eagles...shades of the 70s...REM...remember the 80s?...wasn't Gerald Levert in a group from the 80s as well?  Old and new rock and roll, R&B, hip hop, classics, and pop.  On one chart. 

I like this chart!

(Faith, I added the link to Billboard in your post.)

FAITH
Guest       AIKEN NEWS NETWORK NOVEMBER 5
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 12:17:35 PM »   
Okay, I admit it. When I first saw the Billboard article, my little old heart got a great big jolt and I did not even notice how close the sales figures of the top three were. I have now settled down, sort of    : 

You are absolutely right! The chart is verrrry interesting and I like it as well.

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 02:40:39 PM »   

VOTE FOR INVISIBLE ON TRL!

Vote online all day!

You can only call in thirty minutes prior to the show.
TRL starts at 5pm EST, so that means you can call from 4:30pm-5pm EST, and then adjust for your time zone.

The phone number is 1-800-DIAL-MTV (1.800.342.5688)
CALL from 4:30pm - 5:00pm (Eastern)
CALL from 3:30pm - 4:00pm (Central)
CALL from 2:30pm - 3:00pm (Mountain)
CALL from  1:30pm - 2:00pm (Pacific)

If voting by name (option "1") enter 2-5-2 (C-L-A)
If voting by video (option "2") enter 4-6-8 (I-N-V)

Remember, everyone is calling at the same time so don't be
discouraged by a busy signal, you will get through!
You can call and vote THREE times PER PHONE LINE/PER DAY!
IMPORTANT:  The first 10 minutes is the easiest time to get through.

Thanks for voting!

FAITH
Guest       Great Article on Foxes on Idol
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 02:42:45 PM »   

http://www.foxesonidol.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=3

I REALLY APPEAR TO BE SUFFERING BIG TIME TODAY FROM OCD. I HAVE TO TURN OFF MY PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 03:30:14 PM »   

Measure of a Man couldn’t stay at #1 forever. In its third week, it has fallen out of that spot. But how far did it fall and how many were sold? Read on for details!

Clay Aiken’s premiere album, Measure of a Man, held out for two weeks at the #1 spot on the Billboard album chart, but it appears that run is over now. The newest information released from Billboard indicates that Measure of a Man has fallen to #3 on further decreased sales while the two-CD set by OutKast has jumped back from #4 to the #1 spot it had previously held.

This really shouldn’t be a surprise to anybody. As I noted last week, “In fact, it would not surprise me – nor most people, probably – to see the album continue to slip over the coming weeks. The fact is that most of his fans have already purchased the album.” Indeed, this appears to be the case. After falling from 613,000 sold in its first week to 225,000 last week, the album is now down an additional 37% to 141,000.

However, this needs to be put into perspective. While the album fell from #1 to #3, the difference between those two spots this week is all of 1000 copies. OutKast sold 142,000 copies while Rod Stewart’s #2 album sold 141,100 – just 100 copies more than Clay’s album. Overall, Measure has sold 979,000 copies in its three weeks, and will easily break the million mark this coming week.

As a comparison, R.E.M.’s newest album – a collection of previously released material – debuted at #8 with 76,000 copies sold. And Luther Vandross’ Live at Radio City Music Hall 2003 debuted at #22.

Considering the small numerical difference in sales between #1 and #3, it won’t take much for Clay to pop back up again, at least to #2. However, it should be noted that OutKast’s sales dropped only 3% last week, so if that trend continues and Clay’s numbers don’t pick up, or at least level off, Measure of a Man might not see the #1 spot again.

FOXES ON IDOL

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 03:39:43 PM »   

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 04:24:18 PM »   

Q: What is your favorite food?

A: Macaroni and Cheese and Krispy Kreme.

Clay, eat your vegetables!

You too can get your own email from Clay.  (No kidding...when the TRL Street Team sends you an email reminding you to vote, it says 'From:  Clay Aiken.'

: Good times!

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 04:56:11 PM »   
________________________________________Invisible was #3 on TRL !!  Yay!!  :P

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 09:17:47 PM »   

Beginning Monday, November 10
     Kid Rock "Feel Like Makin' Love"
     Clay Aiken "Invisible"
     Tarralyn Ramsey "Up Against All Odds"
     Red Hot Chili Peppers "Fortune Faded"
     Mary J. Blige featuring Eve "Not Today"
     Jay-Z "Change Clothes"
     Jet "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"

LINK

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2003, 09:23:43 PM »   

STATS: HOT AC (Hot Adult Contemporary)
DATE: WEDNESDAY, 11/5/03
TIME: 1:14 PM PST
SONG: INVISIBLE
Chart_Rank_This Week: N/A
Chart_Rank_Last Week: N/A
Chart_Spins_This Week: N/A
Chart_Spins_Last Week: N/A
Taking_off_New_spins: 21
Taking_off_New_stations: 1
Jump_Move: +188
Jump_Stations_playing: 19

STATS: AC (Adult Contemporary)
DATE: WEDNESDAY, 11/5/03
TIME: 1:14 PM PST
Chart_Rank_This Week: 18
Chart_Rank_Last Week: 19
Chart_Spins_This Week: 676
Chart_Spins_Last Week: 617
Taking_off_New_spins: 11
Taking_off_New_stations: 1
Jump_Move: +59
Jump_Stations_playing: 75

STATS: CHR/POP (Contemporary Hit Radio/Pop)
DATE: WEDNESDAY, 11/05/03
TIME: 04:54 AM PST
Chart_Rank_This Week: 30
Chart_Rank_Last Week: 36
Chart_Spins_This Week: 1871
Chart_Spins_Last Week: 1482
Taking_off_New_spins: N/A
Taking_off_New_stations: N/A
Jump_Move: +389
Jump_Stations_playing: 98

All numbers are trending up!  Very good news, our efforts at requesting are paying off!  Please try to request Invisible at least once a day at your local AC or CHR/POP radio station.  You can also vote in the national countdowns which are listed in The Polling Place thread.

Power to the people!    :

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2003, 11:09:15 PM »   

"The 31st Annual American Music Awards" arrive Sunday, bringing the sheer expanse of modern tastes.  In three hours (8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Nov. 16 on ABC), the show tries to catch everything that's popular.

Performers include Hilary Duff, Britney Spears, Toby Keith and "American Idol" winner Ruben Studdard. Nominees range from Celine Dion to Bone Crusher. One category includes boy-next-door Clay Aiken and biker-next-door Kid Rock.  Don't ask host Jimmy Kimmel to explain it. He considers the Aiken bandwagon with awe.  "I'm not a teen girl, so it confuses me," Kimmel says. "A lot of things confuse me, though."

- MIKE HUGHES; Gannett News Service

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2003, 11:12:24 PM »   

Clay Aiken became the boy next door to millions when he was named first runner-up of the second season of Fox TV's mega talent-quest show, American Idol. With his all-American looks and flawless voice, he became an overnight sensation. His first single, the double A-side "Bridge Over Troubled Water"/"This Is The Night" has already been certified platinum having sold more copies in its first week than any other single in history.

Here now, is the highly anticipated debut album from the 24-year-old (he turns 25 on November 30, 2003) Raleigh, North Carolina native. Incidentally, Measure of A Man debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart. Can anyone say "instant superstar." As you might expect, this disc is primarily made up of superbly produced love ballads that afford Aiken every opportunity to showcase his rich tenor voice. And he seizes the opportunity with relish.

His heart is in every number and it shows: his range, power and passion are simply breathtaking. There isn't a dull moment or a weak track. The big, glossy sound of "Invisible" opens the disc. A beautifully crafted pop song (written by Desmond Child, Andreas Carlsson and Chris Braide), it harks back to the electric guitar-based torch songs of the '80s. "I Will Carry You" goes a touch further along the pop-rock ballad branch, recalling some of the milder work of Def Leppard.

But it's that voice that dominates and pumps the emotion quotient way up: "When the stars go blind/ And the darkness starts to flood your eyes/ When you're falling behind/ I will carry you." It's high romance all the way with this disc. A natural crooner, Aiken knows how to intone perfectly on delicate ballads like "The Way," a piano-laced, boy-band-style number.

Or he can work his magic on a more regal song like "No More Sad Songs" (think latter day Elton John-Bernie Taupin). "Run To Me" starts out soft as velvet but swells on a sea of strings and, by its climax, Aiken is cutting loose in his upper register with magnificent control and sustain. "This Is The Night," added here as a bonus track, is a deeply moving love song with a huge-hook chorus and, just for something completely different, there's the reverb guitar and Latin rhythms of "Touch" -- guaranteed to get some sultry dancing happening.

It's early days in the career of Clay Aiken. As he moves from television phenomenon to bona fide recording star, fans can rest assured that there's plenty more where this came from. But boy, what a way to start!

WAL MART REVIEW

ClayManiacs.com  |  Archive  |  Aiken News Network (ANN)  |  2003 AIKEN NEWS NETWORK NOVEMBER 5

gfxgfx
gfx